Costco Wholesale

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.8 1,164 reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek

Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees (in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights
1,164 Employee Reviews

It'll get you by til you find your career

Major Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsCostco has amazing benefits, a great retirement plan, and you learn a lot about people from all different walks of life because EVERYBODY shops there. Pay is 1.5x on Sundays and you're always busy doing something. Pretty good work environment, the employees get a bit clicky but everybody gets along for the most part.

ConsIt's tough loving on a Costco paycheck. The pay is decent for the type of industry it is, but it's definitely not a long term job unless you move up to management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your stuff together. Stop wasting time with unnecessary moves because you couldn't get it right the first time around.

Good Company

Supervisor (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsThe company has great benefits, high pay, and works around school. The company has an open door policy if you want to talk to corporate.

ConsManagement seems to be concerned only with issues when you go to corporate. Open availability is always needed to move up in the company.

Great place to work, Train managers better or have them clock in.

ProsAwesome environment, cool people, some laid back days, Good pay.

ConsNeed more managing of the managers because they are on salary and don't have to clock in and out.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome need to man up and work their whole shift or more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

baker

Bakery Wrapper (Current Employee) Tallahassee, FL (US)

ProsIt is a good Company and have a good salary rates and benefits

ConsThe people who is in charge of the stores doesn't match with the company, it means that is better company than people that manages the stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your management personal, they are no fair with the people.

Awesome!!!!!

Customer Service (Current Employee) Hoover, AL (US)

ProsGreat place to work. Easy to advance if you apply yourself.

ConsWorking weekends. Retail is always hard, because you prefer the weekends to spend with family

Pretty decent overall

Marketing Representative (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThey promote from with in, value hard work, and have good ethics - much better than they ever publicize. I learned a lot about their products (even after I left) which made me really have a lot of respect for what they do. Lots of great opportunities within the company as well.

ConsCan value seniority over performance sometimes, which is frustrating. I was in a sales position which was tough, but they did a lot to try to alleviate the stress it was causing me until I finally left.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoach your team leads and managers better, and show them how to properly coach their staff. The feedback was often useless or horrendous. Oh, and design a proper training for the cash people (membership) - ad-hoc training was not as useful as a proper introduction could be.

PSU College Intern

Summer College Intern (Former Employee) Clackamas, OR (US)

ProsFull Time Hours
    Decent Pay
    Hardworking Culture
    Great Mission

ConsLabor Intensive
    Burnout
    Flat Organization
    Hard to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementThe internship gave you a great overview of how the company operates and what goes into each department at Costco. Not all department managers were easy to work with as others. Some managers were great at giving feedback and guidance, and then there were some who could care less about your internship.

Excellent Job, great pay and Benefits.

Service Deli Assistant (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsBenefits, overtime pay on sundays.

ConsYou will always be working weekends.

Great company policies on paper don't always get implemented in practice

Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Virginia (South Africa)

Pros-The pay rate is highest in the field (once you have been with the company a few years)
    -Benefits (vision and rx are great, medical is alright) Lots of paid holidays off, good vacation time and sick time
    -Good policy on break times in general
    -Eat samples on your breaks and save money on snacks and lunch some days
    -Even part timers get good insurance benefits
    -Closed on Sundays, decent closing time on other days
    -No drive through!
    -Ability to help people who for the majority appreciate your efforts and make the job worthwhile

Cons-Ancient technology complicates simple tasks
    -Scheduling does not always make sense
    -Seniority is harped on too much, and newer employees get shafted when it comes to choosing when to take vacation
    -Complaints are often not acted on or reported properly. Going over store level is sometimes the only way to call attention to any problems
    -Agreeable and reliable employees get taken advantage of with scheduling and time off requests; apparently you have to make a big stink to get what you want
    -Rampant disability and FMLA abuse seems to be incredibly hard to punish, so there are lots of issues with bad coworkers who are seemingly untouchable. Causes unfair increase in personal workloads leading to very poor morale
    -No sitting makes you tired at the end of the day and hard floors can be hard on the body
    -Like any pharmacy, dealing with drug seekers and addicts can be a drag
    -Isolated nature of pharmacy means not very much camaraderie with other employees
    -Most management has no concept of what pharmacy does and has to put up with
    -Members are always right, and even the abusive ones aren't barred like they should be

Advice to Senior Management-Value the employees who get work done over the ones who are more likely to litigate
    -Be even with all employees, there is too much favoritism
    -Put accuracy above numbers and sales, preserve the integrity of the profession
    -Be willing to deal with problem employees and members(or non member customers) to keep your employee's respect
    -Underscheduling leads to more errors and liability. It is in your best interest to not spread employees too thin in a dept. that can seriously impact members health. Very serious issue especially with an antiquated system that does not do much to prevent errors

Good part time job

Front End Assistant (Current Employee) Nashua, NH (US)

ProsGood starting salary, great benefits for part time employees.

ConsNot a lot of vacation time on your first year

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!