Delta Air Lines

Updated 16 November 2014
3.9

Delta Air Lines CEO and Director Richard H. Anderson
Richard H. Anderson

Pros
  • The pros of working here are the "perks" the major one being the flight benefits (in 154 reviews)

• Travel benefits are amazing, you can travel the world if you take advantage (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance in Finance can be a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• Flight benefits are moot when there are no seats on over-utilized aircraft (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

241 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, great culture, mediocre job satisfaction

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful work environment - everyone is willing to help. Work can be cyclical but work-life balance is generally great. Travel and benefits are fantastic and perfect for those with a bit of a risk tolerance.

Cons

Because employees remain with the company for so long promotions are hard to come by. Senior leadership advocates for an open-door policy but their actions do not reflect their speech.

Invest in the younger employees - especially if you want them to remain with the company.

flight attendant

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility, travel benefits, good insurance and 401K benefits. opportunity to fly international if desired. Professional working environment. Easy jump seat policy to travel when commuting.

Cons

You can't make plans that you can count on during the month due to being on reserve when you start working. It takes a while for pay to be high enough to lie comfortably.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Ramp Agent - Ready Reserve in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent - Ready Reserve in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Delta Air Lines part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really great Flight benefits. Once in a life time!

Cons

1300 hour maximum per year for ready reserve agents.

Get rid of hourly yearly hour limit.

Best internship/co-op opportunity by far for a college student

Former Employee - TechOps Co-op in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - TechOps Co-op in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Delta Air Lines as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Having an internship or co-op here while going to college is so ideal because there will never be a time when you have the time, energy, and lack of responsibilities that allows you to take advantage of the flight benefits you get with this company. You are able to use your flight benefits during your school semesters too, which is not offered by all airlines.

Cons

Depending on your department, it is not common for co-ops and interns to get hired back for a full time position. The majority of students I know that have worked for Delta work for a different company upon graduation.

Co-op

Current Employee - Co-Op in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Co-Op in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Delta Air Lines as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Able to work with high level management. Treated like an employee so you do the same work they do. The flights benefits are excellent. Co-workers are friendly and willing to help

Cons

Compensation but the flight benefits replaces that. Airline industry is so busy that most of the time there is no assistance. Co-op program needs to be more interactive.

Best experience with worst management of my life.

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best American carrier for quite some time now. Lots of schedule flexibility. You don't have to live I base if you plan waaaaaay ahead, but it's possible. Free flights around the world and plenty of opportunity to go places paid on Special Assignment. Best uniforms among US carriers. Practically the only way to live out your life's travel fantasies as a normal person in the United States unless you are apoplectically wealthy.

Cons

No union protection for flight attendants which allows inept, inexperienced managers of flight attendants to act reactively and often punitively without any recourse or transparent review process. Seniority means way too much, especially considering crew won't retire but rather fly until they die, often with 40+ years of service! with some crew either embarrassingly overweight, lazy, poorly groomed and damaging to the brand compared to international competitor crew. Crew regularly are turning 70 years old and continue to hog the best trips or sell them to juniors. Terrible salary for first 5 years. Backstabbing employees write you up in an attempt to get ahead with management. Scheduling makes up the rules as they go along.

Continue cutting corners, salaries and the distraction tactics and a union will be voted in. Listen to the employees. Pay them better wages and hold bullying managers accountable when multiple crew members show a pattern of being targeted. Stop thinking of flight attendants as a necessary nuisance but rather the company lifeblood. Stop interfering in democratic debates about labor, stop the anti-union propaganda bashing unions in every corporate approved handout and stop treating so called current nickel and dime raises as favors when the airline experiences record profits like it did in 2014 with laughable "raises" not even keeping up with the rate of inflation.

