EMC Reviews

2,297 Reviews
EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci
Joe Tucci
1,463 Ratings

Pros
  • work/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend (in 185 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well (in 92 reviews)

• Hard to change anything since it is a big company (in 49 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company, knowledgeable management, good benefits

I have been working at EMC

Pros

The benefits here are good. The company is on top and still on the rise. The management knows what they are doing and where they are going.

Cons

Salary is lower than average despite the good benefits. The future career plans of the individual is not particularly cared for.

2. Solutions Architect

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at EMC as a contractor

Pros

Dynamic, Fast paced, Sales Driven

Cons

Flat structure with frequent changes in management

Advice to Management

Stability in management changes

3. Change is afoot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at EMC (More than 3 years)

Pros

EMC has fasciate market leading products and solutions that really work.
    Some great pockets of genuine leadership and smart people who really push the company forward and good fun to work with.
    Some very smart technical people work here, good support functions and people, very good client satisfaction levels.
    Clear Mission and goals everyone is very aligned on theses.
    Some very good recognition and rewards schemes in place.
    The EMC federation is a very sound strategy for moving from 2nd tier into 2.5 and the 3rd tier.
    Very good acquisition strategy of new technologies and emerging companies that add value to EMC products and solutions.
    Strong sales orientation and focus. Focus on delivery and execution is top notch.
    Industry leading CEO in charge brings a lot to EMC in passion and pride that felt throughout the company.

Cons

A lot of change and restructuring that is taking too long, losing good people along the way due to the uncertainly this creates.
    Many things to take too long to get done outside the sales process, to many people involved, query things that the business wants to get done that causes everyone unnecessary stress and headaches.
    To many poor empire building managers around in certain functions. As a result brown nosing getting some people recognition. People claiming credit for other work and performance.
    Outside sales and customer facing functions a real lack of career development and advancement.
    In certain functions favourism is very evident which is hurting the business.
    Below par benefit scheme to industry standards.
    Compensation do not expect a pay rise anytime soon.
    Certain functions get a lot flack and blame, because there is easy to blame culture exists rather a culture of solving the problem and team work between functions.

Advice to Management

Have to become more agile, be more daring with decision making.
    Get closer to the teams on the ground, learn what is really happening in certain functions and not from middle managers who is some cases just protecting their job and little empires.

5. Great Awesome and Rewarding

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in London, England

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mutiple Growth Options Available, market leader.

Cons

Work pressure, Slow internal processes

6. Good product, but confused about it's identity with all the portfolios it sells

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentford, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentford, England

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits with this company are good. Easy to move within the company.

Cons

Too many sales headcount in the company, causing a lot of unnecessary internal competition. No streamlining of process between different products. The business operations team do not receive enough training. Unfortunately EMC in general are not very good at giving recognition where it's due to employees who work above and beyond week in, week out. Non-sales positions are underpaid. EMEA tends to be forgotten as US only focuses on themselves.

Advice to Management

Give more training and support to your team. Also, back up your employees when they are being pushed into a corner unfairly by sales. Be sure to keep you employees up to date with what is going on. Give R&R's to your employees for saving you from lawsuits! Make sure that EMEA is kept in the loop with new process changes from US!

7. Senior Programme Manager

I worked at EMC

Pros

autonomy, varying styles of leadership

Cons

compensation, mixed styles of leadership

8. Good company, need to bring change faster

Current Employee - Services Director
    Current Employee - Services Director

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong balance sheet, stable & secure company, charitable and encourages employees to do the same, gives back to local community, good benefits, reasonable career opportunities.

Cons

Very competitive culture, sometimes it feels as if it's an old boys club/network, management focused almost exclusively on numbers, quarterly driven behaviour

Advice to Management

Listen to your workforce and learn from their customer interactions

9. EMC is a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Associate Human Resources Generalist in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Human Resources Generalist in London, England

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am working for a growing company that is leading the 2nd Platform and is moving into the 3rd Platform. I have got the possibility to grow in my role with a great exposure. Everithing here is about performance and that is something that really motivate me in doing my best. I have the possibility to work with the best professionals in the sector, in a really friendly environment with lot of benefits and flexibility.

Cons

A 60.000 employees company that is always "looking forward". Everithing Must Change in EMC and you have to be able to work under pressure.

10. Take their employees for granted

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty decent. Once you have a job here, I think it's pretty hard to get let go.

Cons

There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well. There is very little room to be creative in marketing, and your day is taken up with conference calls and building PPTs rather than actually getting to action anything.

I've had several roles and politics get in the way of making things happen. Be prepared for things to move SLOW. And upper management has very little idea of what the "peons" are doing - even though they are working their butts off.

Advice to Management

Tell your team that you appreciate them. Be honest and upfront when there are changes happening in the organization. Give people autonomy to be creative. SCHEDULE FEWER CONFERENCE CALLS!!!

11. Good company to work for. good benefits

I have been working at EMC full-time

Pros

Good benefits package. stable environment.

Cons

Office locations are not great