Eastman Chemical

Updated 19 September 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Eastman is a unique place that values work-life balance and giving back to the community (in 41 reviews)

• Pay packages are competitive, especially when you take into account the low cost of living in Kingsport (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges (in 23 reviews)

• Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Really, Truly Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having worked at several places before joining Eastman I can confidently say that Eastman is a fantastic company full of great people. Recent leadership changes over the past decade have helped to retool the culture and it has really started to pay dividends the past few years when it comes to the bottom line and team member morale. In addition, traditional HR practice was to hire people with engineering degrees FOR EVERYTHING. Today’s leadership realizes we needed to be more diverse than that and is working to get those with specific expertise (innovation, marketing, project management, etc.) into those type positions while driving one-track engineers back into engineering roles where they are better suited to excel. I think that many of the negative reviews you will find on here are from Eastman lifers/aforementioned engineering types who are threatened or have been affected by this culture change because for years it seems the status quo was acceptable. Those negative on the company’s outlook also contend that Eastman used to be family oriented and that it’s not anymore. As someone with experience elsewhere, I contend that Eastman has the most family-oriented culture of anywhere I have worked so I guess it’s a matter of perspective. These negative views are heightened by the fact that current leadership is mostly not from East Tennessee and locals generally have a hard time trusting those not native to the area. The company trains and compensates team members better than most and best of all – there is zero tolerance for internal backstabbing. Finally, the Tri-Cities area with the Blue Ridge mountains and foliage is breathtakingly beautiful and the local people are some of the most genuinely nice and welcoming people you will ever meet.

Cons

Eastman’s insurance benefits are a disappointment. HR leadership claims that our benefits benchmark better than other companies in the chemical industry but if you’re striving to be the “best place to work” and recruit the best talent, then your competition isn’t other chemical companies – it’s other top companies regardless of industry. So, does our healthcare program match up to the likes of Facebook or Bain? No, they don’t. Don’t get me wrong, benefits are not bad but they could certainly be better. This is the consensus #1 negative you will find on Glassdoor or if you surveyed Eastman team members. The other con worth mentioning is that it’s hard to get Eastman engineering lifers to think outside of what they have always done. Since they have been with Eastman for 10, 20, 30+ years, they are extremely adverse to change or looking at things under a different lense. As I mentioned previously, leadership is working to change this but it’s still something that I would like to see changed quicker as it slows innovation and crushes productivity.

Keep doing what you are doing. At the same time, take more time to communicate to manufacturing and engineering where a lot of the distrust towards leadership seems to come from. Most employees I know believe that the healthcare program is not where it needs to be; what can you do to improve the situation?

Have had a variety of roles across the company. It's been a great experience.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Super people to work with. The culture is very collaborative and results oriented. People want to win but to do it in the right way and in a way they can be proud of. Also the company is growing and providing lots of new opportunites for career growth.

Cons

We are moving fast and are stretching to dal with all the challenges and opportunities we face. I think that is to be expected of a growing company but does present a real set of issues that have to be addressed. The good news is that spells opportunities for the people here and those that want to join.

Great place to be a part of a team

Current Employee - Director  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Invests in development, lots of processess and experience to support employees as they navigate the company. Easy culture to assimlate too -- everyone is helpful and wants to be involved on projects.

Cons

Highly matrixed, so it can be slow to make decisions. Striving to be more global, but HQ still runs most decision making. Looking to develop KEY talent, but seems to internal message the need to acquire talent to fill gaps at lower and senior levels.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A highly motivated company with a terrific work culture. People here care about each other.

Current Employee - Procurement Manager  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Procurement Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company is in a growth mode with growing opportunities. Headquarters and largest site is located in a beautiful part of the US and is very family friendly.
    Eastman has a long, enduring tradition of treating its employees fairly and also engages at a high level in the communities where we are in business.

Cons

The company continues to grow and move into more of Specialty Chemicals Company. This growth brings considerable change and high workloads on the groups absorbing the transitions. Even with the high workloads, employees are excited and great to work alongside.

Eastman strives to be a high value, innovative company that is a friend to the community and the environment.

Current Employee - Engineering Technologist  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Technologist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary and benefits are great! The culture is relaxed and we strive to do good work and have fun at the same time.

Cons

Advancement can be limited, depending on your educational background.

I'd like to see more emphasis placed on an individual's capabilities, past performance, and experiences. Many positions shouldn't automatically be limited to those with a certain educational pedigree.

Greatest Place to Work

Current Employee - Recruiting Assistant  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiting Assistant in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Company that is all about Work/Life Balance

Cons

Salary could be a little more

Keep up the good work!

Newer to Eastman, but am thoroughly enjoying my time so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employees here have been superb in helping me transition into my role. They have gone out of their way to provide training, insight into culture, etc. Having relocated from a large urban environment, I have also been plesantly surprised by the number of activities there are in the area. Between 4 minor league baseball teams within 30 minutes drive, to symphony orchestras, to all the hiking my kids and I can handle. We have been able to keep our weekends busy.

Cons

Although there are 10+ flights out of the Tri-Cities airport each day, the only non-stops are to Atlanta and Charlotte. This makes it a little harder for family to come visit.

Eastman Chemical Review

Current Employee - Group Leader  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent work/life balance.
    Employee safety.
    As a large and growing company there are many opportunities for advancement, training, career growth, etc. without needing to change employers.
    Focused on ensuring the success of the employees and the company while still maintaining and increasing value for shareholders.

Cons

I have worked at two other companies who both had signifcantly better benefits (insurance) than Eastman. However, this may not be true now due to the escalating price of health care.

Great place to work and raise a family

Current Employee - Technology Manager  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You have the opportunity to work in multpile organizations and responsibilities without leaving Kingsport. The company has a strong presence in the community, and the copany is a strong supporter of having a work life balance.

Cons

As a company that has a very strong analytical base, we sometimes rely too much on process and templates to determine if we are doing something the right way.

None

A job at Eastman isn't a career choice, It's a life choice for the better!

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with Eastman is like joining a family. The environment is very inviting and personable. In my expreience, the managers care very much about your well being and success with the compant. They do not view you as replaceable but instead work very hard to find the right spot for you in the company. The work/life balance is great and encouraged by managment. Eastman offers several courses for learning and are patient when it comes to learning. They also offer several ways for employees to become involved with the community by offering volunteer opportunitities, recreational clubs and team sports. If I had to sum up Eastman in three words, it would be Safety, Family, and Fun.

Cons

Some challenges are about advancement. There is not a clear path for advancing for analyst and technicians.

Create more definitive pathways for technicians to create careers that are exempt. Several technicians at Eastman have great untapped potential for exempt roles but are unable to find the career path that will lead them to positions with more growth.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!