Eastman Chemical

Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa

Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Eastman is a unique place that values work-life balance and giving back to the community(in 41 reviews)

• Pay packages are competitive, especially when you take into account the low cost of living in Kingsport(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges(in 23 reviews)

• Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process(in 20 reviews)

Great company with a lot of opportunity!

Corporate Professional (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsCulture/People
    Growth of company
    Adaptation to changing environment
    Great steward of the communities in which it operates

ConsSometimes decisions can be slow to finalize; however, mostly this is due to the 'collaborative' culture. Sometimes, having fewer decision makers will speed up the timing with the end result being the same, if not better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being supportive of respectfully challeging upward. This has led to many great and innovative ideas. All because someone asked the question "Why?".

Trustworthy, technically excellent company with a sound plan for the future

Technical Associate (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsPeople work together to achieve the greater company goals; you work with trustworthy people - if they say they will do something, they will; flex schedules are allowed whenever possible; management actively works to train and develop people.

ConsFeedback on performance is once/quarter at best. Reduced schedules (less than full-time work) are generally reserved for those with family responsibilities or retirees that are hired for specific company needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo encourage innovation, repeatedly communicate details of successful new products - How was the opportunity identified? Who had to be on the team? What was the path to success? Include info on learning from failures and overcoming discouragement. Continue to set a clear vision of the path forward and recognize those that are taking chances to get there.

Consider allowing professional employees approaching retirement age (55 and up) to work part time for a set period of time. This would allow for smoother backfill transitions for the company.

Great place for a long career.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsOver the long haul, the company has continuously worked to have an ethical, high valued, quality culture. This for the most part makes the company a great place to work.

ConsIt is not a company with much opportunity to live in a large metro area. Most locations are smaller communities which is both a positive and a negative. It depends upon your view.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to act humbly and to plan for the long term.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growth company that puts safety first, has an inviting culture, and headquartered in a great community.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsThe Eastman culture is by far the best I have ever experienced. The commitment to safety is extraordinary. The focus on growth and innovation is impressive and exciting. The opportunities for professional growth is greatly supported. The diverse workforce works well together at common goals. The headquarter is located in a pleasant community that is family friendly, offers many special activities, and has many great educational systems.

ConsOccasionally, meetings are overwhelming and hinder contributing to the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue appreciating the culture, community, and people as each are a great asset to the company.

Highly ethical company with a strong growth strategy.

ProsOpportunities to work with committed, passionant, capable co-workers. Also, Eastman is in the midst of executing on a strong growth strategy so new opportunities are frequently available. Most businesses and functions are centralized in East TN which offers a low cost of living, good schools, great outdoor recreational opportunities, and close proximity to larger cities like Knoxville, Charlotte, Nashville, and Atlanta.

ConsIf you desire to live in a big city atmosphere then your opportunities within Eastman Chemical will be limited. Also, company provided benefits (e.g. health care, vacation) are "middle of the pack" when compared with other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on improved company provided benefits as a way to continue to attract and retain top talent.

Life at work is good

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsEastman has a good work/family balance. It's a good feeling to know I can take time to work with family concerns when needed.

ConsNot all management has an extended family and are not as flexable with their employees when it comes to work/family balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in someones shoes to see if you like the work/family balance.

Collaborative culture that values work/life balance

Marketing (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsVery collaborative, supporting, freindly, team-oriented culture. Great work/life balance. HQ set in a location very easy to work and live in. Rapid growth. Lots of emphasis on future. Emphasis on employee health and wellness.

ConsConsiderable fragmentation in businesses, as they are aligned with manufacturing processes rather than end-markets

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good work up!

Growth company fueled by dedicated people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsThe company is very focused on growth and productivity which can only help us in the long-run. Within the first day that you work for Eastman, you realize that this company is more than just that, it's a family. It doesn't take long to feel like a part of the "Eastman Team" and develop ties to this company. The people are great and very dedicated not just to their job, but also to their colleagues.

ConsThe company places a lot of value on employees with engineering degrees. If you're a new hire, or even a senior employee, if you don't have an engineering degree, you have to work twice as hard to prove your worth.

Human Company looking not just on results also HOW you get the results

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

ProsWithout doubt our culture is what makes difference since each of us is involved in follow good behaviors, ethic code, sustainability, safety, wellness. Is incredible how good your can feel in a company the covers all aspects to get a balance between personal and profesional life; and of course this is reflected in good results.

ConsWe have many procedures to follow up, some of them require too much time. But this year we are working in a productivity initiative.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement it too involved with all levels in the company. Their is an open communication, and good example to follow up.

Not your everyday chemical company!!

Market Insight and Strategy Specialist (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsExcellent culture; great benefits; challenging/value added work

ConsHuge organization; lots of information to master

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!