Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,266 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees (in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Coworkers are great, pay is great, benefits are great... but hard to stay motivated.

Current Employee - Front End Assistant
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Sunday Premium is great, you get paid time and half. The benefits are encouraging, though they take six months to kick in once you become a part time employee (not too convenient if you need to go to the dentist). My front end manager was very understanding when I said I had a vacation planned before I was called back after being a seasonal employee. Co-workers are very willing to assist you with any questions you have. Very flexible with school schedules.

Cons

The initial training is very broad and doesn't cover anything specific. It is obvious that the supervisors, in the front end at least, have favorites and do special favors for them (sending them home early and extra breaks). The location manager, at my location, makes false promises. For example, he said that the cart crew would be rotated ever two hours, especially during the summer months; we work eight hours without any rotations. I've received most of my job specific training from my coworkers, not my managers. Supervisors keep promising to train me on the register, but have yet to do so.

It would be nice if the supervisors stopped standing around on their cell phones and pitched in once and a while (while some do help, it really presents a hierarchy sensation when others just stand around playing on their phones). Provide more job specific training and try and make regular schedules.

A wonderful company that promotes from within

Former Employee - Warehouse Manager
    Former Employee - Warehouse Manager

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

dedication to member service, great benefits and pay, promote from within philosophy,

Cons

Company has grown very fast and has reached a level that the employee is no longer important and/or falls through the cracks

costco

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

Cons

was a great place o workfor I would work there again i I eve went back to retail and had to appl for oher jobs

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, they really do care about their employees.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Leesburg, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Leesburg, VA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management will listen, college retention program, great pay, part time benefits, free executive membership.

Cons

Little to no upward movement, nepotism, management vs employee problems, can be inflexible with scheduling.

Stop hiring people you know and give the hard workers a chance to move up.

I work for Costco for over 14 years

Current Employee - Vault Clerk, Back Up Payroll, Sales Audit & Just About Anything Else  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Vault Clerk, Back Up Payroll, Sales Audit & Just About Anything Else in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay, Benefits and a lifetime of friends. Oh yeah free Executive Membership!! Did I mention that the benefits are FREAKING AWESOME!!

Cons

Not that much communication from management. Too many people want to be chiefs but not enough indians.

Take a minute or so and listen to your employees. We see what you don't take the time to see and listen to.

Fair pay with great benefits

Former Employee - Tire Installer  in  Superior, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Tire Installer in Superior, CO (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits and reasonable compensation

Cons

Corporate atmosphere, hard to move up

Great company - but it takes a long time to advance (because nobody leaves!)

Former Employee - Marketing Representative  in  Issaquah, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Issaquah, WA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work/life balance, decent salary, good benefits, flexible.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities, lack of training, benefits are touted as being great - but they are great for a RETAILER, which is what, bottom line, Costco is. Time off policies at corporate are silly around the holidays - in my opinion "black-outs" should be reserved for those departments working directly with the warehouses during the busy holiday season. No part-time opportunities available at the corporate office.

More training, cross-training and opportunity for growth, as well as part-time opportunities at the corporate level are needed!

Great family/ team environment!!

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is always work available if your willing to put in the time and effort

Cons

Sometimes the training in a certain position leaves a lot to be desired

Its a great company with great benefits.

Current Employee - Forklift Driver  in  Puyallup, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Forklift Driver in Puyallup, WA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Its a good place to work they take care of there employees very well. There is lots of advancement opportunity and the managers all the way up to the CEO are really good people. Non salary employees get 2 bonuses a year.

Cons

You work weekends its retail after all. It used to take 4 years to top out now it takes closer to 10. I'm not sure if I would have stayed if it took me that long to top out.

Supervisor

Former Employee - Sales/Supervisor  in  San Marcos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales/Supervisor in San Marcos, CA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Obtaining seniority amongst other employees for vacations and scheduling.

Set regular schedules.

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!