DISH

2.5 1,462 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

1,462 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Starting pay is good but not enough for the amount of work that is required of you"
    in 47 reviews
  • "The company requires only a 4-day work week in my department"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement"
    in 86 reviews
  • "Everyone is expected to work long hours, and sometimes you're not even thanked for it"
    in 72 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great experience working at Dish

Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked for Dish for 2 years and it was really a good experience for me. The work environment was pleasant and my coworkers were friendly and helpful. This was my first job in a call-center, but the training was thorough and initially a supervisor frequently checked up on me. I guess it depends on the trainer, but I found that our classroom training was actually pretty complete. The first call I answered was still a little bit nerve-racking, but soon I got over it.

I've found that management (managers, coaches, supervisors, and trainers) treat us with respect and as responsible adults. Even as a call-center newbie, I was promoted after 12 months and think that this experience helped me get a management position in a call-center (where I work today)

ConsThere's a high employee turnover. I think that's largely because HR doesn't clearly set expectations for what it's like in the call-center. But it affects all of us in the call-center because we're constantly having to train new people. The health care options are pretty bad and I ended up just opting out of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to retain employees longer. It's costs the company a lot of time and money to train so many people.

Steady job, good pay, long hours

Installer (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH for more than 3 years

ProsAfter going through training, this job is pretty steady. Unless you really mess up, you'll slowly be promoted and get the occassional raises. The place most people mess up is on their metrics. Stick with rules, keep an eye on your metrics, and that's pretty much it. Besides picking up the van and dropping it off, the rest of you day will be driving or at a customer's doing installation / service work. Most techs don't mind spending the majority of their day alone. 4 day work week is great and so is the free TV.

ConsBe prepared for long days of physical labor. Most shifts are 12-13 hours and occasionally 14-15.
Sometimes customers can be difficult to deal with and occasionally you end up seeing some crazy things inside the subscriber's house! I can't believe people don't cleanup before having a service person come over!?

Advice to Senior ManagementLet techs take trucks home. It will save us a little time, but a lot of energy!

Call center in Flushing

Flushing, NY (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsI work in the South-Asian group at the call-center in Flushing. My favourite part of this job are my coworkers. The team here is close and fun. We often go to lunch and have dinner for coworkers' birthdays.

Despite being such an international city, New York City doesn't offer a lot of jobs that pay multi-lingual people well. Since I started working at Dish, I feel like my language abilities are valued by my employer. It's great! In addition to taking calls, I also help out with translating scripts and other materials. The culture is very diverse and international in our office. Training is paid.

Day-to-day work is interesting because no 2 customers are the same. It's generally pretty easy to know if you're performing well because of the metrics that are used to benchmark and compare employees.

My family is now insured and enjoys watching free Dish with all the channels in the south asian packs.

ConsLong hours can be a drain if you're on the phone all day. On the other hand, the hours go every slower when there aren't any calls
Supervisors can micromanage especially if your metrics aren't very good.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove some of the lower levels of management. I don't see them contributing much and in some cases they just add bureaucracy

Fun, forward-thinking company

Field Service Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsDish is probably the best pay television provider in the US. That's not saying too much since the others are horrible, but I'm still glad to work for the company that has the most advanced technology and who's management makes a lot of effort to stay ahead of the competition. New products and company branding have been the focus since Joe Clayton became CEO. I love the team that I work with! Managers are sent to management training. Recently, focus has turned to core metrics. This is great because managers can know if they're meeting performance expectations. In addition to base pay, there's a lot of opportunity for bonuses based on performance. But take heed: getting these bonuses requires a lot of dedication and hard work.
Free programming is another plus that my family appreciates.

ConsNot a lot of room for advancement unless you want to go to corporate. That's not so bad, but I'm not sure how much value my experience installing will be. Medical insurance isn't very good.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove medical benefits.

The Times, they are a'Changing

Front Line Agent/Field Support/TE41 (Current Employee)
Alvin, TX (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis is my 2nd review: The 1st one was before the axe dropped on upper management. Things in the Alvin CSC were strained, oppressive, nerve racking, loud, micro-managed.

Since we've gotten all new managers, life here has gotten much better. New management has a lot better attitude towards their agents. Open doors, smiling faces, great personalities. Lots of creative incentives.

