Eaton Reviews

Updated 25 August 2014

3.5

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler
Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation (in 41 reviews)

• The company offers opportunities for advancement, and will promote from within (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance can become an issue in most departments because of understaffing (in 18 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Avoid like the plague

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None
    Zilch
    Nada
    Ddim
    Nowt
    Nothing
    Zero
    N/A
    There are no Pros. I have to use 20 words but i'm just going to finish by saying. THERE ARE NO REASONS TO WORK FOR EATON

Cons

Everything.

Managers are spineless and are only out for themselves

Pay is not what it says on this site, it is about 10k lower

Corporate structure is favored against progression through the company

Unrealistic expectations and complete lack of understanding of the job from management

Managers who have it in their title but don't actually manage anything

People placed in positions because they have higher friends as opposed to actually able to do the job

Crap atmosphere within the office

Sales driven engineering, as opposed to engineering driven sales

Specials are more common than actual products

Quit

Make life easier for people who actually work by doing your job

Make it at least possible to progress and not have to lick the sweetcorn from your crack to do so

Overall an ok company but not in the UK

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than a year

Pros

good work life balance, company has a good reputation as a place of work especially in the USA

Cons

Senior management strategy is not aligned from one location to the other. A lot of time is spent on the politics between different division and level of management. Jobs are not really getting done. Attrition rates are very high with UK. I have worked for the company for 18 months and nothing really got done in all this time. Very slow to react and generally feels like going in circles.

Diversification is what keeps company afloat however there has to be a unified strategy across different division. More attention should be paid to removing internal power straggle and competition between different locations and divisions.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Associate Analyst  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Associate Analyst in Pune (India)

I worked at Eaton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, excellent exposure to other businesses within the company

Cons

The working hours are long and tiring, and it is difficult to progress in your career since they require a fixed number of years of work experience in order to get a promotion.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great challenge

Former Employee - Administrative Support  in  Chandler, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Support in Chandler, AZ (US)

I worked at Eaton as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They treat their workers great

Cons

It's a fast pace environment

Enjoyed working for the company

solid company; speculative HR practices

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

work/life balance are optimal; office culture is generally positive and accepts varying perspectives, compensation is fair for marketplace.

Cons

Minorities are preferred and promoted over non-minorities, especially when choosing between internal and external candidates. This is unfortunate when internal minority DOES NOT have the skillset for the position. But hey, it looks good on paper to have minorities in upper-level positions, even if it negatively affects the department.

fight to hire the right person, even if not minority.

Positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance. Great salary. Company supports healthy initiatives. There is a gym on site and free exercise classes. Typical "corporate" experience but it sure beats working at a law firm!!

Cons

They are trying to move to an "open" work space (new cubes with low walls) which, in my opinion, does not cultivate a positive work environment. Some depts are better to work for than others (due to different managers).

EMSP Summer Intern

Former Employee - EMSP Finance  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - EMSP Finance in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Eaton as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is very nice
    great facility
    Great internship program
    great pay

Cons

Eaton focuses on getting as many people's consent as possible. Although this is good, it makes the company run slower than it needs to

Focus on upgrading technical and operations systems so that workers can do their job more efficiently. The company's compensation packages and pay are very generous. For the most part the company is very accommodating for the work life balance. Many people started their career and have been at the company for decades. My boss celebrated her 30 year anniversary. That goes to show Eaton really takes care of employees. I think there is a lot a room to move around, but I would say in a more lateral sense and it is a bit harder to move upward but possible.

Solid company but you're still in old school corporate America

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Eaton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Eaton likes to promote from within and the pay is more than competitive. The company's ethical stances are true and they attempt to do business the right way. Their CEO does a good job of having a consistent voice to all employees. If you want a career and don't have any initiative to rock the boat, you can have a great job for life.

Cons

Like most companies their size, if doing the right thing costs too much money, they won't spend it. I don't feel the top managers in the company do a good job of being leaders. They don't know how to bring up top talent and help develop them outside of boring classes and trainings. Plus, I don't think the organization knows where it's going. Functional groups have conflicting goals and initiatives which garners no support from the other. They will develop and strategize on paper with beautiful wording but when it comes down to it, they don't who they want to be, don't know how to execute or just don't have the desire to put in that much work and focus on the end goal.

Recruit some stellar leaders from other industries who have taken their companies to the next level and multiply him/her!

Great company with many opportunities

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large diverse company
    Global locations
    Ethical company
    Competitive pay and benefits
    Personal development is a commitment at all levels of the organization

Cons

Company politics
    Paternity benefits need updating
    No mentorship program
    Eaton may be one of the biggest companies you've never heard of

Maternity and paternity benefits are dated. Rather than following the lead of many other large companies stick you neck out there and set a new standard that allows your employees more paid time off to spend with family in a very short and important time in your life.

Great Benefits, great culture, hard on women and family

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Eaton provides all of its employees with great benefits and competitive salaries. They have high standards for doing business fairly and ethically across the globe. I am never concerned that I will be asked to commit fraud or do something that isn't right. The company leadership also has a good vision for the future and we have continuous growth and improvement in all of our business units.

Cons

Eaton struggles to keep women in its organization. Eaton's strategy for staying competitive and continuously improving revolves around constantly moving and shuffling its talent around the nation and globe. This constant movement makes it hard for women to start and grow a family -- even in today's day and age where women are more frequently the breadwinners and their careers take more of a front seat. HR also claims that we have a great work-life balance, but some groups are better at this than others.

Worked for Eaton? Contribute to the Community!