Dixons Retail

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James

Sebastian James

Head office manager

I have been working at Dixons Retail

ProsA business that encourages change and innovation. It has made an enormous amount of change in the last few years and mostly for the better.

ConsThe company has had some challenges financially and as result it has not invested in developing the colleagues and this now needs to be done as it appears to be more financially stable.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the colleagues are very important to the success of the business

Some good people, a lot of inefficiency and far too much politics

Manager (Former Employee)
Sheffield, England

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are mercurial; I worked with some of the best people I have ever met in their fields. The senior leadership team talk to the people on the front line in terms of customer experience and doing the right thing.

ConsUnfortunately, far too many are average at best, and there's a lot of incompetence and lack of accountability. Despite talking a good game, with their customer plan, the focus is consistently on reducing cost base. During times of unprecedented sales demand, costs continue to be cut driving a poor customer experience and lost revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider budgets beyond single fiscal years. You lose revenue through over promised cost base cuts, which means you cut into flesh rather than trimming fat.

Work long hours, pressure to perform

IT Support (Current Employee)

Pros10% discount at store. Can't think of anything else

ConsLong hours, no career progression prospect, continuous redundancies and managed out of business. Staff appreciated by higher management just another number. No training provided and people moved out of business due to small reasons. old building, equipment and awful IT support from India.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen you your staff and appreciate the hard work they do.

Good company to work for, trying hard to change public perceptions

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGoing through a major transformation of the whole end to end operation
Open door policy for accessing senior managers
Friendly office atmosphere

ConsPoor social scene due to location of the office (industrial estate)
Head office building is very poor (investing in stores instead which is a positive)

Advice to Senior ManagementCelebrate successes more often

Stanley's commitment made it same will be required to keep it.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpen door hiring policy. Multicultural mix of staff and management.

Consall load is shifted downwards, even when it is quite easily manageable at middle level, with minimum resource information.

Advice to Senior ManagementMust get dynamic and up to date being a tech. company in soft measure and procedures. Must keep stable outlook and presence on premises to gain customer confidence. There are other ways to make net margin without pressurized selling of insurance.

Friendly staff all around and they try their best in other areas

Technical (Current Employee)
Nottingham, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFriendly staff, can be good pay dependin on which role you take some are beter then others and a big learning curve.

ConsYou need alot of patients with customers but you can develop it on the way, listening skills and know how to de-stress but its all in the training.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax and have fun :-)

A short, but very exciting experience...

Customer Advisor (Current Employee)
Sheffield, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent training, diligent team leaders, sufficient amount of breaks and good access to windows. Great opportunities of promotion.

ConsChances of getting moved around, i.e different teams or even different floors. There are days when calls are very few and the systems tend to fail to often resulting in long holds and transfers.

Booged down in short termism and beuracratic processes, leading to constant firefighting.

Category Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome nice people, and young and fun to be with workforce. Dixons can serve as a springboard to work at on the manufacturing side, which pays a lot more.

ConsSlave wages - the staff turnover is incredible. Nobody seems very happy at all both in their role and with the culture of the company as a whole. Absolutely miles behind the competition in terms of planning and strategising in middle management. For too much heirarchy, Senior management have no idea on the amount of time it takes to get the most simple things done due to excessive beurocracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementFancy top level cosmetic changes are not the answer to all of your prayers. Look at systems and processes to make progress happen.

A very happy and satisfying experience with a good workforce

Business Advisor (Current Employee)
High Wycombe, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail

ProsManagers are very supportive, provide the right tools for the job and on the whole there is good communications between amangers and workforce.

ConsSometime the task can be more challenging and demanding that requires a quick turn roing time. Most trainingg is provided online and not enough time is given at work to do and finish off training. given

Challenging and Prospecting

Sales (Current Employee)
Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Dixons Retail

ProsOpportunity of meeting people from different culture and back grounds

ConsI did not structure observe any structured training for growth and improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonnel growth and training via motivation

Worked for Dixons Retail? Contribute to the Community!

Dixons Retail – Why Work for Us?

WHO WE ARE Dixons Retail plc is Europe's largest specialist electrical retailing and services company. Our aim is to bring the latest technology at the best prices to our customers combined with great advice and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dixons Retail reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Dixons Retail CEO Sebastian James. All 49 reviews are posted anonymously by Dixons Retail employees.