Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Add Review

Dr Pepper Snapple Group Reviews

Updated 15 April 2015
233 reviews filtered by

1. A job for those who are okay with just doing a job.

Current Employee - Cage Cashier in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Cage Cashier in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at Dr Pepper Snapple Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Perfect job for those who want a solitary, silent environment. Great opportunity to make 40 friends that you see daily. (drivers) Ability to run your own show. Do what you want when you want to as long as everything gets done.

Cons

If you are younger than 40 you will be the youngest person working here. Drivers can be a bit fussy and frustrating. Management is ever changing. You will do the same thing everyday....no matter what it never changes. No real activity except pacing a small locked room. No job advancement as this job is a bit of a dead end.

Advice to Management

Management needs to act like management. Fellow employees need to be reminded to get off their high horses at times.

2. Was a great company; not so sure now

Former Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Pros

Has a solid HR team and managers who cared about their employees. Pay was very good, politics at a minimum. If you are multi-skilled, lots of opportunity to move around and create your own career path.

Cons

Most training is online, so there are few opportunities to bring together people from multiple disciplines. This keeps the organization siloed. Not a good way to create innovation, which is sorely lacking.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people; manage from the heart, not just from the head (LSS)

Women need not apply

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Camarillo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Camarillo, CA (US)

I worked at Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Pros

The personnel from the Headquarters were always very helpful, and responsive to the needs of their employees. The salaries are in line with the trends for the industry. After eleven years, I can say that I was given freedom to handle problems occurring at my particular facility on my own. I was crazy about my job. Excellent Benefits. Infrastructure, which was lacking, has been improving dramatically each year.

Cons

Although the corporate offices have clearly made an effort to include women at every level, at the distribution level the company remains anti-female At this level, as a Sales Manager I was the first and as a Branch Manager, I was the one female out of 200 locations. This may have changed in the last two years.
    In 2005 I was told by a District Sales Manager that he would never ever hire a female. " Too many problems."
    Now most men are intelligent enough to keep that thought to themselves, but that feeling remains hidden under the surface.

I was able to climb the ladder to success rapidly with good old fashioned hard work and a manager who saw only numbers.The shift happened when he was sent to work in finance. He was clearly looking at my results rather than my sex as I climbed the ladder from Relief Sales to Route Sales, To District Sales Manager to Branch Manager. He was replaced by a manager who wanted a rough and tumble all male football team. I could sense my demise on conference calls and also in the way he looked at me with disgust. I was on his team and he didn't like it. I sensed an immediate, "How'd you get here?" Attitude. As with racial injustice, no words need be spoken to feel the, "You don't belong here," eyes.

Dr. Pepper Snapple is like an engine running at half capacity without the female perspective. I showed great results, no one could deny that. Sometimes the softer side of a female, e g (I often brought homemade cookies in for sales meetings and operations crew), can produce better results and happier employees. I Received pats on the backs from my colleagues as I showed positive growth despite the trends.

The bias is so ingrained that being a female at my level was like knocking on an iron ceiling. Dr Pepper Snapple is an old school, good old boy environment, unlikely to change unless forced to.

Our team building include, race car driving, paint ball and hunting. What does this say about the company? Perhaps it's time to get off your horse, put away your gun and join this century.

Without this 50 percent of the population included in your diversity efforts, Dr. Pepper will never survive this new world where the women who do the shopping also want to be included in the boardroom.

Advice to Management

Make a conscious effort to hire women at the distribution facilities. It will take time for acceptance as this fundamental bigotry will not cease quickly. The potential results will also take time as men have a 90 year head start.
    Women will bring passion, open communication, clear direction, often offering unassuming direction to their subordinates along with a breath of fresh air to the customers.
    Without this forced inclusion, Dr Pepper Snapple will not remain competitive. This change will need to be to forced on the Regional VP's and Branch Managers or it will be ignored. I can promise you this.
    If all Regional VP's or Branch Managers were placed in a room and asked to answer honestly, "Should women be included in sales and distribution?" Along with a promise of no harm to their careers despite their answers, you would find that no women would ever be permitted in this Business.
    Gather results from companies that have set up long-term unyielding policies which includes women at all levels and note the resulting growth in sales. Perhaps these facts will help Dr Pepper Snapple to promote this 21st century idea on a 20th century mentality.
    Career opportunities for men are unlimited,. Hard work and results will get a man to the top. For women I would have selected one star or less. Take a look at your sales staff at the branches and lets see that less than 1% move to 50%.

More bad than good

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Plano, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Dr Pepper Snapple Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, work life balance, and people are generally good.

Cons

If you are in marketing, your career path is very limited. The Sales function is the lead function and marketing works to support that function and does not have ultimate decision making authority. Most of the corporate strategy is wrong because of the emphasis on sales, which devalues marketing. The company commoditizes its brands.

Furthermore, a few years ago while morale was already low, management decided to reduce floating holidays and remove another paid holiday. This provided no benefit to anyone and showed how out of touch management can be. This is definitely an old boys club.

The sales force is mostly older white men. This is a sharp contrast to successful CPG companies. Diversity is definitely an issue within sales and limits its success.

Advice to Management

The company needs to focus more on non-carbonated brands. There seems to be no strategy for growth other than hoping. No line of sight for strategic acquisitions or creating new brands in the face of emerging trends.

6. Great place to go nowhere fast unless you get to be friends with the right people

I worked at Dr Pepper Snapple Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly good benefits but every year they declined. Great people to work with.

