Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Updated 27 January 2015
2.8

Dr Pepper Snapple Group President and CEO Larry D. Young
Larry D. Young

Pros
  • Benefits are good they start from day 1 (in 12 reviews)

• Great Work life balance with local autonomy to control your destiny and opportunities (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is the exact inverse of what you would like to see in a company (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours (Over 60-70 hours per week on average) (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Its cool, but it takes a toll on you

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Norcross, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Norcross, GA (US)

I have been working at Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Pros

Work independently, not as much work as coke or pepsi, weekly pay

Cons

hard work, lots of stores for one merchandiser, long hours

Hire more merchandisers or pay more

Decent

I worked at Dr Pepper Snapple Group full-time

Pros

Decent work life balance depending on the group you worked in

Cons

Culture could be better in all areas...this could be a great place to work

You have such a great brand and image to the outside public...use that to promote the same culture inside the company

So Far, So Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Dr Pepper Snapple Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Autonomous working environment - If you are the kind of individual that thrives without direction and can create your own systems and tools, this is the place to be. Creativity is allowed across the scope of the job, and the team is very supportive of new ideas and innovations that are brought over from other companies.

Self Directed Career Profiling - You have the ability to create your own career path. While it won't be defined for you, developing skills outside of your core job will enable you to seek promotional opportunities outside of a traditional path.

There seems to be enough support to get your job done, but not too much to create office drama.

Cons

Innovation is sometimes strangled or thwarted due to old-school methods for getting work done.

Encourage innovation by removing barriers and rewarding ideas.

Was a great company; not so sure now

Former Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Pros

Has a solid HR team and managers who cared about their employees. Pay was very good, politics at a minimum. If you are multi-skilled, lots of opportunity to move around and create your own career path.

Cons

Most training is online, so there are few opportunities to bring together people from multiple disciplines. This keeps the organization siloed. Not a good way to create innovation, which is sorely lacking.

Listen to your people; manage from the heart, not just from the head (LSS)

A job for those who are okay with just doing a job.

Current Employee - Cage Cashier in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Cage Cashier in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at Dr Pepper Snapple Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Perfect job for those who want a solitary, silent environment. Great opportunity to make 40 friends that you see daily. (drivers) Ability to run your own show. Do what you want when you want to as long as everything gets done.

Cons

If you are younger than 40 you will be the youngest person working here. Drivers can be a bit fussy and frustrating. Management is ever changing. You will do the same thing everyday....no matter what it never changes. No real activity except pacing a small locked room. No job advancement as this job is a bit of a dead end.

Management needs to act like management. Fellow employees need to be reminded to get off their high horses at times.

Finding their Way

I worked at Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Pros

Have done a good job of consolidating various sub-standard businesses. Shown strong share performance since going public in 2008. Strong senior leadership.

Cons

That same senior leadership are all about themselves. No succession planning. No career development. Significant imbalance between senior leadership compensation and others. While the company has done well externally, they are still finding their way internally in terms of how they treat their employees. This is however typical of a publically traded company that are all about quarterly results often at the expense of their stakeholders, including their employees. They could learn a thing or two about conscious leadership.

Dr Pepper

I have been working at Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Pros

I receive my check on time.

Cons

Long hours! Very long hours!

Improve the lines of communication within the management team.

More bad than good

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Plano, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Dr Pepper Snapple Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, work life balance, and people are generally good.

Cons

If you are in marketing, your career path is very limited. The Sales function is the lead function and marketing works to support that function and does not have ultimate decision making authority. Most of the corporate strategy is wrong because of the emphasis on sales, which devalues marketing. The company commoditizes its brands.

Furthermore, a few years ago while morale was already low, management decided to reduce floating holidays and remove another paid holiday. This provided no benefit to anyone and showed how out of touch management can be. This is definitely an old boys club.

The sales force is mostly older white men. This is a sharp contrast to successful CPG companies. Diversity is definitely an issue within sales and limits its success.

The company needs to focus more on non-carbonated brands. There seems to be no strategy for growth other than hoping. No line of sight for strategic acquisitions or creating new brands in the face of emerging trends.

Women need not apply

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Camarillo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Camarillo, CA (US)

I worked at Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Pros

The personnel from the Headquarters were always very helpful, and responsive to the needs of their employees. The salaries are in line with the trends for the industry. After eleven years, I can say that I was given freedom to handle problems occurring at my particular facility on my own. I was crazy about my job. Excellent Benefits. Infrastructure, which was lacking, has been improving dramatically each year.

Cons

Although the corporate offices have clearly made an effort to include women at every level, at the distribution level the company remains anti-female At this level, as a Sales Manager I was the first and as a Branch Manager, I was the one female out of 200 locations. This may have changed in the last two years.
    In 2005 I was told by a District Sales Manager that he would never ever hire a female. " Too many problems."
    Now most men are intelligent enough to keep that thought to themselves, but that feeling remains hidden under the surface.

I was able to climb the ladder to success rapidly with good old fashioned hard work and a manager who saw only numbers.The shift happened when he was sent to work in finance. He was clearly looking at my results rather than my sex as I climbed the ladder from Relief Sales to Route Sales, To District Sales Manager to Branch Manager. He was replaced by a manager who wanted a rough and tumble all male football team. I could sense my demise on conference calls and also in the way he looked at me with disgust. I was on his team and he didn't like it. I sensed an immediate, "How'd you get here?" Attitude. As with racial injustice, no words need be spoken to feel the, "You don't belong here," eyes.

Dr. Pepper Snapple is like an engine running at half capacity without the female perspective. I showed great results, no one could deny that. Sometimes the softer side of a female, e g (I often brought homemade cookies in for sales meetings and operations crew), can produce better results and happier employees. I Received pats on the backs from my colleagues as I showed positive growth despite the trends.

The bias is so ingrained that being a female at my level was like knocking on an iron ceiling. Dr Pepper Snapple is an old school, good old boy environment, unlikely to change unless forced to.

Our team building include, race car driving, paint ball and hunting. What does this say about the company? Perhaps it's time to get off your horse, put away your gun and join this century.

Without this 50 percent of the population included in your diversity efforts, Dr. Pepper will never survive this new world where the women who do the shopping also want to be included in the boardroom.

Make a conscious effort to hire women at the distribution facilities. It will take time for acceptance as this fundamental bigotry will not cease quickly. The potential results will also take time as men have a 90 year head start.
    Women will bring passion, open communication, clear direction, often offering unassuming direction to their subordinates along with a breath of fresh air to the customers.
    Without this forced inclusion, Dr Pepper Snapple will not remain competitive. This change will need to be to forced on the Regional VP's and Branch Managers or it will be ignored. I can promise you this.
    If all Regional VP's or Branch Managers were placed in a room and asked to answer honestly, "Should women be included in sales and distribution?" Along with a promise of no harm to their careers despite their answers, you would find that no women would ever be permitted in this Business.
    Gather results from companies that have set up long-term unyielding policies which includes women at all levels and note the resulting growth in sales. Perhaps these facts will help Dr Pepper Snapple to promote this 21st century idea on a 20th century mentality.
    Career opportunities for men are unlimited,. Hard work and results will get a man to the top. For women I would have selected one star or less. Take a look at your sales staff at the branches and lets see that less than 1% move to 50%.

Dr Pepper Snapple Group Photos