ESPN Reviews

Updated 21 October 2014
3.9

ESPN President John Skipper
John Skipper

Pros
  • Perks, benefits, and they attempt work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• clearly the leader in sports media and technology and part of the Disney family (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to maintain work-life balance ( depending on your postion) (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours and traveling was constant (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Incredible place to work;

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A near-obsession with ensuring it is staying on the front edge of trends. Smart people everywhere. Crosses many industries and technologies. Appreciated even more when you spend time around other major media, tech and telecoms companies.

Cons

Not perfect - no place is. HQ location in semi-rural central CT is tough for many, and without question it does thrive on a culture and people that battle with work-life balance.

ESPN- To Serve the Fan

Former Employee - Director of Programming in London, England
    Former Employee - Director of Programming in London, England

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time working with ESPN and Disney, especially in the London, England office. It was the best years of my career.

Cons

My division was downsized because of financial reason, which is fine, I accept the fact that it was a business.

Send more people on training courses, I found my participation in Leadership Discovery very rewarding and still use aspects I learned almost everyday.

Great Brand, great experience

Former Employee - Programming in London, England
    Former Employee - Programming in London, England

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for the biggest sports TV company in the world can really only help your career. Their content is, with a few exceptions, among the very best. TWDC perks are not bad, although not significantly different from the media industry in general. Disney has a well developed internal training programme.

Cons

Very little room for growth unless you're in Bristol, the London office struggled with personal and professional development. Remuneration levels are slightly below the industry standard as the consensus is "you should be happy to work in sports".

International division suffered from lack of leadership and there was very little connection between ESPN and Disney.

Working long hours and on weekends can to some extent be expected in a live sports environment, but remuneration should be adjusted accordingly.

International division is now closed in the UK, so advice is not necessarily that relevant. Company should be more mindful of the markets outside of the US and re-evaluate the performance of some of the management team.

Great employees, political organisation

I worked at ESPN full-time

Pros

Great staff members who are passionate and committed, and the ability to work in an environment dominated by sports - TVs on with the latest game, knowledgeable journalists in the office etc. Opportunity to work with a global team

Cons

Political and bureaucratic, slow to make changes or keep up with market trends. Slow to remove under performers. In smaller markets, limited promotion opportunities.

Move faster! Competitors advance much more quickly, and politics and bureaucracy slows down any initiatives to address this.

Good People, but chaotic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

It's expanding rapidly and there's plenty of opportunity to do as much work as you want to.

Cons

Not enough people to do the amount of work needed.

customer service

I worked at ESPN part-time

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

none company was great to work for

keep doing what your are doing

Great experience as an intern with the Digital Marketing team

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at ESPN as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get a ton of exposure to the different digital products ESPN owns and through the exposure learn a lot about digital marketing as a whole. The people you work with are incredibly friendly and the company has a very casual work atmosphere. They really looked out for the interns and always offered help. I was never afraid to ask questions during a meeting and got a great understanding of the relationships between the marketing team, sales team and sports management team

Cons

The beginning was very slow. A lot of what you work on are things you learn as you go so in the beginning it can be difficult to understand what they expect from you. IT can be extremely slow if you have an issue.

Good environment and great experience

I worked at ESPN as a contractor

Pros

Great people and environment, especially if you like sports and that world. Casual work environment and many perks to the job.

Cons

Some times tasks or matters can be handled more efficiently. I generally think experience plays a large in figuring those things out.

Sports Dream Job

Current Employee - Statistics Analyst in Bristol, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Statistics Analyst in Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working at ESPN has a lot of perks. You are part of thee preeminent sports company in the world and the opportunities to work in a number of career paths are broad. Depending on your job, you get to work with many celebrities and former athletes. You also get the benefits of being a Disney cast member (complementary entrance to theme parks and discounts on anything Disney).

Cons

Being a 24-hour, 7-day a week operation means that you will likely work nights and weekends. ESPN is the final destination for many in the sports field and because of that, I believe they are able to pay less in salary since interest working at ESPN is always in high demand.

Increase pay to entry-level and those who do most of the work under management. You'll see a better product and happier staff.

ESPN is a great place to work

Current Employee - Business Intelligence in Bristol, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence in Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People care about you as a person instead of just work. Everyone is happy and genuinely nice around "Bristol Campus"

Cons

Bristol is boring besides ESPN