DynCorp International

DynCorp International Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

DynCorp International Chairman & CEO Steven F. Gaffney

Steven F. Gaffney

Pros:
  • "Good pay and union support, the people I worked with were top notch people"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Decent salaries and the working class employees are mostly good people who want to do good work"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Promoting employees to management with no management experience, overall arrogance of upper management"
    in 7 reviews
  • "being away from home living conditions can be harsh"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I joined this company in Dec 2011 as Truck Driver and then promoted to Fuels Truck driver.

Truck Driver (Current Employee)
Shīndand (Afghanistan)

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsI have learnt alot and more new things that has boosted much in my exprience and in my career objective..

ConsChallenges are in plenty but i have tried to cope with the situation.It has been hot and cold,out family sight but all has been well to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am entitled to work at any enviroment and at very low minimum supervisor.

Ideal employer for those willing to work hard, apply themselves, and who are dedicated to learning more about business

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsStrong company values for which people are held accountable; companywide sense of pride in the mission - people care about the work they are doing; opportunities to learn more to advance your career are limitless

ConsMarket dynamics make this a challenging time for anyone who contracts with the U.S. government; not a place for those just looking to "show-up" each day who are not invested in the work they do

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on core values across company; continue to hold people accountable for delivering results and living the company values

Great Company to get started when leaving the Armed Forces

Aircraft Mechanic (Current Employee)
Patuxent River, MD (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHours of operations, Great people to work with, "By the book" maintenance.

ConsShift rotations, Ugly uniforms, Poor advancement opprotunities

Data entry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DynCorp International

ProsThe work environment is excellent. challenging at time but overall good.

ConsThe shifts can be pretty difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementI recommend that the Data salaries should be done by the company itself and not by the national host country

My experience with DynCorp is irreplaceable. It's a great experience that you cannot get anywhere else.

COMBS Site Manager (Former Employee)
Bargay, Kandahar Province (Afghanistan)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat way to challenge yourself and create new relationships with a broad range of different cultures and feel good about your daily accomplishments.

ConsMinimal downsides, my worst downside is being away from love ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the great support that we provide for our War Fighters.

Dyncorp int'l is the best company i have ever worked for

Tent Repair Technician (Current Employee)
Herat (Afghanistan)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Prosworking conditions are the best and salary is satisfying

Conssometimes you are reprimanded while you are Innocent

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be more fair to all regardless of the race

DynCorp International have provided our customers with top quality service around the world

Aviation Maintenance Technician (Former Employee)
Mannheim (Germany)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople that make up the workforce enriches the Company with extensive real-world experience, expeditionary spirit and innovative thinking

ConsMedian pay, slow advancement opportunities, restrictive leave policy, and lack of material support in austere work locations

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove partnership with workforce, and customer by valuing relationships with the workforce

Same as any other overseas contractor out there, lots of politics and many employees there for the paycheck only.

Carpenter Foreman (Former Employee)
Kandahar (Iran)

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFast, easy money. Great position to be in to pay off loans and debts. Important to remember, do you one-year contract and go home.

ConsFar from home and family. Some of the loneliest days and nights that I have spent.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit your employees more often to make sure that they are doing what they are being paid to do.

Great Overseas Opportunities

Assistant Site Manager (Former Employee)
Lashkar Rāh (Afghanistan)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsGood focus on ethics; great overseas opportunities, pay is excellent

ConsContracts differ, but LOGCAP was 7 days a week, 12 hours a day in very austere conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the ethics focus - the DI Star is a great tool. Upper management needs to actually live it, though. I saw multiple examples of when it came down to doing the right thing versus looking good (either for an individual or for the company), reputation (i.e. looking good) trumped fairness (doing the right thing for a subordinate).

A huge disappointment.

Air Traffic Controller (Current Employee)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe good thing about DynCorp is... I don't know; frankly, that's a very short list. The paychecks come on time, and I think that pretty much sums it up.

ConsIf the long hours and hostile environment (these are givens, since the work itself is in Afghanistan) aren't enough, you have to contend with rank incompetence at all levels of management. Cronyism and the "GOB" network rule the day. Failing that, people who can bluff well rise through the ranks at blistering speeds, while competent people with actual records of accomplishment are marginalized to the point where the former taking credit for the efforts of the latter seems normal. Blatantly abusive supervisors and "problem children" are shuffled throughout the project, instead of being demoted or fired for their offenses. Petty territorial fights over jurisdiction or responsibility are part and parcel of an average day with DynCorp on the LOGCAP project. Plumbers and pest controllers are elevated to site management positions, yet retain territorial preference for their own former bailiwick and biases against other functional areas, as well as an ignorance of those in more highly skilled functional areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for better people. Given that you're paying well below what most of the other contracting companies have been paying, it's no wonder that there's so much strife throughout the project. You're paying below the average for the area, and so you're getting largely the dregs of the contracting world. You get what you pay for, and trash is cheap. Additionally, changing vacation policies without grandfathering in those who've already been approved for vacation is the kind of slipshod nonsense one would expect from a shady sales company, not a multibillion-dollar government contractor. Lastly, the benefits package you offer is atrocious. Your competitors largely offer much better packages for their employees than you do. Our plan is garbage, and smacks of someone in HR getting kickbacks; seriously, a company of this size and the best we get is a benefits package that would look thin coming from a company a tenth this size.

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!

DynCorp International Videos

DynCorp International – Why Work for Us?

A GLOBAL SERVICES PROVIDER OFFERING UNIQUE, TAILORED SOLUTIONS FOR AN EVER-CHANGING WORLD DynCorp International is a leading global services provider offering unique, tailored solutions for an ever-changing world… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DynCorp International reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for DynCorp International CEO Steven F. Gaffney. All 251 reviews are posted anonymously by DynCorp International employees.