Eastman Chemical

Updated 22 November 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 80 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

A good company beginning to follow industries norms to hurt the employees: An engineers perspective.

Current Employee - Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Until recently Eastman has been an extremely stable place to work. In fact in the last two weeks I went to to 40 year's at Eastman anniversary parties. The starting pay is competitive. The work life balance is good. The area around Eastman is relatively inexpensive to live in. There are lots of opportunities for training and personal development. Overall, I like my job and enjoy Eastman.

Cons

In order to grow as a company Eastman has adopted common industry practices that are making it less attractive to work for. Recent times have seen drastic cuts in budgets and mediocre raises and bonus even though last we had record profits and exceeded expectations. Also, unless you are one of a select few, don't expect fast promotions or movement into management. Eastman attracts people by providing starting salaries slightly higher than its competitors, but keeps costs down be promoting slow and with mediocre raises. There is no other place like Eastman in the area, so you would have to move to find another decent engineering job.

Care more about the employee than the shareholder. You can be a successful profitable company and keep your employees happy and paid well. If you do then maybe other companies will follow suit and start building back the middle class.

It has been a good paying job and has help me raise a family but I have never wanted my children to work here.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in East Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in East Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is good but benefits have declined steadly over my 30 year career.Never had an opportunity for promotion tried for years but could not overcome the politics of the job. Training and experience meant very little least of all senority.

Cons

Middle and first line supervision its only a numbers game with them my experience was they were always looking for the next promotion or raise. My area was cut so close to the bone overtime is required just to do whats expected on a daily basis. LSE's don't even want to come back that's one example why they( left) retired in the first place. And the people responsible just keep getting by with it nothing is ever said no matter how bad morale is.We had one person leave the company to take a lesser paying job when you have a supervisor threaten to fire you in a public place and makes people feel worthless it gets old. That's just a few examples my question is "Is anybody ever going to care abut the people that makes this place run (hourly workers) 25 yrs. ago we meant something to this company but now we are just stepping stones!"

Upper manangement should be more aware of how plant roll employees are treated.I do want you to know that I'm thankful for my job and I have made a good living. I will continue to do my very best but the culture that we had when I hired in has been destroyed. I must give credit though to the new division I am in now they seem to care more about their people.I am Thankful!

Valuable Experience

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and culture of Eastman are great. It means a lot to like the people you work with in such a friendly and collaborative atmosphere. Safety is foremost in everything and that is also comforting. I feel I was compensated well and the benefits were competitive with what is being offered now a days. I feel that my time here was a valuable experience and will be important to my future career path.

I really like Kingsport and all the area has to offer. If you enjoy the outdoors this is a great hub for hiking, backpacking, camping, hunting, etc. The downtown is also being revitalized and there an increasing number of things to do for young professionals in the area.

Cons

I see the relative performance evaluation as causing people to be more competitive than collaborative. The culture is starting to change and not in a good way.

My spouse was never able to find a job in the area (including Eastman, as he is also an engineer), having interviewed several times and was never able to get any feedback. Had he found a job in the area, I most likely would have stayed with Eastman for the long haul.

It's a great company that offers great work/life balance

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You'll find many high-quality individuals that are truly team-oriented and you don't tend to work with many people who are only out for themselves.

Cons

The promotions tend to be few and far between. The benefits continue to get worse over time. Pay is not as good as you would find at some other employers.

The new performance rating system is hurting morale and does not add to employee performance. It should be scrapped immediately.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are job opportunities throughout the company that allows employees to build on their knowledge by getting to work in different areas through out their career at Eastman. Everyone has the same goal - to make Eastman a successful company.

Cons

Once you top out in your bracket there are no other promotion levels and to move into another bracket is very difficult.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The employees have a strong work ethic with a focus on working safely.

Cons

As seems to be a trend across the industry, benefits have declined over the years. Ultimate insurance costs for the employee continues to rise while compensation for the average employee seems to struggle to keep up with the escalating cost of living.

Maintain a strong focus on benefits and compensation for all employees. These two items will determine our ability to continue to attract and maintain top talent.

You get a sense that you are part of a family.

Current Employee - Electrician in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Electrician in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company continues to be successful after (what will soon be) 100 years, which is very impressive in todays world. In my opinion other companies should observe Eastman in how they make each employee feel important, because I feel like this in itself drives a team effort that simply works. Eastman has a good relationship with the community in Kingsport which is also important.

Cons

This is a heavy industrial plant, so a lot of the buildings isn't exactly like a walk in the park, very hot in the summer.

Heath insurance is getting really bad, I know it's getting worse everywhere.

Eastman practices its mantra of making decisions based on fundamental principles.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Focused on excellence. Provides challenging assignments. Believes strongly in developing people. Focused on innovative approaches to problem solving. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Sets very high, sometimes unrealistic expectations.

Don't just kick the tires - check under the hood - when executing M&A and let it effect your price.
    Don't let the tail wag the dog.

Team players wanted!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman is a great place to work because of the employees. Employees here are team oriented, always trying to do what is right for each other and what is right for our customers.

Cons

We work a lot of hours, but that's true everywhere these days.

Amazing experience!

Former Employee - Pilot Plant Intern in Longview, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Pilot Plant Intern in Longview, TX (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Mid-size company that allows great hands-on experience and learning. The people and culture are amazing! Anyone and everyone is willing to help.

Cons

There were not many cons. Only con that I can think of is the location, but if you like East Texas, then by all means go ahead and apply to Eastman.