DigitalGlobe Reviews

Updated 9 September 2014
3.2

DigitalGlobe President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr
Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Pros
  • Work/life balance was highly promoted by all levels of management (in 4 reviews)

• Cool company, high tech, smart people, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management does not rely on employee experience to accomplish tasks (in 4 reviews)

• The lack of utilization of the remainder talent identified as important to the merger was non-existent (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company and benefits

Former Employee - Director  in  Herndon, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of good satellite based work.

Cons

Not much in terms of growth.

None

Lots of potential, but the company needs to grow up

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Longmont, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Longmont, CO (US)

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Small company allows people to get to know each other, and employees at the lower levels really have each other's back. Some of the teams have employees who've been with the company almost from the beginning and are great resources about the industry, etc.

Cons

Senior leadership has had so much turnover. Seems like HR leaders don't last more than a couple of years which doesn't seem like a good indication of the long-term future for the culture of the company.

For the entrenched, long-time execs...maybe you're part of the problem?

Kool-Aid

I worked at DigitalGlobe

Pros

Talented folks, Great technology, flexible work environment

Cons

I think the last 3 reviews are inside PVV cronies that have been told to write good reviews to boost that place up on this website. Since I've left and gone to work at another company I've had numerous DG folks hitting me up to see if there were opportunities. People want out of there! I left a while ago but seems like the atmosphere hasn't changed much.

Don't really have advice to them since things won't ever change as long as they keep getting robotic career executives that tout a company line script. Any advice to give would be invest in your people (the workers) not the shareholders. If you build a strong engaged workforce then success will flow down to the shareholder. BTW- the stock is tanking as I write this.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company with great potential but they're not there yet

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time for less than a year

Pros

Progressive company in terms of a good benefits package, competitive salary, flex time, and even free bagels and cream cheese one morning a week. They were also nice people.

Cons

DG was in the process of integrating two newly acquired companies during the time I worked there. This caused some understandable delays in getting on line time sheets function, and some lag in the ability to sign up for benefits.
    The company's core competence in imagery does not easily extend to other areas of analysis. They are trying to grow despite this. One way to compensate was to do whatever the customer wanted uncritically. One had the feel of being "hired help" rather than being a respected consultant.
    Because the leadership is intelligent and committed the company will likely get past these growing pains.

It's refreshing and unusual to find a company that believes that the "customer is always right". Many companies have become so large through mergers that they dominate the marketplace and take their customers for granted. The downside is that they fail to engage their customers when they make bad policy judgements. The company will probably develop more confidence as it integrates the new acquisitions and the firm matures.

A sleeping giant...

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- High integrity, smart/good people in senior management focused on the bigger picture.
    - Good work/life balance.
    - Industry leader with a lot of potential to position themselves well for the changes/demand ahead.

Cons

- While the newer members of the senior management team are intelligent and have high integrity, there are a lot of middle managers (especially people there longer than 5 years) who fear change and are highly risk averse, which is a major impediment to the needed meaningful change.

- Very good people work at DigitalGlobe, but often they're insulated from the "real world" and too soft from government (or quasi government) business handed to them in what is a quickly vanishing monopoly.

- Lack of focus. The government business is critical of course, but it can be frustrating to be constantly relegated in the commercial segment (the only area of true growth potential).

- Marketing and product are very weak and have a long way to go. The capabilities are there, but that alone doesn't compensate.

Be bold. Take some risks. Let the commercial business stand on it's own to the extent that it can so it doesn't languish as is has. Build a real marketing strategy with real product development, not big happy thoughts that don't get executed. Hire subject matter experts in the verticals you wish to pursue in the information services space. Don't wait for the new entrants to each your lunch.

Interesting job scope

I have been working at DigitalGlobe

Pros

Get to interact with customers from all over the world

Cons

Company is always pressured to meet quarter financial goals

Values driven company with a strong sense of purpose

Current Employee - Operations  in  Longmont, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Operations in Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Company has a strong set of Purpose, Vision, and Values and makes sure that Employees are aware of the positive impact the imagery and services we provide help people to save lives and make the world a better place.

Cons

Very fast pace. The Company has gone through a lot of change in the last year, but is making an effort to address cultural issues that impact employees.

Continue investments in developing employees and in providing career opportunities and stretch assignments for high performers. Keep focused on the top priorities and getting flawless on execution of those strategies. React quickly to changing market conditions.

Challenging and dynamic work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Longmont, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Interesting, smart, hardworking people; good pay/benefits; challenging and dynamic work

Cons

Management sometimes sends mixed messages; lots of longtime employees, so you have to work hard to move up

Lots of change so make sure you are okay with that!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growth, new products and services, benefits, smart people, CEO lives the purpose vision and values.

Cons

Can get tiring at times, too much to do at times as well.

Build something well or fix it once with an eye to the future. Build consistent, repeatable systems.

Interesting work

I worked at DigitalGlobe

Pros

Some very intelligent people that were committed to doing quality work. I learned a lot from working at DG - lots of great people doing very cool things.

Cons

The culture was very uncertain. People always seem worried as to how long they will have their job. I know many people that are still there that are looking for other jobs.

DigitalGlobe Photos

Friendly Competition! Volunteering for a Better World
DG Cares - Herndon; ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, 8/2014
Our Purpose, Vision and Vales; it guides everthing we do.
DG Cares Longmont: Freezing for a Reason! Participating in the SOCO Polar Plunge, 2/8/2014

+ Add Photo

Worked for DigitalGlobe? Contribute to the Community!