Deutsche Bank Reviews

Updated 25 April 2015
1478 reviews filtered by

1. Professional, focused culture

I worked at Deutsche Bank

Pros

Smart colleagues and challenging work

Cons

Long hours and lots of internal politics

2. Progressively worse and diving faster than a box turtle

Current Employee - Vice President - Technology
    Current Employee - Vice President - Technology

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits good but have not increased with inflation or local market.
    There are some great developers here.
    The building is nice enough even if the facilities are basic.

Cons

I am a relative ole-timer having been here for nearly three years. In that time I have seen the center lose all the optimism and swagger from its early days and has fully transformed itself into low-cost (at least in attitude and excitement), command and control led remote office. True the center is growing - but it's growing with the wrong type of work and it lacks any sense of dynamism and innovation.

Hiring is not done in a way where the long term future is consider - we have a java requirement, we hire the first java person we see with any interest in DB. Sometimes it is good to say "No" or "we are not ready" instead of saying "yes" to everything?

The senior managers are weak who see their function as relaying external orders without challenge or understanding. They get told something from above and we have to do it or our year-end check is reduced. Our job would be easier without the baton-passing. Filtering the bi-directional message flow only makes the senior managers appear "needed" when they never are.

Town halls are a complete joke and demotivating. Repeating messages like robots with nothing else to add is uninspiring and the tone is patronizing. Surely you know all of the juicy gossip is circulated in the hallways long before it has made its way to center leadership

It was not always like this. Yes we had growing pains and lots of tears - yet we had belief and FUN. It is sad to see and be part of this sinking ship after so much effort.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be middle-men and yes-men, even if this means it is uncomfortable for you - be "leaders" not "(micro)managers". Servant leadership is too far out of your league so let us not pretend to go there.
    Stop accepting cast-offs from Deutsche Bank and SAS.
    To external management - Hire real technology leaders from silicon valley who are respected and who can breath new life into the building.

Impersonal & short-sighted team

Former Contractor - Human Resources Solutions in London, England
    Former Contractor - Human Resources Solutions in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A big corporate brand, something that others will recognise on your CV. Central London offices.

Cons

Where to start: on day one, expect to feel like you are part of a herd. You are assigned your building, and when you arrive at your desk, despite them knowing of your arrival for weeks, there is nothing prepared for you - access, logins etc. You rely on the people around you to understand what you're even trying to do - you feel like a hindrance more than a help. You don't have the requisite knowledge but are expected to deal with difficult requests from early on.

As a contractor, you do not expect to have the same onboarding as a permanent employee, but nevertheless you expect some degree of genuine human interaction and preparedness.

The worst part of DB is it's people. Morale is low and it's clear that an appalling state of middle management (with a lack of people skills altogether) has driven team spirit even lower. Managers manage by putting out fires. Managers don't turn up to performance reviews or show up for calls when they say they will.

Employees don't know if they're performing well or poorly, and the ones who have been there for years are there for performing averagely and because they can't find work elsewhere.

It's the large organisation at it's worst. It's exactly what you've been told large organisations look and feel like.

There was not one point where an overarching strategy was communicated to me. It never became apparent what the goal of the function, nor the immediate team was, the focus was only on the immediate-term. You have target SLA's, but you won't be told them.

During my time I saw my manager twice in person and spoke with them only when something was going wrong. Outsourcing to Birmingham makes you feel like even less of a team. There was not one quality conversation going on inside the immediate team.

So if you enjoy an impersonal, short-sighted & shallow management team, mixed in with mediocre workmates who have been doing the same thing for years - and a dash of mundane and routine work, this is the perfect part of DB for you!

Advice to Management

Be more brave with people decisions. Too many people who have been there for years, harnessed into becoming a DB robot. Sort the wheat from the chaff. Have genuine human interaction with your employees and don't deal with mediocrity.

5. Rigid but paying well.

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paying well but not that well

Cons

Inflexible culture and poor on staff motivation

Advice to Management

None

6. Extremely young work force, Extreamly high turnover. No management ability what so ever

I have been working at Deutsche Bank

Pros

Great way of getting your foot into the door before moving to a actual company

Cons

have to give up your life to succeed

Advice to Management

Learn some management

7. Great long term company choice for women relative to other investment banks

Former Contractor - Analyst in London, England
    Former Contractor - Analyst in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits.
    Incredibly woman friendly (so progressive for an investment bank)
    Fair wages

Cons

Too much bureaucracy.
    Hours were too long.
    Feel like a number.

8. Great working experience, great career starter

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic opportunity for people looking for a first job or an entry level job
    Brand New multi-million pound HQ in Birmingham
    Great work-life balance
    Small and efficient teams
    Great training programs

Cons

Lack of transparency with senior management
    Personal growth within the bank is extremely difficult and borderline unfair
    Cliquey working environment

Advice to Management

Embrace the workforce more, do not treat them like they are there solely for the benefit of the firm. Work hand in hand with achieving goals

9. Great company to work for

I have been working at Deutsche Bank

Pros

Fair, great benefits and good balance between american and european culture

Cons

None that i can think of

Advice to Management

None

10. Low salary and a nasty culture

Former Employee - MI Analyst in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - MI Analyst in Birmingham, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits... and committees which do fun activities.

Cons

Process work. Senior managers dk not understand their jobs. Cannot support teams. Hr a joke.

Advice to Management

Pay more. More organised roles and train or fire senior staff

11. Risk IT - Utter incompetence

Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in London, England

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deutsche Bank is a well known company and is good to have on your CV - a decent springboard
    Banking benefits are good
    A few talented people - reducing by the day
    Lots of calls from recruitment consultants.

Cons

Risk IT is like an unfunny game of musical chairs where only the most incompetent win.
    Long-term vision of cost reduction through mass-firings instead of innovation.
    Promotions are handed out through nepotism and sticking around over intelligence and delivery.
    Redundancies managed in a Blackadder-esque way where you are "invited to a meeting in Appold Street"
    Fractured, temporary strategy. Delivery at the end of year never matches the intent at the start.
    Department head has zero respect - deservingly so.
    The "leadership" team openly insult each other and switch allegiance with every power shift.
    Technology archaic and driven with 1990's insight.
    Batch processes and RDBMS are the order of the day with vision dating back to the leaderships hay-day of VB and Java 1.3.
    Building monolithic platforms to land-grab power is key to success.
    You cannot challenge decisions made by department head - even when they are usually wrong or out of date.
    A department head who cannot remember my name even when I have spoken to him several times.
    Lots of calls from recruitment consultants.

Advice to Management

Fresh-blood across the board.
    There are far better people to lead than the team you have in place.
    Question what you have actually got for the amount you have spent over the past five years
    Find people who understand technology not powerpoint theorists.
    Try your best to remember the names of your staff - or provide badges like McDonalds.