EBRD

Updated 11 December 2014
3.2

EBRD President Suma Chakrabarti
Suma Chakrabarti

Very pleased to work here

I have been working at EBRD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Intelligent work staff, strong benefits and sense of job security. Multi cultural environment.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement limited sdue to low staff turnover. Very bureacratic.

FI Department - B category of managers who are afraid to be outshined

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at EBRD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security - nobody ever gets fired (even if they suck consistently)

Cons

As my friend (who left after a year to join Citi) put it - "I have never felt more exploited than here". Basically the business model is as follows: hire mostly C category of profesionals (from fear to be outshined); and a limited number of bright young things who are first used/exploited (without developing them or giving them appropriate rewards) and then get rid of them... Longest contract you can get these days is 3 years, with 6-12 months contracts being more usual, with no guarantee of extension. The worst part - you'll be working for senior people most of whom (with a few exeptions) are not particulary smart but know how the system works and secretive not to develop young people who can outshine them (eg. you won't get direct assess to clients, won't be copied on important emails etc), uninspiring, non-charasmatic and frankly would not have made it to the current levels in the "real world". Politics/favouritism etc are even worse than in private sector despite having less to share. My advise - if you have an offer from FI, stay away from this swamp...

New charasmatic CEO is trying to modernise this hydra but it's not an easy job, particularly if you have outdated/ unmovable mid-management which you can not get rid of. My advise would be give more opportunities to talented young people who are currently repressed, pick them up from under their unispiring managers, develop them as management reserve using modern management/coaching techniques for a modern transperant business culture.

Analyst

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England

I worked at EBRD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, a lot of traveling involved

Cons

Beaurocratic, sometimes slow paced, have to be ready to move to different countries to advance

Great experience

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in London, England

I have been working at EBRD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- nice and friendly staff (colleagues)
    - great benefits
    - each member of staff has 2 days off per month
    - no people turnover

Cons

- people hold their positions for years preventing new enthusiastic people come to the Bank and move it forward

It was the best I have worked in my whole career!

I worked at EBRD as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Despite being a contractor, I have made lots of great friends. I have learnt a lot and learnt what is like to work with people from many, many different countries.

Cons

It is a place where if you know the right people you will definitely advance in your career, otherwise you can forget about that.

New talented, smart employees do not stay very long when they realise what the Bank is really like.

I have been working at EBRD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Outstanding benefits
    Diverse

Cons

Slow paced and beuraucratic
    IT infrastructure is either 20 years old or non-existant
    Calibre of many employees is poor and individuals tenure is long as there is no where else for them to go and they are overpaid for what they do.
    The Bank employs more people than needed due to poor management and lack of any performance management frmework.
    New talented, smart employees never stay very long, once they realise what the Bank is really like they get out as soon as possible.
    Performance is measured by length of service resulting in people with very little experience in relatively senior positions.
    Office space is dated and uninspiring.

The EBRD would benefit from some new commercial blood hired into senior management positions and then restructured in the lower levels. A move towards a performance based culture would allow the Bank to cut out "dead wood" allowing it to be more efficient and results driven. Abolish the Presidential structure where decisions are based on the politics of re-election as opposed to decision being made in the best interest of the Bank.

Appalling

I worked at EBRD as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Met some really nice people worth keeping in touch with.
    Nice offices
    Good CV experience
    Great cafeteria

Cons

Some people are in management roles although they are not cut for it. They are given the power of making decisions, when in reality they should just be kept in normal administrative positions. Unnecessary management positions are create in order to get some individuals advanced, when in reality there is no need for them to do so. Progression is very often stopped due to these individuals' personal dislikes, not considering that hard worker employees could actually be a good asset for the Bank.

Invest more in young management. Invest more on people who actually value work integrity more than a glass of wine (or two) over lunch hours.

One of the most disorganised I.T depts I have ever worked in with my 20+ years experience.

Current Employee - I T SUPPORT in London, England
    Current Employee - I T SUPPORT in London, England

I have been working at EBRD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

An investment bank role looks good on my C.V! That's about it. Was not entitled to any staff benefits being a external contractor (which is fine) but yet expected to perform to the same level and motivation as perm' staff who get many rewards and we were part of the same team.

Cons

Management very adverse to positive change and progression. Many have been there for years so have their 'best friends' working alongside them so there is a very 'clicky' culture and if you do not fit in - do not expect to go far.

See past your own appraisal/bonus objectives, appreciate the constructive feedback received from staff (certainly new ones who have more experience in differing roles and come to EBRD with fresh eyes/ideas)and work with them to ensure a more robust I.T dept.

Great moral ethics

Current Employee - Control-M Technical Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Control-M Technical Consultant in London, England

I have been working at EBRD as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

People use strange words like "please" and "thank you". I enjoy coming into work everyday. The people are really nice people.

I would recommend anyone to come and work here

Cons

The people on the trains getting here!!!

exciting work but restructuring needed

Current Employee - Principal Banker
    Current Employee - Principal Banker

I have been working at EBRD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- work on exciting projects, with plenty of resources
    - multi-cultural staff
    - great benefit package

Cons

- too much internal politics
    - senior management needs a serious turnaround
    - not enough reality check with private sector, sometimes disconnected from reality of the business environment

fresh blood urgently needed