Debenhams Reviews

Updated 24 April 2015
173 reviews filtered by
2.3
Michael Sharp

Pros
  • 20% staff discount is handy, along with extra discount in the run up to Christmas (in 23 reviews)

• Debenhams has some very good staff working for them (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I may not be on the till at all times pushing people but I made sure the shop floor was tidy etc (in 9 reviews)

• no support, minimum wage, management never mix wilth staff or listen to them (in 8 reviews)

1. Senior Sales Advisor

I have been working at Debenhams part-time

Pros

The people are very friendly and easy to get along with. A lot of new product to deal with and events so there is always something new going on.

Cons

MasterCard targets can be pressurising some days when its really quite.

Advice to Management

More support and empathy when targets aren't met.

2. Not pleasant

Current Employee - Sales Adviser in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Sales Adviser in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Debenhams

Pros

The tasks are simple
    There's freedom in the workplace
    20% discount
    Friendly Staff

Cons

Pay is not much
    Bad shifts
    Boring work life
    Repetitive tasks
    Training isn't very good so you are left to figure out most thing
    Useless management
    Too much pressure to open store accounts

3. Don't do it! Been there 4 and a half years and no one enjoys working there.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor

I have been working at Debenhams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the only pro is the staff, we all have the same thing in common, we don't like our job.

Cons

everything! Too much stress on employees to get customers to open store cards, to the point were we are getting letters threatening to fire us if we don't get people to open them. How can we force people to open credit cards when they don't want to!
    Also it's very very hard to be promoted!
    They always know who the want for internal jobs but still advertise them.

Advice to Management

Stop being awful managers.

5. 2nd line Support

I have been working at Debenhams

Pros

I have improved my interpersonal skills, gaining lots of new concepts and enjoyed the team work being able to support clients and staff in different platforms.

Cons

I'm looking for stable contracts more than the short term contracts I've been getting for the last few months.

Advice to Management

Communication between all departments is vital for a good understanding of the tasks that are being developed.

6. So many problems

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at Debenhams part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount (need to be there 4 weeks to get it)
    Really nice people work there

Cons

So many.
    The work was boring, repetitive and time drags but I guess that's the same for most retail jobs.
    I was on a 16 hour contract so would do 4, 4 hour shifts a week which was pretty annoying but its a way to avoid giving breaks, I would've much rather had 3 longer shifts.
    Honestly, felt better about myself when I was claiming job seekers allowance.
    You can't have drinks on the shop floor, which is a massive issue as it can get really hot, particularly in the fitting rooms, it's such an inconvenience to have to go to the staff room to get a drink when it's busy, and as I was on 4 hour shifts I didn't get a break to get a drink then, I don't understand why having a bottle of water on the shop floor is such an issue.
    Shifts change week by week, they say they put them up a month in advance but they can change last minute so this isn't really the case and it also makes it impossible to plan anything.
    I got another job which I didn't think was unreasonable as I was only on a 16 hour contract, so I asked a supervisor if I could not work after 4pm on a Friday or Saturday (I was still able to work these days though) so I could balance the two, she told me no as they need full flexibility and can't give anyone specific shifts.. I wanted shifts so I could balance two jobs not so I could go out on the weekend! I was speaking to another girl and asked when she was working next, she said she worked every Sunday 10-5, sounds like a specific shift to me, if you're friends with management you get a different set of rules to everyone else.
    It's a minimum wage job and you get no acknowledgement when you do your job well.
    I had an interview when my last shift was supposed to be, so I couldn't make it, my supervisor then told me that they would say in a reference I have poor time keeping, which isn't true as I was early to every shift, and I was given a time for the interview I didn't choose it!
    The attitude of some of the management stinks, and I was debating quitting before I even had another job to fall back on.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like people, not an employee number

7. Too many problems

Current Employee - Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at Debenhams part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount (have to be there 4 weeks to get it though)
    Nice people work there
    Some supervisors can be helpful, but they are in a minority.

