EMC

3.5 1,831 reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

(1,218 ratings)

Pros
  • work/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend(in 164 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well(in 84 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at(in 44 reviews)

1,831 Employee Reviews

Good company to work for. good benefits

ProsGood benefits package. stable environment.

ConsOffice locations are not great

Take their employees for granted

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is pretty decent. Once you have a job here, I think it's pretty hard to get let go.

ConsThere is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well. There is very little room to be creative in marketing, and your day is taken up with conference calls and building PPTs rather than actually getting to action anything.

I've had several roles and politics get in the way of making things happen. Be prepared for things to move SLOW. And upper management has very little idea of what the "peons" are doing - even though they are working their butts off.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell your team that you appreciate them. Be honest and upfront when there are changes happening in the organization. Give people autonomy to be creative. SCHEDULE FEWER CONFERENCE CALLS!!!

A highly political culture with an identity crisis and questionable morals.

Client Director (Former Employee) Manchester, England

ProsBroad portfolio of products which are, on the whole, good quality. Impressive track record of acquiring technology companies.

ConsVery confused go-to-market strategy. The company talks about transformation, Generation Y etc ...... BUT the sales teams are measured 100% on selling higher and higher quantities of disk based storage. These strategies are mutually exclusive and are driving high staff attrition rates and I believe they are heading for severe reductions in revenues.
    There are very serious cultural issues at EMC - the EMEA and UK management team demonstrate very little support of the staff. Numbers are everything, irrespective of behaviour and ethics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent; target your staff in alignment with your publicly stated strategy.
    You preach that your people are your greatest asset - you are heading for a mass exodus unless you actually deliver on this claim.
    Break up the company now as there are too many conflicting dynamics at work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ProsGreat product and technology stacks

ConsCulture within the teams can improve

Great technologies and Vision - But a deeply disturbing work culture.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Brentford, England

ProsAcquisitions, technology & vision are outstanding.
    If you're young and want want a good grounding in storage and backup products and technologies, this is a very good place to start.
    Comparatively high proportion of time can be at home versus office/travel.

ConsFrankly bizarre culture: It's inevitable that one day you will be stabbed in the back, criticised as wholly deficient, or sacrificed to a sales troll - for no justifiable reason. Most people last about 5 years if they're lucky - there are only so many bullets you can dodge.
    What happens at the customer coalface is a world away from the vision - it's a machine for selling the product portfolio, which is focused on storage.
    It wants to be visionary and have the Executive Conversation, but what it likes and encourages are self-centred sales Neanderthals and nerdy storage gurus.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture and you will succeed. Leave it as it is and you'll be unable to adapt.

A Great Place To Work

Field Practice Lead (Former Employee) London, England

ProsDisruptive technology at it's very best! Lots of new and exciting products to work with.

ConsLarge, US-Owned, company. Ruthless focus on growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent pay and benefits.

Lack of vision, lackluster higher management on the software side (IIG)

Consultant Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsNot much actually. Would not work there again, quite a frustrating experience.

ConsStupid layoffs of the wrong persons, no vision, projects get started and get killed. The IIG division will not last for a very long time IMO. Not talking about the rest of EMC, I heard it's a successful company but not very exposed to the storage side.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something for more than 2 years, maybe it will work. You don't know, you never tried.

Great Company

Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat Leaders
    Great People, smart and focused
    Great Teams
    Great Culture
    Very good work life balance
    Very focus on execution and delivery
    Real sense of purpose and mission.
    You can make a difference.
    Great sales focus and enablement.
    Awesome place in you are in a sales function
    Market leading solutions and products.
    Genuinely innovation taking place.

ConsBureaucratic, the processes in place in the back office are holding EMC back.
    Political environment, some people are concerned about empire building.
    Needs to be a bit more daring, very cautious company.
    Seen as Dinosaur company, EMC management need to address this image problem.
    Too much of a suited and booted environment.
    Some favouritism is taking place outside the sales functions and delivery functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more risk, get more agile.
    Do something about the bureaucracy is stopping further growth and market share expansion. Great people and leaders are distracted too much by this, really slows up everything.

Great place to work if you want to settle

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsFlexible hours, good benefits. A great place to work for if you have kids or as a stepping stone.

ConsSlow management, lack of career prospects, pay is fair but not great.

watch your back

Finance Manager (Former Employee) London, England

Prosfast pace but often direction less

Conshighly political, poor communication from corporate, if you are not in sales this is the wrong company

Advice to Senior Managementstart listening

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!