Demand Media
www.demandmedia.com Santa Monica, CA 500 to 999 Employees

Demand Media Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Shawn Colo

Pros:
  • "Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Fully stocked fridge, drinks, free lunch Fridays, flexible schedules, overall friendly atmosphere"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "The upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

From the freelancing side.

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor

ProsVery consistent with pay schedule-if something goes wrong, they do try to fix it and pay on time. Section editors are very responsive, and they are trying to ensure the articles written make sense and are things people would want to read. They try to bridge the editor-writer divide and listen to both.

ConsLike all freelancing, inconsistent levels of work; sudden changes that are not always what you thought they would be. Take a wait-and-see approach to any news they have about changes rather than assuming the changes will be wonderful. Planning long-term can be difficult. You'll see people in the forum constantly say you have to have other clients, and this is very true. Freelancing for Demand has become more like freelancing for other outlets in that the days of thousands of articles are gone.

On the way up!

I have been working at Demand Media

ProsGreat content, working with industry leaders.

ConsI would like to see more cross channel team work.

Web article content writing ups and downs.

Content Writer (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsPrompt payment, variety of assignments, work as little or as much as you need to.

Consrules constantly change, not always a lot of articles to write and new editors take awhile to break in

Advice to Senior ManagementA review of current writers in your database for other assignments, rather than requesting each person interested in new or special assignments to do an application for each position would be helpful. You would get better quality writing for these new or special assignments because these are people who already know Demand Media rules.

Software Engineer Intern, Learned a lot

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Demand Media as an intern for less than a year

ProsLearned a lot of interesting and useful stuff. Very good staff and had a mentor who taught me a lot of really valuable information. Free lunch every Friday was icing on the cake.

ConsWork got a bit boring by the end of it. There were days where I did nothing. Some nights I had to stay extra late (7pm).

A great experience!

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Demand Media as an intern for less than a year

Pros+ Wonderful people
+ Great learning experience
+ Good workflow system
+ A lot of snacks and a loaded fridge

I learned more during my internship at Demand than my current 2 years in university. My mentor was very patient, friendly, and informative, and my coworkers made it a pleasure to come into work everyday. If my schedule permitted, I would have resumed my internship.

Cons- Sometimes I didn't have a clear goal or task

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate your employees with a clear goal or vision

Don't let what freelancers say deter you

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCollaborative, exciting pace that makes work fun

ConsLong hours, changing priorities, general growing pains

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus

Demand Media was a great part-time job. The assignments were a little obscure.

Writer (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsTelecommuting, kind editors, writing, email.

ConsEditors, subject matters, writing topics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring forth assignments that are real subjects, not based on an algorithm.

Great team

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

ProsGreat management team, good culture...

ConsThe business is a bit shaky but improving

Rearranging The Deck Chairs On The Titanic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than a year

ProsFully stocked fridge, drinks, free lunch Fridays, flexible schedules, overall friendly atmosphere.

ConsThe upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees. If you're part of a recent acquisition, get ready for the company to get bored of you within twelve months, and then shut you down without warning.

The simple fact is the executive staff drinks their own kool-aid, and won't listen to feedback from the people on the ground. Get ready for the quarterly company "all-hands" meetings where they'll unveil the most recent pivot - It happens every quarter without fail. The ever changing priorities within the company makes it increasingly difficult to close new business, and maintain existing business. You, and your clients simply won't be able to keep up.

Career development is a moot-point here. After several meetings with VPs, and EVPs about career development, you'll become frustrated at the lack of anyone willing to give you a road map on how to get a raise, get promoted, get better accounts, etc.

The company promotes a lot of internal events that claim to promote "team building" such as days in the park playing games with your co-workers, Hackathons, National Sales Conferences, but, all it really does is disrupt your week.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing and pivoting every quarter and give the initiatives and acquisitions a chance to blossom. When you acquire a company, don't go changing the business model - you bought the company because you liked the way they operate. Let them operate.

Great people but management lacks vision

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Demand Media full-time for more than a year

ProsNice people, beer Fridays, updated tech, beer fridays

ConsNo room for career expansion, not innovative, little collaboration across teams

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage competition between teams and create something new.

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Demand Media reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Demand Media CEO Shawn Colo . All 101 reviews are posted anonymously by Demand Media employees.