www.costco.com

3.9
1,336 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 189 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 65 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

Great with college students!

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Fargo, ND (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Fargo, ND (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. The ability to work limited part time if you are a college student, even take a leave of absence and come back and have your same job when it comes to school related things as a college student.

Cons

Management is a very close knit group. Sometimes they don't understand there needs to be a balance between work and personal life.

Seasonal

Current Employee - Seasonal in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great job great pay love to schedule it changes every now and then but I do like working different shifts the best thing about the whole job is the friendly staff

Cons

I have no cons yet it's to soon.

Great company if you like retail. Pay and benefits are top notch for this industry.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Costco is a great company with great pay and benefits. They almost never lay anyone off and job security is very high. If you work hard you'll eventually make it to manager-level which makes 62K-100+.

Cons

There is lots of nepotism and promoting based on who people like more, instead of who is most qualified or would do the best job.

Great company to work for

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Flexibile scheduling and good managers

Cons

Hours can be cut depending on location

Good place to work

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They have a very flexible hours and can accommodate other activities outside of work life. The time off policies are fair, there are some restrictions such as inventory week. The leadership is there just need management to train the employees correctly, so that they are able to act accordingly to certain situations. The environment is fast pace at times, but will have an occasional slow day or week. The culture is friendly oriented meaning that coworkers are always happy to help each other out if possible. The benefits are awesome.

Cons

As like any retail jobs you have some good managers that know how to run the business, but some that don't have a clue of what to do. Promoting is unconventional meaning they promote from within but promote the wrong people sometimes.

Take more time to train the employees better.

Great company

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Benefits ,pay, hours and peers were good and fair

Cons

Managment sucks , break your back for a 10 min visit just to impress corporate

None

If you're going to work retail, Costco is a better company to go with compared to the others.

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Niles, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Niles, IL (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The starting pay is higher than your average retailer. If you don't work in a union store then there's room for advancement/promotions.

Cons

California stores are union so you have to join & pay union dues from each check. The system is entirely based on seniority so even if you are a more productive worker then Joe Schmoe who's been there 15 years, he's gonna get the extra hours available or whatever the situation may be. No employee discount due to the fact that they sell so cheap in the first place. If you work merchandising you'll be going to work when it's still dark out.

Get on the same page during the hiring process

Great company, terrible schedules

Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, I really enjoy working there because my co-workers make the job easier by being so friendly and happy. Great benefits.

Cons

When applying for a promotion or another position, they consider more your seniority then your qualities.
    Terrible schedules: you'll only know your schedule less than a week prior and you'll work EVERY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY ALL DAY until you get a full time position, which may take more than 2 years!

I think management should be more considerate and thoughtful about their employees. I have two kids and I would like to have a weekend day off once in a while. If they were more considerate they would offer rotations on weekends, once they really don't need all employees at the warehouse all day on weekends. Very often you come to work and they "ask" you to go home because they are cutting hours.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Good starting pay
    Flexible with your school schedule
    Lots of room for opportunity if you have good connections with your managers and supervisors

Cons

Lot's of crappy people who expect to be treated like kings. I get that you are paying for your membership but geez there is some moody people out there

Great place to start (or be while at school)

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Port Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Flexible scheduling
    - Excellent benefits package
    - Higher pay grade on Sundays!
    - Friendly work environment

Cons

- Repetitive
    - Dealing with (some) members

- Add in a leadership program to help streamline promising employees into supervisor/manager roles.