Discovery Communications

Discovery Communications Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Discovery Communications President and CEO David M. Zaslav

David M. Zaslav

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance, room for growth, smart people to collaborate with"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Large company with great benefits, including telework options"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Zero work/life balance where any addition employee perk could not even been enjoyed"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Long hours, but not more so that previous places where I've worked"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work, with wonderful teams and generous benefits/programmes

Production Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for less than a year

ProsI have wanted to work at Discovery Channel since I can remember, mainly because of the content they produce around the world. Expanding people's knowledge of so many different subjects. However when I started working here I never expected it to be such a great place to work, with benefits and programmes on going all the time. You can really feel that you are valued in what ever role you are undertaking.

They acknowledge that you are key to Discovery's Growth plan and work hard to help you achieve your personal growth and goals.

ConsAt the moment I have not come across any Cons, I would say with it being such a large Company working out a process can be a challenge. But that is part of learning about the Company

Europe Branch - excellent employer with a huge range of benefits... but very average salary.

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time

ProsInternational company, globally respected, annual bonus, massive selection of employee benefits.

ConsVery middle of the row salary, head count is viewed as high so no new jobs even when needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the head counts and allocate staff where needed.

I have grown & learnt a lot during my time at Discovery

Financial Planner & Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsPlenty of opportunity for development if you ask for it, but you have to be prepared to handle it in addition to your actual role.

ConsNot enough scope for progressing up the career ladder
Very bureaucratic

Advice to Senior ManagementHire/promote people into positions they are actually capable of doing, rather than because you're friendly with them

A salutary lesson that bigger does not always mean better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time for less than a year

ProsThe US management team was solid and they made a good show of looking after their people e.g. plenty of events in which to get involved, decent perks.

ConsChaotic management from the senior international leadership team. Their digital strategy, in particular, was farcical and resulted in an exodus of talent and several law suits.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the feedback from staff - and do something about it.

great brand and a great niche.

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat brand and niche with a strong differentiators. The company keeps up with technology and has decent executive perks. Discovery is now investing in acquisitions and expansion internationally which will help solidify the brand internationally.

ConsBeen cost cutting for years in the USA. This often means that those that have stayed are very political and may be in roles for relationship reasons, rather than expertise. This also means that there are many competing groups within Discovery that often would rather deal with an outside company than with an internal group.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing internationally and have a single view of international rather than the competing businesses.

Creative Designer makes shiny things at Discovery Channel...

Creative Designer (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Discovery Communications as a contractor for more than a year

ProsMy experience at Discovery was a timely and life-saving period of freelance work where I learnt lots about my trade and myself. The working environment is extremely civilised but fun as well, and collaborating with different members of staff on various projects really helped to make me feel like part of a team.

They also throw amazing parties.... Seriously.

I've given each field a 5-star rating, which isn't to say I think Discovery is perfect - only that "very satisfied" is an accurate description of my feelings!

ConsAs is probably the case with most companies, situations can arise where several people have conflicting opinions on creative direction, which (as we all know) can lead to a catastrophic brain-malfunction.

The chicken from the canteen is super-dry.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your creatives! They make you things.

Ok, it's a decent company to work for, but like any place your experience is largely dependent on the department you wor

Presentation Scheduler (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Discovery Communications as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIt's a good well known blue chip company which is great to have on your CV. They try to make your working experience as pleasant as possible with various activities. The perks and benefits for permanent staff are good.

ConsIt's a very big company and is easy to disappear into the background. It's size also makes climbing up the coorporate ladder difficult as it's hard to be noticed. It also has a slightly impersonal feel to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking in TV is supposed to be fun!

Discovery Communications Europe

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for less than a year

ProsThey offer flexible hours to suit workload and private commitments, reasonable pay, excellent benefits, fantastic offices with a laid back culture and approach.

ConsThe office location is not central London, poor internal communication can be frustrating, as with all US led companies they tend to forget the rest of the world exists.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally need to work hard on communication and team building, not very cohesive.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Discovery Communications

ProsGreat company, good values, supportive management with best intentions

ConsCan be very political, middle management can be a bit hit and miss

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the faith but invest a little more in the business outside the domestic US.

I worked here for over 8 years and loved it

Writer/Producer (Former Employee)
Silver Spring, MD (US)

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI was given so many great opportunities - from growing in my career to having a great work/life balance. This company leads the pack. Now after working at other networks, it's amazing how technologically advanced this company is.

ConsEvery few years it seems like they layoff a great bunch of talented people

Worked for Discovery Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Discovery Communications Videos

Discovery Communications – Why Work for Us?

Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than two billion cumulative subscribers in over 220 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Discovery Communications reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Discovery Communications CEO David M. Zaslav. All 225 reviews are posted anonymously by Discovery Communications employees.