Echo Global Logistics

Updated 10 November 2014
3.2

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 20 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning (in 13 reviews)

• takes a while and hard work to get to commission (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun and friendly environment. Everyone is really supportive of each other. It looks like there are good opportunities for growth and development. It's a young crowd and a good place to start a sales career.

Cons

It can be very frustrating. I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training. There are still a few things I struggle with.

COMPLETELY OVERSTAFFED POSITION

I worked at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Made some good friends there.

Cons

The Carrier sales side is completely overstaffed and really lacks organization.

My experience at Echo Global was great the company does a lot of fun activities and has a relaxed work environment .

Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus that you get for meeting your goal, the building that you work in shows the appreciation for the employees that work there, You can state your opinion and actually get to be involved in making a process better.

Cons

Previous managers were not involved in each employee that they managed, they never took the time out to really see what was going on, they would listen to certain people and make judgements. A current supervisor would discuss management decisions about other employees with her friends which was very inappropriate. Supervisor would not lead my example when it came to breaks & lunches- time abused.

It would be great to have a relationship with each employee that the manger is in charge of. Everyone should have an equal amount of work instead of letting some employees get away with doing less than is expected. One rule for all, either you work at home or you come to the office- some should not be granted work at home all of the time when others are expected to be at the office. Have a complained box so that upper management can know what's going on in other departments.

I do not recommend after a 12 month experience in carrier sales.

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning and practicing the skill of negotiation. Understanding the transportation industry and how the supply chain functions. Company bus for commute before and after work.

Cons

I do not want to repeat myself. A lot of the Cons can be understood in a different section below. See "Advice to Management"....

Consistently practice being a professional and lead by example. Be transparent with your team. Meet with your team and individuals regularly, it will benefit everyone including you, management. Understand what is going on with your team as a whole and each contributing member, i.e.- morale, business successes and struggles/opportunities/improvements etc. (see previous sentence). Do not use disrespectful, elementary language to individuals regardless of situation or industry. Hone your skills and develop Rookies into All Stars. Stay positive. Take lunch away from your desk. Look from the outside in; be the manager you want to see leading. Keep an open mind and be willing to change if necessary. The hours of work expected out of each person ....including mandatory Saturdays.....does not seem healthy, my advice is to rethink this expectation.

What seemed like a great opportunity wasn't what I thought it would be

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young, laid back environment. Relaxed dress code, beer Fridays, company outings.

Cons

Training is long, however I still felt unprepared when I hit the sales floor. Mindless job, calls calls and more calls. The commission structure is highly unattainable, never once in my time at Echo did I break through. Management has somewhat unrealistic goals for reps. Reps are selling Echo's third party logistics services in a highly saturated market. Echo's pricing is not nearly competitive enough in a market where pricing is everything to customers. Echo is nationally traded as a technology company, yet reps find themselves on the phone with IT just about everyday to get issues resolved. You will find yourself working 9+ hour workdays and managers will guilt you into staying late. If you choose to leave at 5 you will find yourself feeling being pressured into staying late in the future or working on your weekends.

Severe favoritism ought to be avoided. Some reps are handed golden accounts and opportunities that they didn't deserve that turn into huge money making deals.

Decent entry level sales experience

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good People
    Fun Environment
    Knowledgable Management
    Happy Hours
    Fast Paced Environment. You will definitely gain sales experience through making 100 sometimes 200 calls a day.

Cons

Overstaffed and Over saturated Market
    Product is subpar to some of the competitors
    Lack of direction and guidance
    100+ calls a day

Stop hiring So many people. 10 people call the same customers daily making us all look bad.
    Find a way to make product more comparable to competitors

Echo Scottsdale: Poor leadership, low morale, & zero advancement opportunity

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are opportunities for travel at times which can be fun. The 401K is appreciated, although the match is pretty minimal. Can be a good first job to transition you into a 'real job' because of its decent location in Old Town, lack of a dress code, and younger average age.

I'm sure (I hope) the corporate office is a much more professional environment that truly has their employee's best interests at heart as well as the shareholders and customers, however, that is unfortunately not the case in Scottsdale.

Cons

I want to start by saying, heed this warning if considering employment. Management will try and get you to dismiss it as a 'disgruntled ex-employee' but, again, not the case.

I have seen more quality employees leave this office specifically due to the middle/senior management and lack of true leadership than in my time with any other company. Management makes promises that turn out to be blatant lies and barely even attempt to hide it. This includes but is not limited to the following; running sales spiffs that never pay out, promising reps to 'just keep doing what you're doing and we will take care of you', phantom team bonuses at manager's discretion that are kept as dangling carrots and dispersed (or not dispersed) without explanation.

They fully expect 10 hour days from all of their reps. Employees will literally sit there staring at each other hoping one of the others will leave first to earn the wrath of the managers well past their actual shift is done, honestly, I am not even sure if that is legal.

There are a few lucky sales reps (about 2-3 to be exact) that found their success years ago and the entire rest of the office revolves around making those few reps large amounts of money while no one else sees a dime of it. If you were not one of those first few reps - you will likely not find success financially at this branch.

As far as upward mobility, good luck. You are essentially isolated across the country from the corporate office with a small office of support staff. The best you can even hope to become is a low-level supervisor role with no authority to make impactful decisions. Only other option is to move across the country to Chicago to find alternatives at the corporate office, however, they do not offer any moving stipend to help.

Adding a 'Senior' in front of your existing title while maintaining the same daily functions is NOT a promotion.

A $30K base salary is not competitive within the industry, restructure your commission plan because currently it is nearly impossible for a rep to even earn a dime of commission within their first year of employment without hitting the lottery.

Stop telling your employees that 'the grass is never greener on the other side.' Focus on fixing your broken management style and extremely low employee morale rather than trying to trash the reputation of employees that leave and the companies that they move on to - People see right through it and it only sheds more light on your lack of solutions.​

Great company culture- needed because the job isn't always fun

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company culture, personal growth, compensation (if you stick it out)

Cons

You'll be making a ton of phone calls, all day, every day; benefits

Remember you were once where reps are now

Churn and burn factory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Echo has a very young atmosphere. It is also very casual as far as dress which I prefer. It is nice not having to dress up every day like I work in a bank or something.

Cons

Echo is basically a churn and burn factory. 70% of the people they employ are straight out of college seeking to move to Chicago from various places in the Midwest. Mostly Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin. These kids know to apply at Echo because it's fast and easy to get a job. Echo never gives raises and has horrible retirement benefits so it's in no one's interest to stay long term.

Pay people what they are worth. Have your salaries more in line with the other 3PLs (i.e. CH, Coyote, etc) and maybe you wouldn't have the turn over that you do.

If you want to see people have careers and not just jobs you need to up your retirement contributions. .5% is a joke.

Also your insurance plans are too expensive. I can't imagine having to cover a family under it. It would literally be my whole paycheck.

Good company, industry can be frustrating

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good atmosphere, good training program, they offer a lot of good benefits and everyone is there to help you.

Cons

all cold calling and don't make commission until after a year and a half most likely. Management contradicts themselves sometimes, these reasons are why a lot of people leave.

Echo Global Logistics Photos