Deutsche Bank

3.2
1,228 Reviews

Deutsche Bank Co-Chairmen & CEO Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain
Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and a global footprint help one explore the corners of the world (in 108 reviews)

• Change is the only constant - a highly dynamic work environment (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance; morale could go down at times (in 45 reviews)

• a culture of long hours where they aren't required (in 61 reviews)

More Highlights

good stepping stone

I have been working at Deutsche Bank

Pros

people are helpful, good working environment and exposure.

Cons

limited opportunities to move into a front office role.

Review of Trading role at Deutsche Bank

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time

Pros

The work in credit trading is quite interesting. In structured products, you will face new challenges and the product offering to the client, hedging strategy will need to be customized and brainstormed time to time.
    Flow trading will require being thorough with the markets and need developing intelligent views on the market. One needs to be smart and proactive in hedging and rebalancing the book which is where you can make the difference to meet your year-end targets.

Cons

Increasing regulatory prudence, increased capital requirements, limited risk appetite which limits the opportunites for the banks.
    Hence I have a neutral outlook for future for the investment banking.

Extremely unbearable recruitment as a world known company

Former Employee - Inhouse Consulting Junior Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Inhouse Consulting Junior Consultant in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time

Pros

Nice working place in city London

Cons

This company withdrew the offer after:
    1. formal congrats email from the head
    2. asking for personal information e.g. passport, home address, sending confidential material of the company (benefits etc.)
    3. confirmation to the candidates that they can reject all other offers, and they did

Because HR asked the salary provided by another company that offered me a position, once I knew about it, I told the HR in an email. This became the reason why they decided to withdraw the offer. "Your words about salary are against our values". No official letter or explanation. HR and the business unit worked totally separately with no coherence.

From my point of view, this bank, and its in-house consulting unit, do not know about their own values and how to carry them on.

Appalling place to work if you're in technology

Former Employee - IT Infrastructure in London, England
    Former Employee - IT Infrastructure in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

some decent honest people, great place to work if you like to backstab, play the game and use a lot of jargon in your day-to-day life

Cons

Where to begin - please note this is based on working in IT Infrastructure (London office) and so may not be typical of the company as a whole, only my experience of it in this area:

- a culture of long hours where they aren't required! Sure we all have times when we have to stay late, or even want to stay to finish off that project or meet that deadline. But here people consciously stay at their desks and chat, go on facebook, make personal calls etc, until 8-9pm, then make a show of sighing and leaving, and come in the next morning (often around 10am due to their 'late night') and tell everyone how they never left until 9pm. And they actually gain promotion on the basis of this!!

- constantly driving down costs and reducing teams who do all the work, resulting in teams of 1 or 2 running entire regions, all the while keeping multiple layers of management. As an example, you can have 2 people reporting to a VP, reporting to another VP, reporting to a D, reporting to another D, reporting to an MD, reporting to another MD before you advance to any real level in the company. The amount of money being saved is completely negated by a completely unnecessary hierarchy

- completely sexist - no women advance in this area unless they 'look good'. Those who don't have to work hard but never advance

- advancement based on friendships and contacts rather than achievement and potential

- no clear focus of where they are headed - the same projects and improvements cycle every few years justifying projects and looking to change and improve standards with no real intention to do so

- offices falling apart and drive towards 'clear desk policy' whereby all staff work on a stark white open desk with no privacy walls, and have to put all desk and personal items in a locker (no pedastals allowed under desks) result in offices with all the charm and personality of a hospital

- the lowest morale of any company I have worked in (over 20 years City/finance experience)

- the new CEOs came on board with the amazing idea of reducing Infrastructure by 60%. I know they're not sexy like the traders, but they keep the rest of you running! Don't forget that!

- more of an opinion this one, but every single person I encounter where the subject of DB comes up has some sort of bad story - "I know someone who worked there who had a nervous breakdown", "aren't they a terrible company to work for", "I've heard they're bad". Now as I say, this is opinion, but I've never had this for any other place I've worked, and as mentioned above I have 20+ yrs of corporations

And this is all that immediately comes to mind. I'm sure if I had a think I could find a lot more!

This advice is to senior management - GET RID OF ALL THE LEVELS OF VPs! You're looking to cut costs, there's 90k per person right there!
    Invest in IT if you want to be a leading/cutting edge company. The company I now work for has a healthy budget, no unneccessary managers, values a meritorious culture, and is the world leader in its industry. There's food for thought!

Too much change, too little leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tier 1 Bank
    Good people
    OK Compensation

Cons

Too much change at senior management level
    Too much politics
    Promotions based on talking ability not outcomes

Poor culture

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Deutsche Bank as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They are tight with budget, behind on systems (depending on how they value the department). Transparency is low and compliance culture is poor.

Cons

Poltical and closed off. You never really know what issues are at hand until the heads start rolling.

Look after your staff.

London Office - Bad, dull, depressing working environement

Former Employee - Sales in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good management for my department and good benefits

Cons

Awful dull and boring office culture, depressing and not somewhere you want or enjoy working. Lots of bureaucracy, red tape and impossible to get anything done without going through a thousand hoops. No flexible working for contractors, which is difficult when you have children. No work/life balance.

Make contractors feel more included, give them the ability to work from home like permanent staff. Improve the atmosphere and office culture, as it's so depressing, dull and boring. It's not somewhere you want to work. Make it more fun and a place where people want to work. More fun team events. You will get so much more from your staff!!!!

Culture, politics and red step stop great people getting work done

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good, hardworking staff and a great compensation package. I had an amazing team who really worked together to try and achieve.

Cons

I was very excited when I got the job offer from DB. That excitement was very short lived. When I arrived I found that interdepartmental politics were taking the lead, and not much work getting done. This is one environment where moral is becoming low, and good staff are not able to get there jobs done.

Office culture is suffering at the hands of senior Directors and Managing Directors. There is a lot to learn in terms of leadership and how to motivate staff. Impossible to deliver projects, no outlook, no structure, no drive to get things organised. Put the breaks on and re-evaluate.

Typical European bank - lots of bureaucracy, can be painful to get things done

Former Employee - Senior Front Office Developer in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Front Office Developer in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some reasonably strong senior developers, the banks's size means it can invest in infrastructure and areas that smaller shops can't

Cons

Plenty of mediocre people around across all levels. Lots of red tape and processes to get anything done, within Technology, the focus was on pleasing tech management rather than delivering projects for the desk.

It's understandable that technology goals might not align with short term business goals from the desk, but when this is completely skewed one way, the business relationship suffers and puts desk facing front office teams often in difficult situations.

AVP in Global Technology

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in London, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively stable company to work for (last major round of redundancies had happened a few years before I had joined). Good benefits (good health and pension cover). Decent bonus packages, especially if you happened to be a good performer. Good respected name to have on your CV.

Cons

Highly political. Less than ideal place to work for if one wants to learn any new skills (especially in technology, where posturing and BS in industrial scale appeared to dominate the scene). It's possible to make a long-term career out of simply existing and doing very little, losing skills over time.

Cut the BS, cut middle management, reward whoever actually does some sort of work and not the corporate actor types.