Dunkin

Updated 17 November 2014
3.1

Dunkin CEO Nigel Travis
Nigel Travis

Pros
  • Work/Life balance generally supported throughout the organization (in theory) (in 7 reviews)

• There is lots of free food and there is a discount on food (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible communication across departments, very low pay, and no opportunity for advancement (in 7 reviews)

• Due to the lack of staffing, Work/Life balance not possible if goals are to be achieved (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company overall but really tied to the bottom line.

I worked at Dunkin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good co-workers and support from management. Interesting work (if you're into quick service restaurants). Pay was above average and business casual is the dress code. Everyone knocks off at 1:30pm on Fridays! The company offers a matching 401k and bonus plus health benefits. All the coffee and donuts, bagels, ice cream etc you want for free in the cafeteria! Discounted bag coffee.

Cons

Lay-offs occur way too often as a way to same money, especially after the company went public. It's bad enough if you are a working stiff but upper management is a real revolving door. I never bothered to learn the names of corporate officers.

Lay off the trigger, there's enough blood on the walls already.

Weak Internship Program

Former Employee - Intern in Canton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Canton, MA (US)

I worked at Dunkin as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to learn about the QSR industry in a growing company. The cooperate atmosphere is fun, as it should be at a company that sells coffee and donuts. I had the opportunity to have one on ones with directors across many departments to really learn about the franchise business. I was pleasantly surprised with how much trust the company gave me as an intern, allowing me to work on numerous unsupervised projects.

Cons

I interned with the company for two summers and show the internship program grow from 20 interns in my first summer to 40 interns during my 2nd summer with the company. Despite the growth in the internship program, the company does not value intern. If you intern for company the chance of you being hired after your internship is very slim. The company does not hire directly from the internship pool. My department was truly grateful for the contributions I made however in the department I worked in their are no entry level positions. If you are looking for your internship to lead to a job this is not the place to work. If your looking for a decent paying summer job, Dunkin' Brands is not a bad place to work.

Management should take the internship program more seriously, and consider giving jobs to qualified interns. At other QSR companies their are management training programs for recent grads that the company should consider investing in.

Dunkin' Brands

I have been working at Dunkin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, fun atmosphere. Growing company..

Cons

Work life balance isn't always there. Promotions tend to come long after the person is already in the role.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA (US)

I worked at Dunkin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, fun atmosphere, and lots of learning. Great work/life balance and benefits. Competitive pay and lots of growth opportunities.

Cons

Like any big company, there can be some bureaucracy, but you'll quickly learn how to work around that to be successful in your role.

Keep up the good work

Like Sour Patch Kids only backwards, first they are sweet then they are bitter.

I worked at Dunkin full-time

Pros

The freedom to run your store as if it were yours.
    Great benefits

Cons

Work EVERY Sat and Mon
    No relationship with upper management
    Constant email communication
    Harassment from upper management

Get younger more vibrant multi unit managers. People that aren't afraid to try new 2014 techniques not people that are sticking to the same strategies from when they graduated college in the 60's. Also make new employees aware that management with your company is merely temporary. In due time once sales are UNBELIEVEABLE we will sale the store to a franchise and not care about anything you have done for the company

Interns beware

Former Employee - MBA in Canton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - MBA in Canton, MA (US)

I worked at Dunkin as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about franchises and the QSR industry. Dunkin is a marketing machine and there's a lot to learn if you're interested in marketing.

Cons

No interns are hired for real jobs. If you're at the end of college or your MBA and hoping to get hired full time, you're better off looking somewhere else. This year Dunkin pulled the budget for all marketing interns who had had their internships extended past the summer and nobody has been hired from an internship for several years.

Either invest in interns or don't have them at all

Great experience. Good benefits

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Syracuse, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Syracuse, NY (US)

I have been working at Dunkin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Set your own schedule and work very little weekends

Cons

Must complete a ton of audits

fun, hands on internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA (US)

I worked at Dunkin as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

casual atmosphere, constant supply of coffee doesn't hurt.

Cons

sometimes people did not seem to be on the same page. a lot of issues went unresolved

Don't trust senior management

Current Employee - Marketing in Canton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Canton, MA (US)

I have been working at Dunkin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great brand from the outside, nice offices, dedicated employees, average to below average comp, Fri afternoons off

Cons

Senior Management is all about taking care of themselves and their inner circle first and foremost; lots of sucking up within the circle; CEO is likable but blind to actual management style of department heads because they are superb at managing up to him while being !@# managers of their departments...severe over work

Reorganizing isn't always the answer..stop the layoffs of unsuspecting high performers for no good reason....people who are very very good at what they do and who have worked smart and hard with the resources available do not deserve to be let go. Often their replacements do not prove to be the answer to bring in more, more and more...and you've wasted time and investment and damaged the morale of employees left behind......the idea that a shake up is the best thing to do for the business needs thoughtful and very smart consideration. This seems to be senior management's default tactic. Also, realize that managing by intimidation is wrong, unproductive and unfair. Do you really want that to be your legacy.....it is the reputation of senior management now and by extension the brand. Heartless and not very wise. Promote from within....take a look at employees who are not only those who are "liked" by you and extroverted enough to play the game.

Marketing Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA (US)

I worked at Dunkin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friday is a 5 hour work day.

Cons

The pay structure is not balanced for the performance. Company goals and objectives are unobtainable.

None to minimal although they try to tell you there is plenty.

Dunkin Photos

Outside Dunkin' Brands headquarter offfice located in Canton, Massachusetts (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.5)
Dunkin Cafe