Costco Wholesale

3.9
1,385 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Cashier(clerk)

Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great pay/benefits! Generous vacation and optionals. The environment for teambuilding can't be beat. They foster collaboration and encourage you to succeed! Very structured and expectations are provided daily. Feels like family.... I resigned in 2010 to move to another state to take care of family obligations and unfortunately there were no whse locations in my new city....Costco is now coming to Tulsa and I will turning in my application as the 17 years I worked there were the greatest years of my life! Best job ever! How many people can say that or that they miss working there!!! Cant wait so excited!!!

Cons

Long term employees get better benefits than newer ones. Company changes handbook every couple of years to push hour based raises further and further back. Required inventory participation.

Think outside the box.....
    Not only do members deserve the pickle but so do employee's (long term Costco employee's know what that means)!

Satisfied, Long-Term Employee

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great job security with excellent benefits. If you work hard, the sky is the limit. In general, the company does a great job promoting employees from within.

Cons

Minimal control on how many hours salaried employees must work. At the management level, the employee expectation is that work comes first, family and other obligations are secondary.

Great Place for High School Graduate or College summer job.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great pay for amazing atmosphere for growth.

Cons

Little to no down time outside of he legally mandated breaks.

Work heavily with college students to get people higher up.

Fast paced working environment

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at costco comes with great pay and great benefits. It's also a good place to befriend coworkers because you have so many.

Cons

There are a lot of people who shop at costco and as such there are a lot of stupid people you will have to deal with. Be patient, and kind and know that for every 1 jerk there are probably 5 great people.

You can get far if your willing to work for it

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Costco has decent pay and if your smart you can really go far. I was there a little under two years and became super vaulable because I learned almost every department. And for the most part my fellow employees were good people.

Cons

MICROMANAGED. My hours were all over the place as well. It is the managers way no matter what even if you have a better more efficient way. Also a lot of things are based on seniority. At my store I was able to kinda by pass that but I worked very hard to do so.

Fire people that deserved to be fired. Listen to your employee's they might have some great ideas that could give some managers a run for their money.

Best company

Current Employee - Front End Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant Manager

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Love working for such a great company. Excellent benefits for me and my family and amazing pay

Cons

The only con I can think of are yhere a definitely some politics when it comes to positions in the warehouse. But if you work hard they do reward you.

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Costco is a good place to work. You gotta work hard to proof yourself but it's worth it in the end. The pay is good, especially if you work on Sundays. If you have not take any sick days during the year, they pay the sick hours at anniversary time. Members are very pleasant for the most part, and the employees are quite friendly and helpful. Company offers bonuses twice a year, but you have to complete a certain amount of hours to qualify.

Cons

The old timers seem to take their time doing what they need to do. It's retail, which means there are not many weekends off. It's hard to take time off during the holidays. Inventory time can be a little tough on the scheduling. Personal growth is there once you proof yourself; however it seems that a lot of people move up quickly and easily by becoming part of the management click. There could be back stabbing if you're not careful.

A little pushy and at time does not understand its employees. Remember, we're all human beings and have feelings. Remember, not everything at Costco requires a write-up or counseling notice.

A great company to work for, they are fair and treat their employees well.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Costco rewards those with a good sense of urgency and the willingness to learn. Its a stable company with great pay and bonus scales.

Cons

Training is more hands on, not a lot of book work. May be difficult who dont learn best on their feet.

Great leadership

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Employees, benefits, organization,Employees, benefits, organization

Cons

None, none, none, none, none

Opportunities Abound

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management places faith in individual employees to execute their tasks to their fullest. Promotions are almost exclusively from within. Lots of opportunities and internal job bank is full of demand for various positions.

Cons

Inbred management that promotes internal ideals and rarely focuses on new/fresh objectives or ideas. Lots of management levels. Turnover is low and firing poor performers is a difficult task.

Margins are exceptionally tight and budgets are constrained around various factors. No advertising is fine, but consider utilizing strategically allowing news/media to pick up exceptional deals. For instance, have 1 warehouse's gas price be the lowest of any gas station in the country. News outlets will always pickup on the deal and report it nationally.