Don't look for this company to look out for employees

Former Employee - Reservation Agent in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Reservation Agent in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The bonuses were great at Delta ,my fiancé envied me because of those. We had a partnership with American Express that earned us prizes and money ($50) for every APPROVED Amex application we got. When you reach a certain tier you could choose from really great prizes like tvs -50 9n. flat screens(top brands, not junk), blueray players, ipods, ipads, $3000 Tiffany giftcards, Macy's giftcards, Rayban sunglasses, 5 piece luggage sets, and island vacations. I won most of the prizes mention except the vacay, ipad and TV's. The best part of the job was the free flights for employees and their families(children, mate, and parents-no siblings unles you gave the a buddypass to use)

Cons

The pay, the ridiculous methods to push Amex, hotel, and rental car transfers. At ! point, "Leads" walked through the call center yelling "Power Hour", 1 even rang a cowbell! I mean what did they want you to do, show up at a passengers door and make them apply for a credit card?Yes!, they even gave out stacks of paper applications for us to help friends and family ruin their credit. There are a lot of people with bad credit trying still trying to keep their heads above water after the recession. The call center was a zoo on the weekends, with everything from people eating meals at their desks while on calls, to even violence. I've seen it with my own eyes and taken pictures of it as well. I knew no one would believe me if I told them! The blizzard in Atlanta a few yrs ago was a nightmare. Since most people couldn't get out of there because of the roads, non-driving Atlantans and transients from other places where they weren't used to snowstorms we spent the night in the call center. No, they don't have showers, no they don't have beds,(what call center does?) YES we slept on chairs pushed together, floors, and I even saw someone on the treadmill sleeping. I was stuck there for 3 days because Atlanta didn't have snowplows or salt trucks! My son was a yr old I think and still nursing. It was rough on all of us. They got a few(yes a FEW) HOTEL ROOMS NEARBY BUT EVERYONE COULDN'T GO OF COURSE Delta's a 24 hr company. Oh and we got unlimited candybars and chips along with 2 meals a day(breakfast sandwiches from McDonald's across the street and pizza at night) I don't eat pork at all so of course I ate popcorn,and candy for those days. Oh and I did get Wafflehouse 1 day, it was across the street also.

The monitoring was and still is unbearable. I have several associates that are still there that have had to go out on "stress leave". I had surgery while working there and had to go out on FMLA for a while because I contracted an illness while healing and still had to call EVERY SINGLE DAY to make sure I didn't lose the job I needed so much. Some of those days I couldn't talk and other days I was so out of it from the meds that my fiancé would take the phone and finish the calls for me. I've been physically assaulted while working there, verbally abused and threatened by passengers on the phones and the whole time I had to try and "smile through my voice" Crazy right? the last couple of years, a lot of great people I know have been fired due to whatever Delta deems "unethical" but physical violence and sex in the building gets a pass. Look, I held all this in for a long time so sorry if I'm rambling but glassdoor asked so I gave. At 1 time they were trying to bring in a union but I guess fear of the unknown prevented enough people from agreeing to it so it didn't happen. I'm from the northern part of the U.S so I know how beneficial a union can be for employees.

Do what you want, why change that now?

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The flight benefits, while a challenge to use sometimes, are wonderful. Flexibility is the key. Overall Delta has a great culture. I've seen the company in bad time and in good time and now is a great time to work for Delta. People are friendly and the company is really investing in their employees now that financially the industry is moving forward. Delta is leading the way.

Cons

Work-life balance in Finance can be a challenge

My experience at Delta Air Lines was delightful and difficult in regards to leadership diversity.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Delta Air Lines as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work at Delta Air Lines headquarters offices is the employees. You feel like you are a part of the family.

Cons

Some of the challenges that I saw and experienced while working at Delta Air Lines headquarters were very slow to no promotion opportunities and very low pay rates for non-management employees.

Upper management should share some of the purse by increasing pay rates and make an effort to promote the minorities. In observation most regular employees are causation and part time/temporary employees are minority. What's with that?

Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are a very large global carrier, so you will have minimum connections throughout the world while traveling.

Cons

It is difficult to transition to other positions within the company. Pay structures are based on old culture that is geared towards "promotion from within", which bumps you up 10% in pay or to the minimum of the payscale for that position, whichever is greater. External hires are given higher starting pay that is more commensurate with market pay. Managers are all competing against each other for favor, so there is not a lot of real effort in collaborating. If anything, peers root for you to fail so they appear more competent. Due to extreme downsizing, managers were doing a lot more with a lot less, and post bankruptcy promises that the Leaders that stuck out the pay cuts and got the company through the hard times, would be the Leaders of the company. This didn't happen. A new CEO ushered in a new culture and the merger with NWA just brought new problems to resolve. There is no work-life balance, if you're not putting in 60 hours or more a week, you must be a slacker.