Dart Container

ProsGreat People
Meritocracy
great benefits package
401K
a lot of long time employees means that they treat you well

ConsOrg chart
Micromanagement
low pay on average

Otherwise, I don't really have much to say. You can make your career great at Dart.

A company that resists advancing in modern day culture.

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dart Container full-time for more than a year

ProsI'm salary so I'm not treated like an animal.

ConsPay is very little because they are headquartered in Mason Michigan and do not incorporate cost of living differences.
Benefits
Culture

From the outside, seems like a great company. On the inside, much improvement needed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dart Container full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYou'll always keep busy, plenty of unique work and projects to keep things interesting. Many opportunities to learn and build your skill set. Great employees, the people feel like a second family....very friendly knowledgeable co-workers. Very safety oriented.

ConsManagement is chaotic and unorganized at it's best. Terrible communication between departments, the longer you're employed here the more intolerable it becomes. Dart corporate offices used to promote from within, which is a wonderful practice it keeps the skill and talent where it needs to be for everyone to succeed...but has begun hiring management (with little to no experience with Dart products) from outside introducing yet another level of chaos. Parking is horrible on the Mason campus. You will need to show up for work at least a half hour early for any hope of parking within short walking distance to your building. Congested parking/traffic makes the parking lot dangerous for motorists and pedestrians. A lot of frivolous spending by management around the campus while many employees are paid well below national or even state wide average for their position title. If pay is brought into question, quick attention will be brought to Michigan's poor economy and how lucky we all are to have jobs. Ultimately, this company takes advantage of wonderful, skilled and talented people...always finding excuses to avoid the promotion or raise they deserve rather than recognizing their great work and potential. Some business practices are morally and professionally questionable. Many corporate bullies here. You will only be getting one day off for Christmas/July 4th, plan on using your earned vacation time for these holidays. Bonuses are very very small. I have heard many complaints from salaried employees that they are expected to work 50-60 hour weeks regularly. Definitely not a family oriented company. After 10 years I had to walk away...I loved the people...but the management and pay was horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't even know where to begin. Start with improving communication across the board and I'm sure things will fall into place. Start recognizing talented and skilled employees before you lose them. Treat employees with respect, some amazing people are being overlooked and have been for many years. The management here doesn't even support the culture Dart is trying to build. I believe the management of Dart corporate offices is actually causing the Dart culture to fail.

One of the best employers I have come in contact with

Deerfield Beach, FL (US)

I have been working at Dart Container full-time

Pros-Great company culture
-Good benefits
-Great work/life balance
-Great location in FL
-Wonderful management team
-Company is growing a lot

Cons-Pay ranges could be more competitive

Everything great except pay

Production Artist (Current Employee)
Mason, MI (US)

I have been working at Dart Container full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits are huge. For an artist it's nearly impossible to find a full time job with benefits in Michigan. Dart offers affordable health insurance, 401k, life insurance, as well as other things like their Wellness program. They act like they really care about their employees.

I love the people I work with and my supervisor. For me, the environment is almost 100% stress free (and I have anxiety so this is pretty amazing). They stress that accuracy is the most important and don't pressure you to rush through jobs like at other places I have worked at. You are able to take your time and do it right.

They took a great deal of time to train me, even though I already knew a lot about the programs we use. Most creative jobs don't even bother to do this. It's a big plus. You don't just get thrown into the mix without knowing what's expected of you. They are very clear on how they need things done.

There appears to be a great deal of opportunity to advance in the company.

ConsThe con is definitely only that the pay is pretty low. I have worked here less than a year and haven't gotten to my first raise yet, but I'm worried it's not going to be much even though I'm doing a great job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the artists more.. especially when they already have job experience and an education. Starting pay is very low.

it has been a challenging experience

Machine Operator (Current Employee)
Urbana, IL (US)

I have been working at Dart Container full-time for more than a year

Proswell put together benefit package

Consits kind of out my area

Advice to Senior Managementhave a sense of humor

good job but hard work

Machine Operator (Former Employee)
Leola, PA (US)

I worked at Dart Container full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBoss was fair and had an open door policy

ConsThey like to keep you moving

Great company, at least in the IT department

SAP ABAP Developer (Current Employee)
Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at Dart Container full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people, not too much time wasted looking over our shoulders, not much office politics, just a good solid company

ConsTravel, can be hard to get decisions made, travel, management in flux, travel, did I mention travel? Also, travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is handling things well during a disruptive time in the company's history

Mixed feeling- great benefits, not so great working environment

Inspector/Packer (Current Employee)
Waxahachie, TX (US)

I have been working at Dart Container full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey have excellent 401K and health insurance. They also have an open door policy and room for advancement.

ConsThey preach about safety but do not follow up well when safety concerns are brought to their attention. In fact, at the plant I work at they seem to fine a way up anyone who gets hurt. While sometimes it is partly the employee's fault, that is not always the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to the concerns of the employees and work to make things better for them. This will in turn make things better for the plant overall.

Degree-worthy work for half the pay! THAT's WHY DART HAS MADE BILLIONS!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dart Container

ProsBenefits are easily comparable to that of McDonalds. The pay is better than minimum wage, if you've been there over 8 years. The hours outside of the shop floors, are 8-5.

ConsDart is notorious for paying pennies for degreed work, from people who aren't rewarded with title or paid as such. The company refuses to replace the last 6 employees that left (because they found an employer willing to pay them what they're worth), but the employee (doing the work of 3 men) is reprimanded for not completing work of people who are 2 payscales/experience levels above them. This place is a joke. Between the occasional cut-throat layoffs, pay that barely covers the cost of living each year, PTO that is used against them in reviews if they choose to use it, unconditional black and white rules and policies for the minions, but salaried employees come and go as they please. Taking long lunches, arriving late and leaving early every day. While the hourly staff is docked days of pay for being late on a snow day that produces 10+ inches of snow. The employees’ concerns are never addressed or taken seriously. I have never seen such total disregard for uniformed rules and regulations, employee satisfaction and appraisals that lead to promotions, in all of my life. I am gainfully employed and have a college education and would never apply to this facility or recommend that anyone apply to this facility. STAY AWAY if you want to build a future career. It will be nothing but a life among the corporate zombies, hungry for money, eating souls for nourishment. SHAME ON YOU DART! CLEAN UP YOUR ACT! The only reason this employer is successful, is because they spend their money on acquisitions of the competition, not their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement uniformed policies that apply to hourly staff, management AND corporate. Setting an example is precedence for what you expect from your staff. Develop an employee satisfaction initiative. I guarantee if you take a survey, you'd find that well over 90% of your current employees are actively seeking employment elsewhere. Offer competitive pay, benefits that aren’t used against them in reviews and opportunities to move up. Treat your employees like humans with families, that vacation, cars that break down and sick children that need to be cared for, educational opportunities that will encourage your employees to flourish, not sit stagnant stacking cups and boxes. Hire someone to head that initiative, with the hundreds of thousands of dollars that you're not paying your hard working employees.

Worked for Dart Container? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dart Container reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Dart Container CEO Robert C. Dart. All 30 reviews are posted anonymously by Dart Container employees.