Ecolab

Ecolab Reviews

Updated 24 November 2014
Updated 24 November 2014
3.1

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Only real plus is having a company vehicle to take home with gas & insurance taken care of (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60 (in 39 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place if you Want to Drive Change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of change happening drivien by strong growth pattern and M&A. This gives people the opportunity to take on challenges and drive beyond what more stable companies would offer. Opportunity for personal development, but you have to drive it very proactively.
    The climate is very friendly and informal, you can count on people to help / work collaboratively.

Cons

So much change and growth has led to complexity that the Company is trying to address by putting teams together, improving processes and tools and egnaging employees more broadly.

Continue to make Ecolab simpler while keeping the fantastic customer focus and the warm & friendly culture

An organisation going through significant change in Europe creating opportunities for challenging assignments

I have been working at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Right now its dynamic with lots of organisational change aimed at improving the performance of the European business, so if your looking for a role centered on leading the business to a better place from a "how we get things done around here" point of view then this is where you want to be.

Cons

As with all change environments there is pain along the journey and the activities behind the scenes can make the life of those at the coal face operating the business and delivering to customers frustrating at times. The experience from the perspective of being an employee can be patchy, but then if you're doing work you like this can compensate

There needs to be more communication face to face with employees from all levels of leadership about the journey the business is on and why it makes sense. Employees need the opportunity to ask questions and hear answers. They need to be convinced that their immediate management feel included and listened to as plans and change agendas are rolled out

In the uk low pay for the pest control techs

Current Employee - Service Specialist in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Service Specialist in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For pest technicians it is low pay , poor morale , two different companies here , the US version and the much poorer UK version

Cons

Unlike the us benefits are for the management only , if you are at the bottom then you certainly know it.
    No room for progession , Poor upper management , no support in the field

Come and live on our wages and conditions , stop trying to run this company from your laptop and get out in the field and see what us UK techs have to cope with

Doesnt matter we will just get another one in...the words of a division manager..

Former Employee - Territory Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in London, England

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very easy job, not much stress

Cons

Very little uk, employee value, this is a company that prides itself on loyalty to the company, but there is NO financial reward. If your looking for a progressive UK company, this ones is currently not it. Major middle/upper management issues. Poor business models, clients leaving as quick as possible. Ashame, with the right focus could be a good company to work for...

The people doing the TM role, are the frontline, they are the ones who go out and see the customers on a day-to-day basis. If you cant talk to them with an honest and rewarding future, then tell them, dont keep them in the dark. Nobody likes to try and create a career where the goalposts are never set/near.

Very promising future for this company.

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Eagan, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Eagan, MN (US)

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture and work/life balance is incredible for such a large company. You're not just another number, here, and schedules are very flexible. Everyone is very friendly and helpful and is personally motivated to do their best and to do what's right. Lots of volunteering, intramural sports and the typical perks and discounts associated with a large company. Ecolab makes employees a priority-- recently evidenced by a company-wide survey. The company has been consistently growing, even during the economic downturn. Definitely a good 'bandwagon' to be on.

Cons

Vacation time is standard 2 weeks, would like to have more.

Great people, great environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN (US)

I have been working at Ecolab as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

My department seems to have it right when it comes to balancing life-work. Have had nothing but good experiences with the people around me. For a corporate environment I actually enjoy the day to day, don't feel like I'm getting drowned by policies and paperwork for everything.

Cons

Wish I was more than just contract position, would like to have the job security of a direct hire.

Good company that is still growing

Current Employee - Service Specialist in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Service Specialist in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company vehicle, fuel, insurance

Cons

No overtime pay

Reward more money or incentives

Was great, downhill after acquisitions

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Eagan, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Eagan, MN (US)

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Originally great teamwork, lots of opportunity to learn and try different areas in your department. Two of the projects I am most proud of to date happened at Ecolab. CEO does a great job from my viewpoint. Benefits are decent, stock purchase plan is nice.

Cons

Some overbearing management overshadows some of the other great leaders. After two acquisitions the sprawl of management and extreme bureaucracy makes life stressful. Teamwork has decreased. I don't think the employees are less willing to help, but they can't keep up with unrealistic workload and expectations . So much time is spent fighting fires that thinking long term and truly fixing issues doesn't get much attention.

Management has lost touch with the employees and what is operationally reasonable. Work life balance is out the window. Sometimes spending money toward a long term enterprise solution is worth it. Stop stepping over dollars to pickup nickels.

Route sales manager

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Route Sales Manager

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good earning potential if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

Long hours and weekends.

Admin Assist

Current Employee - Administrative Assist in Naperville, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assist in Naperville, IL (US)

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly working environment. Busy, learned something new every day.

Cons

Laid off after injury. HR has not helped or assisted in finding a position.