Duff & Phelps

Duff & Phelps Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Duff & Phelps Chairman, President, and CEO Noah Gottdiener

Noah Gottdiener

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance and somewhat interesting work"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Duff & Phelps offers a great work environment for anyone who thrives on challenging projects and enjoys working among the best in the industry"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Erratic hours; tough clients who are also working crazy hours; hard to find a work-life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior management has done a great of job of promoting a slacker culture at Duff & Phelps"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

mediocre

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Duff & Phelps

Prossome people are quite good

Conspoor leadership, very poor communications

An actual experience is very much dependant on the office location

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood training on promotion, excellent facilities, flat management structure, senior management is approachable, the company supports employees in getting financial qualifications, good hours.

ConsThe brand is not recognisable in UK, below average compensation. The fact that the company is headquartered in US is very evident elsewhere. High turnaround, majority of people work about 2-3 years in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate your efforts on European and Asian offices.

Solid and Growing Company

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDuff & Phelps is a growing business with several service lines that are, or are shortly posed to be, the market leader. The firm still thinks of itself as a mid-market investment banking firm, but the reality is that it can provide financial advisory in a multitude of areas, most of which are growing rapidly. It's very nice never to worry about job security

ConsDuff is less prestigious than a big investment bank, and they pay is going to be lower at most levels below Managing Director. The banking group still dominates the firm, but the real value to the firm lies outside of M&A.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of compensation groups within service lines, so that people can bring in business into any service line.

Decent work/life balance

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time for more than a year

Prosdecent work /life balance here

Conscompany is poorly run - too much fighting amongst groups over who gets the revenue versus actually maximizing revenue for the firm

Great Place to Learn

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Duff & Phelps full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked very hard, spent many hours in the office with tight deadlines... but in the end I wouldn't be where I am without my time at Duff. I am incredibly grateful for my experience and would recommend it to anyone looking to tee-up a rewarding career in finance.

ConsLots of hours, but if you get the hours it means you are good. Just push through it!

Good work life balance but not great pay

I have been working at Duff & Phelps

ProsGood work life balance and somewhat interesting work

ConsBelow average compensation and poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementPay junior people more

My experience has been long and tedious

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time for more than 10 years

Prosthe free lunches during meetings

Consvery separate. EA's are treated as unimportant.

Great company for the industry, but long-term potential in industry limited

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time for more than 3 years

ProsProject based work -- always get to move onto something new. Also you generally have a lot of flexibility about how you go about your work. Exception might be for work being reviewed by an auditor, in which case you have to play by their rules.

Amount of variety is outstanding. You end up being exposed to a vast array of industries involving every conceivable product or service. There are some businesses that are so nich and would never be on your spectrum if you are just analyzing public companies.

You meet a lot of interesting people at the client companies.

You develop a deeper understanding of business and realize that the textbook view of business is not so cut and dry as a pure maximization of profits that necessarily occurs for a company with a wide ownership base (i.e.- a public company).

ConsA lot of mediocre people. You get a lot of finance guys who couldn't quite get into banking, asset management, etc. Or you get the bean counters who move up into business valuation, especially since all the accounting firms now have valuation practices.

As an extension, the field is becoming more and more dominated by the accounting firms and thus it's becoming very formulaic in their valuations, and generally not much insight. Worse, they have increasing clout and are influencing the way the profession is evolving. If you've ever dealt with auditors, then you know why this is not a great outlook.

Pay can be crappy relative to other finance jobs.

A lot of the same old ideas are rehashed over and over. People do attempt to innovate on the theoretical front, but I haven't seen too much that was truly original. Even then, it wouldn't make its way out of the valuation community.

Fees are definitely coming down or at least stagnant. Again, too many bean counters getting into the game.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more to keep strong employees and ditch the bean counters.

Great experience, high expectations and skill building challenges.

Consulting Analyst (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Duff & Phelps full-time for more than a year

ProsYou'll work with people at the top of their game.

ConsYou will work a lot!

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider being kinder.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Duff & Phelps full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood Culture and Professional Employees. Diversified client base, Duff and Phelps has good name recognition,

ConsCompetitive industry. Industry is also cyclical and sensitive to economic conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior staff needs to spend more time marketing

Worked for Duff & Phelps? Contribute to the Community!

Duff & Phelps Videos

Duff & Phelps – Why Work for Us?

Sound decisions start with Duff & Phelps Here at Duff & Phelps, we know what it takes to power sound decisions: collaboration, expert training and insight. But ultimately, it all comes down to the human element: our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duff & Phelps reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Duff & Phelps CEO Noah Gottdiener. All 112 reviews are posted anonymously by Duff & Phelps employees.