Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated 21 October 2014
3.3

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 20 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning (in 13 reviews)

• takes a while and hard work to get to commission (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent entry level sales experience

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good People
    Fun Environment
    Knowledgable Management
    Happy Hours
    Fast Paced Environment. You will definitely gain sales experience through making 100 sometimes 200 calls a day.

Cons

Overstaffed and Over saturated Market
    Product is subpar to some of the competitors
    Lack of direction and guidance
    100+ calls a day

Stop hiring So many people. 10 people call the same customers daily making us all look bad.
    Find a way to make product more comparable to competitors

What seemed like a great opportunity wasn't what I thought it would be

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young, laid back environment. Relaxed dress code, beer Fridays, company outings.

Cons

Training is long, however I still felt unprepared when I hit the sales floor. Mindless job, calls calls and more calls. The commission structure is highly unattainable, never once in my time at Echo did I break through. Management has somewhat unrealistic goals for reps. Reps are selling Echo's third party logistics services in a highly saturated market. Echo's pricing is not nearly competitive enough in a market where pricing is everything to customers. Echo is nationally traded as a technology company, yet reps find themselves on the phone with IT just about everyday to get issues resolved. You will find yourself working 9+ hour workdays and managers will guilt you into staying late. If you choose to leave at 5 you will find yourself feeling being pressured into staying late in the future or working on your weekends.

Severe favoritism ought to be avoided. Some reps are handed golden accounts and opportunities that they didn't deserve that turn into huge money making deals.

Great company culture- needed because the job isn't always fun

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company culture, personal growth, compensation (if you stick it out)

Cons

You'll be making a ton of phone calls, all day, every day; benefits

Remember you were once where reps are now

Churn and burn factory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Echo has a very young atmosphere. It is also very casual as far as dress which I prefer. It is nice not having to dress up every day like I work in a bank or something.

Cons

Echo is basically a churn and burn factory. 70% of the people they employ are straight out of college seeking to move to Chicago from various places in the Midwest. Mostly Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin. These kids know to apply at Echo because it's fast and easy to get a job. Echo never gives raises and has horrible retirement benefits so it's in no one's interest to stay long term.

Pay people what they are worth. Have your salaries more in line with the other 3PLs (i.e. CH, Coyote, etc) and maybe you wouldn't have the turn over that you do.

If you want to see people have careers and not just jobs you need to up your retirement contributions. .5% is a joke.

Also your insurance plans are too expensive. I can't imagine having to cover a family under it. It would literally be my whole paycheck.

Good company, industry can be frustrating

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good atmosphere, good training program, they offer a lot of good benefits and everyone is there to help you.

Cons

all cold calling and don't make commission until after a year and a half most likely. Management contradicts themselves sometimes, these reasons are why a lot of people leave.

My experience at Echo Global was great the company does a lot of fun activities and has a relaxed work environment .

Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus that you get for meeting your goal, the building that you work in shows the appreciation for the employees that work there, You can state your opinion and actually get to be involved in making a process better.

Cons

Previous managers were not involved in each employee that they managed, they never took the time out to really see what was going on, they would listen to certain people and make judgements. A current supervisor would discuss management decisions about other employees with her friends which was very inappropriate. Supervisor would not lead my example when it came to breaks & lunches- time abused.

It would be great to have a relationship with each employee that the manger is in charge of. Everyone should have an equal amount of work instead of letting some employees get away with doing less than is expected. One rule for all, either you work at home or you come to the office- some should not be granted work at home all of the time when others are expected to be at the office. Have a complained box so that upper management can know what's going on in other departments.

Dissatisfied

Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun Work environment
    Central location
    Young office atmosphere

Cons

terrible commission structure, favoritism, unprofessionalism, competitive price driven market, difficult customer base to work with.

Management needs to set a better base with the expectations they have on employees. This is a stressful job in an unreliable industry. We are expected to close accounts, manage accounts, track our shipments, do all of our accounting and service our customers like they are our only ones all while making 35,000 a yr. The work environment is fun but the blatant favoritism of certain reps whom have not worked hard enough to earn the accounts that have been handed to them without anything to do with the sell-close process is so flagrant; all of your employees know who deserves to be rewarded for their hard work and who are given accounts they did not earn nor deserve

This job is not for everyone and most people quit w/ in 6 months or stay for the long haul.

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young, fun employees and beer Fridays are perks.

Cons

You will be working 55-65 hours per week. 11 hrs M-Thurs, 12 Hrs on Friday and 12 Saturday shifts per year at 8 hours per shift. There is absolutely no work-life balance. 401K plan is the worst I have ever seen.

Management can be rude and unprofessional. We have to be there for about 60 hours per week so lets keep it fun.

Great Culture, Support, and Opportunity in the Dallas Branch

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is competitive and fast-paced, but there is a lot of support. Management is open to experimenting with new ideas and going after different opportunities than they are historically used to. Folks in the branch are friendly and helpful for people new to the company. The Dallas branch does a lot of celebrating - celebrating wins, birthdays, milestones, promotions, etc. The company is growing quickly and there are some growing pains associated with that, but upper management has done a lot to make those changes as seemless as possible. Having come over from another brokerage in Dallas, and knowing a dozen others at other brokerages in Dallas, Echo's way ahead of the competition in a number of really important ways.

Cons

Being in downtown, it's a bit of a drive for anyone living in the suburbs - but the surroundings are still great. Freight brokerage is difficult, and building a book of business is not easy. It's a lot about confidence and your ability to adapt and stay calm for the roller coaster. But Echo does a lot to help reps manage that too.

Perhaps hire/train up more folks in Business Development who can help sell enterprise-level Managed Transportation solutions. There is a bottleneck in that process currently.

Amazing company

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, upbeat environment, excellent career path opportunities, fun work space (zen room, ping pong table, golf green, beer Fridays, business casual) awesome insurance benefits, philanthropy clubs, fast paced

Cons

Pay is lower in the beginning but tenure is recognized and rewarded. Must be self sufficient and a go getter. Will not micro manage so sink or swim!

Upper management is great, provide better training for lower level management.

Echo Global Logistics Photos