Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,307 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 189 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 65 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, terrible schedules

Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, I really enjoy working there because my co-workers make the job easier by being so friendly and happy. Great benefits.

Cons

When applying for a promotion or another position, they consider more your seniority then your qualities.
    Terrible schedules: you'll only know your schedule less than a week prior and you'll work EVERY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY ALL DAY until you get a full time position, which may take more than 2 years!

I think management should be more considerate and thoughtful about their employees. I have two kids and I would like to have a weekend day off once in a while. If they were more considerate they would offer rotations on weekends, once they really don't need all employees at the warehouse all day on weekends. Very often you come to work and they "ask" you to go home because they are cutting hours.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They have a very flexible hours and can accommodate other activities outside of work life. The time off policies are fair, there are some restrictions such as inventory week. The leadership is there just need management to train the employees correctly, so that they are able to act accordingly to certain situations. The environment is fast pace at times, but will have an occasional slow day or week. The culture is friendly oriented meaning that coworkers are always happy to help each other out if possible. The benefits are awesome.

Cons

As like any retail jobs you have some good managers that know how to run the business, but some that don't have a clue of what to do. Promoting is unconventional meaning they promote from within but promote the wrong people sometimes.

Take more time to train the employees better.

It was a seasonal job and the people were great to work with.

Former Employee - Bakery Wrapper in Waterbury, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Bakery Wrapper in Waterbury, CT (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a seasonal job and the pat was very good and the people were friendly and helpful.

Cons

The only con is it's only part time.

I wish you had full time jobs.

Amazing!!!! Great place to work!!!!

Current Employee - Membership in Hoover, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Membership in Hoover, AL (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits that we have access to is TOP OF THE LINE. Added with the hourly pay, I don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

Cons

There aren't any cons that I'm aware of. It is plenty of opportunity to move up if you apply yourself.

Keep up the good work.

Great job if you're going to school

Current Employee - Hearing Aid Assistant in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Hearing Aid Assistant in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job Security, Benefits, wages, works around school schedule.

Cons

Some supervisors and mangers abuse their power

Good Company

Former Employee - Membership Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Membership Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay and great benefits. Promotes from within, so managers went through the same process as you would.

Cons

Few managers are not competent in what they're doing.

Rather than simply manage, grow and develop your employees

costco

Former Employee - Bakery Wrapper in Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Bakery Wrapper in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good pay good benefits for working not much hours

Cons

people treat badly new employees

be real.

The Pinnacle of Retail/Wholesaling

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Initial pay is well above minimum wage, the opportunity for advancement is almost inevitable with time and experience. Workers are great, pay is great, student program is very flexible.

Cons

Taxing enviroment, you'll find yourself quite tired at the end of a day. The member's can also be pushy because they feel entitled with their memberships. Feedback is rare.

Communication needs a lot of work. Every worker should have the chance to become a key part of the business. I have worked at Costco for four years and rarely hear feedback outside of my reviews. I am a hard working business administration student and my degree has not yet been discussed with management. A student with a pending degree and a lot of seniority should have a very good idea where he is going with the company. Fantastic business nonetheless, but this and the above "cons" do need attention.

Stressful work environment at times, but superior pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Licensed Optician
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is better than any other service job out there, and the benefits are hard to match. This company takes care of their employees.

Cons

Stressful dealing when the stores get busy, and when customers have memberships they tend to be more demanding. Costco doesn't operate like most stores so people get upset when things don't go their way. Normal of any customer service job I suppose, but exaggerated by strict buying policies and procedures. The lenient return policy also means people try to get away with returning very old or broken items.

Changing the upper management at individual locations so frequently prevents any employee from ever being comfortable. I've been through 3 warehouse managers in my time at my store and every new manager feels the need to change policies or make unnecessary changes just for the sake of making changes. Some changes are frustrating and inconsiderate to the longtime employees. You don't need to change the manager every 2 years!

The last job you'll ever have

Former Employee - Floor Assistant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Floor Assistant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive wages, equal opportunity, training, Career oriented, they ensure you'll be there for the long haul with raises based in hours worked and opportunities to work in any sector of any warehouse.

Cons

Since no established employees leave, only the lower tier positions are available for those starting out and for their fist several years.

It seemed as if people, even weak staff were rewarded for hanging around wit he company based on hours worked, rather than ability to perform.