Compass Group
www.compass-group.com Chertsey, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Compass Group Reviews

Updated Apr 07, 2014
Compass Group – UK – “EY Top Chefs”

Compass Group Chairman Sir Roy A. Gardner

Sir Roy A. Gardner

Pros:
  • "Large company with good benefits"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Best work environment and professionally qualified staff in my team makes me very comfortable to work with"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "very low pay for lower scale jobs"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Working long hours, always lack of staff, no decent salaries, no loyalty events for staff, no moral or career motivations"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

intimidation at agco site compass abbey park stoneleigh

Catering Assistant (Former Employee)
Kenilworth, England

I worked at Compass Group full-time for more than a year

Proswhat is there a policy of intimidating been allow to go on at compass agco site abbey park warwickshire cv8 2tq and no higher management is prepared to deal with it ,can you verify that it is ok to intimidate fellow staff member

Consgreat company to work for if you are not subject to intimidation or hounding by other members of staff

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management are not interested in bully tactics by other members of staff,as it seems to be a pecking order of friends and is quickly swept under the carpet

Got me through uni

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Compass Group

ProsIt paid me money that got me through uni, learned a lot about customer service which is serving me very well currently

ConsZero hours contract, and they messed up all my paper work when I left but other than that it was a good job with good people and I miss it very much

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of zero hours contacts

Good job for flexibility

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Compass Group as a contractor for more than a year

ProsIt's a casual job so can supplement your main job or is good if you are a student. Tips can be good depending on the restaurant you are working in. People are generally very nice. Overall it's a good job.

ConsAs it's an event based company, the senior management tend to get very stressed out during the day and can take it out on their staff - you need a thick skin at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can catch more bee's with honey than vinegar..

One big lie. They trick you into thinking you are secure in your role when really they are holding a knife at your back.

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Compass Group part-time for less than a year

ProsThe co workers, definitely not including management, you meet some of the most amazing and hardworking people and certainly build great friendships. We're a real team and that is something I'll miss when I quit.

ConsManagement will do anything to cover their backs! They will lie, commit fraud, you name it and odds are they've probably done it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees some trust, rather than expecting us to blindly follow and throw ourselves in front of a knife (job loss) for you.

The management do not care...

Kitchen Assistant In A School (Former Employee)
Leeds, England

I worked at Compass Group part-time for less than a year

ProsNo pros as they don't care about children or employees

Conscons is working for them

Advice to Senior ManagementMy 3 year old daughter recently broke her arm one Sunday afternoon which required a visit to the hospital. We finally got home at 1am and at 7.50am I informed work about the situation. My daughter had a fresh pot put on her arm BTW. Work then proceeded to order me to get a baby sitter and return to work immediately while spouting about company policy. In fact the rest of the conversation was awful and as a result I felt I was pushed out of my job and to date not one person has got back to us. Loss of earnings...Pushed out. And this is in a school. if they don't care about my daughter then they don't care about the other 1000 children in school or any other school. In fact the regional manager took great pleasure in telling me that when her children are ill, she get's a baby sitter and gets straight to work.

Supervisor (Casual Contract) great opportunities if you know the right people

Hospitality Supervisor (Former Employee)
Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Compass Group part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFantastic venues, all over the UK. Really flexible - you can pick your own shifts if you're on a casual contract.

ConsNot a huge amount of investment in training (probably due to the casual nature of my contact). Opportunities are great if you get in with the right people - but that can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome middle management were very destructive to the overall team - their people management skills were severely lacking and they often had a bad attitude.

Extreamly Unprofessional

CSA (Current Employee)
Cheam, England

I have been working at Compass Group part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe location is great... Thats thr only plus point....

ConsThe company is very unprofessional!! The managers dont respect the staff. The team leader dosnn't know how to use a till and some staff too! We have got a new manager and she tris to boss everyone and doesn't listen to any suggestions. In a recent occasion she lied to one of the staff! Working conditions are bad. and nobody speaks about a raise for a long time employees. They are all on the same wage for many years!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlase see whats happening in the stores and listen to the problems of saff and not just the managment. Improve the working conditions and keep those managers who can respect staff.

current employee?

Csa (Current Employee)
Sunderland, North East England, England

I have been working at Compass Group part-time for less than a year

Prosits a job and that's that i cant really think of a good point about working for this company

Consvery unorganized when it comes to wages currently been in employment 3 months and still no sign of a wage
also agree with other reviews stating its not what you know in this company

Advice to Senior Managementsort out wages people have homes and family's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sort out management staff as they dont help to sort a problem just tend to be fobbed off over and over

Unprofessional management.compass group not deliveing contract agreements.

Team Leader Catering (Current Employee)
Ipswich, England

I have been working at Compass Group part-time for more than a year

ProsIdeal if your willing to be walked all over and prepared to turn the odd blind eye, and except favoutisum in the work place.

ConsIts more about profit than producing quality. Cutting hours not using labour that has been paid thu contracts.They never listen to staff needs and they have little regards for customers and complaints.
Its about gross proffit thats all.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your area/chef managers. Use the labour hours you are paid for rather than squirelling the profit away. Judge and promote thu abilliy rather than favouritism.

great team, great atmosphere

Barista (Former Employee)
Liverpool, England

I worked at Compass Group part-time for less than a year

ProsYou get to work with great people, the money is good, management is great and the atmosphere is great. As a part time opportunity it's great whilst at university!

Consnot enough opportunity to work near to home (Coventry) no feedback for vacancy that I applied for.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease follow up jobs applied for as I was waiting weeks, was supposed to have an interview but, was cancelled by the manager at the Ricoh Coventry.

Worked for Compass Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Compass Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Compass Group CEO Sir Roy A. Gardner. All 81 reviews are posted anonymously by Compass Group employees.