Dixons Retail

Dixons Retail Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James

Sebastian James

Pros
  • You get a 10% discount on products and 20% on staff promotions at Xmas(in 5 reviews)

• strong leadership, good people, good career opportunities(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office rather dated but that is being addressed(in 4 reviews)

• Poor managers, low pay, stressful job, no motivation, most of the staff want to leave(in 3 reviews)

An experience!

Apple Expert (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland

ProsYou will work with some great people and have enjoyable days at work.

ConsEvery good day has a bad day, some stores have prehistoric managers with similar management styles.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff better and they will respect you and in turn sell the things you push them to.

Anybody offering a new job?

Sales Colleague (Current Employee)

ProsIf you have next to no bills to pay then the wage is ok

ConsWhere do I start:

For most people who actually do pay for things on a daily basis the wage is terrible for the amount of work put into every sale unless you're management so can get a nice bonus from it all which staff rarely see.

Training can be good if and when you might be lucky enough to do it once given 5 mins away from the shop floor to do it yet even then get asked to serve straight after.

The amazing bonus that's talked about during interviews the somehow the company seem to get out of paying.

Busiest time of the year Christmas where you work all day everyday with no breaks apart from to quickly grab a snack between customers bringing in massive amount of money to the company but seeing nothing for your hard work.

Getting expected to sell everything to every customer and even if the customer says no a million times there is obviously a way they will take it.

If you're not selling everything to every customer then apparently you're not doing your job... last I checked I could get paid more flipping burgers in McDonalds an don't see them forcing stuff at you.

The whole company I see these days as greedy money grabbing fat cats who need to learn how to treat customers and staff.

From what I've seen most new starters last about 4 maybe 5 months before seeing sense and leaving for good.

Poor management skills by all managers and like to pass the buck with any complaints.

I could go on but I don't think there would be enough space to type it all

Advice to Senior ManagementSort it out now before you don't have a company to manage!

Once a giant slowly withering

Sales Colleague (Former Employee) Birmingham, England

ProsWorked with some really good people (staff), and they did pay on time....10% discount on most items, and you get the odd benefit from a supplier. Would suit a 18 year old the job is quite easy to get, learn a few sales skills (not from the trainers, other sales guys), and use it on your CV and move on.

ConsOld fashioned mentality, some management think it is still 1998. Company speak, Micro Management, I had about 20 Managers in 3 years... Very poor pay and as many targets as you cant handle, I lost count off there SQ targets, (basically add ons like there what ever happens (insurance they never stop talking about it), HDMI cables for like £80 mental.
    ....poor product training, there only interested in the add ons and not the actual products. Very High staff turnover, after 6 months I was getting shadowed by NEW starts. Basically you are a number....and there expecting you to leave they have a poor attitude to workers

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need your employees to actually want to be there, you have talked about improving things for the workforce for years now and never done anything

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful company to work for

Sales Colleague (Current Employee)

ProsYou get a 10% discount on products and 20% on staff promotions at Xmas. You learn about cool and exciting technology. In a sales or customer service role you can develop your confidence and social skills.

ConsUnrealistic expectations from customers whilst managers rarely (if ever) give you time to train.

Use of part time contracts as little as 8 hours for employees that work 30+ hours, meaning they miss out on proper holiday pay.

Staff leave all the time.
    Stores regularly understaffed.
    Shift patterns are not set in stone (or anywhere near it) so can change in a whim.
    Management poor at organising shifts.
    IT systems are ancient and ridiculously slow.
    Top managers earning good money eventually are made redundant to cut costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive staff time to train on a regular basis. Actually do something as opposed to being seen to be doing something. Be positive when motivating staff. Offer full time contracts for full time workers.

Extremely poor with no integrity!

Knowhow/Sales/B2B (Former Employee) Yeovil, England

ProsIf you really push your managers and willing to do training in tour own time, you may get an ok wage.

ConsTo start, the company are certainly not out to give the best experience to the customer, they are there to take as much money and dodge as many complaints as they can. I have worked in all store roles except for management and can tell you it is the same in each role. If you're sales, you only have one goal, sell them everything! If you don't, you will get penalised. If you do, well, you will get nothing.....no incentive to to really put that effort in to each sale. (Of course, the manager can get a nice bonus from it).if you are business orientated, the same applies. If you are knowhow, Tell everyone their machine has to go away for repair (their careplan has a lot of clauses you do not realise!).

Every company is out to make money, but should do it with dignity and integrity. Not lile a sleazy dodgy dealer from the west end.

The management will NOT deal with a tough situation, they will always refer them to knowhow OR good ol customer service! (These guys get paid to take as little responsibility as possible)

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some responsibility, show more respect for the colleagues who are earning your bonuses and doing the dirty work and do what's right for the customer!
    A dixons quote is 'to never leave the customer to fend for themselves'....it would be nice to see that

Overall a good company to work for.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sheffield, England

ProsWages and benefits good/excellent once you get to mid level.
    Plenty of learning opportunities.

ConsLow level employees undervalued and uniformly strictly monitored.
    Politics and poor numbers behind many decisions throughout.
    Archaic IT infrastructure, some the backbone is still AS400.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck numbers at every level, failings are being covered up and without good numbers you can't make the best decisions.

Good for learning but management is appalling

Consultant (Current Employee) Hemel Hempstead, England

ProsThere is a good scope of learning, co-workers are nice in general. You will learn across the business and different verticals (if working on head office).

ConsSenior management is appalling. They treat employees as liabilities! Following merger with Carphone Warehouse, they have made hundreds of people redundant (and hiring contractors instead to show a head-count reduction in accounts – to please city investors). In stores, staff turnover rate is very high (because they are paid minimum wage). The people who worked 15-20 years in head office were let go in favour of replacing them by fresh graduates in Czech Republic.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect rather than continuously trying appease city investors!

Largest electrical company in Europe

Business Sales Advisor (Former Employee) London, England

ProsVarious product training available within the company, Huge pool of knowledge for consumer products and electronic gadgets. Great for someone who loves to tinker with products and latest gadgets, as many manufactures gives you live demo

ConsCould do better on wages, sales incentive and bonus structure is not very lucrative. Management can be more people friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should take the feedback from colleagues and forward it to policy makers.

Great place to work!

Sales Colleague (Current Employee)

Pros- Very friendly working environment
    - Great pay
    - Company values expertise and provides training to achieve that
    - Never a same day
    - Very efficient and user friendly system
    - Absolutly fantastic store layouts and attention to detail is great so stores never look sloppy
    - Care plans are great value for money setting the trend away from shady insurance

Note

- Sales driven, but isn't all jobs?

Cons- Minor customer dodging by certain employees to avoid bad figures
    - Managers tend to avoid difficult/ uhdesireable jobs and refer you to other managers
    - Selling and pleasing customers isn't enough unless you can get the extras

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job! Great company, definetly doesn't deserve the flak the company gets about customer service

Sales are important, a good sale even without care plans is still good. Taking a look at firms such as John Lewis really point out the way forwards.

A creative and fun place to work and learn

Sales Colleague (Former Employee) London, England

Pros-work environment
    -Company software (Eclipse) very user friendly
    -Good pay

Cons-Sales figures are very important

Advice to Senior Management-reduce the online training

Worked for Dixons Retail? Contribute to the Community!