Discovery Communications

Updated 13 October 2014
3.6

Discovery Communications President and CEO David M. Zaslav
David M. Zaslav

Pros
  • I was given so many great opportunities - from growing in my career to having a great work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Large company with great benefits, including telework options (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work/life balance where any addition employee perk could not even been enjoyed (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management that does not listen to the feedback of its middle management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

good company offering training opportunities

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in London, England
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in London, England

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

regular hours, training, additional leave

Cons

size of company can hinder progress

more personal interaction

The worst experience in my career

Current Employee - Accountant in London, England
    Current Employee - Accountant in London, England

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits- co values are great but should be applied by the management

Cons

Lack of communication, no possibility for promotion, managenent not meeting the high level expected, extremely bad structure, no motivation, low salary

Take leadership courses and build the skills required for the high level..understand e'ees needs and motivate them...

Discovery Channel is good - but stay well clear of the Education side of the business

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Discovery brand is superb and the CEO is ably growing the business. Their ability to acquire other businesses is impressive

Cons

The Education division is chaotic - communication is poor, staff are left in the dark, sales team don't have clarity over bonuses and targets, marketing is in disarray, editorial are fearful of the next wave of redundancies. Senior leadership has changed completely and is now very poor

Stop making terrible decisions and stop keeping those left in the dark. We want to help make you successful - just include us

Great place to work, with wonderful teams and generous benefits/programmes

Current Employee - Production Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Production Manager in London, England

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have wanted to work at Discovery Channel since I can remember, mainly because of the content they produce around the world. Expanding people's knowledge of so many different subjects. However when I started working here I never expected it to be such a great place to work, with benefits and programmes on going all the time. You can really feel that you are valued in what ever role you are undertaking.

They acknowledge that you are key to Discovery's Growth plan and work hard to help you achieve your personal growth and goals.

Cons

At the moment I have not come across any Cons, I would say with it being such a large Company working out a process can be a challenge. But that is part of learning about the Company

Europe Branch - excellent employer with a huge range of benefits... but very average salary.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

International company, globally respected, annual bonus, massive selection of employee benefits.

Cons

Very middle of the row salary, head count is viewed as high so no new jobs even when needed.

Review the head counts and allocate staff where needed.

I have grown & learnt a lot during my time at Discovery

Current Employee - Financial Planner & Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Financial Planner & Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for development if you ask for it, but you have to be prepared to handle it in addition to your actual role.

Cons

Not enough scope for progressing up the career ladder
    Very bureaucratic

Hire/promote people into positions they are actually capable of doing, rather than because you're friendly with them

A salutary lesson that bigger does not always mean better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The US management team was solid and they made a good show of looking after their people e.g. plenty of events in which to get involved, decent perks.

Cons

Chaotic management from the senior international leadership team. Their digital strategy, in particular, was farcical and resulted in an exodus of talent and several law suits.

Listen to the feedback from staff - and do something about it.

great brand and a great niche.

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brand and niche with a strong differentiators. The company keeps up with technology and has decent executive perks. Discovery is now investing in acquisitions and expansion internationally which will help solidify the brand internationally.

Cons

Been cost cutting for years in the USA. This often means that those that have stayed are very political and may be in roles for relationship reasons, rather than expertise. This also means that there are many competing groups within Discovery that often would rather deal with an outside company than with an internal group.

Keep growing internationally and have a single view of international rather than the competing businesses.

Creative Designer makes shiny things at Discovery Channel...

Former Employee - Creative Designer in London, England
    Former Employee - Creative Designer in London, England

I worked at Discovery Communications as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

My experience at Discovery was a timely and life-saving period of freelance work where I learnt lots about my trade and myself. The working environment is extremely civilised but fun as well, and collaborating with different members of staff on various projects really helped to make me feel like part of a team.

They also throw amazing parties.... Seriously.

I've given each field a 5-star rating, which isn't to say I think Discovery is perfect - only that "very satisfied" is an accurate description of my feelings!

Cons

As is probably the case with most companies, situations can arise where several people have conflicting opinions on creative direction, which (as we all know) can lead to a catastrophic brain-malfunction.

The chicken from the canteen is super-dry.

Value your creatives! They make you things.

Ok, it's a decent company to work for, but like any place your experience is largely dependent on the department you wor

Current Employee - Presentation Scheduler in London, England
    Current Employee - Presentation Scheduler in London, England

I have been working at Discovery Communications as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's a good well known blue chip company which is great to have on your CV. They try to make your working experience as pleasant as possible with various activities. The perks and benefits for permanent staff are good.

Cons

It's a very big company and is easy to disappear into the background. It's size also makes climbing up the coorporate ladder difficult as it's hard to be noticed. It also has a slightly impersonal feel to it.

Working in TV is supposed to be fun!

Discovery Communications Photos