Debenhams Reviews

Updated 4 October 2014
Updated 4 October 2014
2.4

Michael Sharp

Pros
  • 20% staff discount is handy, along with extra discount in the run up to Christmas (in 22 reviews)

• Debenhams has some very good staff working for them (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I may not be on the till at all times pushing people but I made sure the shop floor was tidy etc (in 9 reviews)

• Regularly short staffed in certain departments, particularly on Sundays and during sales (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Well run company

Former Employee - General Advisor in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    Former Employee - General Advisor in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I worked at Debenhams full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Such a large company normally holds plenty of chances to develop. You are rotated around sections of every department which works well to maintain concentration. The training is pretty well run as well.

Cons

Pay is next to minimum. Hours are sporadic. Some people get many hours. Other get less. Favoritism certainly exists in my center as well!

You have frequent meetings but only on certain days of the week, if one doesn't have a shift on this day they are ill-informed which is frustrating.

Difficult to progress; salary below close competitors.

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Debenhams full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, no bonus possibilities however discounts are very good (if you have a staff credit card)

Cons

Career progression is tricky once at a middle level. As with most companies they are happy to give out additional responsibilities and overwork staff with little reward. Pay is inadequate.

Recognise your loyal employees who wish to stay with the company and work hard; stop letting people move on just because they want a reasonable salary for the work they are doing.

I enjoy my role, i just wish it was easier to progress

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Luton, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at Debenhams part-time (more than an year)

Pros

convenient to get to and friendly staff. The staff discount is nice at 20% and 40% in the restaurant. occasionally hold competitions for people who open accounts.

Cons

I always working over my contracted hours but they refuse to up my contract so when i take holiday I lose out on average of 10-15 hours per week which i do not see how i should be at a loss for doing so. Oh wait I'm sure there's like a law or something that should restrict debenhams from doing this? what happened to the 13 week average rule I am treated as a senior sales advisor (higher in absence of supervisor) with the promise of progressing months ago but nothing has materialised. It is always difficult to get time off even if you try to book months in advance. There are not enough co-workers who are key holders so cashing up is always a joke, the manager never rotas people to cash up at the end of the day which always causes bickering between staff. There is never more than a weeks worth of rotas except for the occasional time, but that is always subject to change and you are never notified when they do so. there is too much pressure on staff to open accounts and you are never thanked or praised for doing so! then again you are never praised or thanked for doing anything! whenever the CEO or regional director come into the store we all have to pretend that we run efficiently and that there are no issues like the fact we are severely understaffed or have issues with delivery because of this!

make it easier for people to progress WITHIN the business instead of having to leave and then return to debenhams or wait a year. why should it be easier for people who do not work for debenhams to get a supervisor job then it is for current staff? there needs to be more opportunities within this company especially for people who have already had previous supervisor experience in other jobs/sectors . Also why should a store manager get to go on a holiday if they win model store, surely a party for the whole store or a day out would be better?

Great place to work as staff are very friendly

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Leicester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Leicester, England

I worked at Debenhams part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount on everything inc make up 25%
    Great environment
    Staff become a little family and look out for one another
    Good discounts during sales and first hand sale previews for staff

Cons

Managers are lazy
    Managers are target driven and want staff to do
    Same
    Holidays are difficult to get
    Concessions are like competitors and dont want to help the actual store staff

Decent

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Weymouth, England
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Weymouth, England

I worked at Debenhams part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good pay get to meet lots of interesting people and you get a useful discount

Cons

you can meet some really rude customers and can sometimes be a workload

Senior Sales Advisor

Former Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Preston, North West England, England
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Preston, North West England, England

I worked at Debenhams full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic teams, a generous staff discount (20-25% off, including sale prices), overtime is available although is often given without asking.

Cons

Rotas supposed to be available 4 weeks in advance, however their are constant battles with the management to ensure this is the case. Members of staff frequently rotaed in for days they have requested off. Very inflexible as to when you can take annual leave, as being understaffed means only one can ever be let go at any one time, despite their not being enough weeks in the year, and their being too many staff for that to be physically possible.

Career progression is extremely poor. You are expected to be performing above and beyond the next stage of progression before they will even consider promoting you. And even when they do promote you, they still tell you you have yet to prove yourself in that role.

Constant changes and errors in communication mean you frequently have to do a job twice. You could be taking down green 20% off ticketing one day and putting up red 20% off ticketing the next day.

Target focused to the extent they lose focus on the morale and welfare of the staff. Even if your department consistently achieves its account target, you will not be given a well done. You'll be told you have to help make up for the deficit some other department had 4-5 weeks ago. Where stores are struggling to hit accounts targets on a given day due to lack of footfall, all staff are to stop completing any tasks on the shopfloor to focus on getting accounts. This means when we're quiet we're stood around as we can't do anything else and there are no customers to talk to, then when we are busy we have to juggle getting jobs done and serving all customers. Surely we should be taking advantage of the quiet time to get jobs done so that we can focus purely on service when the store is busy?

No product training will be given.

Don't focus on the numbers to such as extent that you lose focus on maintaining good staff morale and providing great service to the customers. Recognise the consistency in terms of good performance from members of staff in store, encourage and build them up to be the managers of tomorrow, don't just keep saying "you haven't proven yourself yet".

brill

Current Employee - Cleanerq in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Cleanerq in Manchester, England

I have been working at Debenhams full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good to work for fair and good company

Cons

good training facilities and you get discount :)

The Dead Duke of Debenhams

Former Employee - Gift Advisor in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Gift Advisor in Manchester, England

I worked at Debenhams part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I met a lot of great people while working there, some of whom I am still in contact now.

Cons

I spent a lot of my time up on the top floor which was dark and dank, I did establish a belief (together with my colleagues) that this floor did indeed house a legend (that we created - or maybe didn't) - the 'Dead Duke of Debenhams' - a lonely ghost who died a long time ago of dust induced injuries while working a night shift on the top floor of Debehams...
    This top floor was where all of the christmas shelving units and things were kept through the year. It was like some sort of dusty hell, these units had not been touched since Christmas previous :/

A little pledge would go a long, long way! #PledgeForPledge

Enlightening

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Carmarthen, Wales
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Carmarthen, Wales

I worked at Debenhams part-time (more than an year)

Pros

consistent pay, challenging , extra hours, staff discount

Cons

no christmas bonus/ holiday bonuses, pay rate could be higher, repetitive , too many staff restrictions

I believe there should be less restrictions on the nature of tasks that staff are aloud to go about (i.e sales assistant would have to consult with supervisor to undress dummy for customer, time consuming to find supervisor at times and therefore slows customer service). I believe the barriers that health and safety create prevent staff from doing jobs more efficiently. I would encourage supervisors and management to consider extensive training to sales assistants so that the service they provide can be much more extensive and efficient.

Satisfactory

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Bournemouth, England
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Bournemouth, England

I have been working at Debenhams part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discounts
    Your daily duties are clear and organised
    Overtime avaliable

Cons

staff numbers are sometimes limited putting pressure and extra work on the staff who are working
    hard to get extra uniform
    difficult to communication with management when you only work weekends as management only work in the week

Management should have more communication with staff especially at weekends so any unresolved issues can be fixed.

Debenhams Photos