CustomInk Reviews

Updated 22 September 2014
3.9

CustomInk Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz
Marc Katz

Great company but needs to manage their growth

Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment and great people. Sales, especially a call center, can be rough but the company tries to great a positive bright environment and encourage great productivity with lots of perks. There is a lot of internal data collected and surveyed, I can't tell if or how it is used to affect change. The scheduling is pretty rigid and includes mandatory overtime, however, you are in good company, you just have to be careful about who you ask question to or confide in. Young workforce can tend to get gossipy.

Cons

The company is growing...quickly and I think you are starting to see some growing pains. It still operates much like a startup with quick changes and a roll with the punches attitude, but it is a more mature business than that and needs to adjust. The disconnect between senior leadership, middle management, and the masses that others have highlighted here is pretty apparent. There is also a hire from within attitude for leadership which leads to people who really know what the job is, but dont necessarily have leadership experience prior or elsewhere. Diversity is a great thing for business.

The new leadership that has been brought in seems like a great catalyst to iron out some of the rough spots and grow up. Communicating with staff on changes and giving them time to adjust is more important than the fun extras and will make for staff that feels more valued. The recent communication from meet and greets and from Marc has been excellent.

Family Feel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Team & leaders really care about one another, it feels like my second family
    - Huge amount of care and respect for our customers
    - Honest feedback provided, feedback also asked for and listened to
    - High expectations, which challenge you and make you feel proud of your accomplishments
    - Comfortable work environment (and we love food)
    - Solid benefits
    - You don't have to wait a year for a raise, performance based earnings plans reward you every period if you perform above expectations, which most of the team does (then raises are also given once certain levels are hit, and expectations are communicated so you know exactly what you have to do)

Cons

- We're experiencing rapid growth, which does present challenges like having many new team members trying to learn at the same time
    - While we're growing quickly, many new opportunities are in different offices and would require a move (all opportunities are very competitive, since we have a ton of awesome people here)
    - Because many team members join the team right out of college and don't have a lot of other experience, sometimes the way things are here are really taken for granted
    - The majority of the team is fantastic and loves to be here. Then, like anywhere probably, sometimes you can experience a lack of professionalism or negative attitudes.

- For the most part, keep doing what you're doing
    - Work to keep the tone of our environment the same as we grow

Great place

Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate

I worked at CustomInk full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is always room for new team members, a very fair place. Golden rule is key.

Cons

Work demands are high but the rewards are good.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- The physical environment is quite nice and comfortable (well as long as more than 3 people don't want to use the restroom at the same time). This is the 3rd office we've had in VA since I started and they've designed it from the ground up. They do an admirable job of making it a pleasant place to perform your job. They provide lunch once a week and provide other small surprises throughout the year. The Team Environment people are amazing.
    - There are some truly great people who work here. I've met some great friends and there really are many people here that live the 3 tenets That CI advertises as their ore beliefs.
    - The Health benefits are very good. About the best package you will find outside govt. if you are single.

Cons

Unfortunately CI depends on surface level benefits like a free lunch or a Cornhole Tournament to but a nice shine on what is really a glorified assembly line; complete with the industrial revolution reminiscent problems.

- Compensation: The compensation is minimal for the volume of work demanded. They use a system called performance based earning. This is approached not unlike the way a server in a restaurant will make a lower wage as they can supplement their earnings via tips. At CI it is done via productivity monitoring. You make a minimal base salary, and then there are a series or incentives that you can potentially earn based on pure statistical performance. This is how they get around the concept of standard of living or annual raises. They claim that you control your own pay, and can simply earn more based on performing better. The interesting part is that if you don't reach these goals you don't just make your base salary, you are put on a performance plan, and then terminated. Making these earnings less a bonus to your salary, but instead a level of production that is demanded. Another facet of this program is that while you will sign an offer sheet with the details of these incentives and bonuses, they can and will be changed later, but not with your agreement. If a team seems to be consistently out earning, the PBE can be adjusted to make it harder to reach those incentives. This leads to another problem, the "raise" system is based on being able to consistently meet or exceed the goals of this program. PBE is measured monthly, by exceeding for 3 straight months you can increase your base salary by a small percentage, similar tiers can be achieved for 6 months or a year (this is not transparent information though, I had to learn about it via fellow employees, and Management does not monitor for the employee reaching these tiers, so you will have to request them). This becomes a problem as with the fluid nature of the PBE. Sometimes due to a number of circumstances the PBE will not be valid that month, since you did not out earn it, it does not count as a step towards your next pay tier. This happens quite often and trying to get your first raise may take you several years. Of course all things can be changed, and I've spoken with several people that were offered the raises without officially maintaining the required stats, while others had to spend months fighting for them Politics go a long way.

