CustomInk

Updated 23 January 2015
3.7

CustomInk Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz
Marc Katz

Good company, but the work is soul sucking

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at CustomInk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are out of this world, environment is great.

Cons

Completely agree with 100% of the negative reviews on here. VERY difficult to advance in the company (especially if you're not at the Fairfax location), salaries are laughable, all of the sales/customer service/production work could be done by literally anyone so it makes having a college degree feel useless.

Pay your workers more. Give meaningful promotions and raises. CUT OUT THE $20,000 HOLIDAY PARTIES AND OFFER HOLIDAY BONUSES INSTEAD.

MOD

Current Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, free coffee and fig newtons

Cons

Laughable pay, terrible management, mindless work that is taken way to seriously.

Pay: Pay is low for the area, and there is no annual raises. If you try and ask for a raise, you will be told to "try harder". Pay is a base salary in the high 20k range plus performance pay. The performance pay is determined on how much you do and how accurate the work is. Even with awesome numbers, the pay is still way to low. Most "inkers" live with roomies, family or have spouses that make the "real" money. Don't be surprised when you see the company making tons of money and growing well, and you get nothing. Our first million dollar day we had a few months back, we did get an award. The award was a .50 cent candy bar wrapped to look like money. Total slap in the face.

Management: The management is very unprofessional and most of them are new to the management role. Most of the immediate mangers are female and all are close friends. So if you have any issues with them, don't say a word about it. It will get you written up or fired. I have seen friends who had issues, take it up with there skip managers and it only ends with them getting "talked too" and "blamed" for it. The environment is very "click-ish" so be ready for that. If you don't have a friend in the management team, make one, fast!

Advice to Marc: Look into the management teams, I know for a fact that they do a lot of sitting around and talking about non work related stuff, while we all work hard. I know for a fact my manager online shops 90% of her day. Then the rest of the day she chats it up with her manager (department leader).

Overall: The company looks awesome from the outside, but once you get hired and learned the politics, you find out the real Customink. Don't expect major growth professional or salary. They will work you as hard as they can and def pay you as least as they can. My advice to anyone interested, look for another place to work that will treat you and pay you like a college educated person should be. And don't worry you're not missing out trust me.

Advice to Marc Katz, please look into the management teams, they are pushing a lot of good employees out and only letting friends progress. It's like high school all over again.

I never thought work would be fun!

Current Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the people and the environment! Everyone is friendly. We have great benefits and pay! WE GET FREE FOOD! The training is very thorough. There are always plenty of resources to help you improve at your job.

Cons

having to get out of bed and go to work ;)

Love it!

I have been working at CustomInk

Pros

Great people! Great atmosphere! Awesome owner

Cons

None, great place to work

A Natural Fit

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Both the engineering team and management are good people. it is hart to overstate that enough. I think the most important thing I have been continually impressed with CustomInk is the lack of a "poison pill" employee at any level. Everyone here generally is looking out for you and wants you to succeed. Cheesy, but really important to me.

Cons

There are none that I know of.

Keep up the good work and honest sharing of information.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Production Associate in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I worked at CustomInk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Custom Ink is a great company to work for it does well to promote its values through out the company.

Cons

Although the benefits are good the pay could be a lot better. There seems to be a lot of competition for positions and making it harder to be promoted.

Growing Pains...For Years

Current Employee - Order Operations in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Order Operations in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly People, Great Benefits Package, Mostly Fun Place to Work

Cons

Work-Life Balance is virtually non existent in FFX location, Professional Development is Lackluster, Salary is Borderline Insulting

You hire really motivated, incredibly smart individuals who have aspirations to advance in their roles. While I can't speak for other departments within the company, I can say that Order Operations roles (i.e. Sales, SA, LA, ART) are certainly feeling stifled. The amount of work that these employees must produce each week is exhausting, while the pay leaves much to be desired. (Mandatory OT for 9 out of the 12 months is not a good work-life balance).

In Order Operations, there is also a mentality that Management is offering us some incredible opportunities to learn new roles. For instance, they'll ask for volunteers to help other departments when things are chaotic for that specific role. Instead of offering a bonus structure as an incentive - they make it seem like you should be honored to learn a new skill. I think the term we use here is "lateral". Basically every time that you learn a new skill, or take on a new role, you're looking at a lateral move. Lateral at CustomInk just means they don't have to give you a pay increase.

Management has their own issues. Many of the Middle Managers are not qualified to actually be in their roles, yet we grew too quickly from a small company and therefore had to promote too quickly. We're seeing the impact of this disorganization now, and we're bringing in senior management from outside to try and clean this up.

The entire company is now cutting back on the fun activities and "Work Hard Play Hard" mentality that we used to promote so freely, mainly because it seems as though the values that we used to have as a company have now been overshadowed by the increase in revenue. It's really a shame to see such a fun, young, vibrant company start to fizzle out because making enormous amounts of money for investors has now taken precedence.

Mostly a Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In on-the-business roles, there is room for development. And there's room to grow within production roles as well. The food is a good perk. The location is also slammin'.

Cons

The company is growing so rapidly that it's been experiencing growing pains for a while. New leadership was just brought in, so this is hopefully going to be addressed soon.

Leadership really needs to deal with job titles. Often a title within CustomInk doesn't match what the same job is in another company. This causes a lot of harm to team member morale and respect from leadership.

Losing its way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at CustomInk (more than 8 years)

Pros

CustomInk offers a lot of perks, like free meals twice a week, comfortable work space and casual dress. We have many special events. Pretty much everyone is friendly, and whether you know them personally or not folks will always smile at you and say hello.

Cons

We have become incredibly disorganized, especially from a personnel standpoint. Reporting relationships sometimes are confusing (why two people with the same title report to two different people in completely different departments) and we continually seem to bring in higher level executives who end up having little impact, or even worse an extremely negative impact that becomes difficult to undo when they ultimately depart. There was a time CustomInk believed in promoting from within to maintain and value our culture. This has gone by the wayside in favor of folks with outside experience and fluffy resumes with lots of big words. Ultimately, the influx of people in crucial decision making roles with mismatched values will be the downfall of a once great place.

You have many talented people within the organization already that have proven themselves. Train from within instead of looking outside. You won't regret it.