It was good to see Joe make an appearance. He has a great sense of humor, some really good ideas where this company is and should be heading.

I have no complaints about my schedule. We finally got our Saturdays back! Merlin is true to his word.

Consit's still a juggle to keep your numbers up to get a bonus payout. It's do-able, but you can't count on customers following simple tasks or even understand the survey and how to grade the call.

SALES: I understand bottom line, I really do, but come on now, Loyalty is bleeding us dry. And we, the Frontline, have to make up for the excessive credits applied to questionable accounts. (one customers bill was only $4.99 per month, 3*, she pays less then me, and I get the AEP FREE!!)

Hourly pay could/should be better. I understand starting pay, but someone, such as myself with years of experience and doing well, should not be given a few cents annual PA raise. With attaining the PAW award, most valued employee of the month, QA record holder, P4P 6 months (or more) in a row, back to back to back 5's in C-Sat, only to be given a slight increase....

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the Good Work!

it has been nice and but little stagnant

Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee)
Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Prosthe managers are awesome and the team is great

Consraises are a joke

Advice to Senior Managementplease consider a good raise to keep the good employees

Legal department review

Legal (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have been working in Dish's legal department for the last 13 months. It's my first job after passing the bar. I was hesitant about working in corporate, but during the interview process I got to speak to Dish GC Stanton Dodge. I was impressed by the way he handles the wide variety of legal issues that Dish and Echostar face on a regular basis: corporate/structure, IP, litigation, employee, bankrupcy, international, of course domestic and international contracts. He also told me about some of the senior lawyers I would get to work with. I decided to try Dish, and it was a great decision:
> Lifestyle and work/life balance is really great. Of course there are weeks that are very long, but that's not regular. There is also time to escape to the mountains on the weekends.
> Work with great external firms around the world.
> Experience working on a variety of cases with senior lawyers. Dish is a big company that has a lot of faces, and our legal department certainly is certainly more well known than most internal legal departments!

Cons> Starting pay is subpar, but it averages out after a year or two.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Another job. It pays the bills

CSR4 - Broadband Support (Current Employee)

ProsSteady paycheck
Health insurance
OT
Paid training
Work environment is decent at Riverfront

ConsSupervisors and HR can be very strict on hours, paid time off, and sick days.

Don't try to trick them!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better supervisors. Our team just got a new supervisor who knows less than we do, so he's not much help

Strong company under forward thinking leadership

Leadership Development Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA cursory glance at the news and most people will see that Dish has turned itself around. The stock price is about 3 times what it was 2-3 years ago, and it's still trending up. Charlie Ergen is always strategizing and planning long-term. In fact, one of his "5 rules" is just that: "Think Long Term!" He started buying spectrum years ago and now the investors have realized its worth. Being part of a company like Dish is exciting, because in addition to maintaining current business, we're thinking about what's going to be important in 4-5 years. There's a real comraderie because a lot of employees feel ownership (and own stock).

ConsLike any Fortune 200 company, you'll have to play some politics to succeed in management at Dish. My recommendation is to find a director that likes you and who you can look up to, and then work with him/her as much as possible. People don't work at Dish because of the high salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to bring in fresh blood. Most promotions recently to upper management have been long time employees. Bringing in new faces will stimulate the company and bring fresh perspectives. Nothing occurs to me right away.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

large enterprise IT department

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
Aurora, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- One of the largest IT departments in the Denver area, so lots of opportunities
- Enterprise development experience
- Generally pretty good practices on releases
- Cafeteria has decent food and it's well priced
- Having worked in Dish is generally well-viewed by other IT organizations and

looks great on the resume
- Engineers are the best paid staff at Dish!

Cons- Because of the mission critical systems and gigantic staff, releases can become

bureaucratic and slow
- Office politics
- Office hours are strict. Be in the office before 9 or else!

Advice to Senior ManagementSee how teams can be made into smaller, multi-discipline units that can work more

efficiently and with less bureaucracy

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!

DISH Videos

DISH – Why Work for Us?

The Dish on DISH. Pride: We possess the integrity to set high goals and the commitment to achieve the results. We believe pride is a personal commitment, to do your best in everything you do.Our Core Values… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DISH reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for DISH CEO Joseph Clayton. All 1,462 reviews are posted anonymously by DISH employees.