Convergys

Updated Jul 28, 2014

2.9 1,267 reviews

Convergys President & CEO Andrea Ayers

Andrea Ayers

Pros
  • Work from home so no hassle of dealing with traffic jams and getting suit ready for work (in 83 reviews)

• Great training job to work in a high busy work environment (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • 6 dollars an hour lower than the prevailing call center wage in this area (in 65 reviews)

• There is no work life balance, since schedule is often very incosistant (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights
1,267 Employee Reviews

systems analyst Cambridge

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England

ProsCool work environment. Heavy use of C/C++ with Oracle stored procedures. Main product is Telecom rating and billing used by Tier-1 operators. Follows mature software development process and scope to learn a lot for fresh graduates because of extensive code base and chance to enhance it.

ConsSalary is not highly competitive.
    Work gets bored after few years.

Not great / The HR don't seem to care much about their employees

Direct Sales Advisor (Current Employee) Altrincham, England

Pros-Commission
    -Staff Canteen
    -Big call centre (More than 500 staff)
    -2 weeks thorough training
    -You will be working for blue chip clients like Vodafone and O2

Cons- They make you sign a contract where you agree to pay £400 back in training fees if you decide to leave the job or are fired (if you have worked there 3 months or less), and they take £200 off your salary for training fees if you quite or are fired and have been working there less than 6 months, but more than 3 months.

-They try and strip your commission for absolutely everything even silly things like being absent once a month for 3 consecutive months (even if you are genuinely ill).

-They check every single reference and talk to every singlet employer you've put down on your CV.

-So much protocol to follow, even ridiculous things like you have to take your headset home with you everyday and if you leave it in the call centre, they'll charge you £40 quid.

Advice to Senior Management- Be a bit more understanding with people, and don't try and take their commission for stupid little things. It seems like you guys actually don't want to pay out any commission and look for any excuse to keep most of it.

poor show

General Scape Goat (Current Employee) Leeds, England

ProsThe majority of the staff have no spine and allow the management to take liberties.
    the agents at this company need to unite and stand against the management, the agents are the company without the agents there is no company.
    STAND UP AND TELL THEM, STOP SUGAR COATING FEEDBACK< BACK UP YOUR COLLEAGUES WHO ARE PREPARED TO SPEAK UP TO THE MANAGEMENT, THEY ARE NOTHING WITHOUT YOU!

ConsAs per previous reviews for a company that claims it's agents are at it's heart why do they treat them like second rate citizens. I have always believed we treat people as we are treated, the management in this company will be it's downfall, if the agents treat there customers like the management treat them, bullying, ignoring concerns, not addressing queries.
    there are to many people in this company happy to accept things as they are, I am the type of person who accepts the responsibility to make changes for the better of my community so I don't fit with this companies real ethos.
    In brief if you are happy to be abused by the management, paid a pittance ( and docked for personal breaks penalised for being seconds late ) work for a company that only cares about filling seats then this job is perfect for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for management other than get out and let some worthy management in.
    THIS IS TO ANY COMPANY LOOKING TO OUTSOURCE TO THIS COMPANY " DO NOT DO IT " the ethics of this Company are sub human.
    Anyone looking at employment within this company I would suggest thinking carefully as this company has no interest in basic human needs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing was buzzing, but the company was dull

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you wanted a fairly secure job, with not much of pressure, this was a great place to work. The management was quite western, respectful and accommodating.

ConsThe company lacked a buzz. Ideas didn't find ears. People lacked accountability. Appraisal system was very bland, non-transparent, with very little scope to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has now been been acquired by another, so no point.

Good experience, could be even better

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Newcastle upon Tyne, England

ProsNice place and surroundings
    Good atmosphere and events
    Good local benefits

ConsBad organisation according to enterprise capacities

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more adventurous and concerned

Pay/Benefits are good, but the polices are still very 'call center' based

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Newcastle upon Tyne, England

ProsRelaxed working environment, free coffee machine, no scheduled breaks, 1-2-1's done on time and feedback given, managers easy to approach. Will pay you for 30 minutes extra every day if you log in 15 minutes early and stay 15 minutes late

ConsAlthough classed as a contact center, the systems are aimed at monitoring like a call center. Breaks are timed to the second, and being over by a second takes a minutes pay off you. If you are a second late logging in, in the morning you get a point, after 6 you're on a warning. Unless you want to move into people management there is no opportunity for advancement

Great experience, limited promotion prospects

Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) New Bedfont, England

ProsDedicated to delivering a great customer experience.
    Talented and committed staff and line managers.
    Company is strongly committed to meeting regulatory compliance.

ConsBeing an out-sourced service, they suffer the down-sides of any economic challenge first.
    Senior management felt very distanced from our roles and didn't seem completely engaged.
    Even when a member of senior management visited Cisco UK, they didn't take the time to hear our views or check "our" customer satisfaction.... Mass meetings with 125 colleagues present don't count.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is more to "management" than excel spreadsheets. If you build "teams" to address specific niche's or verticals, meet with those teams to address shared issues and concerns.

Heartless, Biased and a complete joke of a company.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Newcastle upon Tyne, England

ProsThey have no pros they are a joke of a company.

ConsThey discriminate against you and victimise against you if you go against them and support your fellow colleagues or if your face does not fit in.
    They also fabricate and concoct doctored documents to try and discredit you in every way, they are cretins.
    The management lie and try to cover their own backs when they really can't manage a simple task. they are glory managers who do not know their bum from their elbow.
    The HR department are completely lacking in any form of human decency or morals and treat you like garbage.
    And will do every thing in there power to completely belittle you in every way.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some human decency and get a soul and stop being such a complete and utter two faced company who pretend to have their employees best interests at heart when they never do.
    And also stop going the way you are going or no one will ever want to be there, as none of the employees are happy there and they think the management is a JOKE!!!!!!

Slow decay from high quality to low cost

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England

ProsSome very knowledgeable people working there. It's possible to learn a lot here, especially about working in tri-continental (US?Europe/India) development teams.

The employee stock-purchase scheme is excellent, and permits the intelligent employee to leverage his salary a further 2.5-3% higher. However, most employees were too thick to see this.

ConsA growing sense of doom and gloom, as the corporation discovered that it had no idea how to manage a large software product, and reacted by cutting costs until things broke down.

It's hard to be noticed here -- you're just one of hundreds of engineers working on the product.

The corporate appraisal system is garbage: one goal for everyone is "Produces outstanding results", with a rating scale from "Not achieved" to "Over-achieved". How can one overachieve on exceptional results? It's clearly designed to ensure that no-one can get a pay rise.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the business -- you simply do not have the skills necessary to develop the Infinys product any further.

Enlightening but dissapointing

Virtual Partner Account Manager (Current Employee) Newcastle upon Tyne, England

ProsYou get a chance to meet some great people both at Convergys and from the clients. Good place to build international business connections and learn some specialized skills. (depending on the program you work for)

ConsThey do not value their employees. It is a very one way street, unrealistic demands and next to nothing in return for showing progress and success. One of their core values and motto's state their employees are their greatest resource, but they have a very poor attitude and a mentality to replace rather than build employee loyalty. Appalling sick leave policy that forces people to come into the office while genuinely ill, often spreading the illness around on the team and the floor instead of allowing work from home or sick leave without warning with doctors note.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to your employees. Make the rewards measure to your demands and expectations to build the loyalty of your existing employees. Review the sick leave policy to not punish people for being genuinely ill. Allow work from home for contagious employees is one example.

Worked for Convergys? Contribute to the Community!