DISH

1,959 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,254 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive Despite Reputation

Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst II in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst II in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

When preparing for my interview I came to this site, and searched some about employee experience on the internet and saw it listed as one of the worst places to work. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and have thoroughly enjoyed my management, my office, my peers, and my work. Several years ago there was a reputation of the corporate side being run like the military. My experience in the past few months has reflected a much more laid back atmosphere with schedule flexibility, project flexibility, and fun co workers.

On a larger scale, it seems like the DISH products seem to be improving. It seems like DISH has a head start on the future with the ownership of all its wireless spectrum. It's an exciting time to start with the company.

Cons

I'm underpaid relative to my education (though I've heard that with tenure within company DISH tends to pay better than competition). Benefits are meh. Healthcare is comparable to Obamacare. 50% match on 401(k) up to $5,000 ($2,500 match) isn't great, nor is the 5 year vesting period for it. Employee Stock Purchase Program is nice if there's wiggle room in your budget for it, but that might be a year 2 or 3 type of thing for young people.

There has been a high level of recent attrition, which may lead to disorganization, although it seems the company has turned the corner (on the corporate side) in terms of employee experience.

The company has a miserable reputation for its employees. This, matched with a low starting salary offer likely drives a lot of talented applicants away. I have loved my job from day 1, but I absolutely would not have accepted the job if my manager didn't knock my interview out of the park when I was there. I'd be missing out, but the reality is that the company is not appealing from the outside looking in yet.

DishAppointed

Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in El Paso, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in El Paso, TX (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Almost free TV, performance incentives, tuition reimbursement, opportunities for growth, awesome co workers, experience and most of all flexibility! LEAD training for leaders.

Cons

Lack or no HR Management support, unethical practices such as data manipulation, favoritism, my way or the highway managerial tactics, conflict of interest left and right, onsite soliciting,managers sleeping with direct reports, retaliation, and theft. Oh yeah HR management and Sr Director see the other way, they are the sponsors of such behaviors and culture. Stop saying and preaching we work for the people? not!!!! The winning culture in EL Paso will not change until these unethical leaders or managers are gone!

Executive leadership should really look in the mirror or research to see if HR management and Director level leadership are even qualified to meet expectations for their roles? Maybe even check to see if their educational background is in line with DISH expectations. Historically these people will say they work for the people but if you really do some Homework DISH ethics will see that maybe the strategic plan for El Paso is a fallacy!Please look into all these unethical practices and get rid of the root cause of most of your issues in El Paso Manufacturing. Mr. Ergen look into these issues or you might be Dishappointed!!!!!!!!!!

They do not care about employee's

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harlingen, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harlingen, TX (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Training, available OT. Shift bids.

Cons

Disgusting customer base and company SOP for handling them. This customer first attitude has front line reps serving as punching bags for the managers sake.

Treat employee's better. A lawn mower contractor shot a rock through my window and when I pleaded to human resources and they dismissed me saying that they could not do anything. That is ridiculous, its costing me a weeks pay to fix something a ignorant migrant worker caused. You aren't going to retain employees this way. I'm leaving next week.

Always changing, challenging, and great group of people to work with.

Current Employee - NOC Analyst in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - NOC Analyst in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH

Pros

The career growth and opportunities.

Cons

The nature of the business - operations are 24/7/365.

Keep positive feedback flowing.

Good place for starters

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flushing, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flushing, NY (US)

I worked at DISH

Pros

Good working environment, many oppurtunites for growth.

Cons

Long hours, hard to do anything else except work, and you have to work more to grow, overtime etc.

Consider part-time opportunities.

Dissatisfied

Current Employee - Tester in Spartanburg, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Tester in Spartanburg, SC (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They finally raised the pay scale. Job well done on that. They have taken steps to attempt to make changes for the better.

Cons

Management is very poor. Separate rules for each shift. No one seems to have any answers to any questions on night shift. Right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing. Very hard for some to move with in the company. I have had much better benefits with other companies. I, as well as others would like to see medical benefits with a small copay for doctor visits an prescriptions. I personally can not afford to use the insurance with the huge deductible we have.

All shifts need to get on the same page. They need to listen to their employees concerns more instead of just blowing us off. There have been numerous safety concerns brought up but they blow it off and don't take the employees concerns to heart.

Learned how a listening ear, and a desire to help can solve all kinds of problems! :)

Former Employee - Technical Helpdesk Representative in Thornton, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Helpdesk Representative in Thornton, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people! Theresa Smith in particular, made you feel a part of a team... <3

Cons

Nights in a building with no windows. :(

Dish is a great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Christiansburg, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Christiansburg, VA (US)

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Good pay. Nice people. Benefits are good.

Cons

Sometimes not so good hours.

Keep up the good work.

Generally a positive experience

I worked at DISH

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked for. They treat all of their employees fair and offer many opportunities.

Cons

This company has the most physical labor of all companies I have worked for. You have to be prepared for a physical job.