Cons

So many things.
    The work is boring and time drags, but I guess that's the same with most retail jobs.
    I was on a 16 hour contract, so worked 4, 4 hour shifts a week which is pretty annoying but its a way to avoid giving you breaks.
    You can't have water on the shop floor which is a massive issue as it can get really hot particularly in the fitting rooms, its such an inconvenience to have to go to the staff room to get a drink when it's busy, I don't understand why having a bottle of water on the shop floor is such an issue.
    Shifts change week by week, they say they put them up a month in advance but they can change last minute so this isn't really true it also makes it almost impossible to plan anything.
    I got another job, I don't think this is unreasonable as I was only on 16 hours, so I asked a supervisor if I could not work after 4pm on a Friday or Saturday ( I was still willing to work these days at different times) so I could balance the two, she told me no as they don't give specific shifts to anyone... not being funny but I was trying to balance another job not go out every weekend! What made it worse was I was chatting to another girl about when she was working and she told me she is down to work every Sunday between 9-5, that sounds like a specific shift to me, so if you're friends with management you get a separate set of rules.
    Its a minimum wage job and you get no acknowledgement if you do your job well which is extremely demotivating.
    I had an interview on what was meant to be my last shift, so I told my supervisor I couldn't make it, she then told me if I was to get a reference from them she would have to tell them about my poor time keeping (I didn't choose the time of the interview, it was given to me) I was early to every single shift so I do not have time keeping.
    I would never recommend this company to anyone, and have even stopped shopping there because their treatment to staff is so poor.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like people not an employee number
    Allow drinks on the shop floor, felt like I was going to pass out one shift because of this rule.

8. Just for Christmas

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant

I worked at Debenhams

Pros

Good opportunities for training, close-knit teams, regular shifts, staff are given a decent amount of responsibility and not always watched like a hawk or dictated to.

Cons

Competition between departments makes it hard to ask for help outside of your assigned department; If you work for the morning team, the evening team can completely undo/redo your day's work and vice-versa (for example, displays).

Advice to Management

More communication between staff needed, especially those working different shifts to each other on what's been done during the day. Less competition and antagonism between departments should be a goal always - Account sales especially; childrenswear for example cannot be expected to sell many accounts. Actually, scrap accounts entirely. They're misleading, and you're literally making your staff complicit in families' debt and financial problems.

9. Sales advisor

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Carmarthen, Wales
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Carmarthen, Wales

I have been working at Debenhams

Pros

Being part of the team is good.

Cons

Managers don't have a clue.
    Feels like managers are in one group and workers another. There's no team just them and us basically.
    Low contracts so people can't live off them but they don't like you having another job.
    No rewards.
    Everything is debenhams card this, debenhams card that.
    No future prospects.
    Manager will leave shop floor to go for meals together even when they later have their lunch brakes so have 2+ hour breaks a day.
    Minimum wage.
    Store is so fake they have competitions called modal store where they compete against eachother but when higher managers come to view stuff just gets shoved out the way so they don't see including fire escapes, disabled dressing rooms and where ever else they want.

Advice to Management

Basically start treating staff better or soon you will have such a bad name nobody will want to work for the company.

10. Good place to start a career in fashion.

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in London, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in London, England

I worked at Debenhams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training opportunities, effective IT systems, ability to move across divisions to build a range of experience, lots of product interaction, new office, great people and social work environment, perks such as staff discount and sample sales.

Cons

Slow to be promoted and decent salary increases only given to those who threaten to leave or are hired externally.

Advice to Management

Place more value on current employees, by being fairer with compensation and incentives.

11. Poor management

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Debenhams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A company with such a great USP with a stable of designers exclusive to them. Handful of management who aren't playing political games. Store culture is strong and family like.

Cons

Lack of progression, being instructed by people who have no real clue as to what they're doing, and rely on people below them to carry the stores.

Advice to Management

Nurture the talent and make them feel appreciated, do not use them to progress your own career at the expense of theirs.

Debenhams Photos