Eaton Reviews

Updated 21 September 2014
3.6

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler
Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation (in 41 reviews)

• The company offers opportunities for advancement, and will promote from within (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance can become an issue in most departments because of understaffing (in 18 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great industry diversity

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Eaton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is a great flavor of industry specialism within Eaton, from Automotive to Electrical and Financial Shared services. With a very large global footprint, you will have peers across different time zones and cultures, which brings a great flavor of variety on the workplace and creates great lasting friendships. Eaton is above market rate with their salaries.

Cons

Unfortunately the matrix organization does not share the variety as promotions are mostly either to get to people management or project management, anything else is mostly outsourced or is in the process of being outsourced (IT).

Getting higher in rank doesn't mean picking up different responsibilities, you just get more pay ....

Work within the different divisions sometimes feels like you are competing with the other sectors, not too much overlap, which ends up in tools and practices which could better be merged or adopted.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Doncaster, England
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Doncaster, England

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benifits and opportunties for advancement

Cons

Tend to micro manage a little bit

Avoid like the plague

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None
    Zilch
    Nada
    Ddim
    Nowt
    Nothing
    Zero
    N/A
    There are no Pros. I have to use 20 words but i'm just going to finish by saying. THERE ARE NO REASONS TO WORK FOR EATON

Cons

Everything.

Managers are spineless and are only out for themselves

Pay is not what it says on this site, it is about 10k lower

Corporate structure is favored against progression through the company

Unrealistic expectations and complete lack of understanding of the job from management

Managers who have it in their title but don't actually manage anything

People placed in positions because they have higher friends as opposed to actually able to do the job

Crap atmosphere within the office

Sales driven engineering, as opposed to engineering driven sales

Specials are more common than actual products

Quit

Make life easier for people who actually work by doing your job

Make it at least possible to progress and not have to lick the sweetcorn from your crack to do so

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall an ok company but not in the UK

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than a year

Pros

good work life balance, company has a good reputation as a place of work especially in the USA

Cons

Senior management strategy is not aligned from one location to the other. A lot of time is spent on the politics between different division and level of management. Jobs are not really getting done. Attrition rates are very high with UK. I have worked for the company for 18 months and nothing really got done in all this time. Very slow to react and generally feels like going in circles.

Diversification is what keeps company afloat however there has to be a unified strategy across different division. More attention should be paid to removing internal power straggle and competition between different locations and divisions.

Excellent Intern Experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Eaton as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Learned a lot about the Electrical services industry
    -Good pay for interns
    -Great work environment
    -HR did an awesome job

Cons

Sometimes had to work strange hours on weekends and nights, but there isn't really anything bad I would have to say about working for them. The internship was great. I would highly recommend it. Perhaps I will work for them full time in the future.

None.

Enriching learning Experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I worked at Eaton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Work culture and work-life balance.

Cons

Nothing that I could see in my duration.

The leadership is really helpful.

Your experience may vary..

Former Employee - Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern

I worked at Eaton as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I interned with Eaton twice and was assigned challenging projects and left behind genuine accomplishments useful to the business. I got to work with a wide range of equipment and was able to specialize in my own interests.

Cons

You get out what you put in, many other interns didn't seek out projects and ended up bored. Interns are primarily assessed by a 10 minute presentation at the end of assignment by a panel unfamiliar with their work or accomplishments and weighs this presentation heavily in the hiring process.

The internship assessment process is too heavily weighted on a single presentation. There is little recognition for exceptional work effort and the resulting accomplishments during the internship.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Lead Engineering Tech  in  Asheville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Engineering Tech in Asheville, NC (US)

I worked at Eaton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits, room to move up

Cons

NO work life balance... work, work, work!

stop thinking college degrees are the only means of a person being qualified for higher positions. People that didn't go to college have brains to!

Great Place to Learn, Grow, Get Recognized and Start Career... Not for Mid-Career.

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very collaborative, team-oriented, "get the job done" culture, with all levels - shop floor employees to Directors / VPs - working simultaneously to accomplish a task. Management takes an interest in your learning and grooms and mentors talent very well.

Cons

Being a publicly traded company with shareholders, there is a lot of emphasis placed on meeting monthly, quarterly and yearly targets affecting the profits and EPS. Message resonates from CEO to shop floor employees. Month-end, quarter-end, year-end is a particularly stressful time to meet goals, at any expense. This may not make the most sense to the overall income statement as much as it would to profit / EPS in particular (expediting shipments, overtime, changing schedule to favor high-revenue orders etc).

Compensate employees for efforts better - inspite of being a "top performer" I was in the mid-range for my salary band and not given the highest performance rating, with no real reason offered for not getting this.
    None to few perks of working at Eaton

Great name and great company

I worked at Eaton full-time

Pros

Collaborative enviroment, great leadership great compan to work for in HR

Cons

Legacy Cooper locations need more Eaton presence and leadership from the top down. Not a lot of clear direction on business culture, growth and current state. A lot of unknowns.

Worked for Eaton? Contribute to the Community!