Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated 23 April 2015
168 reviews filtered by

A unique challenge

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code
    Young work environment
    Located right next to Cabrini Green
    Low salary teaches you good budgeting
    Unique culture

Cons

Let's start with the hours. I hope you enjoy early mornings because the mandatory start time is 630am. At around 640am the megaphones come out and those who are late are berated in front of their peers by management. There is no defined end time for this role either. I like to relate it to high school; your teacher will tell you when you can leave. Unique to most companies Fridays are actually the longest day of the week at Echo. Management takes privy to making the entire floor stay late on Fridays regardless if there is no work left to be done. It's a very interesting management philosophy to say the least.

As for compensation... Don't expect much. With roughly a 300% increase in department size in the past year commission is harder to come by. Management does do a good job showcasing the select few individuals that have stuck with the company and make decent money. However, don't expect to make more than $35,000 your first year. Keep in mind management has just slashed compensation on the customer side by roughly 20-25% so that first year salary figure may decrease.

At the end of the day you need to come into this job with low expectations. Carrier reps are regarded as glorified truck dispatchers and are at the bottom of the totem pole at Echo. If logistics is an industry that interests you I would recommend pursuing the client sales side. The hours are much more relaxed and the perks are much better (craft beers vs warm miller lite, team outings vs Friday night lock ins, etc.)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Investors are getting great end over end results and the hire rate has been high enough to offset the burn out rate. Just be careful with over hiring. Low salary helps hedge the risk but it's important to scale your growth.

Mar 25, 2015Director of Carrier Sales

We appreciate your feedback. I do understand the hours may be considered long but this is made clear before we bring anyone into Carrier Sales. Part of the reason we're increasing our staffing is to ... More

Frazzled, mixed up and hectic.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free beer on every Friday.

Cons

Transportation software is extremely difficult to navigate. Overly complex. Large bureacracy with minimal direction.

Advice to Management

Be careful with Beer Friday. Liability is an issue.

Feb 16, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for writing a review! Sorry to hear you find our technology difficult to navigate, the Learning & Development team would be happy to provide extra training if need be. They can be reached at ... More

3. Thankful for the experience

Former Employee - Learning and Development in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Learning and Development in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A young, energetic culture; a well-designed workplace environment in a nice work building (same one as Groupon); constant growth and change

Cons

Young managers; egos; not a lot of growth opportunity; male-dominated industry; poor salary

Advice to Management

getting better, keep pushing yourself to be better to your people and try harder to retain the good ones.

Jan 13, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Your feedback is appreciated. Here at Echo, we know that “Better is the Only Option” (one of our core values) and will keep striving to cultivate a balanced and fair work environment for all ... More

Different sides=different worlds

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative

I worked at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

You can occasionally win a prize.

Cons

You will work 10 hour days (minimum), taking lunch and time off is frowned upon no matter how much time you are given, low comission and comission is nearly impossible to hit. The only way you get comission is by being shady towards other coworkers and stealing their carriers or inheriting carriers from previous employees. Managers play favorites and it is painfully obvious. When one person quits they will give all their carriers to their friends. Horribly unprofessional. Coworkers do not respect each other so you spend as much time arguing with your peers as you do with your carriers. Hostile environment. Burnout employees very quickly and have no intention of bettering their turnover rate. I would steer clear of carrier sales. If you are going to work here I would want to be on the customer side or operations.

Advice to Management

Promote managers based off management skills, not just rate knowledge. Encourage management and employees to remain professional as it is a conflict of interest to have management out partying with their employees. Work life balance is truly something that can make employees happy and enjoy working for a company. I felt when working here I had NO personal life time. They are on the right track with their culture but unfortunately the carrier side of things is straight up about numbers. Treat employees like human beings, train management how to actually develop employees and help them better themselves instead of just screaming all day about loads and shouting out rates.

Feb 16, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for the feedback. There’s no question that sales is a challenging job anywhere and requires a lot of hard work to get ramped up. We invest a lot in training and do everything we can to provide ... More

6. Echo is a results driven company. You can make money if you work hard and get lucky

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Hard work can pay off
    -Easy to transfer positions

Cons

-Often micromanaged
    -High stress customer relationship management

7. Good starting place

I worked at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Environment is casual and great for job seekers right out of college

Cons

can be a bit like a frat house

Jan 13, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for your comments! We agree that Echo is a great place to start a career for new grads because of our comprehensive training program and continuous investment in career development. Work/life ... More

8. The Dallas Branch is a family, and while Echo is a large corporation, this branch makes you feel right at home.

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Management truly cares about the success of their personnel in this branch. Even if you are struggling, if you seek help, you will find someone (whether it be a peer or a supervisor/manager) that is willing to help. If you put in the work, you WILL be rewarded. The Dallas branch exemplifies the "work hard play hard" mentality very well.

Cons

You have to adopt, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" mentality when trying to get answers from corporate in Chicago. The job is truly a grind when starting out, and can be fairly stressful.

Advice to Management

Consistent feedback provided to sales reps. There are campaigns for monthly reviews, call reviews, pipeline reviews, but they are not consistent. If the feedback operates like clock-work, then your sales reps will grow.

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for writing a review! It is great to hear you feel supported by management and your teammates. Clear and consistent feedback is crucial for personal and professional growth in the workplace ... More

9. Hard Work Pays Off!

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Echo offers a truly great service and is very competitive in the industry. That being said, the more calls that you make in a day leads to closing more business which ultimately leads to more money - typical of any sales role, but Echo's service is competitive and continually sought after.

Cons

Getting used to the amount of calls that are required in order to succeed here. Gotta get your foot in the door and cold calling is the way to do it. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature and you see the monetary benefits!

Jan 13, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for living our core values. It is clear you are self-motivated (“Bring Your Own…”) and give your best effort at work (“Work Hard and Hustle”).

10. Echo Global Logistics- Dallas office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Echo truly values their employees and does everything they can to make sure they have a good experience here. Frequent free meals from supervisors for doing what they ask of you, beer on Fridays, and a lot of team work that is actually helpful. The branch manager is seriously the nicest, most loving person I have yet to work for. I have stayed at this job pretty much for him and all he does for us. The office is extremely laid back, which is really awesome.

Cons

The job itself is really frustrating. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to hit commission. Echo sets you up for success though, they give you everything you might need (and more) to do well. The job is rewarding at times when you hit goals. Training is long and boring at times. Calling people all day can get frustrating too.

Advice to Management

I love the management

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for your review! It is great to hear you enjoy the work environment and management. We admit the logistics industry can be crazy at times-please let HR or your Supervisor know if there is ... More

Good job

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun and friendly environment. Everyone is really supportive of each other. It looks like there are good opportunities for growth and development. It's a young crowd and a good place to start a sales career.

Cons

It can be very frustrating. I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training. There are still a few things I struggle with.

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are glad you are getting the support you need! Please feel free to reach out to your Supervisor or the Learning and Development team for ... More

Echo Global Logistics Photos