ESPN

Updated 21 November 2014
3.9

ESPN President John Skipper
John Skipper

Pros
  • Perks, benefits, and they attempt work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• clearly the leader in sports media and technology and part of the Disney family (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to maintain work-life balance ( depending on your postion) (in 15 reviews)

• Long hours and traveling was constant (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

X Games Event Staff

Former Employee - Event Staff in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Event Staff in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at ESPN as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Volunteerism and philanthropy are highly valued here.

Cons

The X Games left LA for Austin, TX.

Hopeful the X Games will someday return to Los Angeles, CA.

Production Intern

Current Employee - Production Intern in Bristol, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Production Intern in Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Coming to work everyday is exciting, offers excellent benefits, top-notch facilities, and unrivaled opportunity for networking in the sports industry.

Cons

Consumes your life, promotions are difficult to come by unless you are very long tenured, it's a corporation and while it sounds glamorous it is a job.

ESPN has an incredible amount of smart and talented employees, but is the bloom coming off the rose?

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

clearly the leader in sports media and technology and part of the Disney family

Cons

organization can feel siloed and you can see the impact of the pressures of the increased competition in the sports media landscape

Skipper has done a solid job so far, but some of the cultural strength of the organization left with Bodenheimer.

Nice place to work

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you love sports, this is the place to work. We cover sports in a way that no one else can and the work we do is pretty amazing, most of the time. Its also a fun place to work with good people.

Cons

The Bristol location can be difficult, unless you want to live in CT. Can't commute there from the city, so if you want to be in the city, the only possible jobs are in marketing, research and ad sales. Most everything else is in Bristol. Two other cons are salary (because so many want to work here, there's little incentive for the company to pay well) and no leaves, so career advancement can be slow.

Senior management needs to look at advancement, promotions, rewards a little more creatively. And I also feel that we don't do enough to cross-pollinate people and ensure that as you progress in the company you get a broad understanding of the business.

It's not just a job ... it's your life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People look at you in awe when you tell them you work at ESPN. A great place to hone your skills. Most people are willing to teach you anything they know.

Cons

Recognition doesn't always come from what you do. A lot depends on who you know and how well you praise them. The scale on Work/Life balance is definitely tilted toward work. Its very hard to do balance life when work takes up your life 24/7

Incredible brand to be associated with.

Current Employee - Affiliate Sales & Marketing
    Current Employee - Affiliate Sales & Marketing

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Offer some of the greatest media products and brands, and has, and uses, their leverage to get distribution. Everyone will return your call.

Cons

Club-like setting of old-boys network. Non-insiders will not be advanced and club members will be protected in any downsizing, regardless of talent or value to business advancement. Unfortunately employees quickly find that your career will be better served by making friends with the right group and assuring that you cover yourself, than trying to move the business forward. Definitely a second set of rules and evaluations for employees that are connected to the original Bristol thread. An unusually large percentage of management have poor people management skills.

Refresh management on media networks side.

I used to love it here, but Senior leadership is a mess.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Bristol, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, TVs in your cube/office, excellent facilities (except for some buildings -- like North Campus). Being owned by Disney has it's perks (free movie screenings and Disney parks discounts). Lots of celeb/athlete sightings on Main Campus.

Cons

Constantly re-orging and changing job roles to serve little purpose. Sometimes the company tends to chase the "shiny object" rather than coming up with a strategy and sticking with it.

They're not afraid to fail but they're also not thinking things through at that top level of leadership. It can often crush morale and make for a toxic work environment (depending on the personalities).

I really want to love working here again (I genuinely did for more than a few years) but they need to get their act together if they want to recruit and keep the top talent.

Alright place to work with negatives

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT (US)

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

pay, childcare, benefits, café, grounds

Cons

ethically challenged management at times

Great perks but old-school company

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at ESPN was a great experience allowing for a lot of exposure to the sports industry. Meet athletes, go to award shows, see the X-games - all great experiences. I worked in digital and it was an exciting part of the company - lots of cool and interesting collaborations with brands happening here.

Cons

The company is owned by Disney. As such, it's a pretty old school company. There is a lot of slow moving bureaucracy and out-dated policies - at least when I was working there. I think it definitely largely depends on the clients you have, the market you work in and the product. ESPN can be a great company but sometimes the division of teams doesn't set one up for success. You also need to be great at internal politics to move up.

Content

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at ESPN part-time (less than an year)

Pros

nice campus, people are friendly

Cons

has a college campus feel.. may be a con for some