DynCorp International

DynCorp International Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Not yet rated.

S. Gordon Walsh

Pros
  • Good pay even though you are in a war zone (in 25 reviews)

• Hours of operations, Great people to work with, "By the book" maintenance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not know what is going on or how to run the program (in 11 reviews)

• Being away from home, but that's expected when signing up (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Excilerating

Office Assistant (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsNo two days are ever the same. Since this company has locations all around the world. There is always something happening, 24/7. The opportunity for growth is excellent. The general overhead is low, so everyone wears many hats. I am learning something new everyday. I love interacting with people all over the world. I get to work with true american heroes. The ethics are top notch. There is a social contract that is signed and followed to the letter. This definitely makes for a very pleasant work atmosphere. The leadership training is relevant immediately to our managers, not just something they can use in the future. I love it here.

ConsYou need to be available 24/7, 365. They keep the overhead low, but this creates a bottleneck sometime to get something processed. Some of the software applications need to be updated and more user friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer the bonuses to everyone, not just managers. This is truly a team environment. Everyone on the team needs to be rewarded, not just the managers.

Got to do the job I had in the USAF for a civilian company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, can do the same job you had in the military.

ConsQatar sort of sucks, and not having SOFA status as a civilian in Qatar makes you a 2nd class citizen with no equal rights who are regarded as gods by the police.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be "my daddy", I am a grown man. Micromanagement sucks.

Huge company with many projects in various fields

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsDynCorp is a huge company that offers a wide varity of job postings around the world.
    The Company will generally give employees opportunities for follow-on jobs within the company as they finish their contracts (applies to year long/overseas contracting work)
    The Company's values are great (See below)

Cons(Understand this is in reference to the project I work with. Talk with someone at your potential work site for appropriate details)
    DynCorp's ability to pay a respectable salary was struck hard coming in after another company had this project. The quality of employees that will work in this field, for this amount of money is lacking. The Company's inability to recruit quality aircraft mechanics makes it hard to get rid of substandard mechanics. It's a snowball that gets worse as top notch employees leave the program because they can make better money elsewhere, and employees that lack experience and skills for better paying jobs are left behind. The only thing that keeps this place running are the handful of mechanics that stick around because they truly care about the end user and their mission.
    There never seems to be enough time to really truly inculcate the Company's values into the workforce, other than through negative discipline when values are not adhered to.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some way to offer better incentives for working here. The hourly compensation and benefits are substandard for this industry. The only reason to work on this project is the insane amount of hours we work.
    Allow lower and middle management to review potential incoming employee’s applications and take their advice into consideration prior to hiring them

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company Review

Staff Officer (Current Employee)

ProsThe company is very generous in its vacation allocations, based on how long you've worked for them. The are definitely pro-veteran, and family. The atmosphere is one of teamwork.

ConsBeing off-site, sometimes information is found out slowly. Additionally, historically when training is required, we tend to get notification at the "critical" hour for it to be completed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communication lines open to the lowest worker level.

Strong opportunity as a starting block for contract work

Operations (Former Employee) Kuwait City (Kuwait)

ProsThe pay wasn't as strong as, say, KBR and some of the other companies. However, you received a lot more of the freedoms you'd receive working a normal job.

ConsYou're not completely free. Having a family can be difficult. Hard to move up, depending on the project.

Good employer

Force Protection Supervisor (Former Employee) Ferizaj (Kosovo)

ProsGood pay, ok food, ok rooms.

Consneeds to pay closer attention to upper mgmt.

Advice to Senior Management?

Great pay

Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) Patuxent River, MD (US)

ProsGreat pay, and experience! Raises were annually started off at $27.00/hr after one year of work and one raise I ended at $30/hr

ConsThe location of work was pretty bad, it was southern Maryland and the cost of living down there was outrageous.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork was great while I was there, it isn't the normal professional work environment due to the majority of the people being prior military there is a bit of hazing going on at times.

Once in a lifetime opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay, vacation, overseas service, experience and great people

ConsPolitics, hours, access to basic things: Internet
    Personal items

Advice to Senior ManagementRead resumes, you have people with leadership potential and years of experience wasted on menial positions

It was a good place to work, management was pretty easy, but for most people the advancement rte is low

Avionics Technician (Former Employee) Patuxent River, MD (US)

ProsPeople pretty much get along, everyone was military and we all had a common goal.

ConsUnions are not around to protect the people that want to work...definitely for the lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should have incentives for people to work harder

Great Company, Local Management Needs Work

Mentor (Current Employee) Kabul (Afghanistan)

ProsVery Good salaries, excellent people, professional company

ConsLocal Program Managers and Deputy Program Managers seem to believe they are the primary focus and SOW earners are the supporting players. Usually the best logistics, support items, housing etc goes to the PMO and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using previous rank as a factor in hiring for leadership positions. Remember that the PMO and staff are supporting the SOW earners, not the other way around.

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!