Danaher

Danaher Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Danaher President, CEO, and Director Larry Culp Jr.

Larry Culp Jr.

Pros:
  • "Very process driven the Danaher Business System really works"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Good compensation, good benefits, some good people"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Danaher can be a tough place to work in terms of work life balance and stress"
    in 12 reviews
  • "There is absolutely no work-life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ruthlessly Efficient

Engineer (Current Employee)
Hatfield, PA (US)

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAggressively managed by financial hawks. No wonder it's a well-performing stock. Hard to imagine any competitors being more ruthless.

ConsUh, like I said, aggressively managed by financial hawks. Very hard on employees, suppliers and customers. Layoffs come without warning. Solely focused on short-term goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementI doubt it would be wildly expensive to earn some small level of loyalty with your employees and your suppliers. Word travels; the present situation negatively affects Danaher's ability to recruit.

Good company, great employees, selfish management

I have been working at Danaher for more than 3 years

ProsProcess and metrics driven, drive to get results, unrelenting pursuit of continuous improvement

ConsKeep demanding more from employees and rewards are limited to a few. Career development is also only for a limited set of employees - others are merely worker bees. Several executives are considered to be selfish, motivated only by their own compensation and payback.

Great Lean culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Elizabethtown, NC (US)

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than a year

ProsAble to get things changed quickly, easy to move to different roles. Sister companies offer a ton of opportunity if you are willing to move.

ConsVery high turnover, maybe due to remote location. This location is a cash cow with little investment in plant and equipment. There seemed to be a preference for ex-military for management promotions.

Former Employee

Quality (Former Employee)
Carlsbad, CA (US)

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood place to gain experience but I would not stay more than 3-5 years. Benefits are good. Salary ranges have not changed since the company started. Once you make it to a certain level, you never get another raise. It is almost impossible to get promoted. They might give you a new position but it's usually at the same salary.

ConsThey set goals that are unrealistic and unattainable. Part of the problem was because management has no idea how much time it takes to perform a job. My position required me to stay until 6-6:30pm every night, come in on weekends and to work on holidays, just to keep my head above water.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about work life balance. Have defined career paths to get to the next level. Provide in house training to enhance employee knowledge.

Potential varies on your manager, not your performance

Customer Service Leadership (Former Employee)

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, additional opportunities, Lean, safe work environment

ConsWork never stops
Goals are set so high, you are meant not to hit them
Unless you are a "high potential" there is no clear path for advancement - and it is largely based on your individual manager as to how well you can do here.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore career counseling and defined goals please.

Poor work/life balance - no sales culture

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood compensation, good benefits, some good people.

ConsNo work life balance. Profit is everything. Short sighted. Spreadsheet centric not sales centric.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour sales force is your true customer.

They know the price of everything, and the value of nothing.

I have been working at Danaher full-time

ProsLots of training in quality. Not so much practice. If they need you they pay well.

ConsEvery month the screws get tighter. Less vacation, fewer benefits, endless ways to chop nickles and dimes out of your total compensation.

Current Employee

I have been working at Danaher

ProsGood benefits. Operating companies are allowed some degree of autonomy

ConsNo work/life balance. Always made to feel that the work produced is never good enough. Salaries lag the market.

Danaher DNA?

A Senior Engineering Leader (Current Employee)
New England (Jamaica)

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent learning experience. Competitive pay. If you want to lead and excel and work in a competitive environment, this place is for you

ConsIf it's not, and you want to find a job that you like and can stay at for a long time, need not apply.

Despite all their talk, the managers have no control. They are still lower on the hill in the direction of leadership. If you want to excel, just complete your tasks. They don't have to be right, they just need to be on time. They prefer to throw it up on the wall, rather than put any rational thought behind it.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the comments here! You treat your employees like a statistic and don't hide the fact. Forcing a furlough with 8% in sales growth despite no investment, hiring freeze, penny pinching scrutiny only to meet a short term goal, sits very poorly with your staff and employees that work for us.

Process is More Important Than the People

Sales Leadership (Former Employee)

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDanaher Business Systems (DBS) has value in identifying and tracking key metrics. Excellent comp and benefits

ConsThe purpose of DBS is to set the team up to not achieve their targets while pushing them to achieve as much as possible. Regardless of results you never feel like you are winning due the constant beat down you receive on a monthly basis. This results in very low job satisfaction and high turnover. Need to understand that not everything fits into DBS process. DBS doesn't work the same on the commercial side of the business as it does in operations. There is too much focus placed on internal metrics which will always cause pain to the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up on DBS...use what is good but let the team feel like they are winning. Focus more on the customer and not just on the shareholders.

Worked for Danaher? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Danaher reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Danaher CEO Larry Culp Jr.. All 103 reviews are posted anonymously by Danaher employees.