-Leadership/Promotions: I fully believe that upper management thinks that everything is as wonderful as those Great Places to Work Surveys say. There is a significant buffer between upper management and the SS/Operations teams that make up the majority of the employee base. Middle management is were the information control seems to start. We take regular surveys to give feedback (positive or negative) to the company, but these are not anonymous, they actually go to your direct supervisors. Negative feedback or grievances can and will follow you in your time with this company and can essentially get you black listed. Despite the growth of the company, advancement opportunities are slim, there is a great deal of lateral movement, but not much for advancement. If you have earned the reputation as being a malcontent on one of these surveys (whether justified or not) these opportunities will likely be closed to you. I do think there are great people trying to be great managers, but the Brand trumps all.

Lastly
    MOD system: This is a company wide policy of MODifying behavior. Which is a scary concept in itself, but that is the idea. Employees are instructed to assign errors to other employees if they see something in the work process that may disrupt them in any way from doing their role. There are guidelines, but the practice is inconsistent and can cause resentment/unbalance. These errors statistically calculate your accuracy on the performance based earnings. IF you do not reach the predetermined accuracy, you CANNOT out earn. So this is a system where fellow employees are in control of each others paycheck. This can cause friends to let errors go, while marking the same errors on other inkers. These are also not Anonymous, so an employee is well aware who has marked one of these error on them. An error that has the potential to greatly affect the monthly earnings of that employee. While we are assured that animosity will not be tolerated in this system, there is no way to police it. MODs will always be inconsistent and an unjustifiable way to hold an employees earnings hostage.

I truly think that the PBE and MOD systems were put in place with every good intention. I also think that they have been since used more as a control mechanism as time has gone on. I truly want management to understand that Happy employees will result in even happier customer. We do a great job executing for the customer, but the employees work under a cloud of fear. We fear to voice concerns, to be labeled as negative. I've watched too many amazing and talented people leave the company to take jobs that recognize their value. I fear fewer and fewer of us feel like valuable members of a family, and more like just another link on the chain. Let's make the good outweigh the bad again.

Looks good on the outside

Current Employee - Expert Production Artist  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Expert Production Artist in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time

Pros

Customink has an unrivaled benefits package. The facilities are very nice and well maintained. Every week the company provides a free lunch for everyone, and there are a myriad of little perks that the Team Development department organizes.

Cons

The pay is not very good to begin with considering the specificity of the job position, and there are no time-based raises or cost of living adjustments. Upward mobility is not very good, and positions to which an order operations employee can aspire are becoming fewer and farther between. Becoming a "Lead" or an "AM" is not terribly difficult, but does not result in a significant change in compensation. The pay gained from the Lead promotion is the same as the differential from working a regular weekend shift. Advancement past AM is unlikely. Customink seems oriented toward cultivating a "dazzling" atmosphere and creating pod people, if anyone is familiar with management terminology. Through internal branding and small perks, the company is able to pay less across the board by creating employees with a rabid loyalty; employees who often have never held any other position. Company Surveys are taken fairly often for employees to leave feedback about Customink processes, but these surveys are NOT confidential, and you will be interrogated about every answer. If no successful argument can be made against your criticism, the idea will be "looked at" indefinitely.
    Pay for order ops employees is set up like a digital factory. Your base pay is barely enough to survive, and the performance based pay you recieve on top of that depends on two factors: "Productivity" - the quantity of orders you can complete daily, and "Quality of Work" - the number of "MODs" recorded on you. The MOD system is basically a big game of tattle. It is a requirement of your job that you "record feedback" whenever you see a mistake in an order, thereby slowing your own productivity and taking money from the pocket of a fellow employee. This of course breeds resentment and irritation in the workplace, which is swept under the rug like everything else.
    Order Ops employees are "offered" the "opportunity" to undergo interdepartmental training. While this generally is a good thing to understand the processes of neighboring departments, it leads to a very undesirable side-effect: Customink then assigns people on a day-to-day basis to do work in other departments according to where the bulk of orders are in the assembly line. In this way, they are able to keep a fluid workforce and hire fewer employees to do more work. This is most evident in the two annual "busy seasons". Customink will brag about the 25 days per year of vacation, which is indeed wonderful, except you can only take this vacation during "off-season". The result is that all 1000-ish employees clamor to use up their time off (since only 5 days roll over) which causes a backup in the assembly line. Then the company assigns MANDATORY overtime.
    Undoubtedly someone from upper management will be along shortly to provide counter-examples, and they might even be true. But if you are considering a position here, I would urge you to keep an open mind and look past the initial "WOW factor" of the free snacks and the million dollar patio. Keep an eye on the way you're being treated and the way others are being treated, and decide if that seems right to you.

