Dixons Retail

Updated 17 November 2014
2.9

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Pros
  • 10% discount on most items, and you get the odd benefit from a supplier (in 6 reviews)

• Worked with some really good people (staff), and they did pay on time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office rather dated but that is being addressed (in 4 reviews)

• Poor managers, low pay, stressful job, no motivation, most of the staff want to leave (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Satisfactory pay, easy job but poor professional development!!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in London, England

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice working environment!!! Pay structure is good, always bustling with people. For students they have very nice shift timings and they always acknowledge the hard work. Having worked in 2 different stores and under more than 5 different managers I can honestly say that the management depends on the store management. They always have nice number of holidays and mostly consider give the desired holidays to employees. Perks are good as they give 10% off to employees and mostly you can get items on cheaper price when they are discontinued. Always up to date with high- end technology!!! Enjoyed most of the time working there!!!!!!!!!!! Great experience as it was my first job in London after a long wait!!!!!!!!!

Cons

Huge challenge is sales targets. Managers keep on pushing...If you achieve your targets they push you to over- achieve it and if you don't then you will have one to one with them. Mostly managers are helpful but I have had issues related to my payment and the manager was not very helpful. Their organisational structure is designed in such a way that the lowermost employee is not able to reach the topmost boss or general manager. I had a store manager who always used to taunt me for not achieving my targets or pick up things on me- but I had no one to complain to. Moreover, they don't have proper employee development strategy. For instance, I saw some employees who were achieving their targets, were talented and had everything but were not promoted for 6 years.

Upper management can improve a lot if they want tom improve their organisational structure and strengthen their employee power. Because, employees are assets and losing assets is losing value over time. They can build up systems to recognize the talented employees in each and every store, better their pay structure and improve the interaction or communication between the lower most employees (sales person) and the top most employees (general managers) so that they can feel their importance in the organisation.

Curry's Sales colleague for just over 2 years.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brighton, England

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Other sales colleagues are friendly. 10% discount on most products. Paid few pence above min wage. Rare small bonus IF customers happen to say the right words "very happy" and "very good", not "great", "good" or "happy", on exit surveys.

Cons

Most colleagues talk about trying to leave from 3 months in, if not less.

PROFITS AND TARGETS NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE.
    - The main and only care of the company seems to be PROFIT alone, despite them stating customer service is priority.
    - Constantly being threatened and given stress over not meeting sales targets.
    - Forced into hard selling, upsetting customers, just to try to reach sales target.
    - NEVER A GOOD day, always being told to work harder on targets despite already working hardest.

ALWAYS UNDERSTAFFED
    - This causes upset customers when wait time to receive even a reserved laptop reaches an hour or so.
    - puts even more stress on sales colleagues as they have to serve already agitated customers.

NO HELP TO BECOME HAPPIER WITH JOB
    - Won't change your job role to relieve the pressure you feel under even when other suitable job roles are available in store.
    - Asked to be moved from sales floor to available positions in warehouse, where I wouldn't have to constantly be told I'm failing to meet sales targets, however they still wanted to keep me on sales floor for some unknown reason - maybe because I'm actually one of the better sellers.

REFERENCE ONLY COMES FROM HR
    - Other employers are put off by lack of personal reference.
    - Can't keep to your available hours even with a few months notice. I had regular doctors appointments for months and yet I ALWAYS had shifts clashing with those appointments despite telling then verbally and in writing telling them a month + in advance I was unavailable for those shifts.
    - This means HR have me on record as regularly late and regularly skipping these shifts, and so my reference would be bad.

LOW PAY
    - There is a pay structure which means you get pay rises IF you go on training. So management try their best to stop you having any training at all.

LACK OF HELP TO IMPROVE
    - Despite asking for help to meet the targets I was being told off for not meeting, I never was given help.
    - Even though I was always being told off for bad sales, I trained new colleagues.

ALMOST NO ONE CAN STAND TO WORK LONGER THAN 6 MONTHS
    - while I have been here the only colleagues not to move are ones who have been in the company many many years and so have VERY HIGH pay, some treble what I get for the same job.
    The others who stay 1 to 3 years are students for whom this is just a few hours a week to pay for nights out. and people like me with no previous experience so the bad HR reference left me stuck for ages.

EXTREMELY SLOW OUTDATED SYSTEM
    - Offers don't load automatically, so when there are large queues its easy to forget to check if those AAAs are on BOGOF again and then have a customer comeback very unhappy because I accidentally forgot to check in the rush.
    - When checking what offers are on the tills can literally take up to 10 minutes to load the offers and then there is such a long list it is very hard to find the right offer and there is no search system, just scroll.
    - the security detaggers are often broken meaning customers embarrassed over their paid for shopping going off at the exit.
    - the tills often freeze
    - tils often break AFTER customer has entered pin meaning we have to take out the card and start again - no receipt is given to show that no money was taken the first time

BUSINESS SYSTEM SEPARATE, ALMOST MANUAL, EXTREMELY SLOW
    - takes at least 5 minutes extra to process - and that's on a small transaction and on a fast day.
    - Have to now sign customers up for it with telephone number and email.
    - Customers very understandable don't see why it takes a ridiculously long time when pretty much every other store just does it at the click of a button.
    PRODUCT CODES MANUALLY TYPED IN FOR BUSINESS

SEXIST COMMENTS
    - I am often told I have a great bottom (using worse language).
    - Photos taken of my bottom.
    - Lewd comments common

I could list more, but I feel my list is getting too long.

