Deloitte

Deloitte Reviews in Houston, TX US

Updated Jul 09, 2014

Deloitte CEO Joe Echevarria

Joe Echevarria

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance(in 423 reviews)

• Great place to start off your career to learn a lot of skills(in 143 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance(in 1082 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate(in 218 reviews)

78 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Manager

Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat training ground for post college and MBA professionals
    Wide variety of project experiences and client interaction
    Excellent career opportunities frequently arise, internally and externally

ConsWork/Life balance hard to maintain - though the company will make special arrangements when needed based on situations in your life - these come with no repercussions either
    Limited control on the types of clients you work with (initially) - eventually you can steer things in the directions you want, but have to earn that privilege

Travel makes your life dead.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosgood exposure.Lots of learning opportunities.your career is well defined(If career is the only thing in your life)

ConsWork-life balance. is zero.
    long hours.the culture is such that,you are expected to be in office until 8-9 pm.
    lots of Eminence/internal initiatives on top of 80+ hrs of work

Advice to Senior Managementneed to have people which shows results and not just do talking.

work

Tax Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat environment to lean to account for every 1/6 of an hour of your time.

ConsHaving to account for every 1/6 of an hour of your time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Learning Experience and Benefits

Tax Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat Learning Experience and Benefits. Learning curve is higher than any other place.

ConsSalaries are generally higher in industry than in public accounting.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide retention bonuses

Great place to work with intelligent people.

Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsHigh volume, big name clients, intelligent peers, major resources to boost career, prestigious on resume, new hire experience was painless

ConsBarriers to promotion, leadership favoritism, very long travel (years in some cases), rapid adjustments to market (layoffs, periods of under-utilization)

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace the talent and work ethic of every employee, not only those that come from a wealthy family with large network reach. Keep winning projects, even when there are big wins ongoing.

Great Career Growth Learning and Opportunities

Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsCounseling Methodology. Performance base reviews. Have the ability to choose the work-life balance you want most of the time.

ConsExperience with Deloitte is based on the client you are with. Clients can impact your happiness rating with your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure leadership continues to train consistent and effective leadership with an aggressive growth strategy.

Interesting opportunities to build your resume, but time machismo is an issue

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Pros* Consistently named as a best place to launch your career (Newsweek)
    * Unique benefits like a fitness subsidy
    * Great colleagues
    * Brand recognition
    * Great training opportunities

ConsTime machismo is an issue. Although we win awards for work/life balance programs, these programs are rarely implemented as intended. An example is Mass Career Customization, which was discontinued due to it not working well. Employees found that managers could not always deliver on the desired work profile (from home, ramped up to rev up promotion horizon, ramped down to meet family needs, etc.) due to client needs not meshing with employee desires.

It was a great learning experience.

Advisory Intern (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat to have on your resume

ConsBurn out after a short time

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Associate Auditor

Audit Assistant (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsConstantly being challenged, Great office space, very interesting and close knit peer group. the career progression is very transparant.

ConsToo much politics. Upper management are to consume with meeting revenue targets and obtaining new clients rather than motivating fellow staff member. This contributes to very high turnover. Pay is mediocre.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people

Great environment to learn a lot and work with major clients; work like a slave, get paid like a slave

Tax Senior (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosexposure to major clients and working with major corporations; plenty of learning and continuing education options; younger coworkers

Conswork like a slave, get paid like a slave, hard work not recognized

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!