ConAgra Foods

Updated 15 December 2014
3.1

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin
Gary M. Rodkin

Pros
  • Work life balance can be good depending on your manager (in 33 reviews)

• Excellent pay and benefits, and the company values are outstanding (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance because of cutting positions to the bone (in 9 reviews)

• Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I have been working at ConAgra Foods

Pros

Company mission and strategy is simple, to become the fastest Top Line and Bottom Line growth food company. This permeates the organization and sets priorities along deliberate continuous improvement

Cons

Some facets and sites aren't aligned along the core processes for achieving this goal -CPS

Keep Driving CPS -It's the foundation for improving the Top and Bottom Lines of the companyk

Harvest Lead

Former Employee - Harvest Lead in American Falls, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Harvest Lead in American Falls, ID (US)

I worked at ConAgra Foods

Pros

Great people to work with, Great Management, Great Culture

Cons

Pay could be a little better

Great place

I have been working at ConAgra Foods

Pros

Love this place and the diversity initiatives.

Cons

Pay could be a little higher.

Change required to move forward

Former Employee - Vice President in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people
    Fair pay and benefits
    Big company offering variety of roles

Cons

Lots of people looking to jump ship right now and many good people have left
    Lack of accountability
    Highly matrixed and lots of finger pointing
    Inconsistent messages to broader org
    Need transformational CEO and some new blood at the senior exec level
    Private brands business not performing and not sure is a fit with CAG branded biz
    Talent mgmt is done but not used when making people decisions

Be courageous in setting strategy and be disciplined in execution
    Don't settle for mediocrity - be willing to make the tough calls in people and business issues alike
    Realize that running the same play over and over hoping for a different outcome will not work
    Transformational change is needed at the top to get this company moving forward

Great People, Lacking in Execution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, flexible work hours, great Summer Hours (early dismissal on Fridays), dress for the day. They hire the best and brightest, great people to work with.

Cons

Very fragmented business units/matrixed organization who are all vying for control/ownership of marketing strategy, limited ability to change our internal business practices based on evolving competitive landscape and consumer needs, very limited career growth opportunities. Lots of silos in the organization despite attempts to create one culture, many groups have their own hidden agendas.

There are solid strategies, but we (internally) are our own enemies. Too slow to evolve to meet the changing tides. Matrixed organization creates a lot of unnecessary churn, extra layers of approvals, making it slower to implement change

So Much Potential, but Disappointing Overall

Former Employee - Director in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

ConAgra Foods has several soft benefits that make life a little bit easier: dress for your day (allowing for jeans outside of important business days), flexible work arrangements (allowing for flexible times and telecommuting), summer Fridays (between memorial and labor day, Fridays getting out at 1PM). There is a lot of potential for future business results.

Cons

Leadership generally has a lot of in-fighting, creating political battles throughout the organization. The company will have a year of greater than 100% incentive payout to the next year being 20% incentive payout. There is very much a roller coaster effective

Good people, but poor results driven by bad strategies and ineffective senior leader

Former Employee - Mid-level Leader in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Mid-level Leader in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and - for the most part - day to day working conditions. Talk about operating principles and ways we win, but senior leaders don't walk the talk.

Cons

Really nice people, but organization is driven by culture of "go along to get along" vs. driving for results. Results focused individuals don't have very long lives - they don't fit in. Those who don't "fit in" end up finding themselves marginalized and either out on their own or out with the next reorganization. Leaders promote "cliques" and don't mask indifference or disdain for others.

Look at who is leaving - and why. Exit surveys won't give you the answers.

Puppy Mill

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay, some good people. You will learn a lot.. good experience, resume builder. Good advancement opportunities if you know how to play the game.

Cons

Style over substance makes you move up. The organization is very slow moving and shows consistently poor results. Top Heavy organization.

The only saving grace is that a new CEO is coming in. Hope he/she prunes some dead wood, (people and brands). Slash SG&A by 30%. We are too top heavy and spend too much time aligning stakeholders and giving updates. Too much of a CYA environment. Be trusting of and trustworthy to your employees. Culture and Values are lived, not painted on a wall. Your employees do see the difference.

System Analyst position

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time

Pros

Nice people, lots of learning

Cons

No work life balance, Work on weekends too

Great place to work as long as you can keep your mouth shut and stay off managements radar.

Former Employee - Production Assistant/Maintenance Mechanic in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Production employees on the floor are some of the best I have ever worked with. Safety is a top priority driven by the production employees. Everyone is always looking out for you to make sure you are working safely. Veterans are always willing to take the time to teach you new things as long as you are willing to learn. Clean facility, requires constant attention over the course of your shift. For the most part everyone helps contribute to this goal. I've heard stories about the corporate world and how they don't care about their employees. I never got that feeling working there. I worked as a production assistant for 6 years and loved it. Then took a position in maintenance (Against my better judgement) and it all went downhill from there.

Cons

12 Hour shifts, some like it some don't. Seniority rules so you will eventually get put on night shift. They allow you to accumulate vacation time, but it is next to impossible to use it. If you are unfortunate to get on an improvement team then you usually have to come in on your day off for meetings. Over managed, the left hand of management doesn't know what the right hand is doing most of the time. It's hard to talk to your boss because they change structure weekly and you can't keep track of who you report to. There are opportunities for advancement as long as you are willing to take the position that management wants you to do. Even if you are qualified and there is an opening, the manager of that department has to like you in order to be considered.

For the most part management will leave you alone if you are doing your job. But watch your back because if they have to throw you to the wolves to cover their mistake they won't hesitate. I developed a severe distrust over the last couple of years because I was coerced into taking a promotion (Against my better judgement) by promising me things they couldn't deliver like training and school. And then being stuck in that position because I was told I wasn't qualified for any other position in the plant. When an employee tells you they don't feel safe in their current position take the time to listen and consider their situation. That is if you care whether or not the person stays or leaves. I was told "management doesn't care if I quit" I didn't want to believe that was true. But I found out on my last day all of my fellow production employees went out of their way to wish me luck. But, none of the managers bothered to even say goodbye to me. I didn't want to quit, but didn't have a choice and I can't say I didn't give you the opportunity to keep me there.