Ecolab Reviews

Updated 29 October 2014
Updated 29 October 2014

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Only real plus is having a company vehicle to take home with gas & insurance taken care of (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60 (in 39 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place if you Want to Drive Change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of change happening drivien by strong growth pattern and M&A. This gives people the opportunity to take on challenges and drive beyond what more stable companies would offer. Opportunity for personal development, but you have to drive it very proactively.
    The climate is very friendly and informal, you can count on people to help / work collaboratively.

Cons

So much change and growth has led to complexity that the Company is trying to address by putting teams together, improving processes and tools and egnaging employees more broadly.

Continue to make Ecolab simpler while keeping the fantastic customer focus and the warm & friendly culture

An organisation going through significant change in Europe creating opportunities for challenging assignments

I have been working at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Right now its dynamic with lots of organisational change aimed at improving the performance of the European business, so if your looking for a role centered on leading the business to a better place from a "how we get things done around here" point of view then this is where you want to be.

Cons

As with all change environments there is pain along the journey and the activities behind the scenes can make the life of those at the coal face operating the business and delivering to customers frustrating at times. The experience from the perspective of being an employee can be patchy, but then if you're doing work you like this can compensate

There needs to be more communication face to face with employees from all levels of leadership about the journey the business is on and why it makes sense. Employees need the opportunity to ask questions and hear answers. They need to be convinced that their immediate management feel included and listened to as plans and change agendas are rolled out

In the uk low pay for the pest control techs

Current Employee - Service Specialist in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Service Specialist in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For pest technicians it is low pay , poor morale , two different companies here , the US version and the much poorer UK version

Cons

Unlike the us benefits are for the management only , if you are at the bottom then you certainly know it.
    No room for progession , Poor upper management , no support in the field

Come and live on our wages and conditions , stop trying to run this company from your laptop and get out in the field and see what us UK techs have to cope with

Doesnt matter we will just get another one in...the words of a division manager..

Former Employee - Territory Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in London, England

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very easy job, not much stress

Cons

Very little uk, employee value, this is a company that prides itself on loyalty to the company, but there is NO financial reward. If your looking for a progressive UK company, this ones is currently not it. Major middle/upper management issues. Poor business models, clients leaving as quick as possible. Ashame, with the right focus could be a good company to work for...

The people doing the TM role, are the frontline, they are the ones who go out and see the customers on a day-to-day basis. If you cant talk to them with an honest and rewarding future, then tell them, dont keep them in the dark. Nobody likes to try and create a career where the goalposts are never set/near.

Great benefits, fantastic stocks, a company of hyper workaholics and sales drivers.

Former Employee - Sales Service Route Manager in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Service Route Manager in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, great benefits, opportunities to move up, most people in upper management started out in the field. Solid company with high ethical standards. Company vehicle, phone, and uniforms.

Cons

Upper management is always looking for ways to drive sales. They push the field service reps for higher numbers at all levels. They like quantifiable stats so reps are always filling out quota reports and are pushed for more and more info. I was a good service person but only fair at sales. When our division went to commission just as the economy slowed in 2009 my pay dropped significantly but my work load increased even more. If you are type A that loves to sell, good for you but you have to fix complex problems and deal with frantic customers who are hours away and demanding instant service late on a Saturday night. You cover a large territory and when you're our someone has to drive for hours to take your calls and visa-versa. You get time off but have to work like heck before and after to keep up. It's part of the job but it can be tough after a while.

I know many people who are good at service but feel super stressed with the sales focus. I also know some who enjoy the sales but can't deal with the difficult service calls. Good troubleshooters and mechanics rarely make good sales people. It stresses them out and makes the quality of life not so good. I liked talking with customers about solutions I believed in but I hated being forced to do it to hit some quota and make some middle managers look good upstairs.

Great Company!

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I recommend working for Ecolab to get a quick deep dive into learning the business.

Cons

No training, very little leadership at mid level organization.

Great Company

Current Employee - TSM
    Current Employee - TSM

I have been working at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Fantastic benefits and pay. GREAT products. Doing something that matters is a plus also.

Cons

Work / life is not so balanced

Reformed policies to ensure better work life balance

A good career choice for a driven individual

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the job is similar to a franchisee arrangement. you have a great deal of control over your schedule and path of growing your business.Ecolab looks after all the expenses while you are in charge of the revenue side. The more you sell the more you make. A successful TM can expect to grow his salary by 10% every year. Company vehicle is provided that you can use personally. Lots of awards and accolades are passed along for those doing well.

Cons

A higher then normal work week. 50-55 hours would be the norm. Weekend call expectations typically are once a month. Like most large companies $ drive the engine. They have been penny pinching more and more over the last decade despite the fact their O.I is almost 35%. No more company outings, trips for strong performers, national meetings are a thing of the past.. Very few perks that you would normally get with a large successful company.

Listen to your work force. Ecolab was once a great place to work because we felt listened to and valued. Many people over the last 5-8 years have been feeling more like a replaceable cog in a wheel then a respected, valued part of a successful organization

Great but be willing to play the game

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at Ecolab as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of work, rapidly growing company. The are expanding all over the world. Alot of employees have worked there for many years.

Cons

Difficult to get ahead as a woman. If you want to succeed you must be willing to play the game and not necessarily agree with the senior leadership.

Really consider who you are hiring for senior leadershp. What is their motivation? How do they treat their employees? Vendors? Consultants?

Stable, Growing Company with Positive Values and a lot of Growth Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability; promising industry; professional growth opportunities; busy; fast-paced; positive impact on the world - feel like you're playing a part to help to make the world cleaner, safer, healthier; great people to learn from and work with; customer focused; opportunity to have impact in your work

Cons

Limited budget-fiscally conservative (however, the reason for stability and longevity); lack of work/life balance - for the most part, people operate to max capacity