Eastman Chemical

Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa

Mark J. Costa

Pros:
  • "Eastman overall makes a sincere effort to provide a work/life balance for employees"
    in 26 reviews
  • "It is truly a can-do work environment where you can always count on your co-worker"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges"
    in 26 reviews
  • "The decision making process can take a little longer than at other companies"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ok

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPays bills, what else do u need?

ConsNot too much to do

Advice to Senior ManagementListen carefully

This place is going downhill...fast

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 8 years

ProsUsed to be a great place to work. Now, eh.

ConsToo much politics. We are asked to speak up, but when we do, watch out! Life at Eastman will never be the same, and it's not a good change.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll this talk about productivity and speaking up to make it better. Are you for real? There are consequences that come with speaking up. You need to make sure that those on the Executive Team and down understand what is meant and no consequences are to happen. Otherwise, you'll never get what you are asking. I know. I learned the hard way.

A company full of opportunities, learning and growth

Analytics Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEastman is not a company I would have expected to end up working for given I'm originally from the other end of the country, but it's a company I can't imagine leaving. I have a young son, so work/life balance is important for me and it's something I experience. The group I originally hired into was very much like a surrogate family, even coming to visit my wife when she was in the hospital and they even helped me move. When my previous group leader's grandfather passed away, we bought and planted a tree at his home for him.

Eastman has a strong culture of learning and collaboration. Since I've joined the company I've learned several new programming languages and statistical techniques, driven by my own interest but with support and recognition from my management. The culture is also data driven, but with room for additional growth.

Eastman has recognized and rewarded the meaningful accomplishments and contributions I've made but without a feeling of competition. I love that there's an individual contributor advancement track so you don't have to go into management to get more responsibility/pay/recognition.

ConsPay doesn't feel competitive when just comparing job titles (although the cost of living does help mitigate this). If you're not a Tennessee Vols or Virginia Tech fan, don't try and talk football.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive the use of data and analytics in making decisions.

The best place to work

Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee)
Kingsport, TN (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical as an intern for more than a year

ProsI worked at the Kingsport headquarters, and the diversity of opportunities there are wonderful! But hands down, the best thing is the people--the best you could ask for.

ConsLocated in Kingsport, TN, which is great for outdoor activities (that I love!), but is a small city.

Advice to Senior ManagementFuel more research

Great place to work.

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
Kingsport, TN (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical as an intern for less than a year

ProsEmployees are very nice and helpful.

ConsKingsport can be a boring city.

Transition... This ship does not turn on a dime!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStrong culture of safety. Establishing a vision and long term strategy. Mid to upper level directors and manager are seasoned and know the ropes (in most cases). Strong balance sheet with inorganic growth vision that will bring non-tradition opportunities for Eastman.

ConsTransitioning to new Leadership Team (CEO, COO, CTO) back filling with seasoned internal candidates that have never had to make the tough decisions. CEO influence will dominating the near to long term vision (He is an consultant / outsider view) that has surrounded himself with "Yes" people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDebate with facts and figures that shapes the vision.

Great experience, but not for me

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
Kingsport, TN (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany is devoted to personal and professional development of the employees. Five star company to work for.

ConsJust my personal preference, but I did not enjoy working inside the plant itself. It is dirty and loud. Others may not have an issue with this but I did. Also, when hired in to the job, I did not have a full understanding of what my job responsibilities would be. I did not get a chance to see my office or get a good feel of what the day to day activities would be like. Had I seen those things, I probably would not have taken the position. It wasn't a good fit for me. Also, as an electrical engineer, the role was looked at as support, rather than lead. Looking at management, most of those people have a chemical or mechanical background since those roles drive the company. It's difficult for an electrical person to get noticed, but not impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the employees that you hire are put in a position that they enjoy.

Great Company to work for!

Team Manager (Current Employee)
Martinsville, VA (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat core values that are upheld.

ConsNone to mention, great company.

Use to be a great company to work for but has been raped of most good things

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAbout the only game in town. Pays slightly above average but local companies are catching up quickly.

ConsAverage worker extremely under valued and often referred to as useless pawns that can be replaced at any time. Huge pay differential from salaried positions to operations roll employees. No incentive for operations roll employees to do anything other than show up because the Old bonus system was given to the upper echelon and replaced with a VIP (variable incentive plan) that amounts to basically a weeks pay. Not fair or equitable as lower management and above share the take and give nothing to the employees doing the work. Made more real money 20 years ago. Sad the direction this company is going by taking away benefits and decent pay. 20 years ago you could not pay someone to say anything bad about Eastman. Now, only employees rating company higher are either paid or scared.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the foot soldiers, as they are truly the backbone of the company. VIP award is a joke with the performance we have had recently.

takes years to move to abetter position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

Prostime for personal life, constant meetings, good working tools to employees, usually take time to

Conseverything is so standarized that trying to innovate on a procedure is almost unachievable, unless the new talent is ready to wait years for a promotion, employees will go.

Advice to Senior Managementthink of ways to not loose talented people. Heads up for HR to check out working atmosphere

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eastman Chemical reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Eastman Chemical CEO Mark J. Costa. All 472 reviews are posted anonymously by Eastman Chemical employees.