Dixons Retail Reviews

Updated 29 September 2014
2.9

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Pros
  • You get a 10% discount on products and 20% on staff promotions at Xmas (in 5 reviews)

• Worked with some really good people (staff), and they did pay on time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office rather dated but that is being addressed (in 4 reviews)

• Needs to recognise the hard work of the workforce (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work environment. Tough and loads of change during downturn, out the other side now!

Current Employee - Social Media Role  in  Hemel Hempstead, England
    Current Employee - Social Media Role in Hemel Hempstead, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I like that this company is based out of London (albeit in Hemel Hempstead!). A real positive that this company is changing, and fast, all for the better. And now that we are 'back' after some difficult times, great to be the retailer that gets the exclusives and the product launches, so good fun if you like technology. Great new stores coming through and nice to work for senior management that genuinely care about a) customers and b) bringing colleagues from across the business closer together

Cons

Hemel Hempstead is great geographically but not chock full of entertainment in itself. Head office rather dated but that is being addressed

Great people

Current Employee - Technical Support Advisers  in  Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Technical Support Advisers in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is an amazing place to work, full of colleagues you can learn from. Good people, a mixture of long term service and new bodies, therefore there a good mixture of competencies and skills you could take advantage of for your own development. Recognition for achievements. Professionals working together to develop great colleagues.

Cons

Better benefits would make a great deal of difference.

Most interesting work experience of my life so far!

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist  in  Hemel Hempstead, England
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Hemel Hempstead, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Being part of a business that is totally Customer centric.
    Made immense changes to become stable in the Retail landscape.
    Great people to work with in a fast paced but friendly culture.
    Really passionate about what we do.

Cons

Location could be better and more up to date.
    Not much recent training and development available but this is changing now.

Keep sharing the plans you have for your colleagues and the business like you have been over the last 3 years.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent job if you can sell and enjoy tech

Former Employee - Customer Adviser  in  Stevenage, England
    Former Employee - Customer Adviser in Stevenage, England

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time for more than a year

Pros

Being around technology everyday
    Flexible shifts, usually long which is good if you have to travel
    Can be a friendly work environment

Cons

Targets are demanding and can be difficult to achieve
    Customers can be difficult
    Internal systems could be more efficient
    Training could be better

Listen to shop floor staff more

Poor, Low Pay, Obscene Targets, Constant berating on lack of Whatever Happens Careplan sales.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Canterbury, England
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Canterbury, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time for less than a year

Pros

The company does have for the most part a solid business idea, with training you can improve your positions in store too.

Cons

If you have any sort of morals then you will clash with the management in every store you work in. You are heavily targeted on your careplan sales which in short are pretty obscene in cost. The management have no empathy for their staff concerns or needs. Breaks seem to be a luxury and you have to be prepared to leave lunch half eaten and probably not finish it either.

Pay the staff more, don't bully them, don't push them into selling Careplans or services to customers who clearly don't need them and in turn you won't have your current predicament of mis selling cases and having to dedicate a call center just to deal with complaints. "First month free" was in no means meant to be offered at our company training, yet in store management completely ignores this and forces staff to sell in this way still.

Run of the Mill

Former Employee - Logistics  in  Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Logistics in Sheffield, England

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get paid on time.
    Nice people to work with.
    Since its an electronic retailer, an employee gets plenty of discounts on the in house products and have good local discounts.

Cons

Retail Dead End jobs. No real room for good promotions. Uninteresting management, the middle management seems stuck up and not flexible.

They only look at processes and not the employee, in another words working there would just be like you're another employee number. Machines will start automating soon enough.

Don't treat employees like numbers.

Hard work but rewards good performers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hemel Hempstead, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hemel Hempstead, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Expect to put in the time and the effort but rewarded for the same

Cons

Business is always changing something

Keep it up

Loads of tech

Current Employee - Sales Colleague  in  Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Sales Colleague in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Dixons Retail as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Fast paced interesting good atmosphere

Cons

Low pay and non existant bonus

0.1% is nothig to motivate anybody, 1% is not enough to make you want to missell

Be as creative as you can

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been working for PC World for almost 2 years now, and reading the reviews on here, you are all right, what it comes down to is the individual store and the management team within to how you would consider the job satisfaction.
    But if you just take what the company wants to promote from managers to colleagues then all its about is having the correct behaviours!
    However Dixons Retail has changed a massive amount over the last few years namely because of Sebastian James, the current CEO of Dixons Retail, if you look at the company 10 years ago you can tell it was all about hard selling! Making sure we sold the customers the most expensive products we could! You can see this because when you work in a store half the team have been there for that long!
    And as this was a very pressured environment and I mean very pressured, This has made it hard for people to adapt to the new management style Dixons have adopted.
    For instance, when I was a sales colleague I had two managers one who had been within the company for a long time, and one that hadn’t after sales one would say, What did you get on that sale? The other would say, what was your customers name? This as you can see is behavioural management over hard selling management.
    Now does Dixons want to rid the company of these hard selling managers that encourage colleagues to sell more? No, well that’s my opinion.
    If you are a sales colleague on the computing section, this is what the company wants you to sell with as many sales as you can:
    Computer = What Ever Happens (insurance) MacAfee Live safe and CLOUD, Mobile broadband, set up (recovery media, Personalise (create Email address etc..) Showhow (30 minute tutorial)
    So that’s 7 attachments, costing a minimum of £129 I mean if you’re buying a cheap £300 machine be prepared to spend another third! And £10 a month on insurance so you pay us another third a year! Gees.
    So although the target for these attachments is not 100% it still leaves Dixons in a place where these hard selling managers will thrive, to exceed the targets.
    Another reason you can be sure that Dixons don’t want to ditch old school managers is that there hasn’t been an assistant trainee management scheme in 4 or 5 years! Yes a cash rich company opening expanding and creating stores, a company moving forward with values and beliefs haven’t enrolled a new generation of manegent team at all!
    I mean then they expect not to be in watchdog for miss-selling! Are you kidding! Colleagues are honestly told to tell their customers,
    “We offer a great service called What Ever Happens, it means if anything goes wrong with your computer INCLUDING accidental damage then we will fix it for you if we can’t do that then we will replace it after 7 days.”
    To which the customer will more than likely say no. In which case we will say, “It might be a good idea to take it for the first month, which I can give you for free, to get you through any teething issues with the machine, then I can also give you a £10 discount on your machine, and if you don’t want to keep it I can give you a freephone number to cancel your agreement, and you’ve saved £10 to make a free phone call.
    Hmm... isn’t how the corporate side want us to sell it, however there not doing much to change that, if they were to introduce new generation of managent maybe this wouldn’t happen anymore.
    It’s all about the Customer plan, Head office get us to sell the attachments by saying, you need to get the customer story, ask lifestyle questions to find out how our services will be useful to them, so when you bring this up at the end the customer almost feels stupid saying no to an insurance because they dropped their last one, or because they had a virus and don’t want to buy our half price internet security!
    However there are pros, if you embrace what head office say to you personally then you wont get penalised for it, I’m personally very target driven and was great with sales, but I’m all about the customer, and I will only and always do what is right for the customer, I started the company 2 years ago as a college dropout (long story) from there I have progressed on to be a team leader, im now 18k which is higher than normal for a team leader in Dixons, and I know I will be able to get on the next intake of our assistant manager program.
    This company will walk over you, but only if you let them if you want to progress within this company you will need to have some sort of savvy of when to go the extra mile for the company and work both of you days of for free, and when they start to use you for long hours and this becomes expected and you gain nothing from it. You know what I mean...
    Working here for me has had it’s ups and downs, and you meet a great variety of people and are able to communicate on different levels.
    As long as this company keeps going in the same new directions, and over the next few years does more to break old habits, it really will be, “An exciting place to be”

Cons

Old managers make it a bad place to work.

Get in a new generating of management, instead of getting new colleagues who do breed the right behaviors to do that job as customer champion

Big box retail is a tough sector since Amazon changed the game

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Hemel Hempstead, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Hemel Hempstead, England

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Heritage of the brand
    Some great senior people
    Rapidly changing industry
    Household name
    Technology sector is cutting edge

Cons

Public perception is that Dixons still make 40% margin on high tech, so the brand isn't loved.
    Everything is about operations or product pricing. Limited opportunity to build rapport with suppliers and/or an engaging customer experience.

Keep going with the transformation. Work on brand image and ensuring there are good career opportunities for the workforce.

Worked for Dixons Retail? Contribute to the Community!