EBRD

EBRD President Suma Chakrabarti

Suma Chakrabarti

Great moral ethics

Control-M Technical Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsPeople use strange words like "please" and "thank you". I enjoy coming into work everyday. The people are really nice people.

I would recommend anyone to come and work here

ConsThe people on the trains getting here!!!

One of the most disorganised I.T depts I have ever worked in with my 20+ years experience.

I T SUPPORT (Current Employee) London, England

ProsAn investment bank role looks good on my C.V! That's about it. Was not entitled to any staff benefits being a external contractor (which is fine) but yet expected to perform to the same level and motivation as perm' staff who get many rewards and we were part of the same team.

ConsManagement very adverse to positive change and progression. Many have been there for years so have their 'best friends' working alongside them so there is a very 'clicky' culture and if you do not fit in - do not expect to go far.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee past your own appraisal/bonus objectives, appreciate the constructive feedback received from staff (certainly new ones who have more experience in differing roles and come to EBRD with fresh eyes/ideas)and work with them to ensure a more robust I.T dept.

exciting work but restructuring needed

Principal Banker (Current Employee)

Pros- work on exciting projects, with plenty of resources
    - multi-cultural staff
    - great benefit package

Cons- too much internal politics
    - senior management needs a serious turnaround
    - not enough reality check with private sector, sometimes disconnected from reality of the business environment

Advice to Senior Managementfresh blood urgently needed

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Uninspiring, backward and behind the times

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsThis company has a subsidised staff restaurant with a great menu. You will have job security for life and the benefits are quite attractive (great private medical insurance)

ConsSenior Managers are very old fashioned and behind their times. Total lack of dynamic and forward thinking, unfortunately very much to the detriment of the organisation and the Countries of Operations who are supposed to benefit. EBRD likes to set high standards for clients but when it comes to its own staff doesn't follow the same rules (e.g. gender equality is pretty poor but EBRD expects its clients to put in place policies for gender equality that it doesn't even expect of its own staff). This company is very poor in adapting to changing economic climates. The recent modernisation programme has more style than substance. The One Bank programme was supposed to introduce "Efficiency", "Modern Culture", "Innovation" and "Impact". Nice intranet pages but no action and no implementation. Don't expect to see change. Its not just the COO that are stuck in transition (as the latest transition report suggests), this institutions is seriously stuck itself and lacks any entrepreneurial spirit. There is no link between performance and reward either. Which explains the poor performance of senior management. There is no reward for excellent work. Promotion is by years of service and not performance (although they are trying to change this, however, since change doesn't happen we are back to square one.)

Advice to Senior ManagementSack underperforming managers and get rid of half of senior management. They neither inspire staff nor are the competent or capable stopping the younger generation of managers from moving this organisation into the 21st century. The staff survey even highlights that senior management have a poor perception but nothing is done about it or whatever they are trying to do is not effective.

Executive Secretary to Director

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood working environment and opportunities to grow and learn. You can learn a lot about the Bank and how it helps their 36 countries of operation.

ConsA very low turnover of support staff and consquently not enough roles

Temple of beaurocracy

Procurement Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsLovely subsidised staff restaurant
    Highly paid for what you do
    Other benefits

ConsManagement are out of touch beauraucrats
    More interested in processes and compliance than anything else
    Other comp and benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow staff to add value not just be guardians of restrictive processe. In some areas such as consultancy services and procurement you could cut staffing by a quarter if you werent just tying to make stakeholders stick to ludicrous processes.
    Stop wasting money on inefficient procurement hiding behind 'quality not cost' (really meaning it allows itself to get ripped off).
    Minimise comittees (everything and I mean everything decided by comittee)

Great place to work

ProsGreat environment, especially for those who come from countries of operations

ConsSome processes that are out of date but management seem to be working on improving them

Very rewarding experience with good opportunities to influence emerging markets and sectors

Senior Banker (Current Employee) London, England

ProsVery reputable international financial institution offering excellent opportunities for well rounded professional growth in a truly multicultural environment. It has challenging objectives and operates in private sector environment. It could be considered as a safe harbor in the time of crisis by someone, but it is due to its counter cyclical nature. Very good and supportive professional culture. No one would stub you in the back.

ConsGrowing bureaucracy. Institution is becoming very rigid due to ever growing number of restrictive policies imposed by its shareholders (public governments). Starting from certain level "glass ceiling" exists for career progression for the nationals from the countries of operations. While compensation itself is not that bad it is highly influenced by the shareholders' governments and is lagging behind the market for similar type of institutions. In other words the institution has private sector objectives and set of skills, but public sector pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to fight to chance certain policies which have become obsolete and slowing down the institution. The Bank also needs fresh blood at the senior management level below the level of the President and Vice Presidents.

Good place to work, very international.

ProsInteresting people working at all levels.

ConsCareer progression can be hard in times of low turn-over.

I enjoyed working at EBRD

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

Prosa) The troops in general are great to work with.
    b) Good Restaurant, reasonably cheap.
    c) Very plush good looking offices.

Consa) No promotion paths most mangers have been in same position for years.
    b) Behind the times from an IT point of view dont stay long or you'll be out of touch.
    c) Some managers are out of their depth.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key. Stop making short term financial decisions to feather your own nest at the expence of working performance of the bank as a whole.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for EBRD? Contribute to the Community!