CustomInk

3.7

CustomInk Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz
Marc Katz

Amazing

Former Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Reno, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Reno, NV (US)

I worked at CustomInk

Pros

Best. Job. Ever. The end.

Cons

None, please see paragraph above.

Not a Great Work Culture

Former Freelancer - module.emp-review.anonymous-freelance in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Former Freelancer - module.emp-review.anonymous-freelance in Fairfax, VA (US)

I worked at CustomInk (more than a year)

Pros

Free weekly lunch, free monthly breakfast, great outings (holiday parties, etc), Casual dress code, optional work from home/ telecommute, free coffee, free frozen yogurt machine, BEAUTIFUL office.

All-in-All okay place to work, it just wasn't for me.

Cons

Difficult to move up in the company, co-workers aren't all welcoming.

My biggest problem while working at CustomInk was lack of communication. I started part-time/temp and eventually worked my way up to full time (but I wasn't receiving benefits). I often felt like I wasn't treated as an equal, or I was treated as an intern. Even though I have a Bachelors degree and wasn't in an intern position sometimes they would have be clean out closets, or just sit around without tasks.

While I worked at CustomInk there was a big scandal also known as the "Siouxper Drunk" T-Shirt Scandal. CustomInk won't print shirts it deems offensive, somehow this slipped through the cracks. I worked near the Marketing team and watching them deal with the scandal was surprising. Most of them didn't take the scandal seriously, and didn't understand why it was offensive. Many were casually racist while dealing with the whole situation.

On top of the "Siouxper Drunk" scandal there were a LOT of clipart in the CustomInk library that I found extremely racist. And it's ultimately why I decided to start looking for other jobs. I think now they are more careful with what shirts they print, and took a lot of questionable clipart off the site, which is a step in the right direction.

WOW-A-NOT

I have been working at CustomInk

Pros

great benefits. nice new offices. growing company. bonuses.

Cons

growing pains. poor communication and management which is supposedly being addressed by new VP. feels like high school with office gossip and preferential treatment and advancement. many departments do not offer salary raises. office "perks" feel like cost saving measures for the company and not a real benefit to the employee. required overtime and weekend hours. limited career advancement opportunities.

improve communication and managerial skills. give a 30 minute paid lunch with the option to take an additional 30 minutes (unpaid). this will help improve quality/productivity in the afternoon along with overall job satisfaction. give annual raises to all employees.

Good company, but the work is soul sucking

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at CustomInk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are out of this world, environment is great.

Cons

Completely agree with 100% of the negative reviews on here. VERY difficult to advance in the company (especially if you're not at the Fairfax location), salaries are laughable, all of the sales/customer service/production work could be done by literally anyone so it makes having a college degree feel useless.

Pay your workers more. Give meaningful promotions and raises. CUT OUT THE $20,000 HOLIDAY PARTIES AND OFFER HOLIDAY BONUSES INSTEAD.

MOD

Current Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, free coffee and fig newtons

Cons

Laughable pay, terrible management, mindless work that is taken way to seriously.

Pay: Pay is low for the area, and there is no annual raises. If you try and ask for a raise, you will be told to "try harder". Pay is a base salary in the high 20k range plus performance pay. The performance pay is determined on how much you do and how accurate the work is. Even with awesome numbers, the pay is still way to low. Most "inkers" live with roomies, family or have spouses that make the "real" money. Don't be surprised when you see the company making tons of money and growing well, and you get nothing. Our first million dollar day we had a few months back, we did get an award. The award was a .50 cent candy bar wrapped to look like money. Total slap in the face.

Management: The management is very unprofessional and most of them are new to the management role. Most of the immediate mangers are female and all are close friends. So if you have any issues with them, don't say a word about it. It will get you written up or fired. I have seen friends who had issues, take it up with there skip managers and it only ends with them getting "talked too" and "blamed" for it. The environment is very "click-ish" so be ready for that. If you don't have a friend in the management team, make one, fast!

Advice to Marc: Look into the management teams, I know for a fact that they do a lot of sitting around and talking about non work related stuff, while we all work hard. I know for a fact my manager online shops 90% of her day. Then the rest of the day she chats it up with her manager (department leader).

Overall: The company looks awesome from the outside, but once you get hired and learned the politics, you find out the real Customink. Don't expect major growth professional or salary. They will work you as hard as they can and def pay you as least as they can. My advice to anyone interested, look for another place to work that will treat you and pay you like a college educated person should be. And don't worry you're not missing out trust me.

Advice to Marc Katz, please look into the management teams, they are pushing a lot of good employees out and only letting friends progress. It's like high school all over again.

I never thought work would be fun!

Current Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Representative in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the people and the environment! Everyone is friendly. We have great benefits and pay! WE GET FREE FOOD! The training is very thorough. There are always plenty of resources to help you improve at your job.

Cons

having to get out of bed and go to work ;)

Love it!

I have been working at CustomInk

Pros

Great people! Great atmosphere! Awesome owner

Cons

None, great place to work

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Production Associate in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I worked at CustomInk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Custom Ink is a great company to work for it does well to promote its values through out the company.

Cons

Although the benefits are good the pay could be a lot better. There seems to be a lot of competition for positions and making it harder to be promoted.

A Natural Fit

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Both the engineering team and management are good people. it is hart to overstate that enough. I think the most important thing I have been continually impressed with CustomInk is the lack of a "poison pill" employee at any level. Everyone here generally is looking out for you and wants you to succeed. Cheesy, but really important to me.

Cons

There are none that I know of.

Keep up the good work and honest sharing of information.