Danone

www.danone.com

Danone Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Danone – “Danone head office (Photo thanks to Wikipedia…”

Danone Chairman and CEO Franck Riboud

Franck Riboud

Pros
  • Good work-life balance if you are not too lasy to do your job in time(in 3 reviews)

• Good social connections between employes(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much internal politics and struggle between departments(in 3 reviews)

• Danone is a chauvinistic company as all the management team in Russia are French, the internal politics is common(in 5 reviews)

good company..something to improve

Finance (Current Employee) London, England

Prosgood environment
    people friendly
    good worklife balance

Conssome people are not competent enough

Graduate

Graduate (Current Employee) Trowbridge, England

ProsThe graduate scheme offers real roles, great benefits and rewards, nice culture

Conssometimes you have to work longer hours but nothing major

To call the experience dreadful would be an understatement.

Danone Baby Nutrition (Former Employee) Bath, England

Pros- good image based on marketing material they give away;
    - apparently employee-friendly policies (although I never witnessed them)
    - Joined to get experience in the sector

ConsPretty much everything but will structure more below:
    - People. I've had the worst experience of my life working for this company. I joined with the expectation of becoming a part of the Danone community that they so much advertise internally; in return I was treated like an outsider from the outset as the majority of people there had the same upbringing, values, culture, eating habits, discussion topics; I was the odd man out. It soon became clear to me I could not integrate in this company;

- Management. Very bad and utterly destructive. In the department I worked, all communication was taken place on an horizontal dimension, basically all bosses would stick together for better and worse and turn against their own individual employees when required.Another point: work expertise; every so often, managers would have absolutely no clue of the work their subordinates were doing every day. In moments of crisis, they would be totally stuck and helpless and then would blame the subordinates for making a mistake and incurring costs on the company. If things went well, they would take the credit; if things went badly, they would be the first to explode and put all evil on the back of their subordinates.

- Defficient communication - this company is the best example of how double-standards are best practised in a corporate environment. On the facade, Danone advocates open, honest communication;in reality, there was none of it in the department I was working. If for example, you did something wrong, nobody would come to tell you directly and help you improve; by contrast they would approach their own bosses, HR, or any other parties, apart from yourself. By the time you get to hear anything at all, everyone else knows very well what all is wrong with you. Dreadful approach.

- Extremely hierarchical in reality - Danone promotes itself of a great company with a wide range of benefits where everyone gets on with everyone and everyone works together for the common good of the company. Sounds a bit socialist, doesnt it? Well, the reality is quite different. If you join new, bosses in the entire department will expect you to behave in a certain way just because they are sitting at the ruling desk (and yes, watch out, there is actually a management row of desks in this department where all bosses sit by themselves, far from their teams, I think this needs no further explanation)...

And sadly, there is so much more, I could write a book about the emotional misery incurred on me by this company, but it's high time I moved on.

If I were you, I would conduct the background check carefully before joining the Danone world. Good luck!

Advice to Senior ManagementYes, please see above the references to management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Start!

Supply Chain (Current Employee) Ealing, England

Pros-The people are driven and kind and helpful
    -There is free water and yoghurt in the office
    -There is opportunity to move in your department
    -They are supportive and always put family first
    -They have weekly 1-2-1’s with your line manager and regular performance reviews
    -Lots of training avalible
    -Raises your self-awareness

Cons-The don’t pay in line with FMCG and are very open about this
    -They are thinning out middle management so you are left with a lot of tasks and not a lot of time for finding optimisation projects or improvements
    -If you don’t 100% fit the culture of CODE in the way they want you will get overlooked
    -They care more about the how you got the result then the result itself
    - They go back on their word in regards to social issues to save money
    -You will never get the 133% stretch bonus as the benchmark is always changing and moving
    - There is bias in roles and promotion and salary
    - You get ahead by being a yes man to your director

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more autonomy let people challenge the status quo and pay better to keep the good people.

A great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat work environment, everyone is really helpful, lots of perks

Conslow salary compared to industry standards

Advice to Senior Managementembrace more innovative technologies to reach customers

Good company, nice office, friendly pple

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

Prosculture products people time pressure atmosphere freebies

Conssalary is under average industry by a cool 10%...

Advice to Senior Managementraise the salary!

Great ideas let down by mixed execution

Sales Director (Current Employee) London, England

Pros- Genuine interest in its people
    - Commitment to healthier consumer solutions
    - Tend to see the slightly longer term horizon
    - Can do culture for a largish company (ie fail or succeed fast)
    - Some genuinely visionary senior management
    - Employees get discounts on brands!

Cons- Still very franco-centric
    - Silly seniority rules based on turn over of area of responsibility - makes it hard to get good people for new ventures or start up phase businesses
    - HR Banding system too limiting
    - Too Euro-centric still
    - Does not have real plan for next generation of healthy but enjoyable products
    - Does not really know what to do with its Nutricia business

Advice to Senior ManagementThink more vertically in its product development (from getting well to staying well) - inject some genuine cross cultural leadership at the more senior levels. More agile HR policies.

Great place to work!

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat people, great benefits. Free yoghurt & water at work. You get to own your projects and minimum interference is there from your seniors (providing you are doing a good job). Senior management is amazing, they take care of employees, held a lot of events. Conferences all over the world.

ConsThe cash package is not be in line with other companies of similar size. Hard to progress further (in IT atleast) as people tend to stick to their positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't say much really, they are awesome! Better than the CEOs of other companies who are solely interested in making bucks for themselves. Say Hi5 to the executives of Danone who are genuinly interested in the people who work for them.

I was a sales agent there for 3 years

Sales Agent (Current Employee) Varna (Bulgaria)

ProsYou can learn a lot of thinks there.

ConsHandling with uneducated customers, driving in bad condition roads

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the salaries

Has potential to be better, but will it ever be?

ProsGood values, working atmosphere, not excessively hierarchical, more activity oriented than process oriented which allows to take new directions relatively fast. Lots of room to succeed if you have leadership and want to get things done

ConsThe ability to be fast is hindered by insufficient focus on performance at a micro level; all focus on performance is on macro level and rather with short term perspectives
    Limited coaching, it can be swim or drown.

Worked for Danone? Contribute to the Community!