Dice Reviews

Updated 6 April 2015
23 reviews filtered by
Dice President, CEO, and Director Scot W. Melland
Scot W. Melland

1. Great company to work for.

I have been working at Dice

Pros

Management is great. They promote people based on pergomamce and results.

Cons

Nothing con. They are quick to address issues and resolve conflict with ease.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. Decent Company Navigating Choppy Waters

I have been working at Dice full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Somewhat entrepreneurial, relatively customer-centric, products really deliver excellent ROI for customers, awesome marketing team, completely new leadership team

Cons

Shared services does not provide sales or customers with good service (such as billing or tech support). Job board industry is in transition, can DHI evolve and stay relevant?

Advice to Management

Keep delivering awesome results for customers. Focus more on the job seeker experience.

3. Regrettable

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Dice full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with some really great people and a known product in the market

Cons

Working with some really not so great people, new sales structure has not only negatively effected the majority of the sales teams financially but destroyed the once positive company culture.

Advice to Management

Director level management does not know market, product or how to direct a sales organization.

5. Leadership Vacuum

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Dice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. The people make the company what it is. The staff are VERY knowledgable and very friendly to work with. The personalities and the great work ethic the people bring make dice a great place to work

Cons

Complete and total vacuum in leadership. People being put in positions of great responsibility who shouldn't be running the corner gas station. Nobody has a global vision for this global company. Everyone (except a very few) in senior leadership roles can be sold anything at any time by a good salesman. Without a wholesale change in senior leadership, Dice may not be around in 5 years. Once great, now stale.

Advice to Management

Rethink Denver and Santa Clara.

6. Challenges to overcome

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbandale, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbandale, IA (US)

I worked at Dice full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dice definitely pays well and has some very good time off policies with lots of vacation time and personal days, etc. The product itself is interesting to work on.

Cons

Ever since LinkedIn became a force, Dice has been challenged and along with the 2009 recession, this has caused quite a bit of turmoil. Turnover has been rather high and many good people have either left or been removed. Several changes at the top have also created concern and overall, the future looks fairly complicated for Dice.

Advice to Management

Do what you can to retain the good people you have left.

7. Depends on the department

I have been working at Dice

Pros

There are some really sharp and professional individuals at Dice who are a joy to work with.

Cons

Dice has now grown past the small-business stage of the organizational life cycle, and beginning to see large business politics creep in to the organization environment.

Advice to Management

I am seeing many friends being hired, and departments taking on the personality and profile of the manager. This lack of diversity is already hurting productivity and decision making abilities because we are no longer hiring the best and brightest, but hiring friends with the same personality and outlook as the manager. This lack of diversity will hinder our abilities.

8. Run the other way!

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Urbandale, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Urbandale, IA (US)

I worked at Dice full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress, nice facilities, team atmosphere.

Cons

Woefully inadequate management simply didn't have a clue. "My way or the highway" approach prevented me from introducing any outside expertise. Any opinions from sales department will trump those of marketing or any other.

Advice to Management

Stop surrounding yourself with yes men. Realize that your staff in Iowa are not second-class life forms compared to the New York, Ivy League management.

9. SE

I worked at Dice

Pros

I enjoyed my journey with Dice. I have seen so many changes in less time than any other places in career. As per my thinking company had steep growth. Lot of new and recent technologies introduced. And if you want to learn new stuff, this would be one of the place to expand your ideas. Ideas and putting that in motion that's called Dice.

Cons

People in different teams need to understand one thing you, can't be along with your friends and colleagues lifetime at any place. Change always comes with change of people too. When company is expanding need to help them instead sit and whine about new management.

Advice to Management

I would like to advice new people to continue and maintain future outlook talks like you did after new management took place. I am pretty happy with that way.

Great People; Awful Culture

I worked at Dice full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Flexible hours
    Casual environment

This is neither the best company I've worked for; neither is it the worst. I chose the title for this review very deliberately. Almost to a person, the folks who work here are kind, considerate, thoughtful people. They are fun to work with. They were good people with a sense of mission, to help tech job seekers advance in their careers. They all seemed to genuinely agree with this mission, rather than simply being in it for a paycheck.

Cons

Extremely hierarchical
    No sense of strategic direction

Despite the good people, the culture as a whole is not one that will lead to success, and despite being a tech-oriented company, is not very tuned in to the ethos of Silicon Valley. It's hierarchical to the point that I was not permitted to consult with the person immediately over my boss. My co-worker was chided for making a business suggestion to the president of the company. Similarly, the company, despite being relatively small, moved glacially. The result of this is that workers can complete plans in isolation, only to have them scrapped completely when the upper levels of management see them. Workers were not empowered to execute the strategies they laid out. In addition, the company seems to jerk back and forth with various strategies/tactics, rather than having an overall strategy, and taking steps to implement it. It was like a pendulum that was constantly swinging back and forth.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to create a mission and subgoals, rather than trying various tactics to see what would stick. I would also suggest a more hierarchical organization with openness to new ideas.

11. Dice is really great

I have been working at Dice full-time

Pros

Great people and lots of interesting work.

Cons

No room for personal growth