Echo Global Logistics

Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner

Doug Waggoner

Pros:
  • "Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard"
    in 11 reviews
  • "company culture: casual dress code, young energetic people, beer fridays"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Base Salary sucks and it takes a while to build business"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Young and fun company to work at, but managment not always clear on direction company is headed.

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to make and learn from mistakes.

ConsUnclear career path, stressful in unnecessary situations, high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication to employees, leading by example, be more personable with employees

Echo Dallas, a great place to learn both sales and transportation management

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Co workers, dedicated managerial and executive staff. The company is growing at such a rapid pace, there is a lot of room for internal promotion.

ConsIn my tenure thus far, i have not seen any cons worth noting. At the pace the company is growing, its good to see that they have kept most everyone happy!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the dedication and face time within the branches, it helps motivate employees!

Eh.

Client Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time for less than a year

ProsOkay company culture, a decent incentive every once in a while. Great coworkers, regular paycheck.
Industry-leading "proprietary" technology, okay brand name.
Solid [paid] training for the industry.
Nearly no petty micro-managing; freedom to put Echo's name and resources to the test while attempting to close billion-dollar companies.
Good comprehensive small-business experience.
Still a young company.

ConsHorrible operational support; this is more an "account executive" position, and the sales side diminishes quickly over time.
Very poor commission structure; less than 15% of the entire sales force hits "commission" (that is, makes more than the base salary) within the first 12 months of "hitting the floor." Furthermore, client sales trainees don't hit the floor for a good couple of months, so you can expect to be looking at 14-18+months before you make over base salary.
Despite above, this is actually more of a "customer service" position, as you will be in the "business of apologizing."
Nearly impossible to be ethical and make a good paycheck (not just Echo, but 3pl's as a whole).
Ridiculous rate of turnover amongst employees and management alike.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a dichotomy between sales and operations, otherwise the rate of your return on employees in "client sales" goes down drastically over time.

Below Average Career Opportunity

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

ProsYoung and fun work environment.

ConsPoor pay, management doesn't stick to their word.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more consistency

Excellent Training, Few Opportunities for Long Term Growth

National Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsThe LTL training program was excellent. They've reformatted it a bit since I was hired, but Echo was my first supply chain job. It was a thorough and comprehensive introduction to LTL transport.

ConsVery high turnover. Salesmen complain of "lead-lock," or a lack of available prospects to call on. Disputes over leads and accounts are frequent and usually settled in favor of senior reps, so it's difficult to gain traction as a young salesperson. Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning.

Not for the unmotivated.

Client Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunities to make money and learn

After a year you will be an expert in the Logistics industry.

ConsCan be a 24/7 job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone as of yet.

Where Careers Go to Die

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou will generally work 8AM-5PM, but longer hours will come depending on the amount of clients you have and what time zone they are in. Echo requires their employees (namely sales employees) to wear many hats so, while it may be annoying to manage all your shipments from entering in the database to invoice payment, all of your clients' payment collections, and deal with inevitable freight claims, it is useful experience that will increase your business savvy if you continue to work in logistics.

ConsEcho has a 'churn and burn' type of atmosphere, in that sales reps and account executives will work like crazy to see little or nothing in return, aside from their base salary check. You are not valued until you produce, but most employees get too worn out before they can do so.

There is virtually zero respect between employees and the lack of professionalism is imminent. No one holds themselves accountable for getting their job done and there are blurred lines with policies and procedures. Additionally, the culture of the company is similar to that of a high school clique. Regardless of your work ethic, education, work accomplishments, etc., it is impossible to move up from an entry-level position in the company unless you are in the in-crowd. It is no wonder that a good portion of management is actually pretty incompetent.

The pay at Echo is severely low. The base salary is generally in the 25-50% compared to average industry rates and because your compensation plan can change at any time. It is not uncommon to see your pay drop from year to year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe screen when you walk into the office says "Echo Values Its Employees." This is a colossal lie and is evidenced by the amount of untapped potential at the company. HR, managers, etc. should be working with employees within the first three months to determine their strengths, weaknesses, and goals, and help them to realize their potential. 360 feedback would be beneficial because a large portion of management is pretty awful and incompetent.

Lots of busy work/ low pay / replaceable

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time for less than a year

ProsGood place to start out and get something on your resume

ConsFrat house. Young inexperienced managers. Too much hiring from within which means you get people with Echo tunnel vision. The bureaucracy is to have systems in place so that everyone is replaceable. You spend most of your time creating paper trails to cover your ass. Most people have extra part time jobs on the weekend to cover the cost of living in Chicago. A team lead's sole purpose is to micro-manage and squeeze more work out of you. It doesn't seem like anyone gets a chance to take a lunch break so everyone eats at their desk. Then they bribe you with beer on Friday. If you paid more we could all buy our own beer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't know. Never get to interact with any of them because I'm low on the food chain.

Work amongst peers but tough to be more than just a number

Inside Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you're a young person just starting out, this is a great first job in Chicago. Nearly all of the 300+ employees in Chicago are between 23-30. Easy to make friends as most people are in the same boat, first job in Chicago, don't plan on staying there for very long.

ConsA new recruiting class of 20 every month. You are not much more than a number and if you aren't catching on the company will not hesitate to cut you loose. There is a lot of external competition in this industry in Chicago, but the enormous amount of sales reps in the company creates an enormous amount of internal competition. High volume/small margin approach makes it exceedingly difficult to reach commission threshold.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a better system for handling old leads could allow customer sales reps to have more success.

Filled with false hopes. Plenty of hard work and nothing in return.

National Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsYoung, fun work environment for the most part. Snacks and sodas and coffee provided. Opportunity to make a good amount of money.

ConsPlagued with favoritism, micro-management, and executives who don't care about 90% of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of everyone, quit hiring everyone for sales and then giving them other jobs. Source people and train them for the jobs they will be doing in the company.

Worked for Echo Global Logistics? Contribute to the Community!

Echo Global Logistics Videos

Echo Global Logistics – Why Work for Us?

Take a look at the future of logistics... take a look at Echo. Driven, energetic and motivated – the Echo team is made of like minded individuals with one common thread, an opportunity to jumpstart a career at a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Echo Global Logistics reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Echo Global Logistics CEO Doug Waggoner. All 101 reviews are posted anonymously by Echo Global Logistics employees.