Eastman Chemical

Updated 15 December 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 79 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, diverse work opportunities, ethical culture

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman people are friendly, helpful, and always glad to share their knowledge and experience. Work schedules for most of us allow good work/life balance. At world headquarters in Kingsport, TN, there are opportunities to work in a huge variety of work assignments without having to relocate or change employers, so you need never grow bored or underchallenged. I go home each day feeling like I've made a difference for the good of other people (and myself). The pay is good, especially considering the low, small-city cost of living. Home-wise, we get the best of all worlds because the Tri-Cities has everything most of us need or want, and there are several good-sized (but not large or crime-ridden) cities within a few hours' drive for those who want bigger-city opportunities on weekends. Eastman is a good neighbor, helping fund local events and fully supporting the United Way, among other efforts.

Cons

The good work-life balance doesn't reach everybody; some business people are attached to their i-phones 24/7, and operators mostly work swing shifts which are hard on the body and mind. Benefits have eroded over the years (but are still good compared to other employers). "Benchmarking" seems to mean all peer companies are in a downward spiral as the best companies make a mad race to mediocrity, bringing the average down. There seem to be artificial caps on promotions so on average, it is a long time between merit reclassifications.

Benchmark against the best instead of the average, when deciding whether your pay and benefits are where they need to be.

Strong company w/ old school culture

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longview, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longview, TX (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great Pay
    -Great People
    -Challenging Work
    -Honest
    -Great Benefits!

Cons

-In my two+ years a lot of changes occurred at all levels. Created a tough working environment at times.
    -The facilities and labs need major upgrading.

Good company

Current Employee - Chemical Operations in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Operations in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

goodpay and hard work always

Cons

changing, added lots of young people

Longevity

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

I have been working with Eastman for over 20years in from entry level engineering to management. I have had opportunities to travel, learn and grow personally and professionally. The training and support given to the employees is superb. Throughout my career, I have given freedom and support to pick up the ball and run. Compensation is above average for the area. Eastman employees pride themselves on being ethical and hardworking.

Cons

Recent changes in benefits have the net effect of a pay cut. Senior leadership seems out of touch with the manufacturing employee and come across as egomaniacs. . We are a manufacturing company not a sales and marketing company but doesn't feel that way sometimes.

Over the years, senior leadership has changed from home grown to store bought. Along with that has come great commercial success but there is growing rift between the business leaders and the manufacturing world. Its a tough balance I know but there is lots of talk about people being our number one resource but feel like it only applies to those outside of manufacturing. How about showing some more humility in leadership?

Great Company to Work for but There are Always Improvement Opportunities

Current Employee - Second Level Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Second Level Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has strong leadership and stategy/direction. Safety is given a very high priority.
    Opportunities to change roles/career paths without leaving the company.

Cons

Relative perfromance initiative is not very well defined or executed. This program has also been somewhat detrimental to the team culture that Eastman has historically had.
    It is very difficult to adequately reward plant roll employees for outstanding performance, but management is significantly rewarded for slightly above average performance.
    Although honesty and integrity are highly valued, some levels of management have difficult time shooting straight. They will sugar coat things or not fully communicate the details behind decisions.

Benchmark and target the best companies with regards to benefits, etc.
    Do not become so focused on fast tracking young employees that you forget mid level managers in the middle of their careers who helped get you there.

Great place to leave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinsville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinsville, VA (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

Almost everything is great !

Cons

More super experienced bureaucrats like R&D Manager at Martinsville, a virtuoso of safety meetings !

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are job opportunities throughout the company that allows employees to build on their knowledge by getting to work in different areas through out their career at Eastman. Everyone has the same goal - to make Eastman a successful company.

Cons

Once you top out in your bracket there are no other promotion levels and to move into another bracket is very difficult.

Valuable Experience

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and culture of Eastman are great. It means a lot to like the people you work with in such a friendly and collaborative atmosphere. Safety is foremost in everything and that is also comforting. I feel I was compensated well and the benefits were competitive with what is being offered now a days. I feel that my time here was a valuable experience and will be important to my future career path.

I really like Kingsport and all the area has to offer. If you enjoy the outdoors this is a great hub for hiking, backpacking, camping, hunting, etc. The downtown is also being revitalized and there an increasing number of things to do for young professionals in the area.

Cons

I see the relative performance evaluation as causing people to be more competitive than collaborative. The culture is starting to change and not in a good way.

My spouse was never able to find a job in the area (including Eastman, as he is also an engineer), having interviewed several times and was never able to get any feedback. Had he found a job in the area, I most likely would have stayed with Eastman for the long haul.

It's a great company that offers great work/life balance

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You'll find many high-quality individuals that are truly team-oriented and you don't tend to work with many people who are only out for themselves.

Cons

The promotions tend to be few and far between. The benefits continue to get worse over time. Pay is not as good as you would find at some other employers.

The new performance rating system is hurting morale and does not add to employee performance. It should be scrapped immediately.

Great place to work and grow!

Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are the best thing about working at Eastman! It's a supportive network that will help you learn and grow throughout your career. They genuinely care about your development. Ethical Chemical company isn't an oxymoron here. There's a big emphasis on safety and the sustainability movement is growing.

Cons

It seems to be difficult to attract diversity to the area, where more than 95% of the Tri-Cities area consists of non-hispanic whites.