Dillard's

2.4
1,248 Reviews

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II
Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the pay is good the holiday hours or regular not crazy (in 63 reviews)

• the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 155 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't meet sales goals you can be terminated regardless of slow business (in 157 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 83 reviews)

More Highlights

ASM

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER

I worked at Dillard's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You become family with the other managers, but you fight like family too. Pay is decent, if you work at a high volume store you make bonuses and do well.

Cons

Be prepared to work lots of hours. If your store is expecting a visit, be prepared for the scramble of your life to get everything perfect....or at least you think it is until they come and act superior and never give real praise.

Stay calm! Holiday time is stressful for anyone in retail...you will make it just work hard and earn your keep!

This was overall a good job if you don't mind working nights and weekends. The pay is great!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Smith, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Smith, AR (US)

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

The pay isn't bad, I started out at 11.50 and ended at 12.60 after a little over a year. If you make your sales goals then you get a raise.

Cons

Management can be pretty ridiculous. My manager was basically a child, choosing favorites to run errands for her and let the rules slide for.

Clinique Consultant

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

Gratis, work-life balance, friendly competition

Cons

No sick leave, feuds between different levels of management resulting in conflicting direction given

Great company

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

Good hours
    Friendly management
    Great opportunities

Cons

SPH on hourly employees
    Turn over cause of hours for hourly staff
    Hourly associates not motivated to sell to focused on making a SPH quota.

Let's work and fix the SPH system and motivate the employees to provide more exceptional service to our customers and not focus so much on SPH quota.

It's cool

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

Discount, weekly pay, and Co workers

Cons

It's rough work and it's rerail

Not really

Part Time

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

Good starting pay, cool department manager

Cons

Pay cut if you don't meet your quota, customers get sassy often, difficulty in scheduling hours that work with school schedule

Challenging

Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Arlington, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Arlington, TX (US)

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

Good coworkers, team feeling, finally trying to compete against other department stores with today's customer and technology

Cons

Dated systems, company is run on way too small a scale, opposed to change or new ways of thinking - like fighting an uphill battle.

If you are motivated by selling and helping customers find what they want and need, it is a perfect place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at Dillard's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a higher pay scale than any other retail store in our city. You have a good employee discount on purchases throughout the store and perks for getting credit apps. I think much of it depends on the individual asm and store manager. I just know I was very happy there and would go back, if I needed a job.

Cons

Sometimes the competition between sales associates can be fierce. We are a team, but our individual sales are our own. It is difficult at times to maintain a good relationship with everyone when you are all competing for sales. There is no real security in your job because you are only valuable if your sales are good at that time. If your sales drop significantly, so will your value.

Treat your employees more like you would your own family members. I saw many injustices done to various employees when working there. It is supposed to be a family oriented business, so treat the employees the same way.

It had its ups and downs...

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

I love the industry and what I came in to retail to do, being a buyer. I didn't even mind having a hand in advertising, merchandising, planning, and everything else. The pay is decent compared to some other companies in the area. I also had one of the best bosses ever.

Cons

But I also had some of the worst bosses ever there...more bad than good. Too much micromanaging and playing favorites. And the workload is high and constantly getting higher with no extra compensation. Plus the office has no windows. Grey walls and no windows, talk about depressing. Turnover is pretty high, average is about 1-2 quitting per month and they don't care to do anything to stop it.

Care about your employees, all of them, not just the ones that suck up and stroke your ego, but the ones who work very hard to meet the ridiculous goals.