Douglas Emmett

Updated 21 February 2015
2.6

Jordan L. Kaplan

#mehh

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good for new graduates
    Pay ok for people with some experience

Cons

Low pay.
    Expensive insurance.
    No opportunities to grow.
    Toxic environment... People LOVE to gossip.
    Incompetent lower level managers, keep all the complaints to themselves.
    Different groups are secretly competing against and not working together.

show your appreciation to the good employees (not with a slice of brithday cake every month)

It's an ok company

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time

Pros

401k and health benefits.

Cons

No room for growth.

Pressure isn't motivation.

Worst Places to Work 2014; does that exist?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (more than a year)

Pros

More than average vacation time. Good for "first job" experience...

Cons

It's so difficult to even know where to begin. I guess I'll begin with what I believe is the common denominator to all the reasons the company sucks. People are treated like garbage. You get a ton of work, especially if you've been there longer, but guess what they still gonna pay you in peanuts. So yes, pay is incredibly low like 1980s low unless you have experience. If you have experience, pay will be more fair but I'm sure your raises will suck and so will your bonuses because this is communist North Korea...I mean a bad place to work.

Management, of course, is extremely inadequate, due to the fact that they won't spend the money to keep talented individuals. They're condescending and terrible communicators. Maybe not all of them, but I guarantee about 85% of them.

The culture is cold and unwelcoming at corporate and everybody knows it. It's like being at the principals office LOL lame. People are constantly trying to quit which builds a hectic work environment and the people that stay behind are bitter and also just waiting to get out.

This company is an embarrassing. A crap stain on my new shoes. Senior management should be ashamed.

I know you have shareholders to impress but your company was built BY GOOD PEOPLE. Don't you think you'll need to keep them to continue being a good company?

Solid Growing company

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Stable and consistence company. You are able to learn so much and grow within the company as well as in your building with all tenants. You really become apart of the DE family. I have learned so much and grew so much in the short time that I have been working for Douglas Emmett.

Cons

Very challenging and high expectations. You must be strong to make it at Douglas Emmett. If you do your job the company will take care of you!

Constant training and coaching to all staff it makes us stronger and give opportunities to advance within the company.

A great learning experience.

I have been working at Douglas Emmett

Pros

Networking; Gainful experience that you can take with you when you leave.

Cons

Inconsistency of Management; very low pay for the job that's being done.

To the owners- Learn to appreciate your employees and pay according to experience. To Management-Be more of a mentor; lead by example.

Not A Place You Should Aspire To Be

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They will hire just about anyone so if you're in a desperate time you should apply for a position with the company. Only if you're desperate.

Cons

First, I'd like to say that when I first started my job I was very grateful and excited. I felt that I'd be able to grow within the company and learn new skills. The only skill I learned was how to juggle everything corporate threw at me without screaming to the top of my lungs. All new procedures and systems were "rolled out" in the most unorganized frantic way possible. There was no training until there was so many mistakes made which made no sense to me. On top of corporate shoving things down my throat, I worked in a very hostile working environment. No one knew how to work as a team and there was a dramatic event every other day. Eventually, everyone either quit or got fired.

ALSO, THE PAY IS HORRIBLE. It's incredibly low. I didn't realize how under paid I was until I got a new job that paid me so much more with better benefits.

At the end of the day, Corporate is all about the $$$. They don't care that you're carrying everything on your shoulders to make sure you enforce their "cruel" and "unethical" rules and protocol. They look at employees as replaceable objects, hence the high amount of turn over.

If at all possible, AVOID working for this company.

Like I said before, I was happy to be there HOWEVER things become more more unbearable. For my health and state of mind I had to get out of there.

And for the record...the positive reviews of this company are probably FAKE!

Act like you care about the employees.

unhealthy culture

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time

Pros

They'll hire just about anyone, regardless of what company they come from or if they have a criminal history. You can always expect to meet new people every month because the turnover is pretty high.

Cons

Ethically questionable behaviors by management and unfair treatment of low ranking employees, along with inconsistency in policies and procedures make it difficult if not impossible to work and be productive at this company. Additionally, backstabbing and gossiping are rampant. All in all, a text book example of how an organization should not operate in terms of treating employees. Pay rate is below, way below, industry's standard. Appropriate training is not provided to new employees. There is no such a thing as coaching and mentoring. No one cares about career development plans for staff. Mid level managers are incompetent and treat their staff in such a horrible condescending manner. However, from day one they constantly mention to new hires "how lucky" they must feel and "how grateful" they should be for having been hired by the company. Favoritism by managers is so obvious and sickening. If you dare to report any of mistreatment or misconduct of your manager to HR you will have to look for another job right away. Employees are not appreciated and or acknowledged for their hard work and loyalty. There are several class action law suits against the company. They offered $250 check to those who decided not to join the class action. If you want to be miserable day in and day out and be humiliated for any questions you ask then this is the right place for you!

Stop encouraging bad behavior and lead by example. If you're going to tell people to "suck it up" and learn to live frugally, you probably shouldn't roll to work every day in a high-end Mercedes.

Do not trust this company

Former Employee - Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and.....let me think some more....

Cons

An untrustworthy management that is not in touch with reality. Pay that is worthy of the early 80's and if you have to fill out your own review to get a holiday bonus, think about that. Upper management is disconnected and middle management are yes men. No educational benefit other than TPC training. Low end, high co payment health insurance...consider Obama care before applying . I wonder why there is not a revolving door in HR as there is high turn over when people finally get what this company is all about. If you are a corporate yes man...apply here.

Pull your head out of some where and stop ruling by fear and intimidation. Stop taking kickbacks from outside contractors. Do not plead poverty while dumping money into purchase of buildings in Los Angeles and Hawaii. Class A buildings extent pass the elevator lobby

"Recent positive reviews are most likely fake, beware!"

Former Employee - Accountant in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you need a first job, you can start here and get some experience, but there is high turnover for a reason - they don't pay market rates and any position. In fact, you are grossly underpaid and what's worse is they know it too.

Cons

Pay is way under market - way way under market. It's always about the bottom line, company will not spend money to invest in aging buildings or there own office equipment. "Fear" is a tactic used in a variety of different ways to spur job performance. Definitely steer clear of this place. Best of luck to you.

none - you wont consider it anyway.