Echo Global Logistics

Updated 3 March 2015
3.3

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 20 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning (in 13 reviews)

• I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great Environment! Really Enjoy Coming In To Work

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture here is one of a kind. I can truely say that I enjoy coming to work every day. The open desk atmosphere makes it easy to get to know your neighbors. My team is always collaborating together and boucning ideas off of eachother, which I love.

Echo is always coming up with new ways to improve and you can really see the excitement throughout the departments.

Cons

Making the dials can get tough at times but my supervisor is always available for support and assistance. It is very clear that hard work pays off and you do see results. Plus, who doesn't love extra money on those paychecks!

Jan 13, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thank you very much for your great review of Echo. We're really glad that you are enjoying your time here and find the work to be challenging and rewarding.

A fun place to work with good people

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture and the people. Many days, it doesn't feel like going to work because the people here become more than coworkers, they become friends.

The company and employees care about your success and want you to do well. The space isn't stuffy, due to not having any cubicles and managers nearby for assistance. This all in itself is a big plus for me!

Cons

Salaries could be higher, but with hardwork and time, the rewards payoff.

Continue at being a coach and fostering success in each employee.

Feb 16, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are fortunate to have such great employees who help us improve daily. One of the big initiatives for 2015 is to promote more open communication ... More

Overall - good

Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Good people, fun atmosphere, nice amenities

Cons

Lots of pressure, too many analytics on they out on you for the small things / day to day and not overall

What brought me there was because they said they didn't micro-manage but its becoming more and more that way. Look at overall performance.

A unique challenge

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code
    Young work environment
    Located right next to Cabrini Green
    Low salary teaches you good budgeting
    Unique culture

Cons

Let's start with the hours. I hope you enjoy early mornings because the mandatory start time is 630am. At around 640am the megaphones come out and those who are late are berated in front of their peers by management. There is no defined end time for this role either. I like to relate it to high school; your teacher will tell you when you can leave. Unique to most companies Fridays are actually the longest day of the week at Echo. Management takes privy to making the entire floor stay late on Fridays regardless if there is no work left to be done. It's a very interesting management philosophy to say the least.

As for compensation... Don't expect much. With roughly a 300% increase in department size in the past year commission is harder to come by. Management does do a good job showcasing the select few individuals that have stuck with the company and make decent money. However, don't expect to make more than $35,000 your first year. Keep in mind management has just slashed compensation on the customer side by roughly 20-25% so that first year salary figure may decrease.

At the end of the day you need to come into this job with low expectations. Carrier reps are regarded as glorified truck dispatchers and are at the bottom of the totem pole at Echo. If logistics is an industry that interests you I would recommend pursuing the client sales side. The hours are much more relaxed and the perks are much better (craft beers vs warm miller lite, team outings vs Friday night lock ins, etc.)

Keep doing what you're doing. Investors are getting great end over end results and the hire rate has been high enough to offset the burn out rate. Just be careful with over hiring. Low salary helps hedge the risk but it's important to scale your growth.

Thankful for the experience

Former Employee - Learning and Development in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Learning and Development in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A young, energetic culture; a well-designed workplace environment in a nice work building (same one as Groupon); constant growth and change

Cons

Young managers; egos; not a lot of growth opportunity; male-dominated industry; poor salary

getting better, keep pushing yourself to be better to your people and try harder to retain the good ones.

Jan 13, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Your feedback is appreciated. Here at Echo, we know that “Better is the Only Option” (one of our core values) and will keep striving to cultivate a balanced and fair work environment for all ... More

Frazzled, mixed up and hectic.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free beer on every Friday.

Cons

Transportation software is extremely difficult to navigate. Overly complex. Large bureacracy with minimal direction.

Be careful with Beer Friday. Liability is an issue.

Feb 16, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for writing a review! Sorry to hear you find our technology difficult to navigate, the Learning & Development team would be happy to provide extra training if need be. They can be reached at ... More

Different sides=different worlds

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative

I worked at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

You can occasionally win a prize.

Cons

You will work 10 hour days (minimum), taking lunch and time off is frowned upon no matter how much time you are given, low comission and comission is nearly impossible to hit. The only way you get comission is by being shady towards other coworkers and stealing their carriers or inheriting carriers from previous employees. Managers play favorites and it is painfully obvious. When one person quits they will give all their carriers to their friends. Horribly unprofessional. Coworkers do not respect each other so you spend as much time arguing with your peers as you do with your carriers. Hostile environment. Burnout employees very quickly and have no intention of bettering their turnover rate. I would steer clear of carrier sales. If you are going to work here I would want to be on the customer side or operations.

Promote managers based off management skills, not just rate knowledge. Encourage management and employees to remain professional as it is a conflict of interest to have management out partying with their employees. Work life balance is truly something that can make employees happy and enjoy working for a company. I felt when working here I had NO personal life time. They are on the right track with their culture but unfortunately the carrier side of things is straight up about numbers. Treat employees like human beings, train management how to actually develop employees and help them better themselves instead of just screaming all day about loads and shouting out rates.

Feb 16, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for the feedback. There’s no question that sales is a challenging job anywhere and requires a lot of hard work to get ramped up. We invest a lot in training and do everything we can to provide ... More

Lots of promise that never materialized.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Cruz, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Cruz, CA (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freight is always moving so there is always opportunity to grow.

Cons

Too much competition in this industry.

Better pay structure would be a strong motivator.

Good starting place

I worked at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Environment is casual and great for job seekers right out of college

Cons

can be a bit like a frat house

Jan 13, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for your comments! We agree that Echo is a great place to start a career for new grads because of our comprehensive training program and continuous investment in career development. Work/life ... More

Echo Global Logistics Photos