Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 80 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Eastman practices its mantra of making decisions based on fundamental principles.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Focused on excellence. Provides challenging assignments. Believes strongly in developing people. Focused on innovative approaches to problem solving. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Sets very high, sometimes unrealistic expectations.

Don't just kick the tires - check under the hood - when executing M&A and let it effect your price.
    Don't let the tail wag the dog.

Team players wanted!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman is a great place to work because of the employees. Employees here are team oriented, always trying to do what is right for each other and what is right for our customers.

Cons

We work a lot of hours, but that's true everywhere these days.

Amazing experience!

Former Employee - Pilot Plant Intern in Longview, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Pilot Plant Intern in Longview, TX (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Mid-size company that allows great hands-on experience and learning. The people and culture are amazing! Anyone and everyone is willing to help.

Cons

There were not many cons. Only con that I can think of is the location, but if you like East Texas, then by all means go ahead and apply to Eastman.

Eastman is a growing company that cares about me and my peers.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman's care for its employees is evident in the core values (Safety expectations, Fair Treatment, Eastman Advantage), employee development (including leadership development) and focus on wellness / work-life balance.

Cons

Growth is very positive. However, with growth there is resource dilution and increased complexities (existing comprensation strategies may not fit every area that Eastman in which has empolyees, etc.) which must be managed.

See above.

My scepticism proved wrong - the Eastman team is the key

Current Employee - Finance in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Finance in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Though Eastman has been going thru several acquisitions recently putting extra work on many employees, they remain open, friendly and always willing to help. Management sets the tone and repeatedly emphasizes importance of Safety & Wellbeing in addition to other Core Values. Strategy of the Company is well communicated and there are plenty exciting job opportunities.

Cons

Eastman is located in North-East Tennessee with limited access to small, family owned restaurants and entertainment opportunities you are used to from a bigger city. However, the approximity to the Smokies, the beach and many historical places is awesome for outdoor activities and travels.

Consider integration efforts beyond the workplace as a benefit factor for new hires who did not grew up in Tri-Cities

Eastman is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Market Insight and Strategy Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Market Insight and Strategy Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the challenge of my job and working with a team of top-notch professionals.

Cons

The challenge I face is managing multiple assignments and getting work prioritized to the best opportunities to pursue.

Trust and empower the employees to manage their areas of responsibility.

Best place I have worked. High standards and high morals

Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is truly dedicated to the community and giving back to employees.

Cons

Sometimes just a little to strict.

Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Eastman provides so many opportunities to grow your career both locally and globally. I have found that I have developed professionally and have a sense of contribution since I have been at Eastman. As a new employee, I have found that others within my team took the extra time to mentor me and solicite feedback from me about my expertise. Although Eastman is a large company, the culture is close knit, friendly and collaborative. I love working for a company that is so innovative and plays a vital part in products that touches our lives every day.

Cons

Overall, the benefits are great, but it would be even better if out of pocket deductables were a little lower. The monthly premiums are the lowest that I have had with any other company, so I guess it balances out.

Great company!

Current Employee - Advanced Research Scientist in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Advanced Research Scientist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company really fosters a collaborative work environment where the employees, especially in technology, are encouraged to interact with each other for the betterment of the company. The company also seems to genuinely care for its’ employees, which makes sense, as happy employees are good employees. And the company has switched its focus to become more customer focused. Meaning they are interacting with customers more often to develop new technologies. This will lead to new commercial products in a shorter period of time.

Cons

As I have only been working at Eastman for a short period, I have not found any negatives as of yet. I guess the area could be a concern for some as it is not located in a metropolitan area, but East TN is beautiful, and if you enjoy the outdoors, there are not many better places to be located.

The customer focused initiatives are great and should help grow the company. The purchasing of other companies to expand the portfolio is also great and important to the company’s future. Keep it up!

Excellent place to work!

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive, friendly culture, excellent work-life balance, flexible schedule, many growth opportunities, tons of training opportunities,

Cons

Corporate head-quarters is located in a small, not-so-diverse town

We need women on the executive team!