To the upper management: Your mid-level management is hiding problems from you. Harassment complaints and job dissatisfaction are swept under the rug so that they can tell you everything is fine and dandy. But without your workforce, Customink can't continue to operate, and eventually people will grow backbones and unionize or mass-quit. Operating a business is about more than just making money. There are much easier ways to make money than to print custom t-shirts. The challenge is to create a system that is able to support itself yes, but also creates happiness and positivity in the lives of it's employees and in the community.

To the mid-level management: Read about Chairman Mao and the Great Leap Forward. What you're doing now is exactly what mid-level supervisors did then, and the result won't be any better. As a mid-level manager your job is to advocate for your employees and keep them happy and healthy while inspiring them to perform at a level that is pleasing to upper-management. Leadership isn't about forcing the production of a desired product to show off to upper management; it's about forming a bond with your team and LEADING them. Show a good example. Be on their side. Fight on their behalf for things like cost of living and a system of pay that isn't based on back-biting.

Great, Innovative Company

I have been working at CustomInk as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Google-like creative and hardworking atmosphere. Free food, t-shirts, other benefits like onsite gym, doc, company picnic, holiday party. Going above and beyond is recognized. Great, new location in the middle of Mosaic. Friendly coworkers and culture.

Cons

Pay is okay. Not sure about job outlook.

The company is growing quickly and is offering great opportunities. Don't forget those at the bottom of the totem pole.

Amazing Company, Bumpy Growth

Former Employee - Satisfaction Assurance  in  Reno, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Satisfaction Assurance in Reno, NV (US)

I worked at CustomInk full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is plenty of office camaraderie and fantastic benefits!

Cons

Busy season can last far longer than expected and become unwieldy, and customers can be dizzying in their demands as the company is known for being particularly flexible.

When I worked there, there were sudden, jarring changes in management which made communication difficult and ultimately led to my leaving the company.

One raise in nearly three years

Current Employee - Expert Production Artist  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Expert Production Artist in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love my coworkers. I've met some of the nicest, most worthwhile people at this job and it is possible to have a legitimately good time at work.

Also, I'm very pleased with the benefits package I receive. My health insurance is great and there are a lot of nice little perks, like a meal provided by the company on Thursdays and a frozen yogurt machine on-site at Fairfax.

Cons

In Order Operations, a significant portion of your work is tied directly to performance. If you aren't able to meet your quotas, your pay will not be what you expect. And it's not as though each order you handle is the same with the same degree of work required. While one order might take 5 minutes, the next might take a few hours. In EPA, the values of the various order difficulties are staggered so it's certainly better than them being of equal value but it's still problematic.

Additionally, there is no system set up for annual raises, at least not based on company loyalty or seniority. Instead, there are Stride Increases, which are only available annually and are based on performance and accuracy. These increases can be particularly difficult to achieve and are barely in keeping with inflation.

Recently, the company had it's first $1 million dollar day. To celebrate, we're there bonuses? No. Instead, the CEO went around and handed out Hershey's bars with a little printed note thanking us for helping to achieve that milestone. I found it to be insulting and patronizing.

CustomInk is a company that is doing incredibly well in a short period. They are not passing that success onto their employees, at least not in my department.

Awesome company and people

Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative  in  Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best place I've ever worked

Cons

Cant think of any cons

CustomInk is a great company

Current Employee - Sales Service Representative  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Service Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and perks of working for the company. Lots of fun events.

Cons

Pay, cost of living is more than pay. Management isn't very organized and doesn't communicate very well in sales service. Not a lot of support for growing within the company.

n/a

Worked for CustomInk? Contribute to the Community!