ESPN

ESPN Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

ESPN President John Skipper

John Skipper

Pros
  • clearly the leader in sports media and technology and part of the Disney family (in 11 reviews)

• Great team, Awesome work life balance, Opportunity to learn (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The scale on Work/Life balance is definitely tilted toward work (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours and traveling was constant (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

ESPN- To Serve the Fan

Director of Programming (Former Employee) London, England

ProsI really enjoyed my time working with ESPN and Disney, especially in the London, England office. It was the best years of my career.

ConsMy division was downsized because of financial reason, which is fine, I accept the fact that it was a business.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend more people on training courses, I found my participation in Leadership Discovery very rewarding and still use aspects I learned almost everyday.

Great Brand, great experience

Programming (Former Employee) London, England

ProsWorking for the biggest sports TV company in the world can really only help your career. Their content is, with a few exceptions, among the very best. TWDC perks are not bad, although not significantly different from the media industry in general. Disney has a well developed internal training programme.

ConsVery little room for growth unless you're in Bristol, the London office struggled with personal and professional development. Remuneration levels are slightly below the industry standard as the consensus is "you should be happy to work in sports".

International division suffered from lack of leadership and there was very little connection between ESPN and Disney.

Working long hours and on weekends can to some extent be expected in a live sports environment, but remuneration should be adjusted accordingly.

Advice to Senior ManagementInternational division is now closed in the UK, so advice is not necessarily that relevant. Company should be more mindful of the markets outside of the US and re-evaluate the performance of some of the management team.

Great employees, political organisation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat staff members who are passionate and committed, and the ability to work in an environment dominated by sports - TVs on with the latest game, knowledgeable journalists in the office etc. Opportunity to work with a global team

ConsPolitical and bureaucratic, slow to make changes or keep up with market trends. Slow to remove under performers. In smaller markets, limited promotion opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove faster! Competitors advance much more quickly, and politics and bureaucracy slows down any initiatives to address this.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good People, but chaotic

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIt's expanding rapidly and there's plenty of opportunity to do as much work as you want to.

ConsNot enough people to do the amount of work needed.

Senior Manager

Senior Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsA great company. Good to their employees. Great benefits and incentives & activities.

Everything done there is an excellent product. The best it can be. One can take pride in that. I loved that about the company. It is a class act!

ConsIt's huge company so staffs work life can be dramatically difference. It can feel like you are in a non-stop factory if you are in production, 24/7/365. Some never having holidays or a 2 days weekend off (just 2 single days during the week). OR you can have a stressful and intense but not long hour job as I did. I was compensated very well. Schedules and hours can vary big time from group to group.

They will get you at the lowest salary that they can so get all you can in the beginning. Most people just jump on board to work for ESPN.

If you have to live in Bristol, CT. Well....it's Bristol, CT. Long cold snowy winters.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so afraid to get rid of upper management that is not good for the company and employees. Too many overpaid positions where people are doing very little and coasting along at the expense of the company, a head count doing nothing but the minimum and creating bad moral for those who report to them. Many people want to be excellent there. Let them and cut the others who seem untouchable for some reason.

Idea of working at ESPN way better than the Experience

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsWork with smart people
    Interesting products relevant to any sports fan

ConsZero Growth Opportunity
    Micro Managed
    Easily replaceable due to desirability of name
    Lack of transparency

world wide leader

Announcer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

Prosgreat place and SOOO fun

Consdont expect rapid advancement,, there is a lot of ;paying your dues'

Advice to Senior Managementjust keep on doiin what youre doin

Decent experience

Writer (Current Employee) Bristol, CT (US)

ProsESPN name is one that gets ur foot in doors.

ConsSame as most corporations now...stars get more dough, everyone else sort of fights for peanuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to think of workers as people, with families, and medical needs, not as ways to reduce the budget when you fire them, or pay them so-so wage.

Great place to work! Great people to work with!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsYoung people working hard and doing their best to succeed. Great work enviornment surronded by a "sportish" feeling. Lots of challanges to be faced.

ConsThe company is not its market leader in the country, which makes businees harder here. There is, somehow, a lack of established procedures which makes decision making more difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo whatever they can to be as big as ESPN is in the US in the local operation.

Very fun

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Bristol, CT (US)

ProsPeople are cool and management is relaxed. Hours are relaxed nobody looking down your throat counting minutes. Do a good job and people dont care how long you work.

ConsThere isnt much going on for a young person in the hartford/bristol area. Theres somewhat of a lack of structure from above, takes a very long time for big projects to develop

Worked for ESPN? Contribute to the Community!