EBRD

Add Photos

EBRD President Suma Chakrabarti

Suma Chakrabarti

Executive Secretary to Director

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EBRD as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGood working environment and opportunities to grow and learn. You can learn a lot about the Bank and how it helps their 36 countries of operation.

ConsA very low turnover of support staff and consquently not enough roles

Great place to work

I have been working at EBRD

ProsGreat environment, especially for those who come from countries of operations

ConsSome processes that are out of date but management seem to be working on improving them

Very rewarding experience with good opportunities to influence emerging markets and sectors

Senior Banker (Current Employee)

I have been working at EBRD full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery reputable international financial institution offering excellent opportunities for well rounded professional growth in a truly multicultural environment. It has challenging objectives and operates in private sector environment. It could be considered as a safe harbor in the time of crisis by someone, but it is due to its counter cyclical nature. Very good and supportive professional culture. No one would stub you in the back.

ConsGrowing bureaucracy. Institution is becoming very rigid due to ever growing number of restrictive policies imposed by its shareholders (public governments). Starting from certain level "glass ceiling" exists for career progression for the nationals from the countries of operations. While compensation itself is not that bad it is highly influenced by the shareholders' governments and is lagging behind the market for similar type of institutions. In other words the institution has private sector objectives and set of skills, but public sector pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to fight to chance certain policies which have become obsolete and slowing down the institution. The Bank also needs fresh blood at the senior management level below the level of the President and Vice Presidents.

Good place to work, very international.

I have been working at EBRD

ProsInteresting people working at all levels.

ConsCareer progression can be hard in times of low turn-over.

I enjoyed working at EBRD

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EBRD for more than 8 years

Prosa) The troops in general are great to work with.
b) Good Restaurant, reasonably cheap.
c) Very plush good looking offices.

Consa) No promotion paths most mangers have been in same position for years.
b) Behind the times from an IT point of view dont stay long or you'll be out of touch.
c) Some managers are out of their depth.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key. Stop making short term financial decisions to feather your own nest at the expence of working performance of the bank as a whole.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good place to work

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at EBRD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay, Benefits, Job Security, staff canteen

ConsLittle opprotunity for moving up,

Advice to Senior Managementprovide opportunites for staff advancement, and education.

Amazingly, this organization gets even more bureaucratic day-by-day. Senior management are ossified dinosaurs!

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at EBRD full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLondon location and it is a job.

ConsSupremely self-satisfied Orwellian bureaucracy that accomplishes little other than pushing paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementCull ranks of senior management. Avoid needless duplication of mission by folding EBRD into Iternational Finance Corporation. Perhaps it has outlived its purpose.

Good place to work if you find your niche

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at EBRD full-time for more than 8 years

ProsInteresting projects, interesting countries to work in. Colleagues are great too, there are very few of the full-of-themselves city boys and girls here. Directors are usually very good, higher up it gets a bit more variable.

ConsSenior management is too stale, place is becoming more and more bureaucratic. Career chances are not great, but as I said, if you have found your niche, you can do what you like and have some freedom in it. If your niche is to make lots of money quickly and rapidly move up the greasy pole, this is not your place to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange for change's sake is probably not such a great idea. There is value in stability, and not everyone who disagrees with change is a disgruntled stick in the mud.

Stable but mundane

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at EBRD full-time for more than a year

ProsRelaxed and organised; extremely stable compared to other banks in the current environment. People are not the typical as*holes found in banking in general; they actually believe in the bank's mandate and are trying to design projects in a way that will help "develop" the local economies. Management genuinely care about their staff and try and accomodate individual circumstances.

ConsA lot of competing business objectives (profitability, development goals) and trying to satisfy a plethora of stakeholders mean strategy is practically fixed forever. With regards to compensation, salaries are generally below market but come with higher than market benefits (including a final salary pension scheme), so total comp not that bad. While employees are not the typical as*holes found in banking, they are not the smartest guys either - not stupid, but just normal.

Mix of cultures and backgrounds

Project Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at EBRD full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work/life balance, exposure to poilitical relations and top management of the main companies in the countries of operation. Benefits. Mix of cultures. Mix of development and banking backgrounds

ConsNot very dinamic. Career progression is difficult

Worked for EBRD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EBRD reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for EBRD CEO Suma Chakrabarti. All 27 reviews are posted anonymously by EBRD employees.