DISH

2.5 1,671 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

(1,067 ratings)

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons (in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights
1,671 Employee Reviews

Ok Company to work for...

Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee) Pine Brook, NJ (US)

ProsPay is decent, OT is always available to make more

ConsBenefits are horrible and expensive. Managers are not helpful. No growth potential no matter what experience you have prior to starting Dish

Advice to Senior ManagementAttempt to promote within. Consider employees resume as well as work ethic while at Dish. Just because someone accepted a lower level position with Dish does not mean he/she has not prior management experience. That experience should not be overlooked.

Politics

Advanced Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK (US)

ProsOpportunity to learn additional skills that come with a pay increase (not all skill types include rate increase) & internships. In the three years Ive worked there, I went from $11.50 to $16.38. And thats before I received my undergraduates.

ConsEverything is about politics. There is a high turn over rate. Coaches (aka Supervisors), managers, and floor agents quit or get fired all the time. Firing is usually due to poor project managing and the lack of coaching for the agents. Quitting happens because of poor management, not the customers. Politics: If they dont like you they will find a reason to fire you. The reason will not make sense and they will talk you in circles. Everyone is looking out for themselves to keep their job instead of helping each other, including managers. There is always one or two hiring classes in session. The shifts are done via bid and not flattering. I currently work 11a-10p Friday through Monday. Previous shift was Wed-Sat 830a-730p.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to help those seeking advice to succeed at their job. Be constructive. If your managers actually had degrees, which would give them the training they need, the turn over wouldnt be so high.

Disorganized and disconnected

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Harlingen, TX (US)

ProsSite manager is a great guy, lady below him a little cold sometimes but ok, management is willing to work with your schedule when valid, and your stats are top rank, bonus easy to reach.

ConsFavoritism - numerous coaches having sexual liaisons with employees, and protecting said employees from doing any real work - allows them to quickly escalate calls to sup calls - will fight others tooth and nail - managers of coaches will turn a blind eye to this as long as it doesn't make noise to the higher ups, thus upper management has no idea of this. Trainers will tell you they get incomplete info so sometimes you walk into a storm blind and get held accountable for it. They tell you bonuses are optional, but, to get them, you have to meet your stats, if you don't meet your stats then action plan to termination, so bonuses aren't really optional, just a nice way of them lording your job over you. Will switch your schedule with a weeks notice, if unable to adjust that quickly, de merited, overtime is no longer required, but highly pressured to do so. QA will sink you, but refuses to get into the dirt themselves to figure out where their employees are coming from when they get blasted with call after call.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your offices, stop relying on your managers to tell you what's going on, obviously employees aren't telling you either, so, figure out how to put your ear to the ground because you're missing some really messed up stuff going on, and put a little more consideration into family life and get in the trenches once in awhile and hold your self accountable to your own standards to figure out how your policies effect the average call.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inbound Sales

Inbound Salws (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsThere are a lot of nice, good people who work for Dish and this includes some of the management staff as well. If you become good at the job you can make a lot of money here and this isn't one of those places where only the top 5-10% make a decent living while everyone else suffers. Those who make it 6 months should average about 45-50K a year if you perform in the top 50%.

ConsThis job was by far the most frustrating job I've ever had. You will absolutely be micromanaged, the direct supervisors are paid to sit there and assure your wasting absolutely zero time and holler at you from their towering cubicle if you take anymore than 30 seconds between calls because if effects their paycheck.

What angered me more than anything was their version of quality control. This department will monitor your calls and the slightest mistake (and I do mean slightest) you'll lose a sale, the second time you'll lose two sales, the third results in the lose of three sales, ect. This will continue for 6 months then everyone goes back to zero. I know people who where all the way up to losing 30 sales for one mistake. What is extremely unfair is when you make a mistake that results in the loss of your sales you won't find out about it until around 5-7 days later, so if you are making a unintentional mistake you could continue doing so for a whole week resulting in the loss of lots of income money before you'll ever be corrected! I've been hit for mistakes I didn't even make however most supervisors are afraid to give push back for a correction because quality tends to get upset and then they become even more critical and tend to but a target on the backs of all the sales people under that supervisor who called them out for their mistake. It's also strange sales people will never meet anyone from quality control nor will they explain just how it is they are paid which leads to sales people assuming their make their money on some sort of commission type bases for find errors. This is all by the companies doing since they surround the department in such secrecy. Also it really rubs employees the wrong way knowing this is a source of income for the company, and because they become more critical as the more money you make and that is an absolute fact.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about quality control, leave nothing to the imagination and have them hold the sales people accountable right after their call so the problem is fixed immediately. Don't wait a week and make the employee feel like you waited so the company had more time to take more sales from the employee .

