D&B

Updated 21 January 2015
3.1

D&B President & CEO Robert Carrigan
Robert Carrigan

Pros
  • The culture is positive and the company values employees work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• D&B had one of best work life balances which I have experienced in my career :) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Because D&B is a huge company, implementing ideas or change can be difficult (in 26 reviews)

• Senior management too focused on reaching their numbers (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastically friendly company with every intention of building you skills to move up the ladder.

Former Employee - QA Tester in High Wycombe, England
    Former Employee - QA Tester in High Wycombe, England

I worked at D&B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Trained to do everything needed or wanted to know. Team building days out. Nobody is better than anyone else no matter what your job is. All jobs advertised internally before going to agencies. Pension and private healthcare

Cons

Improving skills to hit monthly targets and gain promotion.

You couldn't have taken better care of me. My redundancy was upsetting but that's a part of life.

They were the days

Former Employee - Middle Market Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Middle Market Sales Leader

I worked at D&B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Expense culture in early 2000 was amazing, anything got a sign off and I mean anything
    UK SD never missed a target and he was inspirational then he left and guess what they missed targets and still do today

Cons

Blureprint for growth, stopped all the fun and we all left. Now they have yes men there and they have no sparkle and v

Get some balls tell the US to stay away from Europe and invest in technology and product
    They are being left behind and becoming a commodity with both brand and product

A mature business unable to rejuvenate itself

Current Employee - Finance in London, England
    Current Employee - Finance in London, England

I have been working at D&B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Has a solid brand name in some regions

Cons

Not investing long term in people due to re-engineering
    Too slow to keep up with competitors in all markets
    Too much hubris within leadership

Investors need to think long term as they are losing tacit knowledge among key talent
    Not enough staff year on year to cope with increased workload
    Assess pricing strategy

Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I worked at D&B

Pros

Good communication from management. The organisation is large enough for professional advancement and receptive to new ideas from staff. Generally, I was happy with my wage packet and benefits.

Cons

Too much corporate jargon. And the top down approach to building a corporate culture based on pride for the workplace is less motivational and somewhat more stifling. This is admittedly not a huge problem, but is fairly pervasive.

D&B is a good place to work, there's no need for all the corporate jargon and enforced team building exercises. People will be happier if they can just get on with their work.

Interesting experience - be prepared for constant change

Current Employee - Account Manager in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Marlow, England

I have been working at D&B

Pros

As long as you know the right people you get far.

Cons

Very short term focus, although think this is slowly changing

Look beyond the obvious sales mentality, motivate the teams, learn about the other functions in the business

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Product Management
    Current Employee - Product Management

I have been working at D&B full-time

Pros

Collegial, good life balance, nice people to work with, reasonable compensation

Cons

Tough place to work if you want action.

After decades of being run to push down costs, there are areas where millions of dollars are at risk, and a fix would be a tiny percentage of the revenues at risk. Management really needs to make these unglamorous but essential investments. As an employee, my greatest concern is not about compensation, or benefits, or a friendly atmosphere, but about concern that the company is investing adequately to ensure D&B will remain a going concern for more than the next few years. It's way too tough to get modest budget requests for things that will shore up businesses that serve key clients and make millions for the firm. That said, I think broadly Management is a good bunch - maybe with too much on your plate?
    Maybe it might make sense to have someone specific in senior management whose job is to look at the many unsexy but key businesses, and figure out how to shore them up from a decade of relentless resource cutting.

Excellent Place to work

Former Employee - Leader, Tech Ops in Short Hills, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Leader, Tech Ops in Short Hills, NJ (US)

I worked at D&B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, definitely rewarded the employees for working hard. The company cared about a work-life balance and understood the need to work remotely.

Cons

When I was there the technology was outdated. They outsource much of IT and a fair amount of the knowledge. It took a while to get institutional knowledge.

Find a better balance between insourcing and outsourcing technical functions. For the sole purpose of driving better business outcomes.

Senior Sales Executive with 27 years experieince

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at D&B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Brand, Great Value, great company

Cons

Glass ceiling, opportunities minimal at certain levels

Uptight company to work for

Former Employee - Relationship Manager
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager

I worked at D&B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, decent opportunity for growth/career advancement

Cons

Very political to navigate and management is constantly changing.

Focus & execution challenged

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Short Hills, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Short Hills, NJ (US)

I have been working at D&B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Worklife balance exists in most parts of the org. CEO is very personable and approachable. Company is in good financial status. Getting more modern with policies (e.g. dress code).

Cons

Product innovation is talked about, but lacking in execution. Don't expect funding/resources to help achieve your objectives. Seems like there are so many groups that want to do their own thing which really translates to a lack of focus across the company (the CEO is trying to correct this). Despite a new HR Leader, HR/Recruiting is embarrassing and could use a severe overhaul. My experience as a prospect/new hire was poor. I also recommended a friend for a job...her experience during the interview process was less than desirable. Office locations are spread out - probably too much for a company of this size & many employees work remote. Beware if you like to have actual human interaction.

Take a good hard look at the recruiting/new hire process and find ways to improve it.