Deutsche Bank

3.2
1,296 Reviews

Deutsche Bank Co-Chairmen & CEO Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain
Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and a global footprint help one explore the corners of the world (in 109 reviews)

• Change is the only constant - a highly dynamic work environment (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance; morale could go down at times (in 47 reviews)

• a culture of long hours where they aren't required (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people

Former Employee - Vice President - Technology in London, England
    Former Employee - Vice President - Technology in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High capable individuals to work with. Professional get the job done attitude

Cons

Org structure is changing all the time.

Change management can be better

It was great experience

I worked at Deutsche Bank

Pros

it is a global and diverse place to work in.

Cons

No cons, maybe there should be more taking in the percentage of the recruitment

Good work environment with energetic and professional colleagues

Former Employee - Financial Services in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Financial Services in Birmingham, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent fellow staff; very well positioned site in the centre of Birmingham; good social life associated with work and the site managers made an effort to maintain the energy levels of the staff

Cons

Treated too much like an external service provider to London by some of the senior managers in the bank, and not like part of the same company. Too many senior managers in DB looking to blame others for major projects not being delivered rather than look for solutions.

None for Birmingham Management; but London Managers could learn to work more collaboratively with the very talented staff they have in Birmingham.

Not a bad place to work - has its ups and downs

Current Employee - IT Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work ethic/culture here.

Cons

Been lots of org changes, but I think the worst is over. 2014+ looks bright.

None

good stepping stone

I have been working at Deutsche Bank

Pros

people are helpful, good working environment and exposure.

Cons

limited opportunities to move into a front office role.

Review of Trading role at Deutsche Bank

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time

Pros

The work in credit trading is quite interesting. In structured products, you will face new challenges and the product offering to the client, hedging strategy will need to be customized and brainstormed time to time.
    Flow trading will require being thorough with the markets and need developing intelligent views on the market. One needs to be smart and proactive in hedging and rebalancing the book which is where you can make the difference to meet your year-end targets.

Cons

Increasing regulatory prudence, increased capital requirements, limited risk appetite which limits the opportunites for the banks.
    Hence I have a neutral outlook for future for the investment banking.

Extremely unbearable recruitment as a world known company

Former Employee - Inhouse Consulting Junior Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Inhouse Consulting Junior Consultant in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time

Pros

Nice working place in city London

Cons

This company withdrew the offer after:
    1. formal congrats email from the head
    2. asking for personal information e.g. passport, home address, sending confidential material of the company (benefits etc.)
    3. confirmation to the candidates that they can reject all other offers, and they did

Because HR asked the salary provided by another company that offered me a position, once I knew about it, I told the HR in an email. This became the reason why they decided to withdraw the offer. "Your words about salary are against our values". No official letter or explanation. HR and the business unit worked totally separately with no coherence.

From my point of view, this bank, and its in-house consulting unit, do not know about their own values and how to carry them on.

Great

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits in kind and salaries

Cons

Long Hours and tense working environment

A more meritocratic structure

Appalling place to work if you're in technology

Former Employee - IT Infrastructure in London, England
    Former Employee - IT Infrastructure in London, England

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

some decent honest people, great place to work if you like to backstab, play the game and use a lot of jargon in your day-to-day life

Cons

Where to begin - please note this is based on working in IT Infrastructure (London office) and so may not be typical of the company as a whole, only my experience of it in this area:

- a culture of long hours where they aren't required! Sure we all have times when we have to stay late, or even want to stay to finish off that project or meet that deadline. But here people consciously stay at their desks and chat, go on facebook, make personal calls etc, until 8-9pm, then make a show of sighing and leaving, and come in the next morning (often around 10am due to their 'late night') and tell everyone how they never left until 9pm. And they actually gain promotion on the basis of this!!

- constantly driving down costs and reducing teams who do all the work, resulting in teams of 1 or 2 running entire regions, all the while keeping multiple layers of management. As an example, you can have 2 people reporting to a VP, reporting to another VP, reporting to a D, reporting to another D, reporting to an MD, reporting to another MD before you advance to any real level in the company. The amount of money being saved is completely negated by a completely unnecessary hierarchy

- completely sexist - no women advance in this area unless they 'look good'. Those who don't have to work hard but never advance

- advancement based on friendships and contacts rather than achievement and potential

- no clear focus of where they are headed - the same projects and improvements cycle every few years justifying projects and looking to change and improve standards with no real intention to do so

- offices falling apart and drive towards 'clear desk policy' whereby all staff work on a stark white open desk with no privacy walls, and have to put all desk and personal items in a locker (no pedastals allowed under desks) result in offices with all the charm and personality of a hospital

- the lowest morale of any company I have worked in (over 20 years City/finance experience)

- the new CEOs came on board with the amazing idea of reducing Infrastructure by 60%. I know they're not sexy like the traders, but they keep the rest of you running! Don't forget that!

- more of an opinion this one, but every single person I encounter where the subject of DB comes up has some sort of bad story - "I know someone who worked there who had a nervous breakdown", "aren't they a terrible company to work for", "I've heard they're bad". Now as I say, this is opinion, but I've never had this for any other place I've worked, and as mentioned above I have 20+ yrs of corporations

And this is all that immediately comes to mind. I'm sure if I had a think I could find a lot more!

This advice is to senior management - GET RID OF ALL THE LEVELS OF VPs! You're looking to cut costs, there's 90k per person right there!
    Invest in IT if you want to be a leading/cutting edge company. The company I now work for has a healthy budget, no unneccessary managers, values a meritorious culture, and is the world leader in its industry. There's food for thought!

Too much change, too little leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tier 1 Bank
    Good people
    OK Compensation

Cons

Too much change at senior management level
    Too much politics
    Promotions based on talking ability not outcomes