Cox Communications Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.5

Cox Communications President Pat Esser
Pat Esser

Pros
  • Decent work life balance depending upon your manager (in 34 reviews)

• Benefits- subsidized cable and internet are good (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • High Sales Driven or a non-sales position, company closed call center (in 19 reviews)

• Lots of pressure to sale and the actual quality of customer service didn't matter anymore (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great to work for

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative  in  Fort Walton Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Fort Walton Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, pay and opportunities were fair.

Cons

Call center closed in the area.

Awesome company

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time

Pros

Great company, culture and values that provide consumers with what for many are considered absolutely indispensable services like TV, Internet and telephone. I also find it very comforting the degree to which the company places its top priority on the needs of the customer.

Cons

The biggest challenge is keeping up with the increasingly rapid pace of technical innovation and constantly evolving needs of today's customer.

Cox is ideal...as a permanent job.

Former Employee - Inventory
    Former Employee - Inventory

I worked at Cox Communications as a contractor

Pros

I really really liked working with my team. They were the dream team to work with, and work for. They truly do have a good work/life balance as a whole company. Leadership is spectacular, and so is team work.

Cons

I was given hopes of being hired on as a permanent employee, but ended without. I only completed my 18 month run as a contractor.

Don't tell your contractors that you're in the process of 'creating' a permanent position, if it's not true. Please, just speak the truth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the Best Call Centers I have ever worked for.

I worked at Cox Communications

Pros

Cox provides you with many opportunities for advancement. They also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package. Cox believes in a very diverse workplace.

Cons

Recently if your skill set is tech support you are now push to selling packages rather than troubleshooting. Getting time off on major holidays is difficult .

Instead of rotating shifts every 6 months you should have 3 shifts , mornings , evening and over nights.

Retention Representative

Former Employee - Customer Retention Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Retention Representative

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good Hourly, Great Pay With IncentiveS, Amazing Health/Dental/Vision/Life INS, Room To Grow, Great Team To Be on

Cons

Can Be Stressful At Times, But I Feel The Pay Matches

Keep On Keeping on

Anything but retention

Former Employee - Retention Specialist
    Former Employee - Retention Specialist

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company perks are great. Free Internet, television, phone if you desire it. Just pay tax and box rentals. There is constantly community work going on, parties, all hands meetings, and communication is overall great. I really enjoyed their culture there. The pay can be phenomenal if you're good at your job.

Cons

Promotions were a who you know situation, just like at any other company. In my particular position, the management team had a lot of chiefs who did little to nothing as far as promoting their people, hiring the right people, managing bad behavior, fraud, and providing solutions. There was a feeling of "what do you even do here?" when it pertained to immediate retention management. The biggest problem is not the employer, but the actual retention job. Sales jobs seemed great when I sat with them, but the retention side of it is HORRENDOUS. Multiple people, myself included, constantly going out on stress leave due to the incredible level of stress the customers, as well as the employer, places on you. Please understand, I've worked sales all my life. I was also a recognized top performer month in and month out at Cox. Take any job you'd like with Cox and you'll enjoy it. Take retention and you'll regret it. It's a level of stress that you simply don't understand until you've done it. Looking around the industry, this seems to be a familiar story so I'm sure it's not just Cox.

Mix up your employee responsibilities a little bit. Part of the stress that comes from retention is that it is the same thing day in and day out. Five days a week with mandatory (reread that word, MANDATORY, as in you get a write up for not attending) overtime of an hour and sometimes two hours is painful. Find another job responsibility for these people maybe two days of the week where we can come in and work on something else. Maybe two days in sales, three days in retention as an example. Even manual labor, who cares. Working people that hard and that long on what is possibly the most negative environment (by nature of the position, even the commission goals are a negative number) in the company is what is contributing to your ~60% turnover rate. At nearly $25,000 per new hire of on boarding costs, that's a big place to save money.

Treats people great - slow to make decisions and take action

I have been working at Cox Communications as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Truly cares about the people which is evident by communications, benefits and respect - very friendly culture

Cons

Slow to make decisions and leaders and not great,

Take ownership and make the decisions quickly

Worked there for 18 years and I was layed off

Former Employee - Customer Care Supervisor  in  Pensacola, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Supervisor in Pensacola, FL (US)

I worked at Cox Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Enviroment, family work life was amazing.

Cons

Senior Management wasn't in touch with frontline

Job ended

Fabulous Learning Experience

Former Employee - Programmer  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Programmer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Cox Communications as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, great corporate synergy

Cons

Systems are behind, not as many perks for being part of their group.

Update systems used in corporate

Solid company to work for despite all the changes lately.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Supervisor  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, lots of opportunities to better yourself and grow your skill set, good work/life balance, pension and 401k match, they care about their employees.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to advance, inconsistent communication through transitions, slow to market on new technology.

Look to the future both technologically and in regards to your workforce. We are playing catch up with our equipment from a competitive standpoint and behind the times compared to what future competition is going to bring to market. Also look for flexible scheduling and telecommuting opportunities to increase employee favor and keep the good people.

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!