Cons

They don't really consider how much experience you have or if you have an education. If you are friends with the right people you will get promoted.

7. Finding their Way

I worked at Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Pros

Have done a good job of consolidating various sub-standard businesses. Shown strong share performance since going public in 2008. Strong senior leadership.

Cons

That same senior leadership are all about themselves. No succession planning. No career development. Significant imbalance between senior leadership compensation and others. While the company has done well externally, they are still finding their way internally in terms of how they treat their employees. This is however typical of a publically traded company that are all about quarterly results often at the expense of their stakeholders, including their employees. They could learn a thing or two about conscious leadership.

8. Dr Pepper

I have been working at Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Pros

I receive my check on time.

Cons

Long hours! Very long hours!

Advice to Management

Improve the lines of communication within the management team.

9. Okay

I have been working at Dr Pepper Snapple Group

Pros

Good pay, right in your neighborhood

Cons

Long hours, ridiculous work load

Advice to Management

Be realistic people have lives.

10. Compensation does not match culture

Current Employee - Territory Sales in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Sales in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Dr Pepper Snapple Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment at times. Not an office atmosphere so there's a lot of freedom to work at your own pace. They have a lot of leading brands in many categories. Everyone is knowledgeable and willing to help.

Cons

Money as it relates to culture. You are constantly pushed to sell more products and more of the same products to more customers. Which is completely fine if you are compensated more than a barista at Starbucks. To put it in perspective, I could grow the territory 25% and still fall 10k short of the average income in the US. You get a ton of emails and reminders about how much you need to do, you work your tail off selling and merchandising and then live paycheck to paycheck.

And nobody knows how they get paid! There is no report that shows you what you sold and how you were compensated. Very frustrating, especially when the pay is so low for a sales position.

Advice to Management

In the branch where I am, there's not much advice i can give. I'm sure they have people breathing down their necks as well so it's not like they can back off the aggressive sales approach or pay us more.

Figure out how we get paid, how much money each person wants to make and help us get there.

BULK DRIVER ( 10+ years )

Current Employee - Express Driver in Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Express Driver in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I have been working at Dr Pepper Snapple Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mon-Fri , 401k , Match 401k up to 4% , Diversity , Paid to pick up shells , Few B & C reloads , few Hot Shots , On route, managing daily activities with out, some one, talking in your ear all day. , Great associates to work with. Paid vacation , Paid holiday's , Paid sick days , Paid personal days. Medical benefits ,

Cons

No stock perks , 401k dropped 6% to 4% , Employee Retention bad , Non-exclusive pallets , No ASN @ Walmart's or Targets,Check in process @Walmart very time consuming. , Corporate took over routing , Inefficiency of deliveries, routing, merchandisers. , Little or no raises that don't reflect cost of inflation across commodities sector. , Sick days should be increased , Personal days should go back to using as sick days if not used , Lack of communication to employees , Low wages , Poor software , Slow corporate red tape of hiring positions @ Branch level , No Paid medical examine , Not following corporate policy because of lack of personnel , Poor service to customers, lack there of people , Too many stops for drivers, spread too far away to make delivery times, company traded public , Working the following Saturday's post holiday that was a paid day off; while corporate enjoys or other branches enjoy the four day week end.Every year medical costs go up for the employee. No lunch in order to make door times , No employee incentives , 53ft put in a circle K parking lots is a dangerous practice, & a lawsuit waiting to happen; Bulk trucks should be kept out of small format,utilize for grocery stores only. Waste of fuel because of inefficient routing

Advice to Management

Corporate comes up with policies that have good intentions for the company but unrealistic execution at branch level. I see policies being made that effect the efficiency and execution of product.and undue stress on employees which causes poor retention and turnover. I believe,these cuts,being made are for the board members & to satisfy shareholders.I understand there must be growth within the company,for an idea to work at a lower level it must be executable.The retention of our people over the years,that I have seen,is not very good.costly,not only to our company,as well, to our customers.We could do much better in execution and double our case volume, it takes money to make money, the lack of the monies put towards execution and retention of our people is critical. Retaining seasoned skilled workers is necessary and maintaining equipment to keep up with the volume is crucial for growth.When a Publix ad comes on sale we struggle to execute.If we were able to execute deliveries within the door time and give better service in the store with our product we would get a lot more displays and end caps, more shelf space for our product, our volume would increase The following quarter. We have to show a constant timeframe of great quality service to achieve this trust is earned over time. @ First we will be in the red, The black ink will come to follow.The growth will be seen from that point forward.I see your policies changing following our competitors, are competitors follow through therefore they execute where is we come short and do not follow thru.when a company grows too fast it's too hard to sustain,growth at a slower rate is more sustainable.our branch lacks the necessary trucks drivers and merchandisers. When truck is broke down we have no replacement therefore product sits.you ask why because the person in charge of replacing that tractor is out on route because somebody has quit because they don't like the way the pay reflects the amount of work for the money made.our out of date delivery process needs to be updated and kept current. Pocket loads are outdated and inefficient more efficient than the old way. Small format should be already loaded on pup trucks ready to roll off. The upfront cost to convert over versus injury will eventually offset rates with insurance companies. The best ideas in life are usually stolen and given by current employees to improve the situation. Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts. Looking forward to another ten plus years with DPSG.

Dr Pepper Snapple Group Photos