CustomInk Reviews

Great place

Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate

I worked at CustomInk full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is always room for new team members, a very fair place. Golden rule is key.

Cons

Work demands are high but the rewards are good.

Great, Innovative Company

I have been working at CustomInk as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Google-like creative and hardworking atmosphere. Free food, t-shirts, other benefits like onsite gym, doc, company picnic, holiday party. Going above and beyond is recognized. Great, new location in the middle of Mosaic. Friendly coworkers and culture.

Cons

Pay is okay. Not sure about job outlook.

The company is growing quickly and is offering great opportunities. Don't forget those at the bottom of the totem pole.

Amazing Company, Bumpy Growth

Former Employee - Satisfaction Assurance  in  Reno, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Satisfaction Assurance in Reno, NV (US)

I worked at CustomInk full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is plenty of office camaraderie and fantastic benefits!

Cons

Busy season can last far longer than expected and become unwieldy, and customers can be dizzying in their demands as the company is known for being particularly flexible.

When I worked there, there were sudden, jarring changes in management which made communication difficult and ultimately led to my leaving the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome company and people

Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative  in  Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best place I've ever worked

Cons

Cant think of any cons

One raise in nearly three years

Current Employee - Expert Production Artist  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Expert Production Artist in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love my coworkers. I've met some of the nicest, most worthwhile people at this job and it is possible to have a legitimately good time at work.

Also, I'm very pleased with the benefits package I receive. My health insurance is great and there are a lot of nice little perks, like a meal provided by the company on Thursdays and a frozen yogurt machine on-site at Fairfax.

Cons

In Order Operations, a significant portion of your work is tied directly to performance. If you aren't able to meet your quotas, your pay will not be what you expect. And it's not as though each order you handle is the same with the same degree of work required. While one order might take 5 minutes, the next might take a few hours. In EPA, the values of the various order difficulties are staggered so it's certainly better than them being of equal value but it's still problematic.

Additionally, there is no system set up for annual raises, at least not based on company loyalty or seniority. Instead, there are Stride Increases, which are only available annually and are based on performance and accuracy. These increases can be particularly difficult to achieve and are barely in keeping with inflation.

Recently, the company had it's first $1 million dollar day. To celebrate, we're there bonuses? No. Instead, the CEO went around and handed out Hershey's bars with a little printed note thanking us for helping to achieve that milestone. I found it to be insulting and patronizing.

CustomInk is a company that is doing incredibly well in a short period. They are not passing that success onto their employees, at least not in my department.

CustomInk is a great company

Current Employee - Sales Service Representative  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Service Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and perks of working for the company. Lots of fun events.

Cons

Pay, cost of living is more than pay. Management isn't very organized and doesn't communicate very well in sales service. Not a lot of support for growing within the company.

n/a

Getting Over Growing Pains

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Office culture is casual, but sometimes deceptively so. You may wear flip flops to work but you're also expected to know your stuff and kick butt.

- Cultural traditions are prized, but never out-of-bounds for a reality check. As a result the culture has stayed pretty similar over the course of my time (from 200 employees to 1000+) or improved.

- 99.9% of people genuinely enjoy coming to the office. It's reflected in how people treat each other, and the dedication they put into their work.

- Compensation in ops roles is great if you're a recent grad (almost too good to leave), but level out over time.

- A truly open, honest, caring environment. I can honestly say I've never seen someone treated differently because of race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, or age.

- Benefits are stellar.

Cons

- The VAST majority of personalities are awesome, but a few sour apples have a large impact, and while upper management is aware, nothing substantive is done (or at least perception is as such).

- Two words: Peter. Principle. This is slowly being rectified as the company fleshes out roles.

- Most of the hires in ops roles are recent grads. Not having a non-CI work environment to set a standard means sometimes people feel entitled about little things (like snarky Wanna-be-Yelp-reviewers of the free lunches), or don't know how to respond in a "grown-up" way to the challenges/expectations set upon them.

Finally, this is more of a mix than a con. I saw other reviewers say that they feel it's hard to move upwards in the company. This is very true as often roles are super competitive. However, the people who succeed are ones who put their necks out and make their own opportunities. Lots of Inkers seem to feel that simply being good at their current job warrants moving up or out of their departments. Managers are looking for people who are looking to move towards something specific, not just away from their current roles.

Remember to constantly check yourself and understand the nuances of where we are in 2014 vs. 2010 vs. 2006 vs. 2001 as a company. Other than that, keep on keepin' on.

Fun Company, Could Use Tweaking

Former Employee - Sales/Service Representative  in  Reno, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Reno, NV (US)

I worked at CustomInk full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Fun, light hearted work environment with opportunities (though no pressure) for socialization
    -Ability to move between departments with relative ease. Shadowing sessions are easy to coordinate
    -Smaller sized company means that it's easy to get to know most coworkers and to make work friends
    -Everybody is very open and approachable. Even the CEO
    -Managers prefer to coach somebody to success than to fire them
    -Company takes pride in it's work and it's employees
    -Thorough interview process weeds out a lot of bad apples
    -Competitive benefits package
    -Within Sales and Service, fairly easy to find shift coverage
    -Catered lunches 2x weekly
    -Tons of free SWAG. T-shirts, tote bags, etc.
    -Sales and service reps are empowered to come up with best solution for customers
    -Company does it's best not to feel or act like a typical call center

Cons

For sales and service...

-Your day is very rigidly scheduled and every break is timed
    -Quotas are difficult to meet. It's difficult to provide excellent customer service AND hit a certain number of calls per day, especially when you're encouraged to design shirts while you're on the phone with the customer.
    -The sales and service teams are expected to do a little bit of everything, which is okay but it's better to have a department devoted exclusively to chat OR calls OR emails. My current company does this, and it's great
    -Training is two weeks long and gives future SS Reps limited phone exposure. More phone exposure would have been nice
    -Since HQ is in Virginia, there are more limited opportunities for advancement in Reno if you want to go to a dept like marketing, finance, HR, etc.
    -SS Reps all have to work overtime during busier seasons
    -Sometimes the company's "customers first" attitude breeds abusive or demanding customers. SS reps are often pressured to bend over backwards in the name of customer service, even in these situations
    -Young managers often started as SS rep and lack management experience
    -Low compensation (could be average for call center) isn't really enough to support yourself

Divide up the sales and service departments to focus on specific tasks for better efficiency and consistency. It's also ok to hire outside managers with actual experience.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very casual work environment, lots of great people, fantastic benefits. The company values are awesome. It's refreshing to work with people who love what they do. The company is also growing pretty quickly.

Cons

Very fast paced...but I can't even really say that's a con because that generally means that things are going well. It would be nice if pay was a bit higher considering the cost of living in the DC area. I wish there was a bit more room to grow, as far as salary goes.

I have had nothing but great experiences with management. It may be a younger crowd in most areas, but very capable and willing to go above and beyond.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Marketing Copywriter  in  McLean, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Copywriter in McLean, VA (US)

I worked at CustomInk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people, creative and collaborative environment, warm and welcoming vibe

Cons

No cons - CustomInk is a dream come true!

Worked for CustomInk? Contribute to the Community!