Compass Group

Updated 21 October 2014
2.9

Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins
Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Great people that are passionate (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, low pay because of being in food service industry (in 5 reviews)

• Not enough full-time jobs in NYC or Long Island (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

great

I have been working at Compass Group

Pros

people are friendly and professional

Cons

procedures to do with health and safety

Service Assistant - Wimbledon Championships

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England

I worked at Compass Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Mostly students looking to work before, during and after University to make some money. Good conditions to work long hours and secure a good sum of cash.

- Friendly Staff
    - Nice working Conditions

Cons

- Too many 'managers', therefore confusion over who is running what

- Know which is your 'sector' to manage.

Good company, pay less than another but offer a lot of training for free.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Sutton, London, England
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Sutton, London, England

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The biggest catering company in Europe.

Cons

Very busy place, you have to be very organised working as manager.

Pay rise for everyone :)

too many lazy chefs

Former Employee - Kitchen Porter in Kenilworth, England
    Former Employee - Kitchen Porter in Kenilworth, England

I worked at Compass Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good rates of pay,good working hours,nice clean place to work

Cons

Lazy chefs ,spend to much time sitting down drinking tea and coffee,slating fellow workers while not contributing to the working team,love nothing better than creeping round management and talking a good game,while they are talking they are not working,laziest people in the whole company,waitress are the best workers along with the manager.

Best Manager in Compass,on the Agco site,Stoneleigh abbey park ,Coventry Warwickshire,her name is Jo Nicklin,one of the best managers i have ever worked for,first class attitude,very professional to both staff and customers alike,pleasant manner,brilliant outlook,friendly person,brilliant worker never stops,great team player and team builder,always clean and tidy and smiling ,never allowed to do her job properly ,always being belittled by chefs and does not receive the support from senior management or area managers,does not get the recondition she deserves ,she will go far in Compass if she is allowed to,and does not get chefs putting major obstacles in her way making it very difficult.She is superb,wonderful,and one of the nicest girls you will ever come across 10 out 10 for me,as a former employee i will miss her massively She is amazing the way she is,look after her.

Once upon a time I was happy with my job.....

Current Employee - Catering Assistant
    Current Employee - Catering Assistant

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My colleagues are brilliant, we work together as a tight knit team.

Cons

Head office have absolutely no idea about actually working on the front line, they come across that they don't care. We have a new manager who couldn't organise anything, we carry him do much he may aswell not be there.

Be fair on your employees and tell other managers, especially the hub leaders not to go around thinking they are better than anyone else, because they are not.

Poor

Former Employee - Waiter in Chatham, England
    Former Employee - Waiter in Chatham, England

I worked at Compass Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management are bully's the pay is crap the job is carp and they don't give you your month in hand when you leave well they don't pay you nothing at all the take it all away from you. the management take stock to sell on the side made to work with no lunch the most worst company you could ever work for they say the make 14 billion a year but they won't freed the staff or pay them better compass / ess Medway should be looked in to by the police becouse there doing things against the law

Cons

Trying to stay alive the amont of hour they make you do and not pay you for it

You should all be locked up

Poor managment

Current Employee - Cleaner in Haverfordwest, Wales
    Current Employee - Cleaner in Haverfordwest, Wales

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good supervisor. Fun crew to work with all 3 of them

Cons

Low pay, no pay rise now since 2010, wanting too much to be done in the time limit given normal clean is two hours but yet if done right would take 2 hours 30 mins. Not enough hours so run on skeleton crew so if some one is sick or on holiday no one to cover them since been there they have cut 100 hours a month just for pure profit for who could I guess

Up the hours, if you say your coming down come down, put uniform on different budget instead of cleaning budget ( part of icm compass group) produce ids for the staff.

Quiet but not career opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Safe working place, good standard

Cons

no bonus, no career, a lot a flexibility's request

Better shift organization and encourage the services through bonuses

Terrible job - mixture of a leech and slave-camp company that are present from where I come from... (Eastern Europe)

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Compass Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- great team, we helped each other to survie from one day to another
    - money on time
    - usually two days off per week
    - learned some new skills (barista)

Cons

- minimal wage: we spend many hours of private time on online courses which were ment to be paid but never were, the same was with ridiculous raise (20p per hour) which was denied from us even if all of us met the requirements for it.
    - unfair treatment: new workers got better contracts and wages than us although we still had to train them to do the job!
    - no salary while being sick, zero benefits at work: we were denied to drink or eat food from the place I worked cause the company was saving money on us - they explained it was due to the fact we were a franchise belonging to compass group / medirest and had different policy.
    - huge rotation of staff due to horrible working conditions (in the last 3 weeks I worked 6 people quit, during the half a year I worked more than 30)
    - never enough staff so a small and weaken team had to deal with workload which should be spread among higher amount of staff members (people rather pretended to be sick not earning the money than come to work)
    - poor managment, breaking law: demanding doctors sick note after 2 days of work, sometimes fisnishing shift at 10pm and starting for example 6-7am next day, skipping money check with newly open tills to save time, overal inhuman treatment and expectations (not from supervisors as they were in same bad situation as us, but from head office)
    - it often happened that the "office" paid less hours than you actually worked, even if I counted hours myself they always found a magic way to pay less, so after some time I just stopped counting them as it was useless
    - poor hygiene of workplace, it was clean and everything was working great only during audit days - and it is a hospital!
    - constant problems that were slowing down our work: broken sinks, broken fridges, ice blenders etc.
    - fussy customers: most of them were angry at quality of service and its speed - basicly caused by reasons mentioned above. (There is always a queue of 10-20 people)
    - stupid ideas of how to improve our work presented by big bosses - they only know work from the "sitting in the office" perspective trying to implement some ideas which are totally useless. Few days of observation would be better than creating some solutions from the air...
    - no extra money if you work on weekends or holiday, very poor holiday payment
    - slim chances of progression and zero financial or at least mental motivation to do so.
    - unreachable targets as a part of money saving strategies
    - zero work/income stability as the company used to cut hours or not employ new members off staff to squize as much work from current employees as possible. Only when they reached a dangerously low amount of staff they threw some job adverts to fill up some of the holes.
    - very poor training, sometimes non-existing due to shortage of staff
    - frustrating as you see either your supervisors or collegues to burst out crying occasionally when they cannot cope with a given situation ( manage shift with 2 staff members while there should be 5 or 6 of them as we serve easily over 1000 customers daily)

Just go and work as one of us for a week you will see...
    Maybe try to be a human instead of seeing us only as a tool to create revenue. Even tools break if you dont care about them eventually...
    Worked at Costa, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.

Worked full time hours on zero-hour contract as a salesman/barista/kitchen porter for half a year there and staff members already called me veteran which explains it all... Costa as a company may be a nice play to work, but the franchise I worked for just brings the shame to this coffee shop brand. I pity all the good, honest and hardworking people who are still there...

Got me through uni

I worked at Compass Group

Pros

It paid me money that got me through uni, learned a lot about customer service which is serving me very well currently

Cons

Zero hours contract, and they messed up all my paper work when I left but other than that it was a good job with good people and I miss it very much

Get rid of zero hours contacts

Compass Group Photos