Echo Global Logistics

Updated 12 December 2014
3.3

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 20 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning (in 13 reviews)

• I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Environment! Really Enjoy Coming In To Work

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture here is one of a kind. I can truely say that I enjoy coming to work every day. The open desk atmosphere makes it easy to get to know your neighbors. My team is always collaborating together and boucning ideas off of eachother, which I love.

Echo is always coming up with new ways to improve and you can really see the excitement throughout the departments.

Cons

Making the dials can get tough at times but my supervisor is always available for support and assistance. It is very clear that hard work pays off and you do see results. Plus, who doesn't love extra money on those paychecks!

Hard Work Pays Off!

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Echo offers a truly great service and is very competitive in the industry. That being said, the more calls that you make in a day leads to closing more business which ultimately leads to more money - typical of any sales role, but Echo's service is competitive and continually sought after.

Cons

Getting used to the amount of calls that are required in order to succeed here. Gotta get your foot in the door and cold calling is the way to do it. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature and you see the monetary benefits!

The Dallas Branch is a family, and while Echo is a large corporation, this branch makes you feel right at home.

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Management truly cares about the success of their personnel in this branch. Even if you are struggling, if you seek help, you will find someone (whether it be a peer or a supervisor/manager) that is willing to help. If you put in the work, you WILL be rewarded. The Dallas branch exemplifies the "work hard play hard" mentality very well.

Cons

You have to adopt, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" mentality when trying to get answers from corporate in Chicago. The job is truly a grind when starting out, and can be fairly stressful.

Consistent feedback provided to sales reps. There are campaigns for monthly reviews, call reviews, pipeline reviews, but they are not consistent. If the feedback operates like clock-work, then your sales reps will grow.

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for writing a review! It is great to hear you feel supported by management and your teammates. Clear and consistent feedback is crucial for personal and professional growth in the workplace ... More

Echo Global Logistics- Dallas office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Echo truly values their employees and does everything they can to make sure they have a good experience here. Frequent free meals from supervisors for doing what they ask of you, beer on Fridays, and a lot of team work that is actually helpful. The branch manager is seriously the nicest, most loving person I have yet to work for. I have stayed at this job pretty much for him and all he does for us. The office is extremely laid back, which is really awesome.

Cons

The job itself is really frustrating. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to hit commission. Echo sets you up for success though, they give you everything you might need (and more) to do well. The job is rewarding at times when you hit goals. Training is long and boring at times. Calling people all day can get frustrating too.

I love the management

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for your review! It is great to hear you enjoy the work environment and management. We admit the logistics industry can be crazy at times-please let HR or your Supervisor know if there is ... More

Good job

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun and friendly environment. Everyone is really supportive of each other. It looks like there are good opportunities for growth and development. It's a young crowd and a good place to start a sales career.

Cons

It can be very frustrating. I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training. There are still a few things I struggle with.

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are glad you are getting the support you need! Please feel free to reach out to your Supervisor or the Learning and Development team for ... More

Play favorites

Former Employee - Client Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Client Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money if by a slim chance the management team is willing to help you close a big account.

Cons

They play favorites and if a rep is one of them, they get all of the positive support and attention. You're help accountable for every single shipment even if the carrier or customer is at fault. No questions asked, it's on you. They'll even deduct it from your pay if they want to. It should be illegal.

Stop playing favorites and provide support for every rep on your team. It's not difficult to be successful when management is actually managing correctly.

COMPLETELY OVERSTAFFED POSITION

I worked at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Made some good friends there.

Cons

The Carrier sales side is completely overstaffed and really lacks organization.

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! We increased the number of sales reps on our carrier side in order to keep up with the demands of the growing truckload market. Subsequently, we improved infrastructure ... More

Decent entry level sales experience

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good People
    Fun Environment
    Knowledgable Management
    Happy Hours
    Fast Paced Environment. You will definitely gain sales experience through making 100 sometimes 200 calls a day.

Cons

Overstaffed and Over saturated Market
    Product is subpar to some of the competitors
    Lack of direction and guidance
    100+ calls a day

Stop hiring So many people. 10 people call the same customers daily making us all look bad.
    Find a way to make product more comparable to competitors

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for expressing your opinion. We strive to create a balanced environment that fosters top-notch training and first-hand sales experience as well as a fun atmosphere and company culture. One ... More

My experience at Echo Global was great the company does a lot of fun activities and has a relaxed work environment .

Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus that you get for meeting your goal, the building that you work in shows the appreciation for the employees that work there, You can state your opinion and actually get to be involved in making a process better.

Cons

Previous managers were not involved in each employee that they managed, they never took the time out to really see what was going on, they would listen to certain people and make judgements. A current supervisor would discuss management decisions about other employees with her friends which was very inappropriate. Supervisor would not lead my example when it came to breaks & lunches- time abused.

It would be great to have a relationship with each employee that the manger is in charge of. Everyone should have an equal amount of work instead of letting some employees get away with doing less than is expected. One rule for all, either you work at home or you come to the office- some should not be granted work at home all of the time when others are expected to be at the office. Have a complained box so that upper management can know what's going on in other departments.

I do not recommend after a 12 month experience in carrier sales.

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning and practicing the skill of negotiation. Understanding the transportation industry and how the supply chain functions. Company bus for commute before and after work.

Cons

I do not want to repeat myself. A lot of the Cons can be understood in a different section below. See "Advice to Management"....

Consistently practice being a professional and lead by example. Be transparent with your team. Meet with your team and individuals regularly, it will benefit everyone including you, management. Understand what is going on with your team as a whole and each contributing member, i.e.- morale, business successes and struggles/opportunities/improvements etc. (see previous sentence). Do not use disrespectful, elementary language to individuals regardless of situation or industry. Hone your skills and develop Rookies into All Stars. Stay positive. Take lunch away from your desk. Look from the outside in; be the manager you want to see leading. Keep an open mind and be willing to change if necessary. The hours of work expected out of each person ....including mandatory Saturdays.....does not seem healthy, my advice is to rethink this expectation.

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to write a review. Happy to hear you gained new skills and knowledge during your time with us. Your advice is appreciated; we developed and launched a ... More

Echo Global Logistics Photos