Dollar Tree

Updated 16 December 2014
2.7

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • 5 hour shifts make it easy to work around for part time job (in 14 reviews)

• As a part time employee there is a great deal of flexibility for scheduling (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • over worked so under payed (close to minimum wage if you don't speak up) (in 50 reviews)

• absolutely no training budget for new assistant managers (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Maanger

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

Pay is good. Bonus opportunity. 15 percent discount on stock purchases. Always busy. Chance to show merchandising skills.

Cons

Hours
    You work all the time. You have a ton of employees that work less than 15 hours a week so they are never available when you need them.

More full time positions. Salary assistant managers so they can work more as needed. Each store needs 3.

ok

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

greeting customers , helping with her needs

Cons

regulations , time off policies,

Cashier

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

Great flexibility, great jobs for students

Cons

Short shifts and low wages makes it hard to make a living for yourself while working there, no particular job description

Great Experience , Poor Management.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kent, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kent, WA (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starter job and thats it.

Cons

Hours are crappy for associates and asst managers. I worked at dollar tree for a year, for the first 7 months I worked as a cashier, frozen food captin and clipstrip captin and than I applied to be an Assistant Manager and got the position. It was all good for a while but things started to take a turn for the worst. I was told I was going to be full time but was only working part time hours, the pay was okay but it wasn't much of an increase from an associate. My store manager was not the best after a while always complaining about things that was her responsibility. It's not hard to move up in this store and there is a really high turn over as well. Also some of the newer asst were qualified for things that i wasn't and i had been there longer and in the asst manager position longer.

Change your attitude and give a fair pay to everyone who deserves it.

Amazing but.. dirty

Current Employee - Stocker/Truck Unloader in Siloam Springs, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Stocker/Truck Unloader in Siloam Springs, AR (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, keeps you going, great weight loss job when stocking and unloading truck.

Cons

Poor pay, poor hours, poor corporate... big corporate small care for its employees

Practice what you preach. Do the work you order your employees to do. Or at least know how to do it right.

It has been a good experience working over there.

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours & friendly environment

Cons

U have to be on your tow all the time. The store in which I am working that is very busy

Wages rate should be enhanced

Expectations high with low pay

I worked at Dollar Tree

Pros

The best thing was helping the customers. Second was the coworkers. Corporate was great to work with.

Cons

Demanding job with no recognition, low pay, and incompetent manager and incompetent district manager. As full time assistant manager there weren't enough hours in the day to get things done.

Employee appreciation and higher wages. Raises that are more than 3% ....that's an insult.

Dollar tree

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people i worked with were nice

Cons

My manager hardly in the store during normal business hours. And i had to go into work behind a lazy part time manager who had a bad attitude . The store was never clean. It has just on the bottom shelves 2 incest thick. I have only been with the company 3 months and already dissatisfied with the job.

Good experience if your just coming out of college to learn retail management.

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You could possibly bonus monthly

Cons

Not enough payroll to support the business in NYC need to increase pay & hrs for associates

I loved working for Dollar Tree. My district Manager Deana was the best person to work for and with!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Jonesville, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Jonesville, MI (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dollar Tree was amazing!! I started there as a shy timid 19 year old girl and left there a very outspoken and driven 25 year old women. I opened a store in Jonesville MI and it was the best experience of my life!! Hiring training and working side by side with my own team was amazing. I was very blessed to have selected such an amazing group of people. I learned so much with Dollar Tree from the business end of things and schematics all the way to really making your customers feel like they mattered. I will carry the things I learned within that company with me for the rest of my life. I learned how to be a bold, confident, outgoing, strong willed business woman there.

Cons

The only con is the jealousy factor that took place. Had a certain store manger not been upset that I was taking over her store after my temporary step down, I would have never left the company. I wanted to work my way as far up the chain as I could. She pretended to be fine with it and acted happy for me but was behind my back trying to get cashiers to lie about me so she could get me fired. All of our cashiers loved me so they would tell me everything. My DM was stuck between a rock and a hard place so I very sadly very graciously walked away before the name I had worked so hard to build was destroyed.

Keep your good employees and get rid of the bad. Don't be afraid of demoting someone just because you don't want to bruise there ego or hurt their feelings........after all not everyone is true tree material!!!

Dollar Tree Photos