Treat your employees better.

Employ more staff - it will improve customer service, which will improve sales as customers will feel more inclined to buy, also staff will feel less stressed and so again sales will be more profitable.

To Head Office - GET NEW TILL SYSTEMS.
    The majority of customers comment on how slow the tills are being and how strange this is for such a large company, especially one selling PCs.
    GET AN INTEGRATED BUSINESS SYSTEM: half the business sales I put through are the last that customer wants to bother with, because it takes so long. Even just:
     adding the ability to opt out of phone and email;
     or ability to scan in products;
     or pay on the same system would help.

Retail/Business Advisor

Current Employee - Business Advisor in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Business Advisor in Reading, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company,You get a lot of grooming plus offers from other industry.

Cons

You need to work in shifts

Cool attitude of management and i am recommending it

Tech Support Nottingham

Former Employee - Tech Advisor in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Tech Advisor in Nottingham, England

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big company, wages are generally poor so job is pretty secure

Cons

Managers are either really good and soon move on or hopelessly useless and ever present.

Value your employees; you are running a company not a detention centre

Company does not care much about its colleagues

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chester, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chester, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy enough job if you good at sales. A lot of new technologies - which is interesting to work with. You will make a lot of good friends. People work as a team and many colleagues will help you.

Cons

No support for you from managers - they just expect you to learn to swim quick if not will help you drown quicker. If you suddenly get treated unfairly at your work - best solution is to get out. Company will not provide you with any support, they would let things get worse rather than get involved and help colleagues. Realistic support exists only for managers. In sales often be prepared to sell hard. Company says this is not what they expect of you, while you manager will tell you otherwise.

Read your own companies policies you breaking all of them - favoritism at work, often no support or respect to colleges, promoting those with pushy sales, putting numbers above real customer experience.

Decent opportunities to learn. Working culture ok but not overly friendly.

Former Employee - Head Office in Hemel Hempstead, England
    Former Employee - Head Office in Hemel Hempstead, England

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time

Pros

Opportunities to learn. Fast changing business.

Cons

Work culture not overly friendly and politics can get in way of getting stuff done.

Improve working culture.

fast moving pace. always busy help customer after customer.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Watford, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Watford, East of England, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some of the exclusive products and services on the market. Multiple channels to purchase product online or in-store see website. if you have the best people that care want you to grow as individual you can do

Cons

there always challenges in any business.

room for improvement.

An experience!

Former Employee - Apple Expert in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Apple Expert in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will work with some great people and have enjoyable days at work.

Cons

Every good day has a bad day, some stores have prehistoric managers with similar management styles.

Treat staff better and they will respect you and in turn sell the things you push them to.

Never Again, Poor working conditions and pay

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Cardiff, Wales
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

if you like working for pennies you will love it....

Cons

Very Poor managers, waddle about all day, barking out demands and there next set off targets or quoting company policy. You are basically required to sell a targeted pile off products and inflated prices for minimum wage and there BIG thing useless warrenties/insurance policys, you get a nice big talk EVERY HOUR about how that is going.
    Horrible atmosphere to work in there is always some-sort off crisis every day you just cannot go in and have a normal day. I was looking for a new job in 3 months, just like everyone else, there was so many people who just left one guy at lunchtime he just did not come back. I lasted a year, my previous job I had been at for 5 years.
    , bonus scheme is misleading...and they will think off any excuse not to pay out. I think most people just shop online these days and there maybe living in the past a bit.

it is 2014 by the way

Anybody offering a new job?

Current Employee - Sales Colleague
    Current Employee - Sales Colleague

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time

Pros

If you have next to no bills to pay then the wage is ok

Cons

Where do I start:

For most people who actually do pay for things on a daily basis the wage is terrible for the amount of work put into every sale unless you're management so can get a nice bonus from it all which staff rarely see.

Training can be good if and when you might be lucky enough to do it once given 5 mins away from the shop floor to do it yet even then get asked to serve straight after.

The amazing bonus that's talked about during interviews the somehow the company seem to get out of paying.

Busiest time of the year Christmas where you work all day everyday with no breaks apart from to quickly grab a snack between customers bringing in massive amount of money to the company but seeing nothing for your hard work.

Getting expected to sell everything to every customer and even if the customer says no a million times there is obviously a way they will take it.

If you're not selling everything to every customer then apparently you're not doing your job... last I checked I could get paid more flipping burgers in McDonalds an don't see them forcing stuff at you.

The whole company I see these days as greedy money grabbing fat cats who need to learn how to treat customers and staff.

From what I've seen most new starters last about 4 maybe 5 months before seeing sense and leaving for good.

Poor management skills by all managers and like to pass the buck with any complaints.

I could go on but I don't think there would be enough space to type it all

Sort it out now before you don't have a company to manage!