No real chance of advancement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hilliard, OH (US)

ProsFree tv services, most of the co-workers and bosses are great! Free food on fight nights, lots of contests

ConsThere is no real room for advancement, schedules are not worked with. No way to request time off due to illness, injury, death, etc. One time you can have a leave of absence max 4 weeks. No STD unless you qualify for it during the open enrollment period. Contests seem to be always won by the same people every time, therefore lowering the morale of those who would participate.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more personable. Come out and introduce yourselves to those who work beneath you. Very few of the managers come out and say hello to anyone except their friends. Let people know that they are appreciated.

This job was very stressful due to employment metrics that often changed day-to-day.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Thornton, CO (US)

ProsThis company provided a relatively stable work schedule that only changed about once per year. Provided frequent training in small units. The benefits package was standard and comparable to other places that I have worked.

ConsIt is difficult to get a pay increase as they are tied to the job metrics that change too frequently (sometimes a change is made one day and then changed again the next day. Dish realized how wrong this was and has changed the way metrics are measured, but too late for this change to apply to me causing my termination due to not meeting the handle time metric). The management team does very little to improve conditions as they appear to be afraid for their own jobs if they attempt to voice a need for changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSwitch jobs periodically so you can see how the various components of the business affect each other internal company performance and metrics. Stop ducking and lead; standing out in the crowd is how you advance.

Dish makes me regret ever applying for a job

Advanced Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) Hilliard, OH (US)

ProsMy hourly rate is not abysmal. I enjoy the company of my coworkers. Voluntary shift bid every 2 weeks if you don't like your current schedule or you need to change (nevermind that it took me several months before I got mine).

They finally cleaned the keyboards!! That's exciting because the keyboards were disgusting.

ConsPromotions so rarely happen and it seems like they already know who they are going to hire before they even post the job. They just post it because they are required to do so.
    A good chunk of supervisors and team leads do little to support their team or provide feedback.
    Unable to request unpaid time off if your pdo/sick time has been used. I finally got a schedule that I enjoy and we're doing another enterprise wide shift bid, which is disappointing.
    There seems to be a large disconnect between the call centers and corporate.
    Our call center looks like a brick prison. The Time Warner Cable call center is fantastic. They have a gym and a cafeteria. They all get their own desks. I would like a better and larger facility. The carpet is all mismatch and horrifically dirty. There are 3 different types of carpet, right next to each other. I'm assuming when they replaced carpets in earlier years, something was blocking these rows of random carpet? You put in a foosball table and a ping pong table? I would have preferred a cafeteria. Something that serves good food. Or expanding, so that everyone can have their own desk (less spread of disease that way).

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't believe I've really ever spoken with anyone in upper management. Maybe you should get to know your employees.
    Offer better benefits and set good expectations as a company.
    There's something wrong when your CEO says "Dish isn't for everyone" after being informed that Dish was rated the worst place to work for.

Still a long road ahead for improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounted TV service
    Great coworkers
    Good learning experience

ConsPoor work/life balance
    Compensation does not match workload
    Horrible benefits
    High turnover rate
    Terrible upper management
    Limited advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees equal happy customers. Focus more on entire employee base instead of rewarding a few. Share the wealth.

Installation position

Dish Network Installer (Current Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

ProsSchedule is 4 on in a week, 3 off.

ConsNot showing appreciation to the guys out of the warehouses, only the corporate employees.

BAd work life balance

Direct Sales (Current Employee) Pine Brook, NJ (US)

ProsGood money. Long hours but if you do not close you do not eat. Nice bonus opportunities.

ConsLong hours. Horrible management. make less money going into management. Managers were just sales people that could not make it.

Advice to Senior Managementgive up

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!