Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Eastman is a unique place that values work-life balance and giving back to the community (in 41 reviews)

• Pay packages are competitive, especially when you take into account the low cost of living in Kingsport (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges (in 23 reviews)

• Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Truly outstanding place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Eastman is one of those rare companies that "does the right thing". They're a genuinely ethical company that treats their employees well, manages their operations well, and believes in being a good neighbor. I've worked at several different companies in my career, and I've finally found the place I can retire from.

Although I occasionally hear complaints about the compensation package, I think it's very competitive. What I make in Kingsport would be competitive even in the Northeast where I'm originally from. Eastman is also very generous in giving employees paid time away from work for charitable activities like the United Way and National Engineer's Week, and there are a lot of opportunities for training both internally and externally.

Last but not least is that the company is doing well financially. I come to work each day with the confidence that my job will be here tomorrow and the day after that. When I worked in other industries that was not always the case.

Cons

Tennessee Operations is a huge place and there is a strong tendency to get pigeonholed. You really need to work to make yourself visible if you want to move around or be promoted. The other drawback is that East Tennessee is not for everyone. If you like the outdoors it's a great place to live. If you are looking for more urban amenties, it's definitely not the place for you. Johnson City is a little better than Kingsport but not much. I miss things like professional sports teams, diverse restaurants, and options for nightlife.

Do more to develop your youngest and newest employees. There is a tendency for division and department management to see them as functionaries rather than future leaders within Eastman. Also, do more to spread the culture at Kingsport to other plants. I've had a lot of contact with the smaller plants, and many of them still have a labor vs. management culture which really needs to change.

Great Work Environment

Current Employee - Principal Chemist  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Chemist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Eastman offers a great work/life balance. The work is challenging and there are opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

Eastman is a large company, so prioritizing projects can be challenging.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

Growing company with many opportunities for recent college graduates. During my time at Eastman the company has invested in many personal development and technical trainings to enhance my effectiveness at work. As far as location, East Tennessee is very scenic and has lots of outdoor activities and is in driving distance to many metropolitan cities.

Cons

Culture is very change averse and decisions are no made as quick as I would like.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Eastman - Providing a great career since 1978

Current Employee - Senior Research Chemist  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Chemist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The Company listens to each employee and often acts on your concerns and suggestions. You always feel like a valuable resource to Eastman, and numerous recognition opportunities exist within the Company. Safety is the number one priority, and it has been estimated that you are 20 times safer when at work than when you go home for the evening! New ideas that have merit are encouraged and empowerment is the rule rather than the exception when an employee choses to pursue a validated idea.

Cons

None worth mentioning other than normal administrative snags periodically.

Keep doing what you've been doing!

I never thought it was possible to be so happy at my workplace.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

The environment is wonderful. Everyone is so friendly and helpful for both new and experienced employees alike. There is strong emphasis on training and developing a broad skillset. Schedules are also flexible, and management is understanding when real-life situation arise. Along these same lines, work/life balance is much better than many other competitive companies.

Cons

As with any large-scale company, career advancement can be a challenge. Lateral movement is often the only means of changing responsibilities and positions.

It gives my great pride to work for a company that is so involved with the community that surrounds the company.

Current Employee - Quality Technician
    Current Employee - Quality Technician

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Community involvement, world class organization, people are caring, pay is excellent, continual investment into the company's future, the drive to always get better.

Cons

Eastman is grwoing rapidly, and that causes lots of change.

Keep pushing toward continual improvement, but be concious of how that push affects the employees

Great place to work. .I have been with company 36 yrs and going to work a few more.

Current Employee - Procurement Representative  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Procurement Representative in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Personal growth is supported. Treat everyone wirh repect.

Cons

I have no cons. Great place to work.

Keep up good work.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful people to work with and to work for! Eastman also provides plenty of training/experiences needed for you to do your job well!

Cons

Kingsport is a more rural area and is sometimes hard for younger generations to adapt to if they are looking for a bigger city feel.

Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company is very supportive of its employees. The culture is built around safety and a commitment to excellence. The training is second to none. The company is also very supportive of the surrounding communities. The employees are hardworking and dedicated to producing high quality goods. The Executive Team at Eastman Chemical promotes a culture of respect and accountability. This respect is funneled down to the first line supervisors and their entry level employees. Overall it has been a very rewarding career.

Cons

The economy has put a strain on the company's budget and has limited the employees benefits. The bottom line has to be met, but at what cost to the employees. I have only recently been concerned about the direction of our companies benefit package. I am still grateful for my job at Eastman.

Proud to work for this company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to start a career and learn about business. The culture is inviting and helpful. Questions are usually welcomed, so all can learn quickly. Short commutes and no traffic if you live and work in Kingsport.

Cons

Not much cultural or ethnic diversity in Kingsport. Hard to move up the ranks at Eastman if you don't have a supportive first-line supervisor.

Don't put so much emphasis on "experienced" hires. You're missing great talent right under your nose to bring in expensive hires who might not even be a good fit.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!