DynCorp International Reviews

• Fort Worth, TX
2.6
DynCorp International Interim CEO James Geisler
James Geisler

A failure of organizational leadership.

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time

Pros

Flexibility and some travel

Cons

Empire building and you will have more education and experience than your boss in most cases.

2. Cyclical Industry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International

Pros

Opportunity for personal and professional growth if you work for the right team or program. Compensation is fair, benefits are fair.

Cons

Government contracting is a cyclical industry and is currently struggling with wars winding down, government shutdowns etc. Work-life balance depends on your department or program. Layoffs have been quarterly and raises have not been given the last 3 years. Way too many VP's that you never see and wonder what they do all day.

Advice to Management

Stop chasing every bright, shiny object. This company needs long-term vision. The next time you win a wind-fall of a contract, consider using some of the profit to invest in your systems, processes and people instead of slapping each other on the back and lining every executive's pockets with bonuses. Create a scalable work-force so you don't have to do lay-offs every 3 months which keep workers in perpetual fear of losing their jobs.

3. Very bad experience with VP whose work ethic was "his way or the highway".

Former Employee - Senior Contract Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Contract Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Met some nice, knowlegable co-workers

Cons

Too much finger pointing to assert blame!

Advice to Management

Take wrong personality mismatching out of equation for forcing people to resign

5. Horrible

Current Employee - Private Due Ti Retaliation in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Private Due Ti Retaliation in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International

Pros

Pay is on time normally

Cons

HR team is unresponsive and senior leadership is the worst. If you have a concer you will either wait weeks for a response and more often than not no response. High turnover and higher layoffs with little to no notice. 3 CEO changes in 18 months. Unless you need it dontt bother. There are plenty of other contract companies out there

Advice to Management

Change HR leadership starting at the top then director level

Satisfying customer mission; Learned a lot; frustrating corp politics

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working out of Fort Worth office provided good sr. leadership visibility. Very patriotic company and does a great job recognizing veterans and their contractors operating in harms way. Programs are not very technically complex but the missions are unique and can't help but provoke a strong sense of patriotism. Program locations around the world provide interesting travel opportunities (Afghanistan, Iraq, GCC states) for those who enjoy frequent travel. The former CEO did a good job creating an intentional culture and reshaping the mindset of some leaders. Have opportunities to wear many hats if you are motivated. Like most places, your experience will largely be shaped by your boss and immediate peers.

Cons

Constant redirection is frustrating and makes it difficult to get anything done. Often seemed like just when started to get traction, the direction would change. Reinvent the same wheel over again in every different color... Leadership was slow to make strategic decisions; No raises for last 3 years...although understandable given the financial pressures.
    Although much of old boys club has been weeded out, some leaders still promote and reward unprofessional, incompetent, and/or hostile behavior, which often isn't addressed until something blows up. Very little work-life balance...everything is needed and needed now mindset, just so it can sit around and languish (for months, even years) waiting for senior leadership sign off. Virtually no automation...surprising for a company this large. Very poor communication...the oldest/largest "start up" I've worked for.

Advice to Management

Upper management has a tendency to shoot the messenger so they miss out on the truth from the people who care, and promote the political animals with CYA mindsets instead. Est by example a culture that advocates and rewards truth vs. political expedience. Create formalized succession programs/career development.... Address employee concerns re: company health head on so you don't lose the good people to the frequent layoffs....pull the layoff band aide off at once vs. frequent quarterly/semi-annual mass layoffs that hurt morale.

7. Challenging

Current Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay compared to some of the other companies.

Cons

No mobility in HR. Very limited HR positions available.

Advice to Management

Value the people you have.

Stressful

Former Employee - Senior Manager (HR) in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager (HR) in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay well. Good benefits.

Cons

Always on fear of job being eliminated due to forces beyond your control. (I.E. Sequestration)

Advice to Management

N/A

DynCorp doesn't care

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are really in need of employment and can't find anything else then work here only to gain experience and then leave after a year. Otherwise, I don't recommend working here.

Cons

DI is top heavy and pay only its upper management personnel. They don't care about the support staff, often lose bids on proposal due to POOR PAST PERFORMANCE ratings, and has a bad reputation with the government. They are a sinking ship!

Advice to Management

Clean house!! of your upper management who have fat paychecks, stop hiring your siblings, and other family members and promote HONESTLY within the minorities who are qualified. Stop promoting those caucasians who are NOT qualified. Stop lying to the government!!!

Even Ethics does not do the right thing

Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist Senior in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist Senior in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High salaries per experience and a ton of flex time during the week.

Cons

I had a manager who broke every rule on the social contract. I reported it to Ethics because it was getting out of hand. Ethics said, "yeah, there are some bad managers out there but just because he lies or treats you bad does not mean anything.. but I will talk to them about the internal training you aren't getting". I was given permission for training immediately afterwards and a couple weeks after that I was let go in a so called "lay-off"! I contacted Ethics regarding "retaliation" and they wouldn't respond for 6+ months. Later found out that my boss had lied again to Ethics in a cover-up so Ethics just left it at that. Would not look into the matter.
    Turnover is significant. More than any company I've ever seen. I had 7 different managers during my few years tenure. None of whom are with the company any more. Further, leadership portrays unethical standards in cost representation to the government.

Advice to Management

The right thing doesn't come from you.

Management

Former Employee - Anonymous in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Serve and support our military and Department of State all over the world. Recognition to families that have lost ones that were DynCorp employees. Great people on the ground that work hard and love what they do. Hire a lot of former military.

Cons

At high levels of leadership, they don't follow their published values, it is mostly for show. Let go of good people and they retain the political ones and no employment security. Company is in turmoil due to poor leadership, a lot of been fired but seems as if some are still there.

Advice to Management

Private equity company, retain those who produce and don't get fooled by political and suit characters who tend to be all air about themselves.

DynCorp International Photos