Dollar Tree

Updated Apr 08, 2014

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser

Bob Sasser

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

This was an overall good experience.

Cashier and Stock (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for less than a year

ProsI was able to gain experience as a cashier, so counting money and interacting with people. These are two good skills that many will need moving forward in their careers (especially people skills).

ConsThe store management lacked accountability from within which led to internal issues. Pay (minimum wage) does not match the work we had to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract more with the employees and store management to be more on one accord with the stores needs.

People First, Growth, Opportunity!

Regional Training Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDebt free Fortune 500 company with 5000 locations. Opportunity for advancement is great. I have never worked for a company with so many internal promotions. When other companies are cutting payroll, closing locations or just going out of business, DT is growing like crazy.

ConsStore Manager position is very hands on.

Former Asst/Freight Mgr

Assistant/Freight Management (Former Employee)
Lake Jackson, TX (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat team and Great Mgr only few bad apples

ConsLow pay for any position as much money as this company makes We felt like we were working in a sweat shop Always micro manage you get one thing done and its change it, Get freight to floor but no hours and with 2 people at any given time yea no not happening and full recovery with 2 people at closing and u have 30 min And never the proper equipment to do anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees when we talk to you and tell you whats going on,If it were not for your employess You would not be in business treat us as you would want to be treated.When we call you with a problem donot brush us off,And if you say you are going to do something set an example and do it quit with excuses. You donot want them from us.

Great introductory place of employment for teens/young adults. They pay doesn't start that great, but the experience is.

Cashier (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time for less than a year

ProsGood hours, pleasant atmosphere. A nice entry into the world of employment. Nice opportunity to get some experience under their belt. At least you won't be walking around without any funds. Stores are usually within waling distance to most city dwellers.

ConsRelatively low pay. some stores have crappy management (mines didn't). Not much to complain about however, unless you want a solid full time job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

I love the store, but they expect a cashier to do a lot for 7.35 an hour!

Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLove to work with customers!
I like the store

ConsLow hours (applied for full time and only working 15 hours a week!)
Bad managers! They are so rude w/customers! And even worse withemployees!
Really bad management!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure u get better Managers, because they're not nice. Well at least in houston! Re-train them...

Headache

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEasy advance into management from associate position.
ok benefits (For management).

ConsFrom an Assistant Manager's point of view. Bad pay(You're expected to do as much work as a store manager, but get paid close to a cashier...), Impossible to achieve monthly bonus, ridiculous if not unrealistic expectations from upper management. Just overall too much work, headache and demands for the bad pay they give you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and pay them what they deserve , after all they do all the physical/crucial work to keep your corporation functioning.

it was okay for a job at the moment

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 3 years

Prosit was a job and i like some of the people

Consother managers didnt do there jobs and the pay sucked

Advice to Senior Managementhave more people want to work and get along with each other in the work place

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar Tree reviews and ratings in Houston, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dollar Tree CEO Bob Sasser. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Dollar Tree employees.