Convergys Reviews

2.9
1,389 Reviews

Convergys President & CEO Andrea Ayers
Andrea Ayers

Pros
  • Work from home so no hassle of dealing with traffic jams and getting suit ready for work (in 87 reviews)

• Fairly consistent work environment, good exposure to a unique industry (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • 6 dollars an hour lower than the prevailing call center wage in this area (in 72 reviews)

• benefits are too expensive, there is no work-life balance, at Convergys, work is your life (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Glad to get a job there, glad to be laid off a few years later

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Convergys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company was rarely at risk of not making payroll this month. The company's historical technical assets provided some kind of useful context for making money, even if quality slowly sagged and sank.

Cons

Convergys was not really interested in being a successful business. A large, bureaucratic monolith, utterly unsuited to the inter-continental nature of collaborating development teams in Asia, Europe and the Americas. The amazing in-fighting apparent at Cincinnati head office eventually spilled over in to massive redundancies for the plebs.

Why not sell the Information Management business to a group of Ukrainian gangsters? Oh, wait...

No wonder they are always hiring!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Convergys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well, if you count the free coffee machines...

Cons

As someone's review said:
    "They discriminate against you and victimise against you if you go against them and support your fellow colleagues or if your face does not fit in.
    They also fabricate and concoct doctored documents to try and discredit you in every way, they are cretins."

I wholeheartedly agree. my face didn't fit. So they treated me like a leper, trying to find any excuse not to talk to me. I'd be sitting with them in close proximity and they wouldn't even engage the new person on the team-me. I managed to strike up a friendship with another girl who was also being treated the same-she was new too.

It wasn't just on my campaign- A new girl whom I struck a friendship with said the very same things I felt. Basically, unless you act a certain way, you are an outcast.

Even if I was a second late from my break, I was penalised.

I felt dread going into the Newcastle offices every sing;e day I worked there. Can you imagine a shift from 2-10pm the most words you have directed at you are around 5-6? Even though you try to make conversation?
    It was like being back at school.

And you want to know what the worst is...? They lost a very hardworking and dedicated person who would have given their all to the company... Without even getting to know her.

Team leaders are too busy being best mates with their favourite customer service assistants and promoting them to even treat you fairly. Team leaders are out of touch- the majority of them. My team leader was too busy looking for mistakes with people to notice the good that they did do.
    All the cake sales and team bbq' are not going to make up for the fact that the teams don't feel like teams.

Dynamic company

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at Convergys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Convergys is a dynamic company focused on call centre outsourcing. The scale means that the company has the muscle to do big things.

Cons

Convergys purchased a smaller technology company that it was struggling to integrate effectively.

Technology sales are very different to selling call centre agents time. Sales cycles are a lot longer, so this should be taken into account when setting and tracking targets.

Not great / The HR don't seem to care much about their employees

Current Employee - Direct Sales Advisor in Altrincham, England
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Advisor in Altrincham, England

I have been working at Convergys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Commission
    -Staff Canteen
    -Big call centre (More than 500 staff)
    -2 weeks thorough training
    -You will be working for blue chip clients like Vodafone and O2

Cons

- They make you sign a contract where you agree to pay £400 back in training fees if you decide to leave the job or are fired (if you have worked there 3 months or less), and they take £200 off your salary for training fees if you quite or are fired and have been working there less than 6 months, but more than 3 months.

-They try and strip your commission for absolutely everything even silly things like being absent once a month for 3 consecutive months (even if you are genuinely ill).

-They check every single reference and talk to every singlet employer you've put down on your CV.

-So much protocol to follow, even ridiculous things like you have to take your headset home with you everyday and if you leave it in the call centre, they'll charge you £40 quid.

- Be a bit more understanding with people, and don't try and take their commission for stupid little things. It seems like you guys actually don't want to pay out any commission and look for any excuse to keep most of it.

systems analyst Cambridge

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Convergys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cool work environment. Heavy use of C/C++ with Oracle stored procedures. Main product is Telecom rating and billing used by Tier-1 operators. Follows mature software development process and scope to learn a lot for fresh graduates because of extensive code base and chance to enhance it.

Cons

Salary is not highly competitive.
    Work gets bored after few years.

poor show

Current Employee - General Scape Goat in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - General Scape Goat in Leeds, England

I have been working at Convergys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The majority of the staff have no spine and allow the management to take liberties.
    the agents at this company need to unite and stand against the management, the agents are the company without the agents there is no company.
    STAND UP AND TELL THEM, STOP SUGAR COATING FEEDBACK< BACK UP YOUR COLLEAGUES WHO ARE PREPARED TO SPEAK UP TO THE MANAGEMENT, THEY ARE NOTHING WITHOUT YOU!

Cons

As per previous reviews for a company that claims it's agents are at it's heart why do they treat them like second rate citizens. I have always believed we treat people as we are treated, the management in this company will be it's downfall, if the agents treat there customers like the management treat them, bullying, ignoring concerns, not addressing queries.
    there are to many people in this company happy to accept things as they are, I am the type of person who accepts the responsibility to make changes for the better of my community so I don't fit with this companies real ethos.
    In brief if you are happy to be abused by the management, paid a pittance ( and docked for personal breaks penalised for being seconds late ) work for a company that only cares about filling seats then this job is perfect for you.

I have no advice for management other than get out and let some worthy management in.
    THIS IS TO ANY COMPANY LOOKING TO OUTSOURCE TO THIS COMPANY " DO NOT DO IT " the ethics of this Company are sub human.
    Anyone looking at employment within this company I would suggest thinking carefully as this company has no interest in basic human needs.

Marketing was buzzing, but the company was dull

I worked at Convergys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you wanted a fairly secure job, with not much of pressure, this was a great place to work. The management was quite western, respectful and accommodating.

Cons

The company lacked a buzz. Ideas didn't find ears. People lacked accountability. Appraisal system was very bland, non-transparent, with very little scope to grow.

The company has now been been acquired by another, so no point.

Good experience, could be even better

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Convergys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice place and surroundings
    Good atmosphere and events
    Good local benefits

Cons

Bad organisation according to enterprise capacities

Be more adventurous and concerned

Pay/Benefits are good, but the polices are still very 'call center' based

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Convergys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relaxed working environment, free coffee machine, no scheduled breaks, 1-2-1's done on time and feedback given, managers easy to approach. Will pay you for 30 minutes extra every day if you log in 15 minutes early and stay 15 minutes late

Cons

Although classed as a contact center, the systems are aimed at monitoring like a call center. Breaks are timed to the second, and being over by a second takes a minutes pay off you. If you are a second late logging in, in the morning you get a point, after 6 you're on a warning. Unless you want to move into people management there is no opportunity for advancement

Great experience, limited promotion prospects

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in New Bedfont, England
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in New Bedfont, England

I worked at Convergys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dedicated to delivering a great customer experience.
    Talented and committed staff and line managers.
    Company is strongly committed to meeting regulatory compliance.

Cons

Being an out-sourced service, they suffer the down-sides of any economic challenge first.
    Senior management felt very distanced from our roles and didn't seem completely engaged.
    Even when a member of senior management visited Cisco UK, they didn't take the time to hear our views or check "our" customer satisfaction.... Mass meetings with 125 colleagues present don't count.

There is more to "management" than excel spreadsheets. If you build "teams" to address specific niche's or verticals, meet with those teams to address shared issues and concerns.