Department for Work And Pensions

Updated 9 September 2014
Updated 9 September 2014

Department for Work And Pensions Permanent Secretary Robert Devereux
Robert Devereux

Diverse and talked with different levels

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions

Pros

The team, the hours and especially flexi time

Cons

Dealing with Difficult and threatening customers

None

Heartache

Current Employee - Operations Support Officer in Croydon, England
    Current Employee - Operations Support Officer in Croydon, England

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Helping vulnerable customers who are in need

Cons

Wanted to return back to original site but would not accept me back due to head count

Management do not listen

Good to work with DWP, with usual challenges and very little rewards, but helping general public is main motivation.

Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Stockport, England
    Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Stockport, England

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Satisfaction of helping general public. Security of job, Flexi hours with weekly structure of hours can help me organise my personal life around it.

Cons

Very little appreciation and next to nothing financial reward for the work we carry out on daily basis. Constant changes in the way we deliver the services and operate the system. Outdated IT systems and inefficient management .Biased process of selection for any higher management posts.

Listen to real life experiences and use common sense when implementing any new policy/legislation or operating system. Always have good and working contingency plans ready before hand rather then preparing contingency plan once faced with the failure implementation, because failure of giving public service can prove very fatal to general public who are relying on our service for their daily needs.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Team Leader in Middlesbrough, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Middlesbrough, England

Pros

There are great benefits working there, decent pension scheme, annual leave allowance is excellent and flexible working hours are a god send

Cons

It's a challenging job sometimes and staff have very high expectations on them to hit benchmarks constantly as well as maintaining accuracy.

Be more visible to staff

Personal Advisor

Current Employee - Personal Adviser in London, England
    Current Employee - Personal Adviser in London, England

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Time off, HR policies, team work

Cons

Too target led, inadequate staffing at front of house level

DWP is a great organisation to work for because they help and support staff to reach their true potential.

Current Employee - Disability Employment Adviser in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Disability Employment Adviser in Brighton, England

Pros

I have worked for DWP for 33 years and I have greatly improved my Customer Service knowledge and skills. I have been given the opportunity to work on various teams and I really enjoy my current job as a Disability Employment Adviser. I was diagnosed with a LT health condition in 1990 & the DWP were very supportive and made reasonable adjustments to help me continue my employment.

Cons

The reduction in staff numbers and certain managers not recognising staff suffering from stress/anxiety/depression

Please revisit the ESA process as we feel let down by the PCA assessment (Atos Origin) and pay specially trained GPs to conduct the tests. Claimants with mental health and learning difficulties are being treated very badly at their PCA appointments as realistically they can't actively seek work without the Supported Employment Teams and they have a waiting list of over 12 months. I hope the Gov. puts more money into these teams and the local welfare advice organisations who are struggling to help claimants with their benefit claim forms....I hope that these services for vulnerable people will be improved!

Worked a long time have only got a small pension to look forward to now

Former Employee - Full Tme Administrative Public Facing in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Full Tme Administrative Public Facing in Nottingham, England

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

37hrs a week outside London. Paid holidays. Used to be helping people more than it is now.

Cons

Victim of creeping privatisation and political correctness. Fast change in practices. Over regulated. Uncertain future

Bring back the old ideal of all senior management outstationed with the public for 2 weeks a year! You did it in the 70's why not now?

A very mixed experience, but bop really not good.

Former Employee - Senior A Executive A Officer in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Senior A Executive A Officer in Sheffield, England

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

HR policies and the Departments commitment to family-friendly flexible working and the development opportunities of staff

Cons

Poor middle and senior management, lack of corporate direction, continuous change often for the worse, unaddressed bullying, racism and harassment culture

Recognise and utilise leaders and managers from within the business, understand how negative constant change is to the business, stop turning a blind eye to unacceptable management behaviour

Its a very progressive and learning environment to work in

Former Employee - Office Administrative in London, England
    Former Employee - Office Administrative in London, England

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It feel good to work for the government and the work environment is full of opportunity to learn and grow. Job satisfaction level is high with all the perks.

Cons

The only challenge which i see is sometime we get some potential violent customers which i see as a good opportunity to use the skills of customers service and handle that kind of customers

I believe we should have a dress code, which will enhance the working environment.

Working for Jobcentre Plus

Former Employee - Crisis Loan Decision Maker in Bristol, England
    Former Employee - Crisis Loan Decision Maker in Bristol, England

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We received 2 weeks of solid training which was excellent and the pay is relatively good at around £21kpa. The company values are very fixed and absolute integrity is expected. It is very easy to change working hours to suit changes in personal circumstances if you have children and term-time only or school hour contracts are quite easy to switch to. It is also one of the few places where you can still obtain a career break of several years and expect to return to a job when you are done at the same pay as when you left. 25 days holiday a year is pretty average but employees also get bank holidays and privilege days such as the Queen's birthday and Christmas Eve as additional perks. You are also fully compensated for any travel and accommodation out of normal work. It is very useful to find out about things that may affect you in your personal life such as benefit systems and this is as close to a job for life as you can get these days. If the office closes they will find you an alternative place of work and new role. Transfers are quite hard to get if your job is short-staffed but if you are an excess member of staff you can easily transfer and applying for promotion is very straightforward.

Cons

If you are used to working independently the DWP can be quite challenging. Every employee has their own small role which works as part of a larger system and you are not expected to step outside the limits of that role. Nor are you expected to know anything about any one else's role and strict procedures and rules are in place for every situation you could come across limiting autonomous working. If you like strict structure it is a very good place to work but if you want freedom to pass comment on the organisation the DWP is not the place to work. You are expected to wholeheartedly support the DWP in all they do and make no negative comments even in your personal life regarding their policies, social media is strictly controlled. Systems can be quite dated, especially ICT systems which often still work on old DOS-type screens and security is VERY strictly controlled. If you are looking for fast promotion the DWP can be a good place to work but only if you are willing to tip your hat to "the man"! It is very much an old boys club and if you don't conform to the ideas of management getting promoted is unlikely. If working face to face it can be challenging as many customers are in very stressful situations and may have already had conflicts with the Department which you represent.

Perhaps looking at methods of offering staff more autonomy in their job roles. Security of face to face staff is much improved since the change to jobcentre layouts and the places have much more relaxed atmospheres. I would recommend looking again at promotion methods and interviews to check they are unbiased and less open to abuse.

Department for Work And Pensions Photos

409 Kennington Road (Photo thanks to Geograph user Stephen Richards, Some Rights Reserved)
Department for Work and Pensions, Exeter (Photo thanks to Geograph user Derek Harper, Some Rights Reserved)
Ebury House, Dee Street, Aberdeen (Photo thanks to Geograph user Bill Harrison, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo