Douglas Emmett

Updated 7 November 2014
2.8

Jordan L. Kaplan

Solid Growing company

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Stable and consistence company. You are able to learn so much and grow within the company as well as in your building with all tenants. You really become apart of the DE family. I have learned so much and grew so much in the short time that I have been working for Douglas Emmett.

Cons

Very challenging and high expectations. You must be strong to make it at Douglas Emmett. If you do your job the company will take care of you!

Constant training and coaching to all staff it makes us stronger and give opportunities to advance within the company.

unhealthy culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time

Pros

They'll hire just about anyone, regardless of what company they come from or if they have a criminal history. You can always expect to meet new people every month because the turnover is pretty high.

Cons

Ethically questionable behaviors by management and unfair treatment of low ranking employees, along with inconsistency in policies and procedures make it difficult if not impossible to work and be productive at this company. Additionally, backstabbing and gossiping are rampant. All in all, a text book example of how an organization should not operate in terms of treating employees. Pay rate is below, way below, industry's standard. Appropriate training is not provided to new employees. There is no such a thing as coaching and mentoring. No one cares about career development plans for staff. Mid level managers are incompetent and treat their staff in such a horrible condescending manner. However, from day one they constantly mention to new hires "how lucky" they must feel and "how grateful" they should be for having been hired by the company. Favoritism by managers is so obvious and sickening. If you dare to report any of mistreatment or misconduct of your manager to HR you will have to look for another job right away. Employees are not appreciated and or acknowledged for their hard work and loyalty. There are several class action law suits against the company. They offered $250 check to those who decided not to join the class action. If you want to be miserable day in and day out and be humiliated for any questions you ask then this is the right place for you!

Stop encouraging bad behavior and lead by example. If you're going to tell people to "suck it up" and learn to live frugally, you probably shouldn't roll to work every day in a high-end Mercedes.

Do not trust this company

Former Employee - Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers and.....let me think some more....

Cons

An untrustworthy management that is not in touch with reality. Pay that is worthy of the early 80's and if you have to fill out your own review to get a holiday bonus, think about that. Upper management is disconnected and middle management are yes men. No educational benefit other than TPC training. Low end, high co payment health insurance...consider Obama care before applying . I wonder why there is not a revolving door in HR as there is high turn over when people finally get what this company is all about. If you are a corporate yes man...apply here.

Pull your head out of some where and stop ruling by fear and intimidation. Stop taking kickbacks from outside contractors. Do not plead poverty while dumping money into purchase of buildings in Los Angeles and Hawaii. Class A buildings extent pass the elevator lobby

"Recent positive reviews are most likely fake, beware!"

Former Employee - Accountant in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you need a first job, you can start here and get some experience, but there is high turnover for a reason - they don't pay market rates and any position. In fact, you are grossly underpaid and what's worse is they know it too.

Cons

Pay is way under market - way way under market. It's always about the bottom line, company will not spend money to invest in aging buildings or there own office equipment. "Fear" is a tactic used in a variety of different ways to spur job performance. Definitely steer clear of this place. Best of luck to you.

none - you wont consider it anyway.

Great Company I love my job!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Room for growth, solid management and building team a lot of patience with training.

Cons

so far I have none!

Continue caring and wanting to see your staff succeed we see and appreciate it.

A safe and friendly work environment, with good benefits and lots of room for growth for committed employees.

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time

Pros

Douglas Emmett is a very fair, equal opportunity company. I feel very comfortable working here, and managers are always open to answer any questions.

Cons

Employee training can use some improvement.

my home

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom! I love the freedom I have working in DE. It makes me feel like I am working at home. It makes me wanting to go to work, I have a huge smile on Monday morning, what else can we ask for? No one tells me how to do my work, I schedule and plan my projects, as long as I meet deadlines, it is that simple. I am with DE for 14 years and plan to retire at DE.

Cons

I do not have any cons.

none

One of the most micro-managed real estate companies

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I cannot think of any.

Cons

Unhealthy culture, very outdated systems, very rigid in operating procedures, no career advancement opportunities

Please do not look down on your employees

If you hard work you will succeed for the company.

Current Employee - Cash Accountant in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cash Accountant in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice and friendly people makes the day go by faster.

Cons

Low pay and too much work is a common thing.

Really listen to your employees.

Been here too long....

Current Employee - Property Management in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Property Management in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers. Pretty Stable company.

Cons

Lack of training, obsession with leasing but won't put money into their properties, low pay, couldn't care less about their hardworking, loyal employees, very low moral, no one is happy, too old fashioned. Employees are treated as if they are disposable. Company was much better before going public.

Realize that your employees are smart, hardworking, and loyal. The company has a very high turnover and you really need to figure out why.