Eastman Chemical

www.eastman.com
Engaged on Glassdoor

Working for Eastman is becoming overrated.

Current Employee - Operations in Anniston, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Operations in Anniston, AL (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees can expect insurance and a paycheck. You can expect average wages with a declining benefits package.

Cons

Eastman does not care for their employees. We have a satellite human resource representative from another site. Questions constantly go unanswered while employees are left in the dark to figure out what we are losing next. We just lost our gym memberships after moving to a CDHP. They want you to be healthy, you just wont get any help from the company to get to that point. I hope you are not used to a Christmas bonus. Eastman's policy is $10 per person. Yes, a slap in the face. If you are a Christian, you probably won't even here Merry Christmas . It is replaced with Happy Holidays. The Managers don't listen. Production is a major priority while safety falls to the rear. The managers want all the credit when things are going good, but when things start going bad they want to blame the men in coveralls ( after you told them what was wrong). If Eastman wants to be the number one chemical company in the world they have a long way to go.

Listen to your employees, they are not as dumb as you think. We are all in this together trying to work toward a common goal. We want to make Eastman a better place to work. Success starts at the bottom and goes up. It doesn't trickle down from the top. Try being good to your employees. If you want to be the best, you have to treat them like the are the best. Prediction: our company rank will continue to fall on glassdoor.

Long and very satisfying career with Eastman so far. Great people! However, I am concerned...

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman actually does care about their team members and their well being. Lots of opportunities for those willing to engage the challenges and work hard on the solutions. For such a large company, integrity and ethical practices are still in very much in practice daily. I personally think this is the backbone of Eastman's strength.

Cons

Some of the management and leaders of acquisitioned companies seem to not practice the same level of teamwork and integrity as is the culture of Eastman. Have seen some of this behavior somewhat "tolerated" over the last year or so. Very concerning to me.

Lots of great changes over the last 6 years and a strong company as a result however, do not stray to far from the fundamentals of what makes Eastman the great company it is. Integrity, Trust, Teamwork (especially across organizations, not just within a natural team), Work Life Balance, Manufacturing Excellence, etc.

Great Company with Great People

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Effective hiring process results in a great team of people. Culture is oriented around team results. Management is carefully selected and well-trained.

Cons

Processes are very bureaucratic and doing simple tasks can take significant time to go through red-tape. Company is very oriented around main Kingsport site so being at a satelite site can feel very disconnected from corporate resources.

Fall Internship in Longview

I worked at Eastman Chemical

Pros

The people truly are very kind and helpful at Eastman and in Longview. The projects I was given were not intern projects that had no purpose. They were genuine projects that saved the company money and I received the satisfaction of watching something I created being put to use.

Cons

I think the biggest con is getting used to Longview. Being from a city, Longview is a whole different world. However, the new hires and other interns made my time in Longview memorable and I ended up loving the city. It's not for everyone, but if you give Longview a chance, you will grow to like it.

EMN review

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has very good compensation policies and offers great time-off for long-term employees.

Cons

Eastman is not flexible with people outside of Kingsport (headquarters).

Think outside the box for employees who don't have the option to live in Kingsport.

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Technologist in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Technologist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman Chemical has been a great place to work. I have been here more than 25 years, and held positions in 3 different areas of the plant. There is a great variety of jobs, so you can move around a bit if you work hard. Benefits and compensation are still good, offering some of the better wages in the area. The people at our site are great, with winning attitudes and determination to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Vacation benefits are very good and you accrue more the longer you are employed (up to five weeks).

Cons

Although still competitive, the benefits have slipped over the past few years. Retirment packages for new employees are different from employees who have been with the company for several years, however there are some employer matches and contributions for 401K's.

Be more consistent in ratings, compensation, and bonuses. The current ratings system seems to demand that employees must be catagorized into areas such as not meeting expectations/meeting expectations/exceeding expectations. Effective teams have many members who work hard to achieve their goals and rating some of the members low is very discouraging.

20+ year shift operator

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Good pay
    -Ethical culture
    -Typically rewarded on some level for doing an outstanding job
    -Culture promotes employees caring for one another
    -Typically helpful co-workers

Cons

-Benefits package not as good as it once was. I'm sure the Affordable Healthcare Act has had an impact, but insurance beneifts could be improved

Good Place To Grow

Former Employee - Director of Finance in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Finance in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical

Pros

Promote from within, great benefits and defined goals.

Cons

They do not empower their employees to make decisions. Multiple meetings and red tape to get simple processes approved.

Lower DOA and trust in employees

Loyal Employer

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Team-oriented culture, Family flexibility, focus on individual development, training

Cons

Processes mandated by larger companies, Integration growth pains, increasing health benefit costs

Great people, diverse work opportunities, ethical culture

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman people are friendly, helpful, and always glad to share their knowledge and experience. Work schedules for most of us allow good work/life balance. At world headquarters in Kingsport, TN, there are opportunities to work in a huge variety of work assignments without having to relocate or change employers, so you need never grow bored or underchallenged. I go home each day feeling like I've made a difference for the good of other people (and myself). The pay is good, especially considering the low, small-city cost of living. Home-wise, we get the best of all worlds because the Tri-Cities has everything most of us need or want, and there are several good-sized (but not large or crime-ridden) cities within a few hours' drive for those who want bigger-city opportunities on weekends. Eastman is a good neighbor, helping fund local events and fully supporting the United Way, among other efforts.

Cons

The good work-life balance doesn't reach everybody; some business people are attached to their i-phones 24/7, and operators mostly work swing shifts which are hard on the body and mind. Benefits have eroded over the years (but are still good compared to other employers). "Benchmarking" seems to mean all peer companies are in a downward spiral as the best companies make a mad race to mediocrity, bringing the average down. There seem to be artificial caps on promotions so on average, it is a long time between merit reclassifications.

Benchmark against the best instead of the average, when deciding whether your pay and benefits are where they need to be.