Dealertrack Technologies Reviews

Updated 10 April 2015
125 reviews filtered by

Worst company to work for.

Current Employee - BDC Inside Sales in South Jordan, UT (US)
    Current Employee - BDC Inside Sales in South Jordan, UT (US)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The occasional lunch that is bought for the employees, some of their incentives are nice if you're able to reach their goal demands.

Cons

Management. HR has no control over any of the supervisors or managers. The managers are allowed to pick favorites and give those favorites the best leads and job positions/promotions while threatening termination of the "lesser" employees for lack of trying hard even though they are never given a chance due to the unfair biased workplace.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop picking favorites. Several times I have went to HR about managerial problems where I am being verbally assaulted in front of my coworkers using vulgar language and nothing about it was done other than me being placed on a performance improvement plan because I was "failing" as an employee. Pretty easy to do when you're told every day how horrible you are at your job.

2. Great Company

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies

Pros

This company is a great place to work for. They have a lot of growth opportunities.

Cons

I believe once the training process is better things will only get better.

Advice to Management

Provide feedback, Coach and Develop. That should be something done across the board.

Love it Here

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time

Pros

Really love working here. Love the flexibility my role offers. As well as the company being very understanding that we all need work/life balance. Great opportunity for growth here.

Cons

Some of the company needs a little bit more transparency with it's employees, however, I understand why they don't do that as much. Just a catch-22 with us here.

Advice to Management

More transparency.

Great if you are one of the favorites. Not great if you're a skilled professional.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT (US)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generally a good work environment with great co-workers. The company is growing quickly and is set to be one of the major players in the automotive retail industry. Opportunities are limitless if you are one of "management's" favorites. Regardless of your skill set, education, work experience, or any other seemingly relevant factor, you can be promoted to senior management positions. The best part is you don't even have to worry about doing a good job in your current position, just buddy up to the executives.

Cons

Don't expect a promotion through hard work, training, or success in your current job, those are irellevant in the promotion process. Some people have been with the company 10+ years and are passed over by people with no experience.

Advice to Management

Keep a close eye on who gets promoted into senior managment.

Shaky but stable?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

industry leading company. Opportunity for movement both laterally, and upwardly. competitive salary in relation to industry standards. solid atmosphere depending on department.

Cons

company absolutely doesn't seem to know where it wants to go. convoluted directives that has various parts of the organization working in silos. Product development is very rarely inclusive of those in which industry knowledge can be leveraged. Which ends up harming the final result of said product. Competitors are capitalizing on this and the gap is shortening...quickly.

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies

Pros

They are making money. Mothership is moving, but prob they are the only ship in the sea.

Cons

Business growing too fast and technology teams struggle to transform and deliver.

Advice to Management

Invest in quality people with right mindset and good delivery records.
    Get rid of under performers, money burners, cry babies and blamers.
    Keep delivery on track the #1 target.

Disappointing Work/Life environment to work in

Former Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT (US)

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees and low level management were great to work with. The work was rewarding except for the demands of problematic software defects. The experience and knowledge to be gained is valuable and useful. The goals and direction of the company were exciting and aggressive.

Cons

I was rather disappointed that employee work/life needs seemed to be minimized over maximizing productivity and output. This was more of a culture change after the buyout and because of it much of the innovation and creative spirit were suppressed by metrics that were not equally applicable to all. The tools for measuring progress were not always clearly communicated despite what was said and there was always a lot of pressure to meet expectations that were not always controllable. I have worked in other growth companies and understand the need for change and progress but the elevated demands and stress levels at dt diminished the enjoyment of software engineering for me and I would not recommend it to most of my associates in the industry.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and consider why it may be difficult to attract and retain talented people.

It is a 15-year-old a startup firm that runs in chaos every day.

Former Employee - Database & Architecture in New Hyde Park, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Database & Architecture in New Hyde Park, NY (US)

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Other than making a small group of colleages who became friends, there were amost no Pros!

Cons

1. The company has 4 different change management systems. Different departments use their own preferred change management systems. Support staff who did the actual production got blindsighted on production changes all the time.

2. The management staff of the development team are trouble enablers. They encourage their staff to exclude DBAs on database designs and developed problematic application codes in production. They did not take responsibilities for their lousy work, but blamed on the DBAs. They played the blame game perfectly and always got away with it. Of course, they got rewarded with promotions!

3. The management staff and QA analysts of the testing are also trouble makers. They did ask their DBAs to do low value work such as loading, updating and deleting data or running meaningless queries. Their quality of their so-called performance testing is very limited to unit and integrated testing level.

4. Too many middle management who excels in micromanagement.

5. High unpaid overtime all the time. Management rarely offered comp days. They burned people out and replaced them.

6. Intra-team and inter-team bullying happen from time to time. Staff from their Dallas office could just dump work on their overwhelmed and overworked teammates in New York office and did not even care.

Advice to Management

Cut back your wasteful promotion on your trouble enablers above and pay close attention to the quality of work they deliver. They are the one to be blamed, not awarded!

Customer Service, Marketing Representative

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies

Pros

Flexible work schedule, ability to take time off

Cons

Limited growth opportunities, limited team building

Company is growing with lots of opportunities . . . management is so last century.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY (US)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is firmly established as a one-stop shop for automotive retailing software. Anyone who buys a car today in the US or Canada will most likely use their software or services. The company's CEO is vertical integration wizard practicing A&D (Acquire and Develop) to really deliver value to shareholders and customers. From a high-level view this company is poised for exciting growth over the next few years.The acquisition of Dealer.com should help increase the company's bottom line. Work/life balance is a great benefit of working here. The work environment is good and will get better with a new state-of-the art facility being built nearby.

Cons

The current management system is an antique of the last century. Acquired companies get wrapped up in red tape and a lot of the company's net income has been been re-invested in non-value producing positions that increase bureaucracy and impede future growth. Generally, the company's internal management is risk averse and most people work in silos. Trust is a big issue with management describing itself as 'needs improvement but above industry average.' This is a terrible admission of settling for mediocrity. Many managers were promoted from the tech ranks and do not have proper training to be good managers. Location of the office is an issue because of it's proximity to New York City where most of the technology talent the company needs prefers to work.

Advice to Management

1) Required reading:
        a -- Eric Schmidt and Jonathan Rosenberg's book "How Google Works"
        b -- Eric Ries' book "Lean Startup"
    2) Hire the best people. Take pains in doing so.
    3) Empower the best people you hire and get out of their way.
    4) Trim out waste and promote those who can lead and serve effectively.

Dealertrack Technologies Photos