Demand Media

www.demandmedia.com
Engaged on Glassdoor

Demand Media Not Interested in their Writers

Former Contractor - Article Writer in Palm Coast, FL (US)
    Former Contractor - Article Writer in Palm Coast, FL (US)

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

You can work from home.

Cons

Demand Media pays nothing. They expect writers to research, write and if not initially accepted, rewrite. All for the top dollar of $25 per article. Then, if not accepted, the writer gets nothing. Writers can expect to earn much lower than minimum wage for their talent.

Pay for decent talent and decent articles. You are no better than big business paying nothing for their workers.

Don't ever work for demand!

Current Contractor - Photographer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Contractor - Photographer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

the only pro is that there are a bunch of jobs...

Cons

almost all of the jobs you can't complete because it would cost more than it pays.

learn how to run a company and take advice from the people that actually do the work!

DM is struggling

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good colleagues and Good Perks. Work hours vary a lot, some weeks it can be 50 hours some weeks it can be 35 hours.

Cons

No clear company goal. They are trying to be everywhere in the content business. The senior management is disconnected from the employees. The office managers are only focussed on saving their jobs. Resulting in frequent exodus of good employees

Go back to the drawing board and figure out if the Acquisitions make sense. Grow big by going small. Understand the product lines and its relevance to the company

Tons of politics, but non managers may have a good time.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Very lax atmosphere. Incredibly flexible hours. Free snacks and drinks. Free catered lunches on Fridays.

Cons

An inordinate amount of politics to navigate. Every department treats itself like a fiefdom that must be appeased before anything can get done.

Requests for normal information or equipment can take months (or longer) to be responded to, even if it is mission critical.

Many departments and staff have a "lob it over the wall " mentality where their goal is just to pass off a problem so they don't have to deal with it with little care about whether it is resolved or not.

A huge amount of turnover in some departments (over 50%) in a short period of time.

Remove the roadblocks that prevent people from doing their jobs. Listen to the examples given of red tape and do something about it instead of just telling people to "find a way" as lately that "way" is to move on to another company.

Pretty Average

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free lunch Fridays, 401K matching, Tons of company learning sessions to see what is happening in other departments, Fully stocked kitchens, Ability to work-from-home

Cons

Like any big company it's all about who your boss is. I interviewed thinking one person would be the boss and this changed two more times before my first day. The person who ended up being my boss was someone who, had I known would be the manager, would have given me serious reservations about taking the job in the first place. Obviously this is an individual problem, not something that will happen to everyone.

Take employee concerns more seriously if you want to keep them happier

Opportunity for personal growth

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment that presented excellent opportunity for personal growth

Cons

Undergoing changes in business mode.

Company that respect people and their values

Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked as a consultant to the Finance team. I would rate it as one of the best company that i have worked for being an consultant...Manager and coworker respect each other a lot...There is a lot of work that is being done without any kind of micro management...If someone is a sincere and honest person and looking for working on a employer friendly environment, then this is one of the best place to work for in LA.

Cons

Rumors are always created that the org is going on a different way with respect to the way it is making business.

Downhill after the IPO

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

Fun and exciting team working for a common goal (IPO).

Cons

Post IPO the magic is gone

Get a growth strategy

Great Company and Team's

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging - Day-to-day you will be challenged working for or at Demand Media.
    Entrepreneurial Environment - Ability to take hold of a product, project or initiative and see it through to the end.
    Great People - Friendly co-workers who will work by you side every day.
    Culture - The culture team does an amazing job of offering many perks and benefits for its employee's

Cons

Some Upper Mgmt - A few challenging relationships to manage internally. Really depends upon the team you work for.
    Stale Product? - Worrysome if eHow/Livestrong/Cracked are what they used to be
    Pressure - A lot of pressure to produce results. I personally thrive in that type of environment, but for some it could be a bit much.

Nice people, hard business

Former Employee - Director of Editorial in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Editorial in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really like the people here. Genuinely nice folks. Very pleasant to work with. Trying to grow and change. Open to new ideas.

Cons

Saying you want to improve your business is hard when so many people are still playing like (old) business as usual. There were instances where senior execs said they wanted to change but the middle management just wanted to keep pressing forward with the same plan. That was frustrating as I was hired to help make thing better.