Compass Group

Updated 17 December 2014
3.1

Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins
Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Great people that are passionate (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, low pay because of being in food service industry (in 5 reviews)

• Not enough full-time jobs in NYC or Long Island (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible job - mixture of a leech and slave-camp company that are present from where I come from... (Eastern Europe)

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Compass Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- great team, we helped each other to survie from one day to another
    - money on time
    - usually two days off per week
    - learned some new skills (barista)

Cons

- minimal wage: we spend many hours of private time on online courses which were ment to be paid but never were, the same was with ridiculous raise (20p per hour) which was denied from us even if all of us met the requirements for it.
    - unfair treatment: new workers got better contracts and wages than us although we still had to train them to do the job!
    - no salary while being sick, zero benefits at work: we were denied to drink or eat food from the place I worked cause the company was saving money on us - they explained it was due to the fact we were a franchise belonging to compass group / medirest and had different policy.
    - huge rotation of staff due to horrible working conditions (in the last 3 weeks I worked 6 people quit, during the half a year I worked more than 30)
    - never enough staff so a small and weaken team had to deal with workload which should be spread among higher amount of staff members (people rather pretended to be sick not earning the money than come to work)
    - poor managment, breaking law: demanding doctors sick note after 2 days of work, sometimes fisnishing shift at 10pm and starting for example 6-7am next day, skipping money check with newly open tills to save time, overal inhuman treatment and expectations (not from supervisors as they were in same bad situation as us, but from head office)
    - it often happened that the "office" paid less hours than you actually worked, even if I counted hours myself they always found a magic way to pay less, so after some time I just stopped counting them as it was useless
    - poor hygiene of workplace, it was clean and everything was working great only during audit days - and it is a hospital!
    - constant problems that were slowing down our work: broken sinks, broken fridges, ice blenders etc.
    - fussy customers: most of them were angry at quality of service and its speed - basicly caused by reasons mentioned above. (There is always a queue of 10-20 people)
    - stupid ideas of how to improve our work presented by big bosses - they only know work from the "sitting in the office" perspective trying to implement some ideas which are totally useless. Few days of observation would be better than creating some solutions from the air...
    - no extra money if you work on weekends or holiday, very poor holiday payment
    - slim chances of progression and zero financial or at least mental motivation to do so.
    - unreachable targets as a part of money saving strategies
    - zero work/income stability as the company used to cut hours or not employ new members off staff to squize as much work from current employees as possible. Only when they reached a dangerously low amount of staff they threw some job adverts to fill up some of the holes.
    - very poor training, sometimes non-existing due to shortage of staff
    - frustrating as you see either your supervisors or collegues to burst out crying occasionally when they cannot cope with a given situation ( manage shift with 2 staff members while there should be 5 or 6 of them as we serve easily over 1000 customers daily)

Just go and work as one of us for a week you will see...
    Maybe try to be a human instead of seeing us only as a tool to create revenue. Even tools break if you dont care about them eventually...
    Worked at Costa, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.

Worked full time hours on zero-hour contract as a salesman/barista/kitchen porter for half a year there and staff members already called me veteran which explains it all... Costa as a company may be a nice play to work, but the franchise I worked for just brings the shame to this coffee shop brand. I pity all the good, honest and hardworking people who are still there...

Got me through uni

I worked at Compass Group

Pros

It paid me money that got me through uni, learned a lot about customer service which is serving me very well currently

Cons

Zero hours contract, and they messed up all my paper work when I left but other than that it was a good job with good people and I miss it very much

Get rid of zero hours contacts

Good job for flexibility

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Compass Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

It's a casual job so can supplement your main job or is good if you are a student. Tips can be good depending on the restaurant you are working in. People are generally very nice. Overall it's a good job.

Cons

As it's an event based company, the senior management tend to get very stressed out during the day and can take it out on their staff - you need a thick skin at times.

You can catch more bee's with honey than vinegar..

One big lie. They trick you into thinking you are secure in your role when really they are holding a knife at your back.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The co workers, definitely not including management, you meet some of the most amazing and hardworking people and certainly build great friendships. We're a real team and that is something I'll miss when I quit.

Cons

Management will do anything to cover their backs! They will lie, commit fraud, you name it and odds are they've probably done it.

Give your employees some trust, rather than expecting us to blindly follow and throw ourselves in front of a knife (job loss) for you.

The management do not care...

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant In A School in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant In A School in Leeds, England

I worked at Compass Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No pros as they don't care about children or employees

Cons

cons is working for them

My 3 year old daughter recently broke her arm one Sunday afternoon which required a visit to the hospital. We finally got home at 1am and at 7.50am I informed work about the situation. My daughter had a fresh pot put on her arm BTW. Work then proceeded to order me to get a baby sitter and return to work immediately while spouting about company policy. In fact the rest of the conversation was awful and as a result I felt I was pushed out of my job and to date not one person has got back to us. Loss of earnings...Pushed out. And this is in a school. if they don't care about my daughter then they don't care about the other 1000 children in school or any other school. In fact the regional manager took great pleasure in telling me that when her children are ill, she get's a baby sitter and gets straight to work.

Extreamly Unprofessional

Current Employee - CSA in Cheam, England
    Current Employee - CSA in Cheam, England

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The location is great... Thats thr only plus point....

Cons

The company is very unprofessional!! The managers dont respect the staff. The team leader dosnn't know how to use a till and some staff too! We have got a new manager and she tris to boss everyone and doesn't listen to any suggestions. In a recent occasion she lied to one of the staff! Working conditions are bad. and nobody speaks about a raise for a long time employees. They are all on the same wage for many years!

Plase see whats happening in the stores and listen to the problems of saff and not just the managment. Improve the working conditions and keep those managers who can respect staff.

current employee?

Current Employee - CSA in Sunderland, North East England, England
    Current Employee - CSA in Sunderland, North East England, England

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

its a job and that's that i cant really think of a good point about working for this company

Cons

very unorganized when it comes to wages currently been in employment 3 months and still no sign of a wage
    also agree with other reviews stating its not what you know in this company

sort out wages people have homes and family's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    sort out management staff as they dont help to sort a problem just tend to be fobbed off over and over

Unprofessional management.compass group not deliveing contract agreements.

Current Employee - Team Leader Catering in Ipswich, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader Catering in Ipswich, England

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ideal if your willing to be walked all over and prepared to turn the odd blind eye, and except favoutisum in the work place.

Cons

Its more about profit than producing quality. Cutting hours not using labour that has been paid thu contracts.They never listen to staff needs and they have little regards for customers and complaints.
    Its about gross proffit thats all.

Train your area/chef managers. Use the labour hours you are paid for rather than squirelling the profit away. Judge and promote thu abilliy rather than favouritism.

Supervisor (Casual Contract) great opportunities if you know the right people

Former Employee - Hospitality Supervisor in Cardiff, Wales
    Former Employee - Hospitality Supervisor in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Compass Group part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic venues, all over the UK. Really flexible - you can pick your own shifts if you're on a casual contract.

Cons

Not a huge amount of investment in training (probably due to the casual nature of my contact). Opportunities are great if you get in with the right people - but that can be difficult.

Some middle management were very destructive to the overall team - their people management skills were severely lacking and they often had a bad attitude.

great team, great atmosphere

Former Employee - Barista in Liverpool, England
    Former Employee - Barista in Liverpool, England

I worked at Compass Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with great people, the money is good, management is great and the atmosphere is great. As a part time opportunity it's great whilst at university!

Cons

not enough opportunity to work near to home (Coventry) no feedback for vacancy that I applied for.

Please follow up jobs applied for as I was waiting weeks, was supposed to have an interview but, was cancelled by the manager at the Ricoh Coventry.

Compass Group Photos