Deutsche Bank Reviews

3.3
1,210 Reviews

Deutsche Bank Co-Chairmen & CEO Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain
Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and a global footprint help one explore the corners of the world (in 106 reviews)

• Change is the only constant - a highly dynamic work environment (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance; morale could go down at times (in 45 reviews)

• a culture of long hours where they aren't required (in 60 reviews)

More Highlights

Appalling place to work if you're in technology

Former Employee - IT Infrastructure  in  London, England
    Former Employee - IT Infrastructure in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

some decent honest people, great place to work if you like to backstab, play the game and use a lot of jargon in your day-to-day life

Cons

Where to begin - please note this is based on working in IT Infrastructure (London office) and so may not be typical of the company as a whole, only my experience of it in this area:

- a culture of long hours where they aren't required! Sure we all have times when we have to stay late, or even want to stay to finish off that project or meet that deadline. But here people consciously stay at their desks and chat, go on facebook, make personal calls etc, until 8-9pm, then make a show of sighing and leaving, and come in the next morning (often around 10am due to their 'late night') and tell everyone how they never left until 9pm. And they actually gain promotion on the basis of this!!

- constantly driving down costs and reducing teams who do all the work, resulting in teams of 1 or 2 running entire regions, all the while keeping multiple layers of management. As an example, you can have 2 people reporting to a VP, reporting to another VP, reporting to a D, reporting to another D, reporting to an MD, reporting to another MD before you advance to any real level in the company. The amount of money being saved is completely negated by a completely unnecessary hierarchy

- completely sexist - no women advance in this area unless they 'look good'. Those who don't have to work hard but never advance

- advancement based on friendships and contacts rather than achievement and potential

- no clear focus of where they are headed - the same projects and improvements cycle every few years justifying projects and looking to change and improve standards with no real intention to do so

- offices falling apart and drive towards 'clear desk policy' whereby all staff work on a stark white open desk with no privacy walls, and have to put all desk and personal items in a locker (no pedastals allowed under desks) result in offices with all the charm and personality of a hospital

- the lowest morale of any company I have worked in (over 20 years City/finance experience)

- the new CEOs came on board with the amazing idea of reducing Infrastructure by 60%. I know they're not sexy like the traders, but they keep the rest of you running! Don't forget that!

- more of an opinion this one, but every single person I encounter where the subject of DB comes up has some sort of bad story - "I know someone who worked there who had a nervous breakdown", "aren't they a terrible company to work for", "I've heard they're bad". Now as I say, this is opinion, but I've never had this for any other place I've worked, and as mentioned above I have 20+ yrs of corporations

And this is all that immediately comes to mind. I'm sure if I had a think I could find a lot more!

This advice is to senior management - GET RID OF ALL THE LEVELS OF VPs! You're looking to cut costs, there's 90k per person right there!
    Invest in IT if you want to be a leading/cutting edge company. The company I now work for has a healthy budget, no unneccessary managers, values a meritorious culture, and is the world leader in its industry. There's food for thought!

London Office - Bad, dull, depressing working environement

Former Employee - Sales  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good management for my department and good benefits

Cons

Awful dull and boring office culture, depressing and not somewhere you want or enjoy working. Lots of bureaucracy, red tape and impossible to get anything done without going through a thousand hoops. No flexible working for contractors, which is difficult when you have children. No work/life balance.

Make contractors feel more included, give them the ability to work from home like permanent staff. Improve the atmosphere and office culture, as it's so depressing, dull and boring. It's not somewhere you want to work. Make it more fun and a place where people want to work. More fun team events. You will get so much more from your staff!!!!

Culture, politics and red step stop great people getting work done

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good, hardworking staff and a great compensation package. I had an amazing team who really worked together to try and achieve.

Cons

I was very excited when I got the job offer from DB. That excitement was very short lived. When I arrived I found that interdepartmental politics were taking the lead, and not much work getting done. This is one environment where moral is becoming low, and good staff are not able to get there jobs done.

Office culture is suffering at the hands of senior Directors and Managing Directors. There is a lot to learn in terms of leadership and how to motivate staff. Impossible to deliver projects, no outlook, no structure, no drive to get things organised. Put the breaks on and re-evaluate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical European bank - lots of bureaucracy, can be painful to get things done

Former Employee - Senior Front Office Developer  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Front Office Developer in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some reasonably strong senior developers, the banks's size means it can invest in infrastructure and areas that smaller shops can't

Cons

Plenty of mediocre people around across all levels. Lots of red tape and processes to get anything done, within Technology, the focus was on pleasing tech management rather than delivering projects for the desk.

It's understandable that technology goals might not align with short term business goals from the desk, but when this is completely skewed one way, the business relationship suffers and puts desk facing front office teams often in difficult situations.

AVP in Global Technology

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relatively stable company to work for (last major round of redundancies had happened a few years before I had joined). Good benefits (good health and pension cover). Decent bonus packages, especially if you happened to be a good performer. Good respected name to have on your CV.

Cons

Highly political. Less than ideal place to work for if one wants to learn any new skills (especially in technology, where posturing and BS in industrial scale appeared to dominate the scene). It's possible to make a long-term career out of simply existing and doing very little, losing skills over time.

Cut the BS, cut middle management, reward whoever actually does some sort of work and not the corporate actor types.

Culture

I worked at Deutsche Bank

Pros

Good all round group of people easy to get on with and a somewhat relaxed environment.

Cons

Deadlines can be pressured and long hours.

Large organisation with some excellent but also at times average employees

Current Employee - Vice President  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Vice President in London, England

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Global powerhouse that has some truly exceptional talent.
    Work-life balance will vary depending on your division/team. For front office function expect 12 hour average working days.
    Top level leadership on the whole appears to have the right intentions but success of implementation remains uncertain.
    From experience DB typically will give young talent the chance to shine.

Cons

Despite many of years of integration efforts, teams remain siloed in comparison to other banks.
    - Inter team moves can be extremely challenging (e.g. FX sales to rates trading)
    - Politics can get intense at more senior levels with disproportionate amount of time spent on internal negotiations.
    - Some very aggressive individuals on the trading floor

Away from the siloes, rest of the "cons" are unlikely different to investment banks.

This is one place were it seems employees do not get on very well

Former Employee - Associate - Technology  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Associate - Technology in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a big organisation so I would say it is good to have on your CV

Cons

Compensation not very good same story every year

Good Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good environment to work and helpful co-worker

Cons

too many re-org in last 5 year and created more confusion

Good Culture

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in London, England

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Collaborative, productive and supportive environment.

Great facilities and locations.

Good opportunities for career growth.

Cons

Unprecedented organisational change leading to relocation, redundancy and role change activity, which in turn has a negative effect on staff moral and productivity.

Rethink short-term targets, with the view to longer term gains.

Worked for Deutsche Bank? Contribute to the Community!