Eastman Chemical

Updated 21 October 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work. Awesome people. Many different areas to work in.

I worked at Eastman Chemical as an intern

Pros

Work-life balance is great!
    Many opportunities to grow and develop within the company.
    People are great and very friendly. Strong presence in the community.

Cons

Not heavily focused on innovation it seems
    Need a more diverse pool of engineers
    Allow engineers to have more flexibility in deciding which department they would like to move to.

Hire more new talent from top schools. Eastman needs fresh ideas from young talent so the company can flourish. The company is made up of too many older folks.

Great place to work. Kingsport, TN is a great place to live too

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman has a great culture that is collaborative, friendly, and high integrity. Pay is good. Jobs are relatively stable. Company has had several record years in recent past. Lots of opportunity.

Cons

The employee performance rating management system is de-motivating. Also the high performance environment can be very stressful depdning on job function.

My experience at Eastman has brought more balance to my life and has opened doors to learn new skills and learning.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a fourth generation Eastman employee, but never thought I would end up working here. I quickly discovered Eastman backs up what it says about safety, health and wellness, sustainability and other corporate initiatives. I have yet to meet anyone I don't like. Eastman provides a rich, challenging environment that provides a diverse set of career choices.

Cons

Kingsport is a great place to live and raise a family. The city school district is awesome. However, some of the city's retail offerings fall short (read: the mall leaves a lot to be desired and dining could be better.)
    Eastman wants to be agile and lean but in some areas it's not quite there yet.
    The company faces a great moral compromise: promoting better health and wellness for its employees, while still allowing tobacco products on site. It's hard to say no to cigarette use when you manufacture a product that goes into millions of cigarettes each year.

I am very happy with my career at Eastman Chemical.

Current Employee - Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1) Good salary in a location with a low cost of living.
    2) Many opportunities for advancement.
    3) Many opportunities for change in career goals or emphasis.

Cons

1) Employee benefits have been reduced in value over the past several years. However, much of this has been mandated due to global competition and government regulations.
    2) Eastman is a large company, and as a result some of the beurocracy gets old.

None.

Eastman offers its employees the opportunity to suceed and contribute to the success of a world-class chemical company.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman offers flexible work hours, advancement opportunities and challenging job assignments to its employees. Pay, healthcare, vacation, etc., are comparable to other Fortune 500 companies and provide employees with security and confidence in meeting personal obligations. Continued company growth provides a variety of work assignments and contributes to employee satisfaction with job duties. Team members willingly help others, share knowledge and have a geniune interest in the well-being of coworkers.

Cons

Inability to retain younger talent due to perceived shortcomings of the region.

Ethical company!

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities, rewarding experiences and great benefits. Great culture, the people really make the difference

Cons

Alittle risk adverse so like to cross most fo the ts and dot the is.

Move a little faster but don't damage the culture while doing it!

Great Company to work for with endless opportunities for growth.

Current Employee - Laboratory Analyst in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Analyst in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Quality company that gives great benefits and fair pay. Has many opportunities to learn and to develop skills in a wide variety of areas. Care for employees and possibilities for growth within the company.

Cons

Very competative for employment opportunities. The amount of time to reach top pay eventhough all requirements are met is a little extensive.

Rewarding career with a company that cares for their employees

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Eastman's impact on its employees, the industry, and the community can be seen daily. The company offers a competitive work environment without feeling the need to work 80 hours a week. No matter your career path, you can be assured that you will have the opportunity to learn and grow if you choose to do so. The size of Eastman and ease to move within the company means one can have multiple careers without ever leaving the company, and travel all over the world if desired. The health programs and workout facilities offered are incredible. Eastman strives hard to make each employee feel like they make a difference and that each day counts. They take safety very seriously, which can seem overbearing at times, but has made a huge impact on how each employee goes through their daily routines at work AND at home. Eastman pours time and money into the community through the United Way and countless other ways.

Cons

In a word: bureaucracy. But then again, Eastman is a large global corporation, so what would you expect? However, day to day, it can be overbearing and distracting from work that really needs to happen. Also, it seems sometimes like Eastman makes leeps and bounds to force numbers/figures into the right range or make metrics align with goals, just to suit management and our stakeholders.

Good experience so far

Current Employee - ESC Specialist in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - ESC Specialist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Communications when cahnging benefit plans has been the hardest. Employees don't like change so it is harder for them to accept and understand.

Eastman has provided a very fair and dependable income to me and my family for many years.

Current Employee - Team Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fair wages, good benefits, caring managers, ethical company guiding principles

Cons

Becoming more family oriented company by bringing back the Christmas Celebration for our families/kids at Recreation.