Dixons Retail Reviews

Updated 15 October 2014
3.1

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Pros
  • 10% discount on most items, and you get the odd benefit from a supplier (in 5 reviews)

• Worked with some really good people (staff), and they did pay on time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office rather dated but that is being addressed (in 4 reviews)

• Needs to recognise the hard work of the workforce (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Satisfactory pay, easy job but poor professional development!!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in London, England

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice working environment!!! Pay structure is good, always bustling with people. For students they have very nice shift timings and they always acknowledge the hard work. Having worked in 2 different stores and under more than 5 different managers I can honestly say that the management depends on the store management. They always have nice number of holidays and mostly consider give the desired holidays to employees. Perks are good as they give 10% off to employees and mostly you can get items on cheaper price when they are discontinued. Always up to date with high- end technology!!! Enjoyed most of the time working there!!!!!!!!!!! Great experience as it was my first job in London after a long wait!!!!!!!!!

Cons

Huge challenge is sales targets. Managers keep on pushing...If you achieve your targets they push you to over- achieve it and if you don't then you will have one to one with them. Mostly managers are helpful but I have had issues related to my payment and the manager was not very helpful. Their organisational structure is designed in such a way that the lowermost employee is not able to reach the topmost boss or general manager. I had a store manager who always used to taunt me for not achieving my targets or pick up things on me- but I had no one to complain to. Moreover, they don't have proper employee development strategy. For instance, I saw some employees who were achieving their targets, were talented and had everything but were not promoted for 6 years.

Upper management can improve a lot if they want tom improve their organisational structure and strengthen their employee power. Because, employees are assets and losing assets is losing value over time. They can build up systems to recognize the talented employees in each and every store, better their pay structure and improve the interaction or communication between the lower most employees (sales person) and the top most employees (general managers) so that they can feel their importance in the organisation.

Retail/Business Advisor

Current Employee - Business Advisor in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Business Advisor in Reading, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company,You get a lot of grooming plus offers from other industry.

Cons

You need to work in shifts

Cool attitude of management and i am recommending it

Tech Support Nottingham

Former Employee - Tech Advisor in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Tech Advisor in Nottingham, England

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big company, wages are generally poor so job is pretty secure

Cons

Managers are either really good and soon move on or hopelessly useless and ever present.

Value your employees; you are running a company not a detention centre

Decent opportunities to learn. Working culture ok but not overly friendly.

Former Employee - Head Office in Hemel Hempstead, England
    Former Employee - Head Office in Hemel Hempstead, England

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time

Pros

Opportunities to learn. Fast changing business.

Cons

Work culture not overly friendly and politics can get in way of getting stuff done.

Improve working culture.

fast moving pace. always busy help customer after customer.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Watford, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Watford, East of England, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some of the exclusive products and services on the market. Multiple channels to purchase product online or in-store see website. if you have the best people that care want you to grow as individual you can do

Cons

there always challenges in any business.

room for improvement.

An experience!

Former Employee - Apple Expert in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Apple Expert in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will work with some great people and have enjoyable days at work.

Cons

Every good day has a bad day, some stores have prehistoric managers with similar management styles.

Treat staff better and they will respect you and in turn sell the things you push them to.

Never Again, Poor working conditions and pay

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Cardiff, Wales
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

if you like working for pennies you will love it....

Cons

Very Poor managers, waddle about all day, barking out demands and there next set off targets or quoting company policy. You are basically required to sell a targeted pile off products and inflated prices for minimum wage and there BIG thing useless warrenties/insurance policys, you get a nice big talk EVERY HOUR about how that is going.
    Horrible atmosphere to work in there is always some-sort off crisis every day you just cannot go in and have a normal day. I was looking for a new job in 3 months, just like everyone else, there was so many people who just left one guy at lunchtime he just did not come back. I lasted a year, my previous job I had been at for 5 years.
    , bonus scheme is misleading...and they will think off any excuse not to pay out. I think most people just shop online these days and there maybe living in the past a bit.

it is 2014 by the way

Anybody offering a new job?

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time

Pros

If you have next to no bills to pay then the wage is ok

Cons

Where do I start:

For most people who actually do pay for things on a daily basis the wage is terrible for the amount of work put into every sale unless you're management so can get a nice bonus from it all which staff rarely see.

Training can be good if and when you might be lucky enough to do it once given 5 mins away from the shop floor to do it yet even then get asked to serve straight after.

The amazing bonus that's talked about during interviews the somehow the company seem to get out of paying.

Busiest time of the year Christmas where you work all day everyday with no breaks apart from to quickly grab a snack between customers bringing in massive amount of money to the company but seeing nothing for your hard work.

Getting expected to sell everything to every customer and even if the customer says no a million times there is obviously a way they will take it.

If you're not selling everything to every customer then apparently you're not doing your job... last I checked I could get paid more flipping burgers in McDonalds an don't see them forcing stuff at you.

The whole company I see these days as greedy money grabbing fat cats who need to learn how to treat customers and staff.

From what I've seen most new starters last about 4 maybe 5 months before seeing sense and leaving for good.

Poor management skills by all managers and like to pass the buck with any complaints.

I could go on but I don't think there would be enough space to type it all

Sort it out now before you don't have a company to manage!

Once a giant slowly withering

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Birmingham, England

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some really good people (staff), and they did pay on time....10% discount on most items, and you get the odd benefit from a supplier. Would suit a 18 year old the job is quite easy to get, learn a few sales skills (not from the trainers, other sales guys), and use it on your CV and move on.

Cons

Old fashioned mentality, some management think it is still 1998. Company speak, Micro Management, I had about 20 Managers in 3 years... Very poor pay and as many targets as you cant handle, I lost count off there SQ targets, (basically add ons like there what ever happens (insurance they never stop talking about it), HDMI cables for like £80 mental.
    ....poor product training, there only interested in the add ons and not the actual products. Very High staff turnover, after 6 months I was getting shadowed by NEW starts. Basically you are a number....and there expecting you to leave they have a poor attitude to workers

You need your employees to actually want to be there, you have talked about improving things for the workforce for years now and never done anything

Awful company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Colleague

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a 10% discount on products and 20% on staff promotions at Xmas. You learn about cool and exciting technology. In a sales or customer service role you can develop your confidence and social skills.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from customers whilst managers rarely (if ever) give you time to train.

Use of part time contracts as little as 8 hours for employees that work 30+ hours, meaning they miss out on proper holiday pay.

Staff leave all the time.
    Stores regularly understaffed.
    Shift patterns are not set in stone (or anywhere near it) so can change in a whim.
    Management poor at organising shifts.
    IT systems are ancient and ridiculously slow.
    Top managers earning good money eventually are made redundant to cut costs.

Give staff time to train on a regular basis. Actually do something as opposed to being seen to be doing something. Be positive when motivating staff. Offer full time contracts for full time workers.