Eastman Chemical

Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa

Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Eastman is a unique place that values work-life balance and giving back to the community(in 39 reviews)

• Pay packages are competitive, especially when you take into account the low cost of living in Kingsport(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges(in 23 reviews)

• Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process(in 19 reviews)

Growth company that puts safety first, has an inviting culture, and headquartered in a great community.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsThe Eastman culture is by far the best I have ever experienced. The commitment to safety is extraordinary. The focus on growth and innovation is impressive and exciting. The opportunities for professional growth is greatly supported. The diverse workforce works well together at common goals. The headquarter is located in a pleasant community that is family friendly, offers many special activities, and has many great educational systems.

ConsOccasionally, meetings are overwhelming and hinder contributing to the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue appreciating the culture, community, and people as each are a great asset to the company.

Wonderful Place to Work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsEastman is committed to work/life balance, as well as safety. Benefits & Compensation are competitive. Eastman provides a wonderfully diverse culture. I enjoy meeting new people everyday and working with an exceptional group of people.

ConsBusiness Support personnel do not receive any paid sick leave so if you miss any work due to unforeseen health reasons then you must file short term disability. It would be nice if they offered a set amount of hours a year for paid sick time before an employee would need to contact the employee service center for short term disability compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Highly ethical company with a strong growth strategy.

ProsOpportunities to work with committed, passionant, capable co-workers. Also, Eastman is in the midst of executing on a strong growth strategy so new opportunities are frequently available. Most businesses and functions are centralized in East TN which offers a low cost of living, good schools, great outdoor recreational opportunities, and close proximity to larger cities like Knoxville, Charlotte, Nashville, and Atlanta.

ConsIf you desire to live in a big city atmosphere then your opportunities within Eastman Chemical will be limited. Also, company provided benefits (e.g. health care, vacation) are "middle of the pack" when compared with other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on improved company provided benefits as a way to continue to attract and retain top talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Life at work is good

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsEastman has a good work/family balance. It's a good feeling to know I can take time to work with family concerns when needed.

ConsNot all management has an extended family and are not as flexable with their employees when it comes to work/family balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in someones shoes to see if you like the work/family balance.

Collaborative culture that values work/life balance

Marketing (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsVery collaborative, supporting, freindly, team-oriented culture. Great work/life balance. HQ set in a location very easy to work and live in. Rapid growth. Lots of emphasis on future. Emphasis on employee health and wellness.

ConsConsiderable fragmentation in businesses, as they are aligned with manufacturing processes rather than end-markets

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good work up!

Growth company fueled by dedicated people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsThe company is very focused on growth and productivity which can only help us in the long-run. Within the first day that you work for Eastman, you realize that this company is more than just that, it's a family. It doesn't take long to feel like a part of the "Eastman Team" and develop ties to this company. The people are great and very dedicated not just to their job, but also to their colleagues.

ConsThe company places a lot of value on employees with engineering degrees. If you're a new hire, or even a senior employee, if you don't have an engineering degree, you have to work twice as hard to prove your worth.

Human Company looking not just on results also HOW you get the results

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

ProsWithout doubt our culture is what makes difference since each of us is involved in follow good behaviors, ethic code, sustainability, safety, wellness. Is incredible how good your can feel in a company the covers all aspects to get a balance between personal and profesional life; and of course this is reflected in good results.

ConsWe have many procedures to follow up, some of them require too much time. But this year we are working in a productivity initiative.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement it too involved with all levels in the company. Their is an open communication, and good example to follow up.

This is the best place where I've ever worked.

Director (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsPeople at Eastman are willing to help you with whatever project you're working on. I've never felt such a team spirit at any other company. Also, whether its someone in manufacturing or someone in a business office, everyone seems to be focused on the same things to move the company forward

ConsCompetition from companies in other countries continues to increase and increase quickly. It's sometimes hard to stay ahead or even keep up. Plus the company has grown quite a bit in the last 3-5 years and alot of change has occurred. The changes haven't necessarily been bad, but there's been constant change.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider the performance review program. It could hurt the team spirit and team attitude if employees start having to compete with each other. We need to be a team and focus on competing with outsiders-- not competing with our own colleagues for a bigger bonus or promotion.

Company that Cares

Engineer (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsWith a large company comes various job opportunities. At the largest sites, you can move into different job functions and never have to physically uproot your family. Eastman is working hard to do their part to minimize industry's impact on the environment. Eastman is very supportive of family and promotes good work-life balance.

ConsSeveral outside upper level managers are being brought in who don't understand the "family" culture that Eastman has had for many years. However, some are trying to understand it and make positive changes and improvements.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because some other company is doing it doesnt make it the right thing for Eastman. Remember that your employees are your number one asset.

Nice people, interesting work, great quality of life

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsEastman has values that align with my own. The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee. Eastman emphasizes work-life balance and allows a flexible work schedule (for most roles). Everyone is friendly and helpful and the company provides an atmosphere that values teamwork.

ConsAs a young person, Eastern Tennessee was not the first location that came to mind when I thought of where I would be working, but the benefits and experiences you get working for Eastman